I want to upgrade my computer but I need advice

Hi everyone,

I was reinstalling Skyrim and added quite a few mods with HD textures replacers, an ENB, 3 or 4 mods with scripts and I wasn't surprised my computer had some difficulty to make Skyrim have some decent FPS.

I'm going to get my 200GB SSD but I think the problem lies with the graphic card.

My graphic card isn't that bad, but it's not good enough either it seems, even if my Skyrim is not heavily modded like some of you here :D

Here are my specs :

Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 840

Speed :  3.2 GHz

Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series

Dedicated Memory : 1.0 GB

Total Memory : 4.0 GB

Memory : 8.2 GB

Operating System : Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Edition Service Pack 1, 64-bit Professional Edition

I thought of getting a Nvidia card because they are better imho, however I've just noticed I got a freaking AMD processor... I'm a noob as far as it concerns computer material so do you think I might be able to get a Nvidia graphic card or am I stuck with AMD unless I change the processor too?

As for my budget I'd say around 350€ / 400€ max should be enough to get a decent card to play Skyrim modded. I usually play games that don't require an amazing spec. ^^

Thanks in advance to those who will help !

We do need the specs of your PSU, otherwise you may need an upgrade for that as well. Most High end cards require about 550w minimum with a high amperage on a strong 12v rail.

There is a much wider variation than you'd expect there, it all comes down to that 12v. A GTX980 draws ~200w, but getting a supply with that much on the 12v, you need to pay attention. A seasonic SS-400FL can provide the full 400w on the 12v rail. More than enough to run that card and a 'normal' load of CPU and a few drives.

I'm a big fan of their modular supplies.

By comparison, a 500w "diablotek" (which costs 1/4 as much) can only provide 204w on the 12v rail -- not enough to run the card with anything else.

If it's a GPU you're looking for, get a GTX970. I was thinking of buyingo ne myself but I went for the 980 instead. Regardless, they are truly amazing. But, do keep what has been said above in mind. The Maxwell (GT750 ti, GTX970/980) GPUs are pretty friendly to your powerbills but regardless, I wouldn't combine it with an average 400W PSU.

We do need the specs of your PSU, otherwise you may need an upgrade for that as well. Most High end cards require about 550w minimum with a high amperage on a strong 12v rail.

There is a much wider variation than you'd expect there, it all comes down to that 12v. A GTX980 draws ~200w, but getting a supply with that much on the 12v, you need to pay attention. A seasonic SS-400FL can provide the full 400w on the 12v rail. More than enough to run that card and a 'normal' load of CPU and a few drives.

I'm a big fan of their modular supplies.

By comparison, a 500w "diablotek" (which costs 1/4 as much) can only provide 204w on the 12v rail -- not enough to run the card with anything else.

12v rail was the reason I bought my current PSU after my Corsair Cx600 clapped out. The PSU was fine for my GPU, but the PSU just gave up life. I bought a new one, a EVGA Supernova 750w G2 because it was an amazing price on Scan at the time. IT supplies 62.4a on the 12v rail, 748.8w, about 99% of the entire power is on the 12V rail. It also doesn't turn on the fan until it's under a certain load. I've noticed it does actually make my system much more stable. 

Hi again, sorry I wasn't there earlier to give you a reply.

My PSU is a Corsair CX430 (430W)

If you wanting to get something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/525309-gigabyte-gtx-760-oc-windforce-2gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-gv-n760oc-2gd-rev2-0 which i would think is within your price range you will need a new PSU as well as the power requirement for the card is 500W and its always best to have a more powerful PSU than you actually need

PSU's aren't generally that expensive, I've had a Corsair 650W PSU for a number of years and I've used it in a few different PC's so they can last for quite a while as well.

Hi again, sorry I wasn't there earlier to give you a reply.

My PSU is a Corsair CX430 (430W)

If you wanting to get something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/525309-gigabyte-gtx-760-oc-windforce-2gb-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-displayport-pci-e-gv-n760oc-2gd-rev2-0 which i would think is within your price range you will need a new PSU as well as the power requirement for the card is 500W

Actually no. That's the "recommended" size from gigabyte.

That card only draws around 200 watts, maybe 250. The CPU he has draws around 100. The corsair PSU he has can provide 380 on the 12v rail, so it's probably fine. Better than a "cheap" 500w for sure.

Hey thanks for the suggestions and the help guys, I really I appreciate.

I think I'm might get a GTX 780 card 3Go, saw one for ~380€ on a french website. Seems like a good deal.

I read this on Reddit :

" Maev 8 months ago

I use an i5-4670k, non overclocked atm because I'm not good at pcs :P
I also have a 120 SSD, and a gtx 770 4gb, 8 gigs of ddr3 ram.

I get 55-60 fps inside, and 40-55 fps outdoors. I use project enb, skyrim hd 2k lite version, lush trees and grass, flora overhaul, and some others that I'm probably forgetting.

I get pretty good fps if I do say so myself. cheers :>"

I suppose with a GTX780 (even with 3Go) I should be able to get the same results. What do you think?

However, how do you guys know how much Watts does a graphic card need? I a bit confused I can't see anything on their description.

Thanks again for your help guys ! :)

Yup same price it seems, how is that even possible if the 780 is less powerful ? Weird shit..

Anyway thanks guys I'll try to look deeper into it tomorrow and if any question comes to my mind I'll ask it here!

Love the people on this forum really, helpful and cool :D

However, how do you guys know how much Watts does a graphic card need? I a bit confused I can't see anything on their description.

You just have to go searching for it. Sometimes the mfg site will tell you, if not, look at other brands using the same chip etc. If you still can't find it, some of the review sites measure it.

Must I repeat that the minimum requirement from their site means nothing, and neither does comparing it to just the total wattage number of your PSU?

That supply has four +12v rails, each one can provide 216W. A GTX970 needs 336W (28A @ 12v) give or take.

It MIGHT work ok. It depends on if the draw from the card on the 8pin and 6pin connectors is evenly split or not. If it is, that's 432W, and no problem. If it's not, and one side needs a bit more than the 216 (like 236W on the 8P, 100W on the 6P) then it will not work.

I would look for a power supply that has a single 12v rail though rather than splitting it up that way.

Waitasec... Have you made some power draw computations first before ordering?

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Cool calculator.. but don't completely "trust" it. They state this at the bottom:

TDP - Thermal Design Power. We recommend 85-90% since it is very rare that CPU will utilize 100% of TDP.

This is not correct, for a few reasons. It boils down to the fact that TDP is meant to design cooling systems, it's not intended as a measurement of power draw. TDP is not the maximum amount of power the CPU can potentially draw, it's the maximum amount of heat it will generate under a maximum normal load. Maximum abnormal load will be higher.

The maximum power draw under that normal (not abnormal) load is often 150% of TDP.

Looking at TDP and then choosing a power supply that's only rated for 85% of that is a recipe for failure. A CPU with a 100w TDP rating will draw 150w under maximum load -- on a 12v rail rated for only 85w.

Where did you find those facts? When I first built my gaming PC I was then concerned about the configuration I would assemble might not work just because I scrimped (I initially picked out FSP), so I used that calculator to find the appropriate PSU before I could then build. More powerful PCs than what I use would of course require careful calculations.