Dead or Alive 5: Last Round Modding

AwfulArchdemon

Im having trouble editing skin textures.

When I extract them with Umod (r53), they look a bit weird in Photoshop. Basically there is hardly any skin texture there (its mostly transparent). When it comes to the "face' file, I cant see the characters lip or eye texture at all. 

If I try to inject the default extracted skin textures back into the game, without touching them in PS, the game will crash. I dont think Umod is extracting those particular file correctly. How did you guys edit the skin/face textures?

Hello, i don't know if it is the right place to ask,

there is someone intrested in a "unshaved" version of nude mod?

I mean bush and under arms

Let me know if anyone welcome my idea :)

Hi!

There already is an unshaven version out there you can load up with Umod. As for armpits... I love beautiful, full pubic hair, but armpits may be too specific. As strange as it may sound, I don't even dislike it too much, but it's not something I'd like to see.

My humble opinion, of course.

Yeah unshaven version is nice.

I know armpit hair is more specific, but it can be a nice variation of the "always present" shaved girls.

In Skyrim is a good Mod and it fit very well with the fantasy theme. 

Obviously Marie Rose with many hair will be a lil unreal :P But on characters like Mila, Kokoro and Momiji it will fit well.

I really hope someone can try.

timmyc, sorry for asking out of the blue, do you plan to share that exact same Honoka model (with pasties) when it's ready? It looks really cool :)

Unfortunately, that is just a test model SaafRats let me use to test my conversion tool.  The front side seems complete, but there are some small issues to iron out.   Whether or not it will be released is not up to me to decide :) The author is very busy with some other projects last I heard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I got some more inspiration from folks at Xentax again and decided to try something slightly more challenging than fixing boob and nipple shapes -  I decided to get Leifang her shoes back :blush: 

post-781013-0-68662800-1431548734_thumb.jpg

post-781013-0-29792400-1431548735_thumb.jpg

post-781013-0-29488000-1431548736_thumb.jpg

In order to do this, I had to go find her shoes in 360 model, and port only the shoes back to her PC TMC, and write the entire TMC back to 360 format (so the nakedness carries over along with her shoes and some extra accessories).    After that I can open the model up in 3dsMax and mess with various bits and pieces.  I hid all the accessories out of sight, and tried very hard to fit the shape of her feet to the shoes (a few hour affair in 3ds for a noob like me).  I think the outcome looks pretty okay.

Then I realized I probably should have done this using Kokoro's model instead since its one model for so many more characters :D

While reading a discussion yesterday on Xentax, I got the idea that it is possible to "hex" geometries into a container and make it work, so I did this simple test.   This part is very simple since the shoes here already belong to Lisa so the mapping is 1:1, but I think I can insert stuff into the unused spaces in the container as long as the size is smaller than the unused space allows, and blank out extra vertices.   Vertex buffer will be changed, but index buffer should still be valid as long as vertex buffer size remains unchanged.  I think I can insert items of various sizes as well if I modify the index buffer's start and count for that particular mesh group as long as the total number of vertices remains unchanged.   

I think I am finally starting to scratch the surface of what's possible.

timmyc, sorry for asking out of the blue, do you plan to share that exact same Honoka model (with pasties) when it's ready? It looks really cool :)

Unfortunately, that is just a test model SaafRats let me use to test my conversion tool.  The front side seems complete, but there are some small issues to iron out.   Whether or not it will be released is not up to me to decide :) The author is very busy with some other projects last I heard.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I got some more inspiration from folks at Xentax again and decided to try something slightly more challenging than fixing boob and nipple shapes -  I decided to get Leifang her shoes back :blush: 

attachicon.gifLeifangWithShoesTest01.jpg

attachicon.gifLeifangWithShoesTest02.jpg

attachicon.gifLeifangWithShoesTest03.jpg

In order to do this, I had to go find her shoes in 360 model, and port only the shoes back to her PC TMC, and write the entire TMC back to 360 format (so the nakedness carries over along with her shoes and some extra accessories).    After that I can open the model up in 3dsMax and mess with various bits and pieces.  I hid all the accessories out of sight, and tried very hard to fit the shape of her feet to the shoes (a few hour affair in 3ds for a noob like me).  I think the outcome looks pretty okay.

Then I realized I probably should have done this using Kokoro's model instead since its one model for so many more characters :D

While reading a discussion yesterday on Xentax, I got the idea that it is possible to "hex" geometries into a container and make it work, so I did this simple test.   This part is very simple since the shoes here already belong to Lisa so the mapping is 1:1, but I think I can insert stuff into the unused spaces in the container as long as the size is smaller than the unused space allows, and blank out extra vertices.   Vertex buffer will be changed, but index buffer should still be valid as long as vertex buffer size remains unchanged.  I think I can insert items of various sizes as well if I modify the index buffer's start and count for that particular mesh group as long as the total number of vertices remains unchanged.   

I think I am finally starting to scratch the surface of what's possible.

Is this a technique that could theoretically enable something like making Kokoro with nothing on but her fox ears and tail from that particular outfit? And if you get that "basic" (probably far from it, lol) technique down, is it easier than Palmer's whole method of doing things from scratch?

What you're stating can be done in under 30 minutes.

Yet there's practically no body out side of xentax who could do it.

It doesn't get simpler than what harry has been teaching, (moving a few vertices around in 3dmax and pushing 2 buttons)

You need to know at least that much, and much much more.

Tim,

You're on the right track with that.

But there are at least 2 to 3 more step for transferring between different costumes, you might need to write 1 or 2 more tools before you can do it, but the good news is there's really no restrictions, you can have any number of vertices you want.

Do you think any of them would be willing to do it for $50?

It doesn't get simpler than what harry has been teaching, (moving a few vertices around in 3dmax and pushing 2 buttons)

Tim,

But there are at least 2 to 3 more step for transferring between different costumes, you might need to write 1 or 2 more tools before you can do it, but the good news is there's really no restrictions, you can have any number of vertices you want.

Cool,  I have been able to slowly piece things together (through tutorials, advice from some folks at Xentax, self discovery etc) and progress.   I wish there was more interest in this so we could see more variety of mods instead of just me talking to myself here, but I guess there's practically no incentive now that full nakedness for everyone is nearly achieved, and the rest of the girls who still get to keep their clothes on are not as popular (except Honoka, her mesh is difficult to work with it seems).

I re-tooled my conversion program to be able to go both ways, so I can port some models back to 360 format to mess with in 3ds max.    I think the biggest obstacle I have right now is the lack of understanding of 360 file format to be able to port mesh groups freely.  Because of that, I am trying to work with the most basic case where all parts of the container are the same and work my way (eventually) up.  

I honestly am not sure where I am going to go with this, but it's nice to be able to make small changes to suit my taste.  With Witcher 3 just a few days away, modding time will be greatly reduced :D   I have already achieved way more than what I originally set out to do (perfect nakedness for Leifang, thank you Harry!), now I am just messing around, lol.  I find the whole process fascinating (byte level file hacking) and have never thought about modding a game prior to this point.  It's a great learning experience.

@MrMojorisin

Unfortunately, I don't even have the DLC pack you mentioned, so I can't try, but if it has to deal with head gear, I think that is out of my league ATM.

I decided to go back and give some more girls their shoes back.  This time it's much easier since I had gone through the struggle with Leifang and learned a thing or two about controlling objects in 3ds max (hint you can hide body mesh :D no duh! no more trying to select shoe strings through toe nails)

Kokoro's happy with her new shoes:

post-781013-0-93020600-1431572559_thumb.jpg

Marie as well:

post-781013-0-23406700-1431572569_thumb.jpg

I found something interesting while working on shoes for Marie,  I noticed that her leg proportion is a bit weird in the sense that the lower portion is almost too long.   It is hardly noticeable in action, but it feels just a little off nontheless, and adding shoes seems to greatly help with the issue.

post-781013-0-09532700-1431572778_thumb.jpg

I also made her feet smaller, I think they fit her frame much better.  I really like the new look, and with shoes on, her feet appear smaller too.

post-781013-0-58504400-1431572633_thumb.jpg post-781013-0-58975400-1431572640_thumb.jpg

On a side note, I think these sizes fit Leifang and Kokoro's tiny frames much better than the default "as big as their head" size :blush:  I have spent some time customizing some of their chest sizes so they no longer look cookie cutter.

post-781013-0-22170000-1431574286_thumb.jpg post-781013-0-90328100-1431574686_thumb.jpg

By the way, if any of you want to try your hand at this, I can help you convert your 360 models back to PC TMC.  I think my tool works in most cases now.

Tim,

Do you think any of them would be willing to do it for $50?

I can respect the fact that you're willing to make an exchange of your efforts (through the medium of cash) with another persons efforts (time)

Such is the way our world works.

I personally don't take donations. but you might have a shot with the other guys.

I'd rate it at around 65% success rate if you can get in contact with them. Pretty good odds.

The problem is that I don't have an account there and I really don't want to pay to get one. Are there any other of those people that get on here or GVZ as well? Or would you maybe be willing to pass the word on the DOA forum there? I understand if you'd rather not, but I thought I'd ask. :)

It's only 5 (forgot its USD or GBP) to register, though. If you are willing to pay $50 for a mod, that probably wouldn't stop you. :D

I think guys over at Xentax do this as a hobby, so they probably won't be too interested in monetary gain.

I have to say that Harry's tutorial is a great start, but I have discovered that there's a lot more to it than just copying vertices.  

Index and vertex buffers have to be both updated.  Normals/UVs and other attributes inside the vertex buffer will have to be copied as well.  If mesh groupings are changed, the references need to be updated as well in the respective header blocks.  There are also bones to deal with that I have no idea just yet, but the main idea is just that you copy stuff from container A to B, update all the linkage and you *should* be good to go.

I have to say that Harry's tutorial is a great start, but I have discovered that there's a lot more to it than just copying vertices.  

Index and vertex buffers have to be both updated.  Normals/UVs and other attributes inside the vertex buffer will have to be copied as well.  If mesh groupings are changed, the references need to be updated as well in the respective header blocks.  There are also bones to deal with that I have no idea just yet, but the main idea is just that you copy stuff from container A to B, update all the linkage and you *should* be good to go.

If you finally mastered all of this, maybe you can make new tutorial thread titled "Modding (DOA5) for Dummies" or something like that.

So all beginner out there can start learning how to modding properly step by step, also tips and trick needed to make perfect model.

In my opinion, possibility is only about 2%.

Lol okay then I'm going to have to majorly reassess my figures downward.

The $50 would probably be of better use paying someone to hack the exe.

Hack the .exe you say? Well, then if you haven't already stumble upon this:

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/pc-community-mod-resources.5565/page-10#post-261350

That person seem to have something already in the works.

If you finally mastered all of this, maybe you can make new tutorial thread titled "Modding (DOA5) for Dummies" or something like that.

So all beginner out there can start learning how to modding properly step by step, also tips and trick needed to make perfect model.

I do plan on posting a more detailed tutorial on this about what I have learned and what I have had to do to get there at some point in the future. I have been getting a lot of inspirations from folks at Xentax and Harry/lilstormcloud here, but they tend to teach you in codes (like a master in a kungfu movie), and you have to figure out where to go next by yourself :D

That also means no need for umod when replacing textures?

There was never a need for umod,

the PC textures can practically be copy and pasted into the tmc/l with no additional processing.

It's not like the 360 version where it was all scrambled.

Should also be able to modify stages directly too if the tool works as intended, but the hundreds of textures and stuff is going to be a giant pain. The objects in the stage should also be replaceable with other models, nobody's ever fully explored what can be done with stages since it wasn't top of the list.

it's all new and exciting if anyone wanted to go in that direction lol

umod isn't needed for replacing textures on the body and costumes, but it's still needed for textures on the head

That also means no need for umod when replacing textures?

There was never a need for umod,

the PC textures can practically be copy and pasted into the tmc/l with no additional processing.

It's not like the 360 version where it was all scrambled.

Should also be able to modify stages directly too if the tool works as intended, but the hundreds of textures and stuff is going to be a giant pain. The objects in the stage should also be replaceable with other models, nobody's ever fully explored what can be done with stages since it wasn't top of the list.

it's all new and exciting if anyone wanted to go in that direction lol

umod isn't needed for replacing textures on the body and costumes, but it's still needed for textures on the head

true, same for the hair then.

from that perspective, if they can now be replaced directly then there's no need for umod "anymore"

not that I ever used umod so i can't speak for how useful it is. It may actually be quite useful.

but it's not really proper modding by my definition so I'm biased against it to begin with.

It's quite useful for obtaining textures, It's also very convenient when it comes to testing out edited textures, you won't need to use texture tool and dlc tool everytime you want to see how your edited texture looks in game

Finally figured out what was causing the stray vertex to behave weirdly when moving on the attached object. I think there might be a bug in my code. After a lot of debugging and troubleshooting, I finally managed to pinpoint the issue and fixed it.

Now the girls are happily wearing the ring I gave them :blush:

rings.jpg

I think I might have solved one of the pieces of the puzzle on how to transfer a mesh group from one container to another.

In case you missed it, here's how it looks in action:

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/8347vdz4dt9lrmd/kasumi_test01.mp4

LOL,good job!

but you known Unable to feel things is not exist

Archived