RaceMenu or ECE ?

dje34

2,300 members have voted

1. 1. Which Character Creation Mod do you prefer ?

• RaceMenu
    • ECE
    • Other (please, tell us)

More and more I work only with ece and this week i'm at the point of not wanting to bother with RaceMenu at all. I love the warpaints and freckle overlays... but that's all I use it for, and that is getting harder and harder. This new update to racemenu did it in for me. Not that its bad... but just that I don't have or want to use the time to learn it. I rather spend that time looking for another way to get freckles.

Just how I work. XD

I find that I create better looking characters with Racemenu, but ECE is more useful for screenshots and preset loading/saving.  It's a toss up really, but I have an awesome Racemenu created character that is finally what I wanted my character to look for, so I voted Racemenu :P

• 1 month later...

post-5926-0-19321300-1406047887_thumb.pngThey are both great utilities that I would consider staples like salt and pepper, packed with features that are simply unavailable without using them.  There is some overlap, and it would be great to see these minds merge to give us a single interface.  If this never happens, I hope some great mind would step up and give us a compatibility patch, to enable all unique functions.  I have tried to using both but things get whacked in the process based on what you load last or install last.  So basically, sometimes I use ECE and sometimes I use Racemenu.  Racemenu seems to have more features that could be useful long term throughout the game, but ECE allows you to load a vast collection of the best looking characters made for Skyrim.  You can get a great looking character via face copy using Racemenu though.  You will need to pick out a custom face, find some great looking followers mod that use the same or similar face files that you chose.  Try racemenu face copy,  and start building a library of decent faces.  Right now, I'm back with Racemenu and used face copy to create this char from a copy of Elisif, while using a fairly old mod called Decent Women.

I think the trend is moving toward RaceMenu since both CITRUS Unibody/high-poly head and the new XPMS skeleton are targeting for RaceMenu 3.# bundled releases.  Familiar Faces is also RaceMenu only.  I hope RM3 introduces an easy and popular method for sharing presets because many like myself depend on the CME presets from here and Nexus as foundation to build our characters.

RaceMenu. ECE is for people who create Oblivion-grade genetic abominations.

LMAO! :lol:

I use both. I use Mod Organizer so I have a couple profiles using RM because the body types weren't ECE compatible. But the others use ECE. Why? Because the characters turn out better looking in far less time with a less confusing interface that doesn't have multiple sliders for the same thing.

EDIT: I should also add that using the XPMS Extended skeleton (a must have these days) also adds a TON of new skeletal sliders to the ECE interface. All kinds of good stuff. AND it still has a functioning vertices editor.

post-243307-0-10222000-1406129979_thumb.jpgpost-243307-0-79859700-1406129979_thumb.jpg

I recasted my vote from way before, to RaceMenu.

The learning curve for RaceMenu is higher since it doesn't automatically start on the typical community attractive face the way ECE does - you have to try mad hard to make an unattractive face with ECE, real hard. But outside of the vertex editor, ECE feels very limited in comparison, end up with "same face syndrome" because the interface doesn't allow one to warp the meshes unrecognizable from the preset shapes. To those that said RaceMenu's multiple sliders that do the same thing: they warp the mesh differently, sometimes you only want a little bit of one of the sliders and a lot of another or both to achieve a certain look, it's using multiple chargen.

Sometimes when updating RaceMenu will bug out or whatever, it used to bother me a lot, but if ECE was actually updated it would probably go through the exact same issue.

It's wrong to say that characters made on ECE look all the same. It happens because the presets/defaults already look nice so most people will just modify a few things here and there. But it can generate almost any kind of face. Just look most follower and char-revamp mods made on ECE by talented people, like Bijin Warmaidens, Chaconne, Seranaholic, Mirai, Sofia...

Using ECE since i've installed it first a long time ago. I've tried RaceMenu couple of times, but it's just not my thing. I like the interface of ECE so much more, and also the way ECE asks you to save your Preset to a Slot when you go out of the  Racemenu automatically is a must-have for me.

On a sidenote, Citrus head works fine with ECE together with CBBE body, no problem.

It's wrong to say that characters made on ECE look all the same. It happens because the presets/defaults already look nice so most people will just modify a few things here and there. But it can generate almost any kind of face. Just look most follower and char-revamp mods made on ECE by talented people, like Bijin Warmaidens, Chaconne, Seranaholic, Mirai, Sofia...

I spend a lot of time on the Skyrim image uploader (skyrim.jpn.org) and yes they do all look the same. It's because the default preset makes the head mesh and sliders not have any cheekbones and the faces are completely round by default. Most people don't change this and they all end up with the same facial features. It's fine for younger characters like Poet. But when you look at RS children overhaul it proves that you can make significantly better looking children by putting in the effort of working those cheekbone sliders.

It's not that ECE isn't as good at making good looking AND diverse characters. It's just that It makes it easy for people new to character creation to get a character that's decent looking with very little work.

Racemenu does the opposite and throws you in the deep end of the pool with vanilla presets and a shit ton of sliders. I was able to make a classic default ECE look for my new Dunmer character using the EEO sliders with the ECE sliders in Racemenu. She's all round faced and big eyed, totally doesn't fit in anywhere lol. O yeah and I use the Pretty face head mesh. You know till Citrus gets EEO compatibility :P/

O yeah and I'm pretty sure ECE is better for male characters than Racemenu. Haven't seen any racemenu made males equal the ECE ones yet.

I spend a lot of time on the Skyrim image uploader (skyrim.jpn.org) and yes they do all look the same. It's because the default preset makes the head mesh and sliders not have any cheekbones and the faces are completely round by default. Most people don't change this and they all end up with the same facial features. It's fine for younger characters like Poet. But when you look at RS children overhaul it proves that you can make significantly better looking children by putting in the effort of working those cheekbone sliders.

It's not that ECE isn't as good at making good looking AND diverse characters. It's just that It makes it easy for people new to character creation to get a character that's decent looking with very little work.

Racemenu does the opposite and throws you in the deep end of the pool with vanilla presets and a shit ton of sliders. I was able to make a classic default ECE look for my new Dunmer character using the EEO sliders with the ECE sliders in Racemenu. She's all round faced and big eyed, totally doesn't fit in anywhere lol. O yeah and I use the Pretty face head mesh. You know till Citrus gets EEO compatibility :P/

O yeah and I'm pretty sure ECE is better for male characters than Racemenu. Haven't seen any racemenu made males equal the ECE ones yet.

Personally, I use the sliders of the chin, if you do not use the face is a little too round ball, is good only for pure-anime character

instead for my characters I am inspired to some anime characters and real people, actresses, my friends, etc. ..

I use almost all the ECE sliders, those of the chin are fundamental. such as those of the nose and mouth

post-204983-0-65963500-1406607395_thumb.jpg

post-204983-0-55202400-1406607725_thumb.jpg

post-204983-0-75423400-1406607746_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made the switch to RaceMenu recently. I was able to more or less remake my character again without much issue. Took a long time of fooling around with all the sliders but I eventually got it. I've just got one vertice on my character's cheeks that points out oddly, where the rest of her face is smooth... not really sure how to fix it lol. But it's not noticeable while playing so, I guess it's not a big deal.

I would've just stayed with ECE but, seems a lot of upcoming or existing mods I want to try require it so, guess I'll be keeping it for now. Hoping RaceMenu will have a working vert editor like ECE does eventually (even though I never had to use it in ECE).

How difficult was recreating your character in RaceMenu?

If you use the ECE morphs in RaceMenu, are you able to access the same sliders? And does using the same slider settings produce similar results?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived