NVidia Driver Issue

DogOnPorch

Howdy.

I recently installed the 307.83 drivers for the GeForce 7100 nForce 630i and they have made Oblivion's shadow filtering no longer work. Neither High nor Low settings get applied leaving rather blocky looking shadows coming from the PC/NPCs/Creatures. Any clues as to how I could remedy this?

A setting in the Oblivion ini file?

Older drivers? If so, which ones could you suggest?

Something in the card's control panel?

Here's a pic...

ScreenShot156_zps7fb94a4c.jpg

Is the 314.22 driver update available for your chipset DogOnPorch? You might try upgrading to that. I'm using it now with no problems.

Apparently, the 7100 is one of the few that doesn't use the 314.22 update. It seems like the Nvidia 3D setting for a specific game get applied no matter if you want them or not. This must be disabling the shadow filtering as it is enabled in the ini and inside Oblivion itself. Now if I can figure out how to stop that...lol.

i know i didn't have any problem with any games before i was instal 314.22 now i can not play Victoria:house divided, darkest hour, europa universalis 3 and europa universalis rome

freezing, mouse go from 1mm per day to warp 99.99, pause button is a live with his own will, open some window in game is mission impossible...

totally BS...

and no nothing else didn't changed in last 6 months only nvidia update 314.22

and yes i have latest patches for every mentioned game...

Perhaps if folks see this they could post which Nvidia drivers they're currently using that DO work with Oblivion. Might help with a driver roll-back.

btw: tried getting rid of the Oblivion ini and let Oblivion write a new one...that didn't work.

Looked in the Nvidia folder...seems there's some stuff from the old drivers.

Version listed is: 285.62 which is still available. I'll grab that package. I'm beginning to think ver. 307.83 is one of those crappy catch-all updates for older legacy cards...like the 7100.

I am running a 560Ti and using driver set:  314.07

I highly recommend that you obtain your Nvidia drivers from your manufacturer and NOT from the Nvidia\GeForce site.  The manufacturer of my card is EVGA and that is where I get my drivers from.  EVGA does their own testing and there are times that they will not use a version that is available on the Nvidia\GeForce site as it has issues with their cards. 

Now if your manufacturer doesn't have their own versions of drivers then you have no choice and in that case always make sure you stick to the WHQL versions (unless they cause problems with your card of course).

Thanks Greg.

Unfortunately, this is an Acre Aspire and it seems that there are no video drivers available for download from their site. Some audio drivers...and a TV tuner driver. It might have shipped with the Nvidia ver. 285.62 drivers as there's a folder by that name in the main Nvidia folder (on C:) alongside the 307.83 folder.

I suppose System Restore is an option. The restore scan claims that Nvidia 1.9 drivers will be removed and replaced with Nvidia 1.7 drivers. I'm always leery of System Restore not getting it right, however.

Well...Oblivion is at stake here...lol. Any suggestions? System restore? Perhaps installing the 285.62 package? Just looking for advice...not somebody to blame later...lol.

Thanks again.

Don't use system restore, that is far too extreme a measure.

Instead just uninstall your Nvidia drivers completely.  Then install the package that worked for you previously.

Some of the driver packages actually have a "clean" install option so you might even just try that first with the driver package that worked before.

Don't use system restore, that is far too extreme a measure.

Instead just uninstall your Nvidia drivers completely.  Then install the package that worked for you previously.

Some of the driver packages actually have a "clean" install option so you might even just try that first with the driver package that worked before.

Roger that re: System Restore. I have the old package on my desktop just in case. In the device manager, there's an option to rollback the drivers, as well. Any thoughts on that method?

Awesome!!!!

Yes...it's the way to go if you get stuck with some bum drivers. I recall on older Operating Systems that this was like brain surgery. Much easier now.

To recap: Open your Device Manager from your Control Panel. Find the display adapter...open it...right click on your card and choose 'Properties'...find the Drivers tab...then choose the 'Rollback Drivers' option. Simple....

Be aware that these drivers are being offered to certain users via Windows Update as an 'Important Update'. Not sure as to why. Security, perhaps? Either way, for the moment, I'd hide that update so it doesn't get installed on reboot, etc.

To hide a Windows Update...right click on it...choose hide. You can always get it back later...

Archived