[Unofficial] Bodyslide 2/Outfit Studio Tutorials

So I'm trying to add HDT to an outfit using this tutorial: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/1284221-os-tutorial-copying-tbbp-or-similiar-weights/

Followed every step, tried both variants, but when I later open the outfit with nifskope I get a screenfull of errors like so:

""device position incorrect after block number 10 (NiSkinInstance) at 0x26145 ended at 0x261a1 (expected 0x26185)""

""device position incorrect after block number 11 (NiSkinData) at 0x26185 ended at 0x261be (expected 0x34226)""

""array Skin Partition Blocks much too large. 1035444230 bytes requested""

""device position incorrect after block number 12 (NiSkinPartition) at 0x34226 ended at 0x3422a (expected 0x444f8)""

""array Extra Data List much too large. 34275332 bytes requested""

etc. What am I doing wrong?

Read Guide 0 in this thread on how to prepare NIF files for Outfit Studio usage.

(convert NiSkininstance to BSDismemberSkinInstance in NifSkope and assign body part slots to it)

Ok I followed guide 0, still couldn't get it to work. Accidentally forgot to copy weights to all parts, just did torso mesh and saved and Nifskope had no trouble opening it. However, once I tried it out in-game, all I got was an invisible mesh. Got an armor rating, saw my body - completely. Searched this thread for a similar issue and saw one post mentioning using face normals. Size on the .nif files increased but mesh was still invisible in the game, looked fine with Nifskope and OS.

Ok I followed guide 0, still couldn't get it to work. Accidentally forgot to copy weights to all parts, just did torso mesh and saved and Nifskope had no trouble opening it. However, once I tried it out in-game, all I got was an invisible mesh. Got an armor rating, saw my body - completely. Searched this thread for a similar issue and saw one post mentioning using face normals. Size on the .nif files increased but mesh was still invisible in the game, looked fine with Nifskope and OS.

Read my post again. ;)

"and assign body part slots to it"

http://i.imgur.com/PF6Vchm.jpg

It works. Just had to adjust the weight paint a little. Is there a quicker way to assign body parts? I'd imagine it'll take a while if you're looking at a lot more armor parts than I had to work on.

Well, that would be a lot of work yeah, but it's the only way to fix it.

However, not many outfits use NiSkininstances instead of BSDismemberSkininstances, that means you have to go through this process only for very few.

Another question? Before editing this current outfit I did a quick conversion of Aradia Bikini from 7B to UNPB. The weight application was crappy but that wasn't the issue. It comes with three versions, not counting first person copies of each I think. One with a top and panties and one with just top and the last with just the panties. Now having learned about BSDismember, I went back and checked the panties and other parts, and it wasn't a case of it saying NiSkininstances instead and missing body part info. The problem is, the full piece with T and B shows up fine in game, likewise just the top. But panties don't show up, though both show up with Nifskope and OS with no errors reported. Again, I get the armor rating I'm supposed to just that the mesh is invisible and in this case it's not a question of missing body part info - which I checked and it's there.

I'm curious about ZAP and masking.

Is the mask only applicable to the body part that the clothing item applies to?

Let me explain. I have a single pair of simple UNP converted leather boots (non-HDT) that come just above the knee and that clip when crouching. The leather mesh is reasonably close to the skin texture so altering the mesh volume too much makes it look awful. I've done as much as I can with the mesh volume, the sliders and the weighting is nearly spot on, and I wanted to mask and zap the legs. I thought this would be simple.

The problem I'm having is that when it comes to applying the mask, it only ever affects the feet and never the main body even though the mask shows it's working on the body in OS. I've tried so many things to try and include the mask on the body but it never works, including adding a second zap for the body. The boots nif appears fine, both before and after, in nifskope and seems to be compatible with bodyslide (at least from what I can tell).

I'm loving the learning experience I'm going through with this incredible piece of software. While there are times I hate it intensely for not playing nice, it's been fun :) I appreciate the time and effort people are giving to help folks like me who are starting out.

Another question? Before editing this current outfit I did a quick conversion of Aradia Bikini from 7B to UNPB. The weight application was crappy but that wasn't the issue. It comes with three versions, not counting first person copies of each I think. One with a top and panties and one with just top and the last with just the panties. Now having learned about BSDismember, I went back and checked the panties and other parts, and it wasn't a case of it saying NiSkininstances instead and missing body part info. The problem is, the full piece with T and B shows up fine in game, likewise just the top. But panties don't show up, though both show up with Nifskope and OS with no errors reported. Again, I get the armor rating I'm supposed to just that the mesh is invisible and in this case it's not a question of missing body part info - which I checked and it's there.

Other reasons for things like this could be bad NiAlpha nodes (if the outfit has one), bad UV assignment values or invisibility created by the author intentionally by making the textures transparent.

Check if the original armor shows the panties in-game, check if the slot is the correct slot (same as original), check if the shape has a NiAlpha node (probably not) and try deleting/editing it. There's just a whole lot of possibilities. :P

You can also try doing "Spell -> Batch -> Update All Tangent Spaces" in NifSkope, or using "Face Normals" for the panties' NiTriShapeData.

I'm curious about ZAP and masking.

Is the mask only applicable to the body part that the clothing item applies to?

Let me explain. I have a single pair of simple UNP converted leather boots (non-HDT) that come just above the knee and that clip when crouching. The leather mesh is reasonably close to the skin texture so altering the mesh volume too much makes it look awful. I've done as much as I can with the mesh volume, the sliders and the weighting is nearly spot on, and I wanted to mask and zap the legs. I thought this would be simple.

The problem I'm having is that when it comes to applying the mask, it only ever affects the feet and never the main body even though the mask shows it's working on the body in OS. I've tried so many things to try and include the mask on the body but it never works, including adding a second zap for the body. The boots nif appears fine, both before and after, in nifskope and seems to be compatible with bodyslide (at least from what I can tell).

I'm loving the learning experience I'm going through with this incredible piece of software. While there are times I hate it intensely for not playing nice, it's been fun :) I appreciate the time and effort people are giving to help folks like me who are starting out.

(Sorry for double-post)

When you create a new zap slider in OS, the slider only applies its data to the currently selected shape (which would be the feet).

You have to create yet another zap slider (with the same mask), but with the body shape selected before you do so.

The result will be 2 zap sliders - one for the feet shape, one for the body shape.

Make sure to go into the Slider -> Properties of those and set the default low/high values to 100 and check the hidden check box, so that they aren't visible to the end-user (no use of that).

cell, on 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:cell, on 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:cell, on 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:

Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:

(Sorry for double-post)

When you create a new zap slider in OS, the slider only applies its data to the currently selected shape (which would be the feet).

You have to create yet another zap slider (with the same mask), but with the body shape selected before you do so.

The result will be 2 zap sliders - one for the feet shape, one for the body shape.

Make sure to go into the Slider -> Properties of those and set the default low/high values to 100 and check the hidden check box, so that they aren't visible to the end-user (no use of that).

I tried that before (and now again), and out of the two zaps only the feet mesh get zapped each and every time, no matter the order I do things or how I do it. I use 100/100 and usually don't use 'hidden' so I can check what happens in BS (personal use). Do I need feet mesh for boots that cover the feet anyway? Aren't the bone weights in the body anyway?

I tried it with and without feet and no matter what I do it only affects the feet slot. In each case, as a test, I didn't invert the mask to see what happened. Same again.. only the boots disappear and not the body.

Edit: It only affects the feet slot in-game. Looks fine in BS, though.

Stumped on this...

Other reasons for things like this could be bad NiAlpha nodes (if the outfit has one), bad UV assignment values or invisibility created by the author intentionally by making the textures transparent.

Check if the original armor shows the panties in-game, check if the slot is the correct slot (same as original), check if the shape has a NiAlpha node (probably not) and try deleting/editing it. There's just a whole lot of possibilities. :P

You can also try doing "Spell -> Batch -> Update All Tangent Spaces" in NifSkope, or using "Face Normals" for the panties' NiTriShapeData.

Tried Updating and face normals but that did nothing. Then replaced with originals and those worked fine. Even used UNPB even though they came with a 7B body so, checked body part and my edited ones used 32 body, and these used 49 pelvis. Which would explain why they showed up with UNPB despite using 7B. D'oh. Thanks.

cell, on 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:cell, on 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:cell, on 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:

Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:

(Sorry for double-post)

I tried that before (and now again), and out of the two zaps only the feet mesh get zapped each and every time, no matter the order I do things or how I do it. I use 100/100 and usually don't use 'hidden' so I can check what happens in BS (personal use). Do I need feet mesh for boots that cover the feet anyway? Aren't the bone weights in the body anyway?

I tried it with and without feet and no matter what I do it only affects the feet slot. In each case, as a test, I didn't invert the mask to see what happened. Same again.. only the boots disappear and not the body.

Stumped on this...

If the feet shape is entirely covered by the boots, you don't need it, no. "Shape -> Delete Shape"

The slots shouldn't have anything to do with what zap sliders do in BS or in-game.

However, if you select the body shape, mask the parts on the body shape you don't want, invert the mask for the body shape and create a new zap slider for the body shape, it should remove your (un)masked parts from the body shape in BodySlide - strange. :P

From 13 Oct 2014 - 7:47 PM:data-author="cell">cell, on 13 Oct
2014 - 7:47 PM, said:

From 13 Oct 2014 - 7:21 PM:data-author="Samustus">Samustus, on 13
Oct 2014 - 7:21 PM, said:

From 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM:data-author="cell">cell, on 13 Oct
2014 - 6:59 PM, said:cell, on 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:cell, on 13 Oct
2014 - 6:59 PM, said:cell, on 13 Oct 2014 - 6:59 PM, said:

From 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM:data-author="Samustus">Samustus, on 13
Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM,
said:Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59 PM, said:Samustus, on 13 Oct 2014 - 4:59
PM, said:

(Sorry for double-post)

When you create a new zap slider in OS, the slider only applies its data to
the currently selected shape (which would be the feet).

You have to create yet another zap slider (with the same mask), but with the
body shape selected before you do so.

The result will be 2 zap sliders - one for the feet shape, one for the body
shape.

Make sure to go into the Slider -> Properties of those and set the default
low/high values to 100 and check the hidden check box, so that they aren't
visible to the end-user (no use of that).

I tried that before (and now again), and out of the two zaps only the
feet mesh get zapped each and every time, no matter the order I do things
or how I do it. I use 100/100 and usually don't use 'hidden' so I can check what
happens in BS (personal use). Do I need feet mesh for boots that cover the feet
anyway? Aren't the bone weights in the body anyway?

I tried it with and without feet and no matter what I do it only affects the
feet slot. In each case, as a test, I didn't invert the mask to see what
happened. Same again.. only the boots disappear and not the body.

Stumped on this...

If the feet shape is entirely covered by the boots, you don't need it, no.
"Shape -> Delete Shape"

The slots shouldn't have anything to do with what zap sliders do in BS or
in-game.

However, if you select the body shape, mask the parts on the body shape you
don't want, invert the mask for the body shape and create a new zap slider for
the body shape, it should remove your (un)masked parts from the body shape in
BodySlide - strange. :Pdata-cke-saved-src="http://www.loverslab.com/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.png">

Heh :D Well, this really has been a strange quirk. Just curious, how is the mask saved to the nif? Could there be a compatibility issue? or the mask not indexed(?) properly? Could it be the way the boots are assigned to slots in the CK? Somehow the mask isn't carrying over to the body. Hmm.

Anyway, thank you VERY much for your time! Your support here really helps.

Hah. Well I moved the stuff around, I thought it would take forever but not really. The 0 weight went pretty fast actually. I gave it weights and modified them a little to prevent assumed clipping, fired Skyrim up, putit on and it crashed IN MY FACE. Oh well. Think I'll just leave some doors unopened.

Hah. Well I moved the stuff around, I thought it would take forever but not really. The 0 weight went pretty fast actually. I gave it weights and modified them a little to prevent assumed clipping, fired Skyrim up, putit on and it crashed IN MY FACE. Oh well. Think I'll just leave some doors unopened.

Can your result be opened in NifSkope without problems? Does your _0 match your _1.nif in terms of vertex count, order and weighting?

Nifskope opens them without issues.I don't know how to check vertex count, I did rename some meshes and they didn't really match, weights aren't exact copies but they're all there.

You can try making backups of everything and copy the "BSDismemberSkinInstance"s of one mesh to the other using NifSkope.

Any idea how to prevent or fix the "glossified" shapes in OS?

q0u9nxB.png

vO9b3D8.png

As you can see in the pictures, the skirt should be blank white, but instead it's darkened/glossified (or w/e).

This also affects the converted outfits while in-game, meaning that the textures are messed (usually blackened) in those "glossified" shapes. It's hard for me to explain, but I hope you get what I mean. The original mod however looks just fine, this only happens after the conversion.

Here's how the shapes look while in-game:

Original mod (how the skirt should look)

itr8H1D.jpg

Converted mod (how the skirt shouldn't look)

ije29yf.jpg

And before you say it, yes, I did disable the Smooth Seam Normals, which sometimes fixes the black texture probems (but apparently not always).