RaceMenu or ECE ?

dje34

2,300 members have voted

1. 1. Which Character Creation Mod do you prefer ?

• RaceMenu
    • ECE
    • Other (please, tell us)

Oh, that sounds much better. Thanks for clarifying.

Yep, you should stop posting and work your ass off for that flesh mod you're working on.

Nah, doesn't matter. Everyone makes mistakes in their life. Posting in forums is a way to express one's self, why shouldn't you?

I've used both ... love em both,  ECE has options I love that Race Menu doesn't have and vise versa. I've made some really nice Avi's with both and my only complaint would be that Race Menu seems to drop my fps real low once I reach the 80th ish slider (idle animations) they both seem to work flawlessly for me but, I must admit, the only reason I didnt stay with ECE in the first place was "I heard" it clashes with sexlab due to the face morphs... not true of course but hey, you live and you learn :P In truth, you can't go wrong with ether one IMO! 

I didn't try ECE, but I had problems with RaceMenu. Whenever I used RaceMenu in combination with any CBBE, the waist and several other features would not follow the settings of the bodyslider, and using RaceMenu to change those specific parts wouldn't show any difference. So RaceMenu basically forced the hourglass waist and some more on me. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if RaceMenu always does that. But I threw it out.

I wanted to create a particular character looking like a model i like so much, racemenu lacked on tweakings to nose and other points in the face, tried ece and i stayed with it, i love Ece, hasn't tried racemenu again, but i have 21 presets ready for use at any time in ece

Well I've tried ECE and I felt like there was no bounds to how great or how small I could "transform" the body. Though sometimes you don't want things so large, or so small...I felt as though in some areas the changes were too restrictive and in others too lax...I was using the CBBE body though so that might have something to do with it.

Otherwise I'm planning on trying out Racemenu from the way it sounds with the new 2.5.1 patch and the ChargeGen morphs for ECE it doesn't sound like it will matter what you use...ECE or Racemenu as long as you are satisfied with how it looks and how your character looks.

Unless I'm missing something. I doubt I will use Racemenu until the time when I get my new computer and do the fresh install of all the mods I'm getting ready. =o

i honestly changed from racemenu to ece today and its just amazing the change so much better looking UI and costomissation..

just sucks thats you cant use the tattoo/pubic hair overlay i had.

Shit it's Ulfric! Better hide the Imperial crap I stole borrowed - I mean I have nothing suspicious at all. There's nothing to see here. Move along.

Anyway, I've tried both but I prefer the overlays.

I've got 3 questions : Are you still working on Race Menu ? When will the next version be released ? Will it include vertex editing ?

Yes. I don't know when. It should if I can manage to iron out all the bugs and work out a better method of rendering the wireframe ingame. Possibly adding volumetric editing.

One thing I must say though is that, the more you figure out Race Menu, you can create almost virtually the same face you can in ECE, although the limitations is on the head mesh - which is holding Race Menu/Chargen back at the moment - that is, until the Vertex Edit is released. What I mean by this is that, it's not easily switchable like it is with ECE where you can change head meshes on the fly such as RAN's edits. To change the head mesh nifs on RaceMenu Chargen it runs into a texture loading problem due to the meshes having texture paths baked in them(which would require nifskope I guess). And, not having a Vertex Editor hurts possibilities.

This is mostly correct. I was planning to compile RAN's head meshes into morphs that will act as sliders to make the 'round' face you see from ECE. Making morphs given a whole mesh and taking the difference is easier than actually making a morph yourself (which I can't really do).

I was using both to be honest, I love the tattoo overlays and love the options on ECE. If you use both you get a few less features and I couldn't seem to export anything but it worked. I just tried switching to just RaceMenu + Chargen, but I just cannot get a nice round face or nose out if it. I wish I could just switch. If anyone has any tips to get the face/nose more rounded, let me know. I really just want to recreate Vaelara (Below) with just racemenu. I just cannot seem to get my nose rounded or my cheeks, it's really annoying. ;P

The round face is from RANs head meshes, and possibly the 'base' morph included with ECE, which is not included with CharGen because I believe the base morph is supposed to overwrite the existing morph values CharGen is strictly additive morphs.

O_o

If you update to the Alpha release of SKSE (1.7.0) and load up racemenu you'll see a few more new racemenu icons including:

A VERTEX EDIT MODE!

Disclaimer: It is not functional yet, I believe Expired is still ironing out bugs and waiting for the SKSE team to finish the 1.7.0 update.

Anyway, soon enough there will be less excuses to keep using ECE over Racemenu (<--- My personal opinion lol, feel free to rebuke it)

Not waiting for 1.7.0, just been busy and haven't had many days where I can consecutively work on it until I get a satisfactory amount done, or finished altogether. Finishing in one session is unlikely though as I'm going to have to do some really low-level DirectX rendering to draw the mesh and interact with it which I've done very little of (The one shown is ridiculously slow as it's rendered in Scaleform via software projections). I'm hoping to get some volume based editing in where you can just paint where you want the face to change instead of a really clumsy move based edit. Right now the edit can move an array of vertices, but I find it's really tedious to do. It doesn't translate to the actual face yet but I should be able to work that out easier than actually designing the UI.

I'm using ECE at the moment, tried RM as well and here are my thoughts:

Both have incredible features and are great for making characters. However:

1. Racemenu:

- Too few sliders, an add-on is great to give it ECE's sliders but they do not work on custom races.

2. ECE:

- Doesn't work with custom races. (tons of error like failed to get facemorph, blah blah)

So it's a damn shame. I'm using ECE now because I can actually create characters to my liking. If RM can have as many sliders as ECE does, I'd change in a heart beat.

I'm useing Racemenu with CharGen Extension (ECE Morph) and i'm really happy with this setup. And I think the best part of Racemenu is the Overlays Plugin. I LOVE tattoos ! :)

This setups runs on my pc since two weeks, before i had Racemenu + ECE setup. But I miss good compaibility with this. I mean, it works and i had no problems, lke CTD's or something, but I was never really really happy with this.

So you recommend me that definitely disable the ECE and add CharGen Extension to the Racemenu to replace the ECE ?  I don't know many things about the mods but I think many of them need the Racemenu, right?  I love the tattoos of the Racemenu too !!! :)

Yes, but you won't have all features of ECE. It's my personal taste and works great for me.

I uninstall ECE and my girl return to a better form, with ECE and Racemenu She have a weird face, the only thing that I miss is the modified breast.

I'm useing Racemenu with CharGen Extension (ECE Morph) and i'm really happy with this setup. And I think the best part of Racemenu is the Overlays Plugin. I LOVE tattoos ! :)

This setups runs on my pc since two weeks, before i had Racemenu + ECE setup. But I miss good compaibility with this. I mean, it works and i had no problems, lke CTD's or something, but I was never really really happy with this.

So you recommend me that definitely disable the ECE and add CharGen Extension to the Racemenu to replace the ECE ?  I don't know many things about the mods but I think many of them need the Racemenu, right?  I love the tattoos of the Racemenu too !!! :)

Yes, but you won't have all features of ECE. It's my personal taste and works great for me.

I uninstall ECE and my girl return to a better form, with ECE and Racemenu She have a weird face, the only thing that I miss is the modified breast.

Yeah, I`m missing some parts of ECE too... but we can't get all the things we want. And for me, I prefer Tattoos over the ECE sliders. GOD  I love Tattoos on Girls :)

Here is a Pic from my newest Character and I think i got a really good result

Racemenu:

Pros

-More sliders (including all ECE already have).

-Better interface.

-Save / load faces directly in your skse/plugins not in your savegame folder.

-Can export head mesh, so can create followers faces.

-Overlays.

-Compatible with any head mesh, not dependant on one like ECE.

-Addon friendly

Cons

-Vertex edit still in beta.

ECE:

Pros

-Finished vertex edit

Cons

-Less sliders

-Worse interface

-Clunky Save / load faces

-Dependant / limited on its own head mesh

-No extra features like head export, overlays, etc.

Im a vivid ECE user but I hardly use vertex editor just for a few touchups (mostly the nose) what I do use all the time is the expressions tab. So I guess my main question is does racemenu have it? I would like to make the transition so I can have the tattoos overlays. But I need to know if the facial expressions are there and easy to use

Guess I will try a few times with console then and see if I can get used to it before I decide to make the switch :D

The with entering character edit thgh is that after u selected a pose you can adjust the body posture even more and change the position of the head while then moving the direction of where your character is looking into the lens or away from it. That is one of the reasons why I love using the expressions tab :D

I see people saying they both work fine together. This is just not true. Even the original author are saying that they can be used together but some part will not work right. This alone makes them incompatible. if some part of the mod is not working right then they are not compatible.

Also using them together will make adjustment to skeleton height. And make your character much shorter then they really should be. Even if you increase the height they will reset back the moment you leave the menu.

none, for many of these mods you need more mods I just do not want to use!

long as there is no independent mod, I will clearly come only with the console command "showracemenu".

That is false. Neither ECE or Racemenu require any other mod to work. The only requirement in both case is SKSE.

I see people saying they both work fine together. This is just not true. Even the original author are saying that they can be used together but some part will not work right. This alone makes them incompatible. if some part of the mod is not working right then they are not compatible.

Also using them together will make adjustment to skeleton height. And make your character much shorter then they really should be. Even if you increase the height they will reset back the moment you leave the menu.

What is suposed to work together is Chargen Morphs with ECE. Other Racemenu addons (including Chargen Core and Chargen ECE Morphs) should turn it uncompatible, I haven't tried, not that I personally see the point in using both, I find it redundant, but they should work in theory.

Archived