CTD when trying to go outside

Hello,

I've had my fair share of problems with Skyrim. I've got ctd's, lag spikes, scripting problems and a whole other bunch of things that I can't even explain but I can live with those things. But now I got a problem that makes me unable to continue playing Skyrim: Everytime I try to go outside or load a previous save that's not in a building I crash to desktop. I tried several things but nothing seems to work.

You can find a lot of info here: http://modwat.ch/denwijnen#/plugins

And you can find the dxdiag and papyrus logs under attachments.

I use MO, SKSE, FNIS, Wrye, Loot and TES5Edit.

Thanks in advance.

DxDiag.txt

papyrus logs.rar

Without looking at your papyrus I can tell you the problem, a missing master or dependency, you delete or deactivate a .esm or .esp necessary for other plugin to work, that's why you have a CTD from the beginning. Search in MO, on the right panel and tell me if you see a warning icon (the usual red triangle).

There's also a possibility of a corrupt or mismatched skeleton (particularly those BBP types of plug-ins) when you try tweaking skeleton mid game. Had this experience once. Anywhere a game that's saved within a small confined compound is okay. Try going out into the open space will instantly CTD. Had to reinstall the skeleton from square one.

Without looking at your papyrus I can tell you the problem, a missing master or dependency, you delete or deactivate a .esm or .esp necessary for other plugin to work, that's why you have a CTD from the beginning. Search in MO, on the right panel and tell me if you see a warning icon (the usual red triangle).

I'm not missing any masters, I checked for that first. What I forgot to mention is that it happened suddenly while I was playing. It was fine one minute and the next I couldn't exit Dragonsreach.

It could be also an environment mod crashing everytime you go outside.. but your papyrus is huge, and full of errors.
So let start from the beginning.. What is the more recent mod you install before you start experiment CTD on load?

It could be also an environment mod crashing everytime you go outside.. but your papyrus is huge, and full of errors.

So let start from the beginning.. What is the more recent mod you install before you start experiment CTD on load?

Well, I had some CTD's while loading since the start of the game but those happened once every few hours so I just lived with those. The most recent mods I installed since these constant CTD's are Helgen Reborn, Lost Grimoire of Skyrim, Airship Dev Aveza and Recruit more blades - SkyhaventempleEnhanced but I don't think any of those mods should cause this problem.

ookkkkk so is more than one mod, and the worse thing is that if Helgen Reborn is the problem (I doubt it but..) you can uninstall that mod without breaking skyrim.
Let talk about your save... is a fresh one or you have tons of hours of play?.... are you emotionally attached to your save? are you afraid to lose it and start a new one?
Because my answer could be good, good+ or good++, bad or bad-- depending on that... :/

ookkkkk so is more than one mod, and the worse thing is that if Helgen Reborn is the problem (I doubt it but..) you can uninstall that mod without breaking skyrim.

Let talk about your save... is a fresh one or you have tons of hours of play?.... are you emotionally attached to your save? are you afraid to lose it and start a new one?

Because my answer could be good, good+ or good++, bad or bad-- depending on that... :/

I've played 100+ hours on that save so it wouldn't be ideal to start all over, I just think it's weird that I could play normally and suddenly this problem pops up out of nowhere.

My first guess, after only reading your post, would be memory problems. You said you're using SKSE, have you already manually created the SKSE.ini file to give the memory blocks more memory? 

If you have done that already, my next guess would be mods that have the constant updates via cloak spells. I haven't checked your load order but mods like, SL Aroused, Frostfall, Wet and Cold, Dual Sheath Redux, are just some examples. Too many of those mods running can cause CTD as they're all jostling for position when trying to update.

Beyond that, an issue that caused CTD for me and others is XPMSE 2.70+ skeleton. Not everyone has a problem with 2.70+ skeleton but some, like myself, have problems using it. I rolled back to 2.63 and it fixed those CTDs when loading saves while in game, or upon death.

My first guess, after only reading your post, would be memory problems. You said you're using SKSE, have you already manually created the SKSE.ini file to give the memory blocks more memory? 

If you have done that already, my next guess would be mods that have the constant updates via cloak spells. I haven't checked your load order but mods like, SL Aroused, Frostfall, Wet and Cold, Dual Sheath Redux, are just some examples. Too many of those mods running can cause CTD as they're all jostling for position when trying to update.

Beyond that, an issue that caused CTD for me and others is XPMSE 2.70+ skeleton. Not everyone has a problem with 2.70+ skeleton but some, like myself, have problems using it. I rolled back to 2.63 and it fixed those CTDs when loading saves while in game, or upon death.

Hmm, no I have not given the memory blocks more memory and I do have frostfall, wet and cold and DSR. I'll try to do that memory thing.

If you have trouble getting it set up here's a short guide:

Navigate to where you have installed Steam on your PC, then go through the folders Steam/SteamApps/common/Skyrim/Data/skse

Open the skse folder, right click and select "new text document" and name it "skse.ini"

Open up the new text document and type the following:

[Display]

iTintTextureResolution=(what ever value you wish, mine is set at 2048 but it can range from 256 to 4096, so mine looks like this: iTintTextureResolution=2048 )

[General]

ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

I looked at your papyrus in detail, beside the hundred of missing esp and master warnings, the last thing you have there, apparently,  is a problem with Lost Grimoire of Skyrim.
Run your last save you have before you install it, but without that mod.
Also, revert your skse.ini to the default values.

[Display]
iTintTextureResolution=2048

[General]
ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

[Memory]
DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768
ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

lol at the same time Swissenergy...

Thanks! Sorry for hijacking this thread. *runs off*

Hope it works for you, if you're not sure that you've set the .ini file correctly and you can't tell if it's working, install Memory Block Log

This mod creates a simple log file that shows you how much memory each block has been given, and how much each has used.

Block 1 should have 512MB

Block 2 should have 256MB

I've attached my last log file if you need a reference.

MemoryBlocksLog.log

Where to put that skse.ini if he uses MO? (I'm stealing useful hints here cause I want to try that ini, too :) )

I have a mod folder called overwrite which goes at the bottom of my installed mods. It's where I place all the files that went into the overwrite folder such as the files created by FNIS generator. I then add a directory called skse and I place SKSE.ini in that directory. So without MO it would look like this ...\Skyrim\Data\SKSE . Thanks to your question I found out that I didn't install the file in my latest mod setup! So thank you.

Keep in mind that lots of rez mods don't have an esp so if you want people to know what you've installed then you'll need to show us MO's left hand window. Keep in mind that for some reason that file show the mod's in reverse order. CTD when going outside is kind of a classic sign that your swamping your video memory. Even without a single 4k mod installed I was going over 3gig's of video memory so I had to cut back to the lite version's of Skyrim HD 2k  and even then I go over 2gigs of video memory when outside.

denwijnen, your save is full of missing dependencies, scripting errors, etc. You could possibly have several mods in conflict, one of them the was the last straw that breaks the camel's back. So... It will be complicate to fix your problem, that's why the correct way to do it is by installing mods one by one, or following the correct guide..

At this point, if you want to keep your current playthrough, you need to try to clean your saves. There are several tools you can use, each will try to help clean your save by doing this such as: removing orphan scripts (scripts that are still in the save even though the mod they rely on is no longer there). I'll link two of them for you, the first looks a little more intimidating just from the description but works very well, and the second is a little simpler looking. Honestly I recommend both, but just pick which ever one you want and use it.

Savegame Script Scalpel

Save game Script Cleaner

Install one, or both, and follow the instructions to clean your saves. Once you've done that, see how the game runs.

Edit: Another important note, it's almost never a good idea to uninstall mods during a playthrough. Unless you are absolutely 100% sure that the mod will not leave anything behind, don't uninstall it. Uninstalling mods mid-playthrough is just asking for trouble, sometimes you can get away with it but the risk is never worth the reward in this case, at least for me. 

At this point, if you want to keep your current playthrough, you need to try to clean your saves. There are several tools you can use, each will try to help clean your save by doing this such as: removing orphan scripts (scripts that are still in the save even though the mod they rely on is no longer there). I'll link two of them for you, the first looks a little more intimidating just from the description but works very well, and the second is a little simpler looking. Honestly I recommend both, but just pick which ever one you want and use it.

Savegame Script Scalpel

Save game Script Cleaner

Install one, or both, and follow the instructions to clean your saves. Once you've done that, see how the game runs.

Edit: Another important note, it's almost never a good idea to uninstall mods during a playthrough. Unless you are absolutely 100% sure that the mod will not leave anything behind, don't uninstall it. Uninstalling mods mid-playthrough is just asking for trouble, sometimes you can get away with it but the risk is never worth the reward in this case, at least for me. 

I think its worth the risk to uninstall script mods that hit hard performance wise.

Though following a guide on its uninstallation with a script cleaner is important cause the obvious button just doesn't get the job done right.

Archived