Best game of all time!

Which game, do you consider, the greatest game of all time? And/or which game is YOUR most favorite game of all time?

I think the game a lot of people can agree as one of the best without arguing, is Super Mario Bros 3. I mean, it might not be your favorite, but you, and EVERYONE you know LOVE that game. I mean, if you don't enjoy it, you'd have to be Hitler (Having been born in a different era and therefore unable to enjoy it for himself  ;D). That or Final Fantasy 7, but I'd say Mario Brothers 3 is more consistent, there are a lot of Nay-Sayers about FF7, but not very many for Mario Brothers 3.

NOW...for the game I consider the absolute best of all time, IMO...Chrono Trigger. It took me a while to come up with it, I've played A LOT of games in my childhood, but that one sticks out. I played it when I was about 6 years old, no real clue what I was doing, mostly ran around the Fair at the beginning of the game, SOMEHOW though, me and one of my good old friends, managed to beat it at that age. No clue what we just played, loved it anyway. Since then, I have played it over, and over, and over. I think I have beaten it at least 20 times, which, for an RPG is a lot. (They tend to not be as Pick-up-and-play as most games).

While playing it again throughout my life, I obviously understood it more, understood the characters more, and loved it even more. That game can make me cry thinking about its greatness. Magus is my hero also.  :). So, I was a little ticked when Chrono Cross came out, and Square wrote off/killed off all of my favorite characters, for about 60, with absolutely no backstory. Not to bash on Cross, but it just doesn't hold a candle to Trigger. It should have been a seperate game all together. Regardless, I'm starved for a Chrono game. So many hints at sequels, so many attempts at fan-remakes, usually all vanishing or being debunked or whatever.  :'(

I hope Square comes to its senses and gives Final Fantasy a damn break and makes another Chrono game. I can understand why they don't at the same time though. After biding there time for so long, it would have Duke Nuken Forever anticipation, if it was bad, the fans would backlash, destroying the very world!  :o

For anyone TL;DR, I say the best game in the world is Super Mario Brothers 3. But my favorite game of all time, is Chrono Trigger, hands down. Now, your turn folks!  8)

Pokémon FTW.

Pokémon was the first handheld game I've ever played, and I just kept playing it, and playing it, and... You get the idea.

Best current game-series would, in my opinion, be Assasin's Creed. Love how deep the rabbit hole goes, so to say.

In my opinion the best game series are from Square Enix. But I think the best game serie is Kingdom Hearts. Not a game I've played has dragged me so much into the story as this one, and even after 4 or 5 games it still doesn't get boring. Kingdom Hearts 3 is still far away, but I can't wait to play that one.

If we're just talking computer games, hm.

The Baldur's Gate series (especially once modded out) was probably the best simulation of a really great tabletop RPG campaign of all time. Plenty of things you can criticize, but you went through an epic adventure full of memorable characters. Some of it didn't make sense if you were too gamist, but if you stuck to the main plotlines it even worked as a story.

The very old Microprose Darklands was probably the best RPG world simulator. Your adventure could go on forever, and there were endless mini games and a world that internally made as much sense as a CRPG world ever can.

Daggerfall was probably the best graphically intensive RPG world simulator. The world was both huge and deep, and you could play for years. Every Elder Scrolls game since has been smaller on every story level. The characters were shallow, but that's Bethesda.

The very old Microprose Darklands was probably the best RPG world simulator. Your adventure could go on forever' date=' and there were endless mini games and a world that internally made as much sense as a CRPG world ever can.[/quote']

Internet for you for even remembering this game.

Best game of all time is... highly subjective.  My personal favorite OTOH, Mortal Kombat.  Not because it was a particularly good game, but because I got to play it with almost my entire family.  Many a night were spent with me, my two brothers, my sister, and my dad all taking turns beating the snot out of each other.  Mom didn't play, she'd just watch...

And now, I gotta make some phone calls.

For me, its not one game, but 3. The Timesplitters games.

The games are just pure fun. The story is fun, interesting, and a blast. The multiplayer is the greatest ever. The bots are decently smart(and even adapt to custom maps!). The Mapmaker is really easy to use, yet so deep you could craft whole stories with it. There were craploads of characters to play as, all unique in their own way. The maps were great fun, the challenges were challenging and plentiful.

The games are all just so amazing. Each one stands on its own, without needing the other, which is one hell of an accomplishment.

The games are fun, funny, interesting, and just fantastic. I lost many, many hours to its multiplayer mode in LAN matches with friends. We'd make a huge maze-map, and play infection. Oh man... those were good times...

My favourite of all time? Would have to be Planescape Torment. Not only was the setting and plot strong, there was incredible value placed upon what are usually considered dump stats (Int Wis Cha). And these stats were the most important, and combat skills became secondary if you wanted to know the really important details. Very few games stress the importance of dialogue and consequences like PS:T.

The best game of all time though... I'm torn between Super Mario 3 and Tetris. Leaning towards Tetris though.

DOOM.

The first one.  The wail of the Cyber Demon STILL brings your blood to an icy halt. (If you ever played it) I remember seeing the demo of it running in Walmart. I bought a new computer that day JUST to play it.. The Doom series started all the 3D first person games we all play now.  I remember that I had to add another 2 meg of RAM to it to play.. cost $255 for 2M of RAM!

Mgs_logo.png

My favorite game of all time. I love the storyline it gave and the stealth game play it offered.

Man, I love the MGS series. Hideo Kojima is a genius. Anyone who has played any of his games knows it to be so.

That being said, best game ever is a 3 way tie for me. MGS vs. MGS 4 vs. Xenogears. Xenogears is definitely, without a shadow of a doubt for me, the best JRPG I have ever played and I have played my fill of JRPGs.

Civilization 8)

I am inclined to agree, especially with the mod 'total realism' for that game :D 

http://www.moddb.com/mods/total-realism/downloads/total-realism-24-release

...But...in the realm of 1st person shooters, for me its GOT to be S.T.A.L.K.E.R. shadow of chernobyl, especially modded with 'oblivion lost'

http://usercreated.org/2010/03/23/unmissable-mods-month-oblivion-lost/

I'd vouche Secret of Mana 2(Also known as Seiken densetsu 3) for the Super Nintendo. It had a wonderful and well written story, colourfull characters and a combat system that was simple, easy to get into, and pretty satisfying. It was also the first game(that I played) that featured a class changing system, that allowed you to actually make minor customization to the way you wanted your characters to be, what skills you wanted them to develope. Haven't played the game in quite awhile though, so my thoughts might be stained by the cancer known as nostalgia, but I remember thinking it was pretty awesome back in the days when I played it, and left me with an impression that no other game has.

For me: 1) Morrowind. Still feels like home.

Shame there never was a complete update to today´s graphic standards by Bethsoft. The Morroblivion team does a great job, but they can´t convert all those masses of scripts.

2) X-Plane: I have been air-mad since I raise my head to look up so I know this flight simulator is the most realistic experience of flight dynamics you can get next to flying the real thing.

Chronotrigger is great but I prefer Terranigma as my all time favorite.

Then comes stuff like Deus Ex, Final Fantasy 7 and 10, Baldurs Gate 2, Wizardry 8, Might and Magic 6 and 7 and Jagged Alliance 2.

I won't dare to pick between them because I love them all way too much to decide.

Here are the big ones for me:

Chrono Trigger - this game taught me that games can be art. I remember beating it at age 13 and being sad that i wouldn't get to see the characters again. I've played it at least a half dozen times over the years, and the impression it made on me will last a lifetime.

Secret of Evermore - yeah, I know, it's an American Square game, but i really love it. Cool environments, great music, and i loved having the dog companion around (probably why I love Dogmeat so much in the Fallout games), as well as the kid constantly making references to imaginary B-movies like "Mars Needs Lumberjacks". Have replayed it countless times.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - I usually prefer more nonlinear/sandbox games, but hot damn is this game amazing, even after all these years. It still has one of my favorite stories in gaming, very unique characters, and some of the best voice acting ever. Also the villain, undead lich Pious Agustus, is my favorite video game villain of all time. And of course, I can't talk about it without mentioning the sanity meter and insanity effects, which range from bleeding walls to, and I'm not kidding here, the blue screen of death.

Fallout Series - really, what else do I need to say? I jacked myself up on mentats and talked the Master out of his plan; i cheered when I avenged Goris's clan; i put in 130 hours at least in the Capital Wasteland. Though, i'm ashamed to say I still haven't gotten New Vegas or even beaten all the F3 expansions. Sad, I know, but give me a break, there's a lot to do in those games!

Mass Effect series - The ending to the first one is one of the most amazing things i've experienced in a game, but its the second one that takes the cake, specifically Garrus's loyalty mission. I felt like I was in charge of deciding whether a good friend went down a path of lightness or darkness, like I had a say in his soul. Just one amazing moment in a series full of them.