Security Breach (For Those Of You Still Using Internet Explorer)

davidporter89

NOT MY WORK! FOR INFORMATIVE PURPOSES ONLY!   

hosted at    -    http://www.lfpress.com/2014/04/27/microsoft-rushes-to-fix-browser-after-attacks

BOSTON - Microsoft Corp is rushing to fix a bug in its widely used Internet Explorer web browser after a computer security firm disclosed the flaw over the weekend, saying hackers have already exploited it in attacks on some U.S. companies.

PCs running Windows XP will not receive any updates fixing that bug when they are released, however, because Microsoft stopped supporting the 13-year-old operating system earlier this month. Security firms estimate that between 15 and 25 percent of the world's PCs still run Windows XP

Microsoft disclosed on Saturday its plans to fix the bug in an advisory to its customers posted on its security website, which it said is present in Internet Explorer versions 6 to 11. Those versions dominate desktop browsing, accounting for 55 percent of the PC browser market, according to tech research firm NetMarketShare.

Cybersecurity software maker FireEye Inc said that a sophisticated group of hackers have been exploiting the bug in a campaign dubbed "Operation Clandestine Fox."

FireEye, whose Mandiant division helps companies respond to cyber attacks, declined to name specific victims or identify the group of hackers, saying that an investigation into the matter is still active.

"It's a campaign of targeted attacks seemingly against U.S.-based firms, currently tied to defense and financial sectors," FireEye spokesman Vitor De Souza said via email. "It's unclear what the motives of this attack group are, at this point. It appears to be broad-spectrum intel gathering."

He declined to elaborate, though he said one way to protect against them would be to switch to another browser.

Microsoft said in the advisory that the vulnerability could allow a hacker to take complete control of an affected system, then do things such as viewing changing, or deleting data, installing malicious programs, or creating accounts that would give hackers full user rights.

FireEye and Microsoft have not provided much information about the security flaw or the approach that hackers could use to figure out how to exploit it, said Aviv Raff, chief technology officer of cybersecurity firm Seculert.

Yet other groups of hackers are now racing to learn more about it so they can launch similar attacks before Microsoft prepares a security update, Raff said.

"Microsoft should move fast," he said. "This will snowball."

Still, he cautioned that Windows XP users will not benefit from that update since Microsoft has just halted support for that product.

The software maker said in a statement to Reuters that it advises Windows XP users to upgrade to one of two most recently versions of its operating system, Windows 7 or 8.

NOT MY WORK! FOR INFORMATIVE PURPOSES ONLY!

hosted at    -    http://www.lfpress.com/2014/04/27/microsoft-rushes-to-fix-browser-after-attacks

Or use TOR if you realy wanne be invisible ;)

I use waterfox and many other apps to prefend from being known or spyed on, IE is no go zone for me.

But hey majority use chrome-IE-facebook-google-skype and all those spy companys apps and there gadgets like smartphones or tablets(some even still on XP lol) that already collect all your info so don't kid yourself. It's bound to go wrong for alot people in near future anyway google/face know more about you then you about yourself and they making money out it also lol.

And on side note even when you know how to compute you still can be hacked or get malware virus don't kid yourself.

What is this IE you speak off?  Is it an ancient browser like the old school 1990's Netscape Navigator browser back then? I use both Firefox and Chrome with various plugins and custom scripts and such.  No viruses and such in years as I also keep tabs and backups of my Registry in case of such things.

Never used the one feature in Chrome where you have to login to keep your bookmarks and history intact. Both browsers are present so that if one fucks itself up there's the other to go to until they produce a bugfix.

Now that TOR get's mentioned...

The Deep Web creeps me out even more than the governments

Do you know even half of the urban legends about the shit going on there?

MatrixBluePillRedPill.jpgAre you willing yo find out the horrible reality or do you prefer to keep living in your fantasy world?

Nah... I'm too much of a pussy to use TOR

That is one rabbit hole I'm not willing to enter  :P

"When you look at the Abyss, there's a chance the Abyss stares back at you"

That's a bit out of topic I guess

Carry on citizens!

Unless you trust google-facebook and all those evil spy companys out there more then a idealistic browser that make it posible to hide from those evil empires, your choice.

Maybe at least try a search engine(like SearchPage) that don't store your IP and a independed non profit browser with ghostery.

It won't secure you for 100% but believe me, it will make much harder for them to track you and collect your private info and behavior.

Never store anything on  a CLOUD that involves perosnal data and also dont store anything on your own harddisk that have private content(external then disconnect).

Don't use smartphone or tablets don't register anywhere. Don't place ever photos of yourself on internet.

Paranoia maybe but believe me it will getting worse in the near future.

Be a black annoymous dot a mistery they know nothing about.

Or you be track and study every step you make for rest of your natural life.

This btw is almost not posible i realise that but at least you make it harder for them(evil goverment NSA-google-facebook-microsoft and those crooks).

Also this have nothing to do with eather you have something to hide or not it's about freedom and the right to have your own privacy thats yours and not theres.

Up to you to let them or not.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived