Texturing Questions...

delilah

i don't know much about modding, modeling, applying textures, scripting, etc... but, i know what i like and have figured out how to get it in most cases.

one of my most common tactics for prettying up an armor is to open it in 3ds max and delete the ugly parts.  i only delete individual meshes, though, because i know if just start deleting polygons here and there it will mess up the uv mapping or something and the texture doesn't fit right any more.

anyways, here is the problem.  i really like the diano armor (the royal diano, in particular), but the armor piece around the waist is too bulky, and it just floats there with nothing attached to it.  with the regular diano armor, i can remove that hip mesh part and the texture for the rest of the pieces looks fine.  not so with the royal diano armor. so, my question is, why does it do that, and how can i stop it?  also, where is the UV map for a texture stored?  i have photoshop cs6 and i can open ad save the dds files.  i can see the different layers for each color, the rgb layer, normal layer and the alpha layer but i cannot see the uv map.

lastly, i dont know 3ds max well enough to mess with the uv unwrapper modifier without breaking stuff.

any info would be greatly appreciated.  thanks in advance

why does it do that,

There could be many reasons...

and how can i stop it? 

Depends on what caused it...

also, where is the UV map for a texture stored?

I think you mean 'where can i find the UV layout for a mesh'?

And you can export it from nifskope by right clicking and going texture > export template. (or max with the UVW unwrap modifier)

And then adding it in photoshop as the top layer of the texture.

r78ms92xhm5jja47g.jpg

Could you post a link to the mod so i can see the problem for myself?

I can't find any royal diano mesh only the regular one and that has the waist as a separate nitrishape.

yeah..  the waist is a seperate nitrishape.  that is what i have been deleting, but when i do that, the regular diano shows up normally, but the royal diano has white splotches everywhere.  im in the middle of a fresh install or i would post screenies (trying to get all my animations and enb crap sorted out to free up resources  :)

oh, and they share the same mesh.  thats why im so confused about the texture issue.

the regular diano textures are in  BAMMv1-3-1PartOne\textures\R18pn\Armor\Diano Armor

royal diano textures are in BAMMv1-3-1PartOne\textures\Messias\R18Pn06Diano

i looked at both files and they seem identical, except for the colors, ofc.

Then it must be using a texture set to swap textures.

Try removing the waist this way.

Click the nitrishape and scroll down in the block details to flags,

click on the flag icon and in the box that pops up put a tick in the hidden box then hit accept.

lsbdfa6kmyx9g2g7g.jpg

This should keep the name / number of / order of nitrishapes so the texture set will work as it should.

Though not tried it my self but it should work.

ok, i have another question for you...

i have this armor conversion i am working on.  the original body piece has like 27 pieces.  some of the texture files have several images laid out on them while others are are simple metal textures and whatnot.  in 3ds max i attached many of the  pieces together.  so instead of 6 seperate meshes for the dagger sheath on the leg, there is now just 1.  panty was 1 mesh, bra was 6, now is just 1, shoulder armor was 7 meshes per side, now is 1 single piece.  in total there are 6 meshes for the body armor; bra,  panty, leg, collar, many of the pieces used the same diffuse or normal map.  problem is, idk how to get the textures working again.  the armor works in game...  but its all pink and shiny.

shit...  i didnt even know that existed!

thanks a lot.  i will try it out as son as i can install my armor sets.

EDIT:

you are a genius!!

YAY!!

attachicon.gifScreenShot2.bmp

wow this picture looks fantastic. I know nothing about modding and can not help you too.

but I have a question and please, could you make a conversion for CHSBHC?

german

wow dieses bild sieht fantastisch aus . ich verstehe nichts von modding und kann dir auch nicht helfen .

aber ich habe eine frage und bitte , könntest du eine konvertierung für CHSBHC machen ?

If it shows up in game a bright purple/pink colour it means no textures are being applied.

Check the texture paths in the nif, so that there properly pointing to the textures.

And also check the textures files them selves, make sure the .dds is not corrupt and that it it fits to the power of 2. (256, 512, 1024, 2048)

It could also be if you never copied over a BSLightingShaderProperty from a working nif.

Max's niftools don't export them correctly.

@ Vioxsis

the thing is...  each of those little parts had a path to a diffuse and normal file.  but when i attached the parts to each other...  (for instance when i made 7 meshes into 1) all the textures went to hell.  i know i can probably cut and paste all the texture files together like a patchwork quilt, but idk how to reposition all the UV maps to the right places.  is there an automatic way (or easier way) to handle the merging of multiple meshes with different textures into one?

@Winny257

i dont use CHSBHC myself...   always felt the proportions were too extreme and overall the body just looked fat.  but, from what i read, CHSBHC and CBBE bodies are compatible; so CBBE armors will work on CHSBHC bodies. if you use bodyslide, you can use the sliders to get whatever shaped body you desire, AND, the diano armors are part of BAMM! and are fully bodyslide compatible.

There is no automatic way to merge the UVs.. Well there is under 'tools > pack UVs' but i have never had the best success with it, but you could give it a go see what happens.

The only other way, is to do it by hand. <(that's how i would do it)

Just add an unwrap UVW modifier above the edit(able) mesh/poly modifier and click the open UV editor button.

If you're at a loss on how to use it just search for some vid's on it or use the max help (f1) and read up on it there. 

After doing either one you will then have to merge the textures in PS/gimp to match the new UVs, this can only be done by hand.

Unwrapping meshes is..... :blink:  But all you have to do is arrange and fit them on to one grid, which is like a jigsaw puzzle with no right way to do it... :wacko:

@ Vioxsis

so, in other words...  i need a new UV map no matter how i look at it?  thanks, i'll play with it and see if i can hash it out.  but it may just be easier to re-convert the armor without uniting all the meshes...

@ Winny257

PM me with YOUR femalebody_0.NIF file so i have the right base shape for you and i will see what i can do.

your shape may not have been taken to extreme, but here is how i usually see the chsbhc body used:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/15208-megalovs-thread/

my preference runs toward thinner hips and a smaller butt

here are my bodyslide 0 and 1, and my personal setting at 55%

71rv.png

EDIT: btw, winny257, the armor im having issues with is the snake armor on megalov's page.  i made a conversion slider but it needs more work and it leaves the armor with cone-shaped torpedo nipples

Yeah it will need a new set of UVs if you want it to be 1 NiTriShape.

after watching some of the videos winny posted, i decided to start over.  i found the original oblivion mod (Much closer to the cbbe shape anyways) and several recolors for it.  and, im gonna leave it as multiple meshes.  just gotta smooth out the top and i should be ready to weight paint and generate sliders.  yay!

Yeah it will need a new set of UVs if you want it to be 1 NiTriShape.

after watching some of the videos winny posted, i decided to start over.  i found the original oblivion mod (Much closer to the cbbe shape anyways) and several recolors for it.  and, im gonna leave it as multiple meshes.  just gotta smooth out the top and i should be ready to weight paint and generate sliders.  yay!

it's nice that I could help you with this video.

no offense, that I have asked for a version CHSBHC!

this MegaLov's body I do not like, which is really too fat.

I just thought I could be your heart soften to make a conversion, a pity.

german

es ist schön das ich mit diesem video helfen konnte .

nichts für ungut , daß ich nach einer CHSBHC version gefragt habe !

diesen MegaLov's körper mag ich nicht , der ist wirklich zu fett .

ich dachte nur ich könnte dein herz erweichen um eine konvertierung zu machen , schade .

OK, so, i have spent the last 3 days trying to fix this snake armor.  i started over from scratch and ported the original over from oblivion. i have managed to get the armor to show up in game, although the normals n the baseshape are all fucked up somehow. in game it is blindingly bright to look at, and ALL of the textures are kinda dull and bland.  i tried to replace the texture of one of the shoulder pads so it doesnt look like a turtle shell taped to my arm, but it didnt work out right.

here is the original texture:

r493.jpg

and my texture:
gpip.jpg

in nifskope:
lezh.jpg

in the last image you can see that the texture is applied, but it is so dark you cant see it worth a shit.

any ideas what i am doing wrong and how to fix it?  also...  here is the actual DDS file i made.

jian.rar

thanks in advance

EDIT:

also...  i would like to tone down the brightness of the top and i was thinking maybe something with sparkles ; )  i have an idea but idk if it would work.  is it possible to make a specular map that looks something like this:

xpnl.jpg

each white point would reflect environment light such as fires or sunlight and stuff right?  like little sequin's?

that is the same armor.  the problem is, i dont want those textures, but when i tried to replace them, they didnt come out right.  my red snakeskin sows as almost all black..

that is the same armor.  the problem is, i dont want those textures, but when i tried to replace them, they didnt come out right.  my red snakeskin sows as almost all black..

same armor, yes!

but there is another version, this one is sexier, she has no breast plates!

the nipples are covered only by a sinuous snake.

view them even more closely.

I'm sorry, unfortunately I know nothing about modding.

german

gleiche rüstung , ja !

aber es ist eine andere version , diese hier ist sexyer , sie hat keine brustplatten !

die brustwarzen werden nur von einer gewundenen schlange verdeckt .

schau sie dir mal genauer an .

es tut mir leid , leider verstehe ich nichts von modding .

The blinding brightness is probably from the normal map missing alpha data.

They also might look dull and bland due to not setting the BS Num UV Sets to 4097, That value is needed to show tangent normals properly.

And the texture you linked to is black not red, so it looks like it is in the nifskope pic.

And i have never tried to use a sec map like that but there is no reason it shouldn't work, worth a try at least.

The blinding brightness is probably from the normal map missing alpha data.

They also might look dull and bland due to not setting the BS Num UV Sets to 4097, That value is needed to show tangent normals properly.

And the texture you linked to is black not red, so it looks like it is in the nifskope pic.

And i have never tried to use a sec map like that but there is no reason it shouldn't work, worth a try at least.

@ vioxsis

well...  how the hell did it turn black?  you can see it is red in photoshop...

i just set all BS num uv sets to 4096.

i made the fabric for the top from scratch using the shell modifier on the baseshape and deleting the un-needed areas.  i made a pelt map of it using nightasy's tutorials but i never made it a new normal map.  not even sure how to do that but i will check the tutorials. 

and...  i will try another way to turn my green snakeskin jpg into a red snakeskin dds.

thanks again, vioxsis

@ winny

it actually isnt a snake wrapped around the boobs, its just a metal bar...  but making it into a snake would look pretty sweet.

also... in the images you linked, you can see the larger snakes tail poking out from between the butt-cheeks.  in my version, i turned that into a butt-plug.

once i understand these texturing issues a bit better, im gonna redo all the textures with more real-looking materials.

well...  how the hell did it turn black?  you can see it is red in photoshop...

I have no idea, at least i don't with out more information.

Was it 1 layer in PS?

If you open the jian.dds you linked is it black or red?

Have any other textures come out wrong?

What are your dds export settings?

The dds plugin could be playing up, try reinstalling it.

Archived