The next stage: The Witcher 3

Sacremas

Killing cows was never because of XP, it's an exploit peaple on low lvl were using to farm and sell their hides, as a result breaking the game's economy.

XP bug is still present even after the latest patch. It's related to some quests, that do not give you experience even if they are in range of your lvl.

Actually with every patch released CDPR managed to break more things then fix them. From overall graphical and performance downgrade to game mechanics and quests.

I see, didn't try it or heard about it before the last patch so I wouldn't know. Not seeing anything broken to be honest, still playing as well as ever and still not understanding what is the big deal about the changes made in the graphics. Even if I do think there is a need for some mods so our PCs can work at full power, the game is still beautiful. I mean it's the prettiest graphics on an open world RPG ever made at the moment, can't understand why folks think they deserve better.

I'm not trying to be negative about the game, I'm just reading a lot about it on official forums and had some first hand experience with different patches myself. At the moment I don't have any game breaking issues, except for may be alchemy, but I can live without it till next patch, but a lot of other people and I mean a lot, have serious problems introduced by latest patches.

What's important and it's pure speculation, but I think (and not only me) that the game has the same build for all 3 platforms. When they do something to make the console version run better, they sacrifice some graphic fidelity and naturally the PC version suffers from it too.

I'm with CDPR for the time being. They could have done a better job with patch testing, but they want to please the crowd and sometimes like in their own game you can do more harm than good. Let's hope the next patch will be better.

I'm not trying to be negative about the game, I'm just reading a lot about it on official forums and had some first hand experience with different patches myself. At the moment I don't have any game breaking issues, except for may be alchemy, but I can live without it till next patch, but a lot of other people and I mean a lot, have serious problems introduced by latest patches.

What's important and it's pure speculation, but I think (and not only me) that the game has the same build for all 3 platforms. When they do something to make the console version run better, they sacrifice some graphic fidelity and naturally the PC version suffers from it too.

I'm with CDPR for the time being. They could have done a better job with patch testing, but they want to please the crowd and sometimes like in their own game you can do more harm than good. Let's hope the next patch will be better.

Dunno and don't care about other people, I understand my own version of the game may be different cross platforms or something, and others may have difficulties. Same as any game if you ask me though. But yes, okay, it's pretty annoying when it happens in a RPG, even more so when it blocks you from carrying on the story line. Hope that gets fixed soon, and even more so, hope that doesn't happen to me lol. 

But, knowing CDPR's history on patches (dat patch for Witcher 2...), they should address all those big problems one at a time, and carry on fixing the game for a long time, even shit a huge ass thing as they did for W2 maybe, with some luck. I mean with the number of patches, they just gotta get things right at one point and solve game breaking bugs. 

Wonder how many of us are contemplating fixing that ending with a RedKit mod?

Worst part is no one will manage to do it as fucking well as CDPR did. It's so well written and so well voice acted that I don't see anyone except CDPR themselves edit it masterfully. Really the problem is not the writing in itself, but the amount of it. For example, I'd have like just one other side quest with Triss which brings some closure to their story, make them part ways either on really bad terms or on really good terms, something like that. Instead it's like she's just ... gone y'know ?

The sequence where she leaves for Kovir ain't even a final farewell, I mean she comes back like salt in your wounds, and this time she's just angry at you, or worse, she ignores you to concentrate only on the subject of the main quest line. I hope the DLCs are so well done that they fix this thing totally, I mean I'm fucking sad as hell, if not for the story pushing me towards Yen with that Priscilla song, I'd have def chosen Triss...

Something simple, like the Letho quest, and as trdp suggested, there is soo much dialogue and animation already in place -- doing similar to what many Skyrim modders have done -- cut and paste. I'm already taking notes.

Doing the mountain retreat abode for a happy love triangle should be a cake walk, I'll start day one of RedKit release. Or, just have them staying about Kaer Morhen. So many things to mod, some that just didn't make the cut. There needs to be a forth option for what becomes of Yen and Triss -- I'm thinking a subtle, but popular option for the LL like-minded; they become lovers, using Geralt as a sex toy whenever he does anything manly..

There also needs to be companions/followers for questing, post campaign. I'd bet this will be part of an official release however, to improve the sandbox qualities of W3. We'll likely see many of these characters re-appear in official expansions as well. Good business practice for CDPR, leaving important things feeling 'unresolved'. Sell more stuff that way. 

Might also explore alternative to Sile de Tansarville ending; CDPR just farted this one out, worst decision is --no decision-- pretending to be a decision, big throw-away. Hate when writers do the typical "tie up loose ends" by bludgeon or axe. W3 writing is derivative and ok, sometimes transcends not as a rule, but an exception. The novels are great, pacing is different in a video game. 

Guest Vendayn

Yeah, I've ignored quest exp and all the goofy functionality CDPR is getting wrong, sans proper level scaling. Similar to Community-Uncapper, you can just fix the game by upping exp to a multiple of x 5-10 for killing monster/bandits -- there does not seem to be a level restriction on mob exp, so you'll get exp regardless. Ignore the quest exp, or just set it to zero and focus on kill exp and you may find yourself challenging everything that moves. At higher levels of difficulty this seems to work really well -- you'll see your exp bar bump up after a long-fought harrowing battle with a red-skulled mob. 

Does using this mod make the game harder? Cause even on hardest difficulty, it kind of gets easy. Get really powerful equipment, plus my abilities and I'm going around owning everything. I'd start over ...(I ended up missing a lot of things in first area anyway, like I had no idea there was treasure to find and what not lol. Lots of secrets I missed :P)...if this makes it a lot harder.

Probably have to wait for difficulty mods or new game plus, but in the mean time...does the mod make things more challenging?

If it does, any settings you recommend for the mod? like 0 quest exp, and 2x monster experience or something?

@Vendayn, that's the inherent issue with dated, poorly described rpg and mmos, they've not yet evolved into a Skill Based paradigm. They use levels as a way to cheeze through content when lacking skill to do otherwise; it's helpful to make games cheeze-able, to support the largest audience (consoles). Levels as a "difficulty gate" is bad game design, poorly managed mechanics, and just plain development laziness. Without Level Scaling the rpg is dead in the water once the pc gains sufficient advancements, obviating challenging content throughout the game world. Stupidly easy seems to be the consensus for W3 once above lvl 20, -- unanimous consensus.  

Properly modded Skyrim and Guild Wars Original (perhaps Ultima Online) are the first true skill based rpg (soon Star Citizen). Your character advances, learns new cool tricks, but the enemies keep pace with your growth -- you don't necessarily gain general stats, instead you gain talents -- W3 did this properly, but failed to follow through the rest of the way. It's a cut an paste from too many other games without proper foresight into -- "shit, the game is cheezy now that I have a few talents..."

Sorry for the long answer: it just pisses me off that such a beautiful game is so fundamentally flawed at its core. No fore-thought for end-game structure. But, it's really just a 'story book' game for the most part, with trappings of sandbox for flair. 

so mods, assuming we get a modding kit, are the only way to fix this mess with Level Scaling. Guild Wars Original did something called "Hard Mode", once your pc has all the *bling*, you enter a far more difficult and rewarding game-world, things scale beyond the players abilities. Hopefully this, or level scaling are mod-able features. Until then you'll just need to gimp yourself, as so many others are now seeming to do.

I personally prefer faster skill/talent gains (via mod linked) but much higher difficulty -- I guess just use tier 1 gear throughout the next play-thru? Until someone fixes the mess.  

Guest Vendayn

Well, the mod above that was linked. I can at least turn off the quest exp and lower the monster experience so I level a lot slower. So I won't be nearly as OP. And the abilities you can train with points aren't that great anyway....mostly just percentage buffs. I'd turn off all the exp, but I dunno how playable the game would be then later on and I wouldn't be able to use the cool DLC stuff. And eventually I'd be back to where I started in my current game, except just longer to get there.

You are right though, the current system seems kinda fail. Early game is the best part in witcher 3, then after that its too easy. And I like looking good, and the better gear looks good :P

Well i don't agree with you at all crusher you obvious approach games very strangely but why i don't agree most is you praise Skyrims approach wich i absolutely don't understand???.. it's one worse ever systems Skyrim only is difficult with mods and Skyrim xp lvling system vanilla was total joke.

Skyrim first true skilled based game WTF????.. you realy mean that?

It's way worse then Morrowind it's so dumb down and rediculously simple, many mods needed to solved the fucked up EZMODE and spoonfed console port called Skyrim.

At least The Wicher 3 offers WITHOUT MODS a proper difficulty called Death March.

The Wicher 3 Vanilla Death March is challenge the least all who claimed it's also easy don't play on Death March.

I have played Skyrim for 2800 hours only becouse of MODS and best for NUDE(not played skyrim realy after 200 hours i just keep improve on looks and build new characters for screenshots) without i would have stopped after maybe 50 hours.

The Wicher 3 im at 150 hours now NO MODS pure vanilla and counting i prolly reach 200+ before i start with mods(if redkit arrives) not before.

Concerned about XP or lvls not all i just don't care if i'm lvl20 or lvl 30 i just explore do quests en enjoy im lvl26 48% complete and 150 hours counting.

One of my best experience in OPEN WORLD RPG in last 10 years( to be honest before witcher 3 Morrowind was my last).

Vanilla Skyrim 7/10 thats generous i only played it because of Morrowind love and my love of open world RPG'S(hated Oblivion) but Skyrim vanilla was joke way to easy.

Vanilla TW3 9.5/10 story and immersion like novigrad just AMAZING( skyrim story and immersion 5/10(becouse of bugs and clunky controls K/M(will hopefully be fix as with skyrim by mods)) other wise 10/10.

@EvalsoDutch, I'd agree with you vanilla skyrim is 7/10, very similar to W3 for progress mechanics; vanilla TW3 is definitely a 9/10 overall. Look closely, you'll notice I said "Modded" skyrim - 10/10; with 2800 hours I'd bet you'd agree. (I use around 700 mods, approx 100 gigs, extremely stable) If you want 'skill based' you'll have to mod it that way, correct?

On the other hand, Modded Witcher 3? If it ever becomes moddable will allow the community to fix Death March regardless of pc level. Where current Death March killing is just a long grind of 'hit-points', rather than a strategic/tactical Witcher-esque skill based battle -- you just end up blunting your weapons -- crappy game design, very lazy work on CDPR part;  excellent work on story-telling however. It's almost identical to W2's under-baked rpg functionality, they just upped hit points and damage -- dated, lazy core structure -- W3 is about "story" content, and it shines in that regard. It is why level scaling should have been included, being the most suitable path for storybook rpg, with the added benefit of delivering skill-based game play.  

RPG "Storybook" Level Scaling = Content only Scales Up, never Down. 

I'm on fence regarding level scaling. On one hand its good to have challange all around on the other still having problems with bandit in shirt while you aquired master crafted armor doesn't feel right (giving bandit advanced armor is just as bad).

As it is normal enemies are fine - even if you outlevel them and kill them in a hit, they come in pack and still can daze and deal a lot of damage to you. Just bosses die too fast for my taste (on bones) and they could be faster - i mean once you know what they dodging is easy.

But overally AI can only give this and that much challange as in the end there are just two possible outcomes. 1 Damage is unavoidable /monster regens and the fight is just a gear check.2 There is no regen and everything is avoidable and matter of learning patterns.

I think easy way to make things a bit harder is not use mutagents - they are flat bonus anyway not chaning playstyle in any way.

@Skyrim combat - first of all it is extreemly gear based hence enchanting breaks it so easily. There is also no mod that turns it into action combat while quite a few claim to do that.

As for combat that makes me shed a tear in memory was my KFM (blade and soul)  doing mushin on server that had broken gear progression and no advanced talents.

@EvalsoDutch, I'd agree with you vanilla skyrim is 7/10, very similar to W3 for progress mechanics; vanilla TW3 is definitely a 9/10 overall. Look closely, you'll notice I said "Modded" skyrim - 10/10; with 2800 hours I'd bet you'd agree. (I use around 700 mods, approx 100 gigs, extremely stable) If you want 'skill based' you'll have to mod it that way, correct?

On the other hand, Modded Witcher 3? If it ever becomes moddable will allow the community to fix Death March regardless of pc level. Where current Death March killing is just a long grind of 'hit-points', rather than a strategic/tactical Witcher-esque skill based battle -- you just end up blunting your weapons -- crappy game design, very lazy work on CDPR part;  excellent work on story-telling however. It's almost identical to W2's under-baked rpg functionality, they just upped hit points and damage -- dated, lazy core structure -- W3 is about "story" content, and it shines in that regard. It is why level scaling should have been included, being the most suitable path for storybook rpg, with the added benefit of delivering skill-based game play.  

RPG "Storybook" Level Scaling = Content only Scales Up, never Down. 

I don't think it was lazyness but more in line of developing time constraining process if they also worked on perfect xp lvl scaling i think it would have take a lot longer to develop this game. They probably had to make hard discisions on some parts of game to drop or it would have take them forever to release this, i still think masterpiece(my humble opinion:)). Don't always blame the developers for faulty machanics or bugs in game. It always have some reasons why, but not always evil reasons(money) lazy or lack of talent?.. me think in this case not?

If A.I was good and bosses very hard forums would be full of peeps asking to DUMB DOWN GAME it seems no matter what game makers do majority always have to complain and never satisfied(but many still go to nexus get cheat mods go figure:P)

My 2 cents.

My 2 Cents ... a bit less horse-racing and Gwint-Card-Gaming and instead focus on the actual core of the game aka combat and levelling, if you have problems with time and release-date etc? Just an example.

I don't wanna start a fight here but its a bit ... irritating that CD Red gets a pass on that while other companies are titled as sell-outs to EA and things like that...

Witcher is still a great game, but just as with the previous titles the combat still isn't the strong side of CD Red...the stories being told are their strong sides, but take that away? I wouldn't really enjoy playing the game just for the combat...

I'm use to combat now even its bit clunky for K/M i can live with that.

Making a city like Novigrad so big immersive and alive probably also takes alot development time to achieve.

Game is so much more then Skyrim, hope mods will solve as with skyrim camera, movement plus graphics and playing with female(nude;))

Still enjoy it alot more then Skyrim vanilla.

What issues you people have with combat? I like it, even if i consider it easy it is only the case because i got used to the timings and monster attacks. I've seen comments saying it is hard so i think overall difficulty is deliberate.

@jxm :

story -> single player cRPG

combat and challange -> MMOrpgs

What recent cRPGs got better combat then TW3? Surely not Skyrim , not DAI (infuriating AI) . Fallout and ME are partially shooters so can't be compared. I think the last cRPG i had fun with combat was DA2 , but then it is probably because you control more then your character.

I'm a bit of a melee combat nerd, having following the this aspect of the industry since Die by the Sword, heretic II, JKII... Unfortunately W3 was designed for Console, a.k.a gamepad on PC. Though, as mention several posts back, I've had great luck with mouse and game-board (G13); macros, scripts etc making W3 combat more in line with pc-centric controls. If you've been following the Mouse vs Joystick debates at Star Citizen, you come away with "gamepads don't even qualify as a competitive contoller for pc". Anything designed to use a gamepad on pc is a serious downgrade -- third order control -- in functionality and precision, mouse being first order. That's not to say you can't repair short-ended development.

Shadows of Mordor was another designed for gamepad, the combat was top notch, but absolutely dysfunctional control for anything but a gamepad on pc; unless, you use a good programmable mouse with gaming software, macros, scripts and a decent pc gameboard. W3 is the same: out of the box m&kb are completely dysfunctional, but properly configured... Were there multi-play, a PvP arena, properly configured mouse + pc-controller would rule the arena, it's just so much more precise, pc-controllable and customizable. G13 has potentially 75 buttons, all customizable -- mouse has a dozen or more, all customizable.. simple example: 'press and hold' to chain attack sequences -- duh.

I think with the right mods and nice pc controllers you'd surprised how complex and functional Geralt's combat becomes. W3 is just below Shadows of Mordor. A properly modded Skyrim as skill based; no levels; almost everything a deadly one-hit-kill; everything staggers; localized damage (about a dozen separate combat mods installed); retreat as important as attack; defense as the rule rather than the exception -- modded skyrim is a really nice combat simulator, best by far when properly modded.

If Witcher 3 becomes mod-able, it may rise to the top, current vanilla melee combat is really pretty awesome, just needs a few tweaks, though I'd give it a year post REDKit release. 

So it is about controlls? I did play it on K/M, the only thing that i rebind was strong attack to extra mouse button. Now normally i would want to rebind movement to esdf and everything else around it but the game released without the ability to rebind movement and by the time patch came i already got used to it. Arguably one thing i would still want is the ability to cast signs by button press rather then select-cast.

Playing now with gamepad , first it was rough (second game i play with pad) but i'm getting used to it.

As for K&M superiority - well you do not need precise targeting in TW3 so K&M is just convenient shortcuts and easier in inventory not much beyond that. But you can do something on pad that at least i wasn't able to do on K&M, that is fight towards camera -if that happens on k&M i immedietly want to turn camera.

@Skyrim mods - how do you kill stuff then ? Kite and kill with bow? skyrim features no dodge and little to none windup animations, so if you wanna be melee you are forced to lameblocking?

@trpd, I use the best mods under the "350 Combat" Header: http://skyrimgems.com/index.html. Almost half, those that synergize, that work together, from parts of A.C.E onward. No, you can't kite, A.I. just dodges your arrows, unless you get the drop on them and neck/head shot, you're gonna have to time your arrows to hit when the npc is activating a spell or drawing a bow, and even then they'll side-step -- modded skyrim is as good as you gonna get for melee, archery, magic,  combat simulation. Mostly you're just running away from things at early game, when at a disadvantage, once you acquire a few decent skills you'll need to mix it up, example: lots of illusion or destruction to your melee combat, or full spec'd one-handed light armor, with the sensibility to run away when surrounded.

"Lameblocking" will just get you staggered most the time if you're loosing stamina... yeah, some pretty amazing mods... Almost too complex, in so many different ways. It plays more like real life being that if something big hits you in the face you die. (or death alternative triggers a quest) If something big hits your defenses you'll dump stamina, and better sort out your next move before your defenses break.  The build pivots around "high level enemies" (level scaling on highest difficulty) -- Skill based Combat, modded fully into Skyrim.

You can mod dodge, parry, several variations of block. You will be stagger-locked constantly if the attacks are un-defended. At mid game you'll not only be getting one-shotted if open to an attack, but you'll also be able to head shot with a proper sword thrust.  And honestly, some of the LL SL mods synergize incredibly well with bad endings.. rape, enslavement, ect. A true dark age simulation.

I fear dragons when alone, almost impossible without followers, and even then it can be an hour long battle -- looting the dragon usually nets you a few hundred spent arrows, and several dozen dead npc, with a few followers. Fought a forktail in W3 at low level, it felt a lot like such dragon battles, although W3 A.I smells like stale ass, comparatively speaking. Skill Based Skyrim plays Witcher better than witcher plays witcher -- you'll have to really prepare for a dragon fight, know the dragon, get proper resistance, change all your tactics, set up kiting into choke points, look for places to wait your followers to pull into a trap... on and on. Witcher kinda plays like a poor man's modded skyrim, albeit, vanilla W3 is visually far more gratifying..

I'm hoping W3 reaches this level of fantastical (?) realism, assuming there is ever a modding community. CDPR has created a pretty amazing canvas, they need to provide the paint and brushes to complete their incredible work. 

ps, my wet dream? Bethesda licenses the 64bit modified Cryengine tech from CIG (star citizen) for their next Elder Scrolls adventure; 64bit simply means you can map an entire solar system down to the finest details, and the technology remains stable. And, the cryengine editor is top of the food chain -- a modding heaven.

Guest Vendayn

I am actually playing on the hardest difficulty, and after I got past level 23 (I think, maybe it was 24, don't remember now)...it got really easy. I found a really good sword that had a bunch of poison stuff and 3 runes, plus my armor (I got it cause it looked good). Before that though, it was challenging and fun. But it wasn't really even the items as much (though that sword sure is epic looking)...my abilities made me rather powerful. I wasn't even trying, and ended up somehow getting 100% crit and bonus crit damage and other bonuses...I didn't look at guides or anything, just chose what looked fun. Turns out, "fun" meant I was overpowered as hell.

But, I never liked the leveling thing that Oblivion did. Skyrim isn't that much better. I want enemies like bandits to be strong early, but I don't want to see them in Daedric gear later on...thats stupid as hell. Skyrim modded is really good if you get the right mods, a nice challenge but still easy at times later on and still retain a challenge and it removes the lame stupid level scaling that Bethesda shits out.

What would be good is remove the levels. Make spending points more than just "lol lets be lazy and give you 10+% more damage trololol"...but completely remove all the lame abilities and give them a lot more flavor. And make it more of a skillbased game, so its always a challenge but some enemies get weaker as they should.

I still really like Witcher 3. Its one of my favorite games, and a lot better than Skyrim in a lot of ways.

Except, its easy as hell later on. And I don't want to purposely gimp myself and skip out on good looking armor/weapons because its "too good", thats stupid as hell game design. In fact, thats grade A bad game design if you have to purposely gimp yourself.

With that said, I keep starting over after I get to level 20 (three times now)...and its a blast :D So much more fun.

Maybe I should turn quest exp to 0 and monster exp to 0.5...then I won't have to worry about being overpowered and can actually finish the game.

I just keep exploring try find new dungeons or other secrets meanwhile slowly doing all the ? on the map.

I don't realy pay attention to lvls xp or being OP i just play.

Level 26 48% 150 hours. Death march on several mobs at ones is still a challenge but im to lazy doing all potions or adjust to much to some enemy's when i approach enemy i just fight see what signs work in process still have not much problems.

Signs are bit strong. I almost dont use potions or bombs just sometimes to lazy to make them.

Still love the game.

What issues you people have with combat? I like it, even if i consider it easy it is only the case because i got used to the timings and monster attacks. I've seen comments saying it is hard so i think overall difficulty is deliberate.

@jxm :

What recent cRPGs got better combat then TW3? Surely not Skyrim , not DAI (infuriating AI) . Fallout and ME are partially shooters so can't be compared. I think the last cRPG i had fun with combat was DA2 , but then it is probably because you control more then your character.

Witcher 3 is not much more than story AND combat ... and gwint I guess ... And yeah, its fun to cut people in halves, but after a while it got more tedious to fight against "greyed" lowlevels by spamming the attack-button...maybe I should just go one step up to death-March and see how it goes there

But story is singleplayer, combat and challenge is only mmo? Really, for me too much of a generalization, and I think Baldurs Gate was not an mmo...and had it both...well, a century or so ago...but yeah, single player games can and should try to have it all...

With that said, I keep starting over after I get to level 20 (three times now)...

LoL you know there are items for lv45? i'm guessing if there are lv 45 weapons there should be lv 45 enemies too...

Did you try not using mutagens? But i agree toolkit can't come too soon .

@jxm :

Witcher 3 is not much more than story AND combat ... and gwint I guess ... And yeah, its fun to cut people in halves, but after a while it got more tedious to fight against "greyed" lowlevels by spamming the attack-button...maybe I should just go one step up to death-March and see how it goes there

But story is singleplayer, combat and challenge is only mmo? Really, for me too much of a generalization, and I think Baldurs Gate was not an mmo...and had it both...well, a century or so ago...but yeah, single player games can and should try to have it all...

Scripts can only provide challange till you know what they do. Even in the BG , old Fallouts, PT it was only hard till you knew where, when and how.  Obviously they were harder then games now (or so i remember them) , you don't see riddles like in BG these days :( but still.

In MMOs you can fight against other players, there is nothing that is more challanging. Also you got the everprogressing pve so you should regularly get new stuff to mow down too (although in guide and YT era beuty for discovering things yourself is mostly gone )

Wow, you guys are fast, I play the game several hours almost  everyday and I am only at lev20, just need to wrap up a few more things in Novigrad and then I will be off to Skellige, I got about 80-90% of places with question marks explored, the map is freaking huuuuuge!

Is there any news on the tool kit for modding the game? CDPR said a while ago they will be releasing the kit faster than they did for W2, hope it will arrive soon. W3 is already a damn good game and has huge modding potentials, a modding tool kit will be a godsend.

Archived