View File

Hey guys! I’m just starting to try and learn how to use the Creation Kit and Tes5Edit, and I thought that some of you guys might find this mod useful. It adds Devious Device restraints keys and piercing removal tools to certain levelled lists; this gives an alternate way of finding keys.

More specifically, Silver Hands, Guards, Common Citizens, Bandits, and the Forsworn now have a 5% chance of holding restraints keys or piercing tools, at an 8 to 1 ratio. This mod contains no scripts or large changes, and has been cleaned (not that such a small-scale mod like this needs cleaning).

I actually prefer this to using DD for the Masses or Deviously Cursed Loot, as the lack of scripts really helps with performance, especially on weaker computers. Additionally, as it only edits levelled lists, it’s really easy to merge/bash with other mods, and is very easy to remove.

I could also upload alternative .esps’, if anyone’s interested; I could change drop percentages and ratios, add chastity keys as a drop, add them into other lists/npcs, and so on. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately even though scripts made by script mod authors are super awesome, the thing is leveled lists are the better approach when applicable for performance reasons.

I wish more authors would use the listings or package up an outside application like proccer that creates a leveled list.

This is a good idea.

I looked into it and I must say, that in its current state, the mod is fantastic.
No performance loss, which is one thing I have to look for with around 300 mods.

Yay!  Responses!  I was getting really, really nervous, lol

Xela_, would you prefer a version with chastity keys, and/or a lack of other kinds of keys?  What drop rates would you prefer?  What proportion of chastity vs restraint vs piercing key would you prefer?

I like being a bit frustrated, so having only a small chance finding chastity keys, would be in my opinion fine.

However I didn't thought about the ratio or the percentage, but I don't think it is unbalanced, because in my 2 hours of mod test run, I didn't have much keys, or wasn't restraint like mad.

Would it defeat the purpose of the mod to add a MCM menu with changeable drop ratios for the various keys?

Unfortunately, it probably would in most cases; an MCM menu would require the use of scripts, which in turn would slow down papyrus and add to script load.  As it stands, this mod, and any variations I might make, will only add two objects to the game, meaning that it will have no performance impact whatsoever (probably not literally true but I can’t think of any circumstances where it would).  When I become more competent at modding, I do wish to create a mod-creating framework that give users a quick and easy way to create their own mods (like ReProccer, which I didn’t know existed until I read GamePlayer’s post - I’ll definitely look into it later and see if I can cannibalize the code somehow).  Creation Kit is powerful, but really slow and clunky; there has to a be a more convenient way to do things for the average player.

That’s actually my ultimate goal, and my reason for trying to learn to mod: I saw skytweak, and thought that it’d be cool to have a similar application that generated esps instead of applying changes in-game through scripts.  Ideally, you’d be able to generate any and all changes you’d want without going through Creation Kit, and possibly create custom spells as well (annoyingly, to create custom spell descriptions, you need to create your own magical effects, which is tedious).

As for now, I’ll upload a slightly altered version of the mod; it’s basically the same, but there’s now a chance of finding chastity keys as well.  You have a 5% chance of finding a key; 80% will be restraints keys, 10% will be chastity keys, and 10% will be piercing removal tool.  That comes down to a total of: 4% chance of finding a restraint key, 1% chance of finding a chastity key, and 1% chance of finding a piercing removal tool.

Also, I feel as if it’s important to note that this mod is COMPLETELY safe to uninstall and reinstall at any time; as long as you keep Devious Devices in your load order, there’s NOTHING this mod could leave behind that wouldn’t be useful to you or recognized by the game.

I might have some wild edits in there because I did it quickly and was editting another mod at the same time, so if you notice anything really weird please tell me!  I'll look through and make sure it's clean later when I get the chance.

Try this out, Xela?  Tell me how you like the droprates?

Also, holy shit that's a lot of mods.  Could you tell me your load order?  I'm really curious.

Key20 - Chastity.esp

Well I have a lot of experience making leveled lists for the Fallout games.

I just never got around to it for Skyrim because it seemed like the population had gotten too used to scripted mods adding stuff dynamically.  Which to be honest always made my knee jerk in how stupid it really is.

See the Scripts in a lot of Dynamic Mods are having to run when new NPC's and Lootable containers are loaded into your game.

This means nothing on a game that doesn't have many mods running but that's not how I mod.  I'm sure there are a lot of end-users that have long load orders with a heavy hand of immersion mods that all need to push scripts on every cell we enter.

Some mods off the top of my head that use scripts to place items into the game upon cell load.

Immersive Armors, Forgotten Magic, Dynamic Loot, there are more I just haven't woke up yet.

Re-Proccor is nice when its used to create a leveled list but I cant think of a good one right now, last one I looked at was designed to add custom enchantments and add all modded items into the leveled list, which would be awesome if I didn't also have to have the custom enchantments unbalancing my game XD

Hey good luck with this.

I used Fo3edit, FnVedit, and TesVedit to make lists faster than say the Construction Kit.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

omg thank you so much for this, as someone who has problems running deviously cursed loot with heavy load orders, this is fantastic, now i can play around with devices and actually have keys to get out of them! i know this is an old post, but i just had to tell you that this is appreciated : )

Anything to reduce the script count is a plus in my book. Anyway though Since an MCM menu would be counter productive perhaps a FOMOD installer or whatever they are called would be helpful here. Could make several different lists with various % chances and have the user pick what they want during installation. Not sure if that's viable. Either way though thanks for this mod.

• 2 months later...

I've been looking for something like this and for the same reasons. I do think that including chastity keys is a good idea and at the same rate or even higher than restraints keys. Locksmithing was a booming business in history when chastity belts were actually used :D

My bad, just now saw that they've been included.

• 1 year later...

HiSeems like this mod is causing me to crash on loading my save.  Had multiple devious device mods working fine thenadded tis and started crashing.  Removing fixed it immediately.  Does this require a new game to use?  I installed with nexus mood manager and it showed no missing dependencies.  Also used loot to sort order.  Playingskyrim legendary (NOT the special edition)