problem with nexus?

i'd stay in loverslab for modding & releasing stuff that Nexus wouldn't allows. I rip a lot of stuves and mod it together as i damn well please. The real English version Oblivion community is here in loverslab.

But of course this forum are ruthless whenever children mods comes to discussion.

You must abandon all hope for a change from within, I know it.

A change from outside will come soon, in one way or the other. Just sit back and watch them soaring like a leaf in the wind.

And, by God, avoid any confrontation cos that's what their war machine is made for. This goes for both downloads/uploads and the forum.

I come here mostly now, try to stay clear of the Nexus, but what I don't understand is that if a modder gets banned say like B****Blossom, stole parts of other mods or DLC's got banned then reinstated, because of there mods and what they had given to the modding commununity. Banned means Banned...

Gone through the strike and ban on the nexus most seem to be TVD lol,,Yet a lot of modders who have been banned still have there work on the site..Bit unfair.

Guest GingerTom

I used to encourage and help first-time modders on TesNexus all the time (there's still one or two 'thank you's' from the modders on their front pages to me) but I finally just stopped because of 'close calls' from so-called moderators.

TesNexus loss--not mine. :P

I've always used nexus mainly because I didn't know there were other places to download the mods from and also because it's a large database of mods. I don't really participate and I only make comments on mods when I'm having problems.

I have noticed how if someone isn't happy with the mod for whatever reason they get red arrowed like crazy.

In addition to agreeing with everything said here, I'd also like to add that I take exception to the posting of banned members' names and what they did. IMHO something like that should not be broadcast to everyone on the planet. It's immoral, and especially rude when the moderator has to add the equivalent of a "neener neener" jab at the banned member that they are announcing.

Another peeve, which may just be my own thought on this, is why, when closing a thread, do certain moderators have to get the last word in about the topic? I'm not talking about saying something along the lines of "this is getting out of hand, so I'm locking this thread." If you go look at Vagrant0's post history you'll see where he'll give a monologue about the topic before closing it.

I'm also now ashamed to say I used to be acquainted with Vampire Dante from a long time ago, from other games, long before Nexus existed. I was extremely disappointed in him when he joined the crew of Nexus. Somewhere along the way he became the moderator of just about every site I knew he was on, and I guess it changed him. For the record (not that it means much) my opinion of certain users always takes a nosedive when I see they've been promoted on that site.

I'm curious how many of the nexus moderators are actually modders worthy of note, and if those that are both moderators and respected modders behave differently. Given how they treat modders my gut tells me that most of those moderators can't mod their way out of a .bat file, and that their behavior stems from simple jealousy.

That's something that makes things different around here. All (or most) of the LL moderators seem to also be accomplished modders of one sort or another.

Well, I used to help out a lot with the technical problems and the biggest problem Nexus has in general is the 'I want it fixed and I want it now' attitude. A lot of the problems the so-called 'modders' have is actually their fault but they're not smart enough to go 'Sorry, my mistake'. Conveniently, blaming others is quite an easy thing to do online which I'm sad to see.

I do agree Nexus is a good place to get mods but definitely NOT the place to get any help. It reminds me of a customer that my company works with. They have a lot of stuff which they buy off us and sell it cheaply to the public. However, if something breaks or is broken, don't expect a decent or nice reply back. They tend to treat honest folk with the same disdain as idiots really.

And don't get me started on the moderating team. I'm pretty much a moderator on another forum and I'm a bit angered over their policy of 'lick my boots and you'll be fine'. I called a mod an arsehole once because he was banning honest people left and right. He tried to ban me but the mod team prevented that as I was friends with one of the admins of the site. Not the site mind you, but the actual admins that look after their site technically. Disgusted, I just left and I never provide support. Nowadays, I'm mostly here providing whatever I can.

Power is a dangerous thing I've learnt all too well on Nexus.

(some stuff)

I think the biggest design "fuckup" at the nexus, that has lead to a lot of these problems, is the way the downloads page interfaces directly with the comments. The nexus site designers have no concept of good interface design.

They don't realize that when people see "comments" they think of it exactly the same way they think of "comments" on a newspaper article website -- a sort of fire-and-forget semi-anonymous place where you rant, rave, argue, ask questions, and very rarely answer questions.

This is very different from how people use forums, when they *know* they are on a forum. I doubt 90% the people asking for help even realize when they say "HALP ME NAO" in the "comments" section that they're even posting on a normal forum "at the same time."

Responses like "Read the rules" or "Read the FAQ" or "Read the stickies" are meaningless when the user doesn't even see them or know they exist, because they're in a completely different UI.

I'll stop now.. this is distracting me from the work at hand. Damn you for distracting me nexus!

(some stuff)

This is just a utmost trivial technical aspect in the common fight against trolls. It doesn't explain the exponential increase of bans starting in winter 09/10... parallel to the new sponsoring, the new anathema of nude images in the public section, the new political closing of the ranks with the US Neocons by the officials over there and - the resulting omnipresent hate thereout.

If you don't get what I mean, well, then you have to dwell there any longer.

If you don't understand how interface design can drive (if not dictate) behavior, you need to do a bit more investigation into the matter. The post I was replying to was about modders, and people demanding instant help for their problems -- not about the moderating staff, which we all agree are a bunch of asshats.

Bonus points though for tossing in "exponential" as a bit of hyperbole, with a double-word score for somehow managing to fit "neocons" into your incoherent rant.

If I don't get what you mean, it's because you don't express yourself in a meaningful way. Nothing to do with how much or little time I spend on those crummy forums.

I've been a member of the Nexus since 2004. Surenas is another one that had been there an awful long time, longer than me if I recall correctly. I've seen the place go from a friendly tight-knit community to what it is today.

It's certainly gotten more vicious. But I can't say I blame the staff. There's so much traffic now... so many people joining, posting, downloading, reporting. Files, comments, images, links... massive amounts of data. With such a small staff, it's not wonder they're so quick to swing the hammer.

Kind of off topic, there was a set of dialogue lines during Ruined Tail's Tale where he asked the player what made them believe they had the right to take others' lives. It wasn't meant to be rude, he's just a philisophical bastard. But what it came down to was, in the heat of combat, there's little time to contemplate judgement.

Although managing the Nexus sites is hardly a combat scenario, it has its parallels. With so much occurring all the time and such a small staff, the mods there strike hard and strike fast, lest they become overwhelmed with reports and PMs. I can't even imagine what that's like.

With the release of Skyrim, there's been a massive influx of new users, many of who are hardly familiar with the rules of the site. Before Skyrim, the staff would remove images from the imageshare all the time that depicted ripped content (usually aion and tera rips.) Now that has been put on the backburner in favor of other issues, and images depicting rips are now commonplace. Which is fine, whatever, just an observation.

Anyway, getting back to new users, the comments on mods have been noticeably meaner, and oftentimes noticeably stupider. Maybe not stupid, just naive. The Nexus has always taken a strong stance against non-constructive criticism, and the file pages have always been a no-strike zone. So if you say something cocky and someone reports you, you could quite well get a boot. It sucks, but it's a fast paced environment that has little time for courtroom judgement. But there's always the appeal option. if you feel your ruling was unjust.

I don't know why I'm rambling so much. I guess it's because I'm looking at things from both sides of the fence. Apologies if I ruffled anyone's feathers; hopefully I didn't.

overwhelmed moderators
A good bit of that, at least as far as the mod comments go, could be solved by allowing mod authors to remove comments on their mods that they find offensive, instead of making them report and then wait for the moderators to swoop in and fix it... and we all know swooping is bad. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Haha. Well, you're completely right, it may take a load off. But letting modders take care of their own comment pages could be more brutal than waiting for the staff... as others have said on this very thread, some modders can be...extremely sensitive to any form of criticism, even the helpful kind. It could get rough, especially if a user realizes their "helpful" comment was removed.

I think DarkOne just needs to suck it up and invest in a larger team.

Anyway' date=' getting back to new users, the comments on mods have been noticeably meaner, and oftentimes noticeably stupider. Maybe not stupid, just naive. The Nexus has always taken a strong stance against non-constructive criticism, and the file pages have always been a no-strike zone.[/quote']

One of the problems that many of us here have with the moderators at nexus is when moderators like dante flame a mod and the modder in the comments section of his mod and get away with it.

I posted the link to those comments in another thread like this one, we all had a ball down repping dante for that. Still Dante is moderator and the neg reps mean nothing to him what you and I would get banned for doing he can apparently do when ever feels like doing

What really pissed me off about this is that even Slof who has been flamed to hell and back many times jumped in and took shots at that guy. I lost every bit of respect I had for slof after seeing that

I'd make a detailed explanation on the problem with the Nexus, but it seems many people have already hit the nail on the head several times. Though I'd like to add that if the moderators are going to ban people for non-constructive criticism and just unhelpful, negative comments, why don't they ban mod makers that give poor instructions for their mod and then get pissed off when you ask what's wrong with it.

For example, Unnecessary Violence. Mod is awesome, though installation is a bit difficult. I went to the page and read through to see where I may have messed up and saw that his explanations of everything was put in such a condescending manner that I just decided I wasn't going to use something by someone that would try to whore out his mod and then be so rude with stuff. And autodeath on startup for missing a single step that doesn't even harm the game in any way? Come on...

But to be fair, after checking to see what that guy's name is (Hex_0ff), it seems his new release of UV's description and whatnot isn't like the previous version's so he gets a heart.

:heart:

Guest GingerTom
GSBmodders: What really pissed me off about this is that even Slof who has been flamed to hell and back many times jumped in and took shots at that guy. I lost every bit of respect I had for slof after seeing that

Same here. I used to try to keep her spirits up (sending her private messages etc.) and then she did that and I thought 'you're no better than the people you're complaining about' and I dropped her like a hot rock.

When she got 'forced' off TesNexus I thought that old saying: 'Lie down with dogs, get up with fleas.'