Will creeping on threads be re-enabled?

blabba

Thread Stalking  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like seeing a list of other members reading the same topic as you at the bottom of the page?

• Yes, feature no way impedes the community
    • No, feature impedes the community
    • I used it regularly to stalk some people.../Let me use the search function less

Hello!

I thought I'd just wait it out, and see if this site 'feature' was re-enabled at some point. but I can't hold myself from asking this question (As well as it would be interesting to know if anyone else does this)

But a few months ago (like december last year and beginning of january) the site had this little box at the bottom of the thread that let you know who else was viewing the topic/thread along with you.

Coupled with this fact, and being able to hover over their names to see if they were posting or about to post, helped me refrain from adding unnecessary posts that answered the same question in a probably less detailed and more horrible way than the other person who was also faster than me.

And yes, I admit it. With this 'feature' on I would 'creep' on some folks, because I could hover over their name and see what topics they were seeing. This helped me discover many new threads that weren't necessarily in the spotlight and I thought were interesting and unique even if they were a bit old.

Hell, when this feature was on, I navigated this website without ever having to use the search function! It also helped let me keep tabs on my favorite mod authors/persons of interest.

So yea, just wondering if this will ever be re-instated.

P.S. Hope I don't come across as too creepy to you folks now, but if I find you 'interesting' aka knowledgeable in skyrim modding well then: :ph34r:

You DO know that you can still do all that, right? I mean, you have a username and not a real name on here, so just go wherever you want and that's it. That's what I do anyways

Nah I was more or less referring to how there was a box similar to the one in the main page, but for each thread that shows you active users reading the same page (gave you a guest count and stuff as well)

Hehehe, didn't want to spam Ashal's message box (though maybe that might be better in this case?)

Also, I just wanted to know if other's ever really used the feature or if it was beneficial to the community or if I was the only one using (abusing) it.

Can't very well make a good argument to motivate Ashal to take some time out of his busy day to 'fix' or re-implement the feature just for my lonely self...

Edit: added a poll to see if it was beneficial to community and should or shouldn't be re-instated.

Guest Ragna_Rok

Hehehe, didn't want to spam Ashal's message box (though maybe that might be better in this case?)

Also, I just wanted to know if other's ever really used the feature or if it was beneficial to the community or if I was the only one using (abusing) it.

Can't very well make a good argument to motivate Ashal to take some time out of his busy day to 'fix' or re-implement the feature just for my lonely self...

Edit: added a poll to see if it was beneficial to community and should or shouldn't be re-instated.

U CREEP!

tbh, i once in a while did the same. but i found it a little useless once i got the hang of the site, like what to put where, discover threads, topics n stuff. wouldnt be surprised if it improves performance of the site, i mean, disabling that function... and one of the reasons i love this site is its performance. only real advantage it had for me was in the bbof-banning game, and... lets be honest... thats stupid fun.

hm... you must be on a stalking-cold-turkey, eh? ;)

ps: voted for no... pretty sure it sucks unnecessary bandwith.

Meh, I thought that it would (at the very least) cause more stress and memory load. Wasn't sure if it was worth it though.

And yea, I find myself unable to stalk my faves recently xD

Mostly, I kinda just hate using the search function because half the time I don't really know what I'm searching for or how to properly describe it.

Whereas with the 'stalking' I'd find new and interesting content (or be able to tell at a glance if it was a topic worth reading)

Though maybe someone else has a new suggestion or a better way to view topics or 'stalk' people instead of heading to main page and pressing ctrl+f and typing in your fave mod authors names to see what they were up to?

Also, the double post thing I mentioned just happened again to me like 10 mins after I posted this topic lol, though I don't think that would put as much load/stress as re-implementing this feature.

I at times would use it to see what others were looking at. However I like the performance the site currently has and if disabling this gives us that performance without loosing other major functions then I am against it. If Ashal can  renable it without impact then it would be a nice addition back.

You are aware that the links that you are looking at when doing this can be done with any name anywhere in the forum? Also many times it is way outdated and those that you look at have moved on or do like I do at times and open a thread so that it shows one link while looking at another. (refresh the link desired while keeping the old link up and open in a tab). I am a stealthy ninja Alien entity... :P

EDIT:

Refresh the link that is desired to be shown to the public while having the one read or currently being worked on open in a tab. I might be a stealthy ninja Alien entity but apparently can't write a post worth squat today. :blush:

Sure you can run "private" but then nobody can see you. Defeats the purpose of "misdirection" ... :D

You ARE creepy, but in a good way.

As far as your concern towards accidentally giving a ditto answer to a question asked in a thread :

Doing so may often be a good thing. Having two or more posters giving the same, or very similar answer to your question is positive reinforcement towards the correct answer.

Something like having two reviews to a product instead of only one.

:-)

If you have some "favorite users" you want to check on, the "find content" button on the profile page helps. (Not for reading, but at least posts.)

Wow.

Can't Believe I never saw that button before...

It certainly helps me keeping track of faves!

Still, would be nice to see who else is viewing the same thread, or if your just on your own with only googlebot to talk to.

It would also help get rid of the embarrassing (at least to me) double post answers, though from what I gather it's not all that bad here?

But yeah, kimbale's suggestion will certainly keep me busy for awhile... :P

Just so you guys know I creep and stalk every damned one of you. And you might wanna' check your windows and draw your curtains just to be sure. ;)

Listen, I'm okay with you creeping but can you keep the window scratching to a minimum? Tryin' to concentrate over here. :P

Fair enough. Then is it OK if I continue licking the windows?

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up, I just noticed today that the little box at the bottom of the threads that tells you who else is viewing the thread is back up!

Thank you mighty Ashal and mods for re-enabling my creeping desires!

Creep Mode Activated: :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived