Best game of all time!

Guest Lady Luck

Baldur's Gate series. They are the best RPG ever!

aaypPedZ.jpg

Lol i feel bad for kids today didnt get to enjoy games like baldurs gate, indeed friend that shit is the bomb

In regards to the game I've played the longest, it's Oblivion for me. Uncountable number of hours spent on that game.

Story-wise I can't decide between NeverWinter Nights I & II, Dragon Age: Origins, or Mass Effect 1 and 2.

I've heard a great deal about Baldurs Gate, sadly that was before my time. Right now I'm waiting for Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition and will probably play that :).

Just from mentioning those games I suddenly feel the urge to play them again... Guess I'll start with NeverWinter Nights :D!

So hard to choose :(

I guess I'll settle for one of my favourites, it might not be my 'best of all time' game. But its easily one of my top five.

Warhammer: Dark Omen

Easily one of the best strategy games I ever played, I had a blast playing through it time and time again and never once got bored. It wasn't shy on difficulty either and the AI would ruthlessly murder entire regiments of your troops in seconds if luck favoured them (Being based on Warhammer there was a lot of invisible dice rolls in the background)

It was also one of the first games to truly force me to think tactically. Mostly due to the fact that it introduced a perma death system in which, once a regiment was wiped out, they were GONE and that character was removed from the story until the end, plus you lost that unit entirely for the remainder of the game. I must have restarted so many times because I made it so far in and had a cherished regiment smashed by a lucky cannon barrage or something T.T

In most strategy games I favoured attrition. Simply throwing everything I had at the enemy until I won unless it was a forced 'commando' mission. Here though I had to really, really take care to ensure every single unit was properly maintained and not thrown into a meat grinder to get slaughtered.

Throw in a basic RPG levelling system (Units getting better and having the option to equip magic items you find throughout the campaign) and a limited supply of gold tied into your performance in each battle also ensured you were careful with what you did. If you really blew it during a battle you would have almost no gold to replenish lost forces. Plus if you let enemies slip away, they would always find a way to screw you over later. Especially the bosses...

Doom Series. Even had the Construction Kit disc and manual to make my own hardcore levels (still have it, too!).

Half-Life 1 and 2. When I started to get bored in two, I used Gary's Mod and tools to create additional areas to explore and kill mobs in. Best parts of HL2: Being able to pin a Combine Trooper to a billboard with a crossbow, and let him swing. The Gravity Gun. Vehicles you can DRIVE (always wanted the dune buggy modded into Fallout 3/NV...take note, Bethesda!). Alyx (modded in a better body, sexy Daisy Duke shorts, low-cut halter top, and a better hairstyle. Still wish I had that mod.....'sigh').

Diablo 1 and 2. 3 is a waste of money. No Offline Mode, AH Greed, hardly any really good gear drops unless you buy something from the AH, really easy normal mode, etc....Blizzard fucked up a great series.

The Elder Scrolls series, from Morrowind to Oblivion. Skyrim's pretty but shallow, and maybe I'll play it again someday. Maybe.

Fallout 3 (for the moody atmosphere). New Vegas (and only the OWB DLC; the rest just doesn't seem all that great to me).

As for the best of all time? None. Many of them gave me my money's worth and then some, but to name only one? Not happening.

• 1 month later...