SERIOUS computer dilemma. Need help.

Pavaux

Hi guys! Once again I am a blight in humanity as I have done the most retarded thing in my life so far. I have deleted my graphics card driver. I don't know exactly how this happened but all I know is that a driver manager said that 30 drivers were out of date and the highlighted one was my Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 driver (I have two PCs, this PC is the weaker one) that was out of date. I clicked update, as you would, which led to a complete alienisation of my graphics card and video adapter aswell.

I realised this as my resolution permanently lowered ( My initial resolution was 1920x1200, now 1280x1024) and when I went to play Skyrim, it gave me a notification that my video quality specs will now  be scanned. It set it to low quality, usualy it goes to high quality.

I went to device manager to see wtf just happened, and went to look for my graphics card. It wasn't there   q.q   . However I did see two unknown drivers near the bottom with two yellow ! marks. I went to update these unknown drivers and well I found my graphics card there. See attachment post-244257-0-62274200-1403339436_thumb.png. It failed to update the driver.

I then went to the nvidia website to manually update my version. This let to an epic fail each time I went to install the new driver.

It would start to install and then it would stop before the green bar even appeared. I have scoured every topic relating to driver updates and the like and not one even remotely works.

I am in trouble. I sent a report to nvidia customer service and am waiting a reply, but guys if you think you have any ideas please feel free to type it below. Every little helps. Thanks guys!

According to the picture of the pop-up window you put in your post, you don't have administrative rights on your machine.  "Access is Denied"

Normal users are not allowed to install software on a windows based computer,  Only an Admin account can.  Pretty sure the same is true with Linux, but that's a side issue.  If you didn't set your account to user instead of admin, you may have picked up a virus that hijacked control of your machine.  before you panic though, simply try to adjust the account to admin or log on another account that's admin level.

According to the picture of the pop-up window you put in your post, you don't have administrative rights on your machine.

Normal users are not allowed to install software on a windows based computer,  Only an Admin account can.  Pretty sure the same is true with Linux, but that's a side issue.  If you didn't set your account to user instead of admin, you may have picked up a virus that hijacked control of your machine.  before you panic though, simply try to adjust the account to admin or log on eith another account that's admin level.

Thanks, but now im confused q.q

I only use the one profile on my pc no guest accounts or anything. I will check for administrative anyway, just to be sure.  Thanks for the reply bud.

Well, to quote Bill and Ted then...  Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Next thing I would do is go into the device manager and see what the driver settings are on the video card.  Maybe a setting got checked that is preventing the driver from being updated, or the Nvidia driver download program is not recognizing the card for what it is.  Did you try letting the Nvidia site detect your card?

The other thing that comes to mind, short of paranoia about somebody hacking your machine, is that your firewall (or some other installed security software) may be blocking the DL for some reason.  My firewall occasionally brainfarts that way.  Peerblock used to hate to allow DLs at times too before I uninstalled it.

The easiest option if you can't get the driver to install even in safe mode MAY be to use your most recent system restore point to put you back at almost ground zero

Here's a link to what I was saying earlier about the driver's settings (specifically ownership) POSSIBLY needing tweaking though:

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/windows-7-access-denied-permission-ownership/

For what it's also worth, I'e never met a 3rd party driver manager that I trusted any further than I could throw my house.

Wait none of my pictures are being posted.

Basically in my device manager there are two unknown drivers. One of them is for sure the GeForce graphics card driver, as seen in the first post, which didnt update. The second is completely unknown to me.

In windows update there is an important update called, "nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1 Graphics adapter, WDDM1.2 Graphics Adapter, WDDM1.3 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260."

Why is that there? Usually only updates like windows defender updates appear in important updates. I thought that that was the driver update that was missing, so I shouted "FUCK YES!" then I was immediatly virtualy slapped in the face with a "failed update".

Guh this is frustrating!

Wait got the pictures working again, heres the manager : post-244257-0-38286700-1403351412_thumb.png

And the windows update : post-244257-0-57002300-1403351492_thumb.png

Something has happened. In my previous post I said this "In windows update there is an important update called, "nVidia - Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1 Graphics adapter, WDDM1.2 Graphics Adapter, WDDM1.3 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260."

I used the utility that windpl sent me (DDU) and it must have fixed something. The update above actually finished. I mean the Graphics adapter must have installed somewhere. So what's my next step? Go to driver manager and search for updates again?

Wait scratch that :(

Its up in windows update again! Ermagerd. This is starting to get really annoying.

Ok, nothing from the nVidia website seems to work. My brother is a tech genius and I decided I would give him a call. He told me to download Driver Genius and he even bought me a code! What a legend!

So now I have a legit driver updater, I really trust my brother with these things, therefore i'm just going to have to trust this driver manager. Update in just a few minutes.

My brother is kicking virtual ass right now, he is throwing advice like a pitcher on cocaine. But seriously guys thanks for your advice aswell, might actually get this fixed. And well if it doesn't ... NEW COMPUTER

Might actually try windpl's third step on his first post on this topic as well, if only I had an axe. Oh well, I guess my hand-and-a-half sword will do. :)

Ok, nothing from the nVidia website seems to work. My brother is a tech genius and I decided I would give him a call. He told me to download Driver Genius and he even bought me a code! What a legend!

So now I have a legit driver updater, I really trust my brother with these things, therefore i'm just going to have to trust this driver manager. Update in just a few minutes.

What means doesn't work? You can't download it or install?

This might not matter anymore but if you are having admin issues and using windows 7. Then that is a known issue, sometimes even if your account is set to admin, if you use it a lot windows 7 will disable your admin rights. Don't ask why I have no idea, so you have to turn them back on. I have had that happen to me a few times as well. In fact if you google Grant Full Admin Control for windows 7 there is several fixes out there to help with that issue. I got one where it adds a new line when I right click objects so when it does that I can just click that and then try again and it works. Anyways best of luck.

Okay, I have made a marginal amount of progress. I have managed to reclaim the Display Adapters tab again

See picture post-244257-0-08880300-1403378752_thumb.png

So it still comes up as Unknown Device which is a pain, simply updating it doesn't affect anything. Any suggestions? I will continue to try and fix this problem regardless.

Guest Mogie56

Looks like a motherboard driver or two got axed along with the video card drivers. try updating the mobo drivers then updating the video card drivers...in that order.

Looks like a motherboard driver or two got axed along with the video card drivers. try updating the mobo drivers then updating the video card drivers...in that order.

Thanks for the reply, there are mobo drivers? Never heard of that but where can I find my motherboard manufacturer?

Guest carywinton

When running into a "Administrative or Root" permissions issue, any program or file can be run with Administrative privileges by right clicking on the file you wish to run and selecting "Run as Administrator". When installing device drivers and any associated programs that control hardware, this is advised.  Running as "Root" in the "nix" world is basically the same as Administrator in Windows, there are of course some fundamental differences in what those permissions can do.

Customer service was on to me for two weeks and they solved it. They went through every troubleshoot in the book and then they said to go in "Safe mode with networking" and then install the driver from there. The ordinary safe mode didn't work and it was a last ditch effort.

AND THEN MASSIVE SATAN FIST TO THE FACE!

The resolution was reset back to normal and the driver installed completely. PROBLEM SOLVED :D:lol::D:lol::D:lol::D

Archived