RaceMenu or ECE ?

dje34

2,300 members have voted

1. 1. Which Character Creation Mod do you prefer ?

• RaceMenu
    • ECE
    • Other (please, tell us)

I started out with RaceMenu but moved over to ECE, simply because the color functions doesn't work in RaceMenu (ime) and it was super annoying, i tried the extended color slider but despite the 1665 or whatever amount of colors, it felt extremely limited as it only "shaded on top" and didn't color thoroughly (what I mean is, if you use extended color slider to choose for instance a red skin, and you're a dark elf whose vanilla skin would be bluegreenish, you will get a weird purple texture and can never really get rid of the underlying vanilla color. Getting a normal skin color using that mod was impossible) and the built-in colorchooser in RaceMenu simply never worked, so I just chose ECE and got my character to look the way I want. The only problem I've had so far is that when I choose war paint it doesn't seem to stay and I have to rechoose it whenever I open the showracemenu through console... I do miss the GUI for RaceMenu though

Everything color related works just fine for me in RM. You're doing it wrong.

Extended Colors whatever isn't needed with RM anymore.

Possibly. But ECE works just fine for me, and I found nothing in RM's FAQ about what was going on with the colorpicker not working, and I had already fiddled with it for so long because installing SKSE was a pain in itself that I gave up without spending an hour googling what could be wrong for once :P

Seriously how can installing SKSE be a pain in the ass, there is an installer and a video for it. And why is SKSE being a pain in the ass to install a reason to pick ECE over RaceMenu or vice versa, both need it! Both don't function without it installed correctly.

and BTW 

TROUBLESHOOTING

If neither hair color nor tint colors do anything this means that your SKSE scripts are not up to date. Note: This still requires you actually have and run SKSE.

That is what I found when I search on the RaceMenu description page for the word "color" which took 1 sec of time.

Simply because the explanation isn't very thorough with telling you what to put in in which folder; At first I thought all SKSE related stuff should be in /data, then someone randomly input that was wrong and it had to be simply in the /skyrim folder, neither worked. Not until I put it in both the Skyrim AND the data folder, it didn't say anywhere this was necessary and honestly, all I needed was someone saying specific paths for folders/dlls/whatevers to be in what, but despite endless googling it was still a pain in the ass to figure out where to put what. And I did even watch the video back then, but it was so long-drawn in what seemed to be endlessly irrelevant details (how to click a folder) that I could've missed something...

I did download the latest SKSE, (why should I download anything else?) from skse.silverlock.org even multiple times and overwrote it over and over again as it didn't ever work, and I noticed each time that they had same size and date for last edit, so I doubt I clicked wrong. I'm currently not using the beta, but current built. I did attempt both back when I had a lot of trouble installing it I remember though. So yeah, you might've been very smart and found this in "1 sec", but that really didn't help my case trying to update it, whether I did it wrong or not (replacing the same folder over and over with the same, latest files...) As it seems right now, my other SKSE related stuff works just fine, but racemenu. But again, I don't mind ECE fulfills my needs as of now, my character is as pretty as I want her to be facewise :P

Edit: I didn't say that it was a reason to install one thing over the other. I said it took so much energy to finally make it work, that I probably didn't invest as much in having RaceMenu work properly as ECE did with ease after I finally made SKSE work. Basically I was just tired of trying to change minimal differences in folder positions, having to start up Skyrim with all the mods loading each and every single time on my lovely slow computer just to check if it "finally does work now". I got demotivated.

I started out with RaceMenu but moved over to ECE, simply because the color functions doesn't work in RaceMenu (ime) and it was super annoying, i tried the extended color slider but despite the 1665 or whatever amount of colors, it felt extremely limited as it only "shaded on top" and didn't color thoroughly (what I mean is, if you use extended color slider to choose for instance a red skin, and you're a dark elf whose vanilla skin would be bluegreenish, you will get a weird purple texture and can never really get rid of the underlying vanilla color. Getting a normal skin color using that mod was impossible) and the built-in colorchooser in RaceMenu simply never worked, so I just chose ECE and got my character to look the way I want. The only problem I've had so far is that when I choose war paint it doesn't seem to stay and I have to rechoose it whenever I open the showracemenu through console... I do miss the GUI for RaceMenu though

Possibly. But ECE works just fine for me, and I found nothing in RM's FAQ about what was going on with the colorpicker not working, and I had already fiddled with it for so long because installing SKSE was a pain in itself that I gave up without spending an hour googling what could be wrong for once :P

Seriously how can installing SKSE be a pain in the ass, there is an installer and a video for it. And why is SKSE being a pain in the ass to install a reason to pick ECE over RaceMenu or vice versa, both need it! Both don't function without it installed correctly.

and BTW 

TROUBLESHOOTING

If neither hair color nor tint colors do anything this means that your SKSE scripts are not up to date. Note: This still requires you actually have and run SKSE.

That is what I found when I search on the RaceMenu description page for the word "color" which took 1 sec of time.

Simply because the explanation isn't very thorough with telling you what to put in in which folder; At first I thought all SKSE related stuff should be in /data, then someone randomly input that was wrong and it had to be simply in the /skyrim folder, neither worked. Not until I put it in both the Skyrim AND the data folder, it didn't say anywhere this was necessary and honestly, all I needed was someone saying specific paths for folders/dlls/whatevers to be in what, but despite endless googling it was still a pain in the ass to figure out where to put what. And I did even watch the video back then, but it was so long-drawn in what seemed to be endlessly irrelevant details (how to click a folder) that I could've missed something...

I did download the latest SKSE, (why should I download anything else?) from skse.silverlock.org even multiple times and overwrote it over and over again as it didn't ever work, and I noticed each time that they had same size and date for last edit, so I doubt I clicked wrong. I'm currently not using the beta, but current built. I did attempt both back when I had a lot of trouble installing it I remember though. So yeah, you might've been very smart and found this in "1 sec", but that really didn't help my case trying to update it, whether I did it wrong or not (replacing the same folder over and over with the same, latest files...) As it seems right now, my other SKSE related stuff works just fine, but racemenu. But again, I don't mind ECE fulfills my needs as of now, my character is as pretty as I want her to be facewise :P

Edit: I didn't say that it was a reason to install one thing over the other. I said it took so much energy to finally make it work, that I probably didn't invest as much in having RaceMenu work properly as ECE did with ease after I finally made SKSE work. Basically I was just tired of trying to change minimal differences in folder positions, having to start up Skyrim with all the mods loading each and every single time on my lovely slow computer just to check if it "finally does work now". I got demotivated.

Next time, use the SKSE installer instead of the archive. There's a reason it exists. ;)

Installing RaceMenu is as simply as using NMM/MO or putting the files into your Data folder if you don't use these.

In my opinion you will have more problems/limitations with ECE in the future than with RM.

Simply because the explanation isn't very thorough with telling you what to put in in which folder; At first I thought all SKSE related stuff should be in /data, then someone randomly input that was wrong and it had to be simply in the /skyrim folder, neither worked.

Hello, a well-meant advice:

--->GophersVids on YouTube<---

You might want to put this as start page in your browser or something. I learned most of what there is to learn about Skyrim/Fallout modding from him.

and BTW 

TROUBLESHOOTING

Next time, use the SKSE installer instead of the archive. There's a reason it exists. ;)

Installing RaceMenu is as simply as using NMM/MO or putting the files into your Data folder if you don't use these.

In my opinion you will have more problems/limitations with ECE in the future than with RM.

What future? It already caused problems and since 3.0 it is far more limited than it was compared to 2.9.6.

I.. want to love Racemenu but.. ECE Has Height Sliders. And... I like being smaller than everyone else at least by a little. Is there any way to add Height sliders to Racemenu ? 

There has been height sliders in RM for a long time. In RM3 it should be under Body scale.

I.. want to love Racemenu but.. ECE Has Height Sliders. And... I like being smaller than everyone else at least by a little. Is there any way to add Height sliders to Racemenu ? 

There's several different types of height sliders. There's a normal height slider, there's 3 sliders for just the spine, there's a slider for leg/torso proportion, sliders for calf length, thigh length.. lots of ways to make yourself different heights. Make sure you're using xpmse and you've got the xpmse plugins loaded how it says to.

There's several different types of height sliders. There's a normal height slider, there's 3 sliders for just the spine, there's a slider for leg/torso proportion, sliders for calf length, thigh length.. lots of ways to make yourself different heights. Make sure you're using xpmse and you've got the xpmse plugins loaded how it says to.

I thought I had those. But suddenly after uninstalling some.. Uuuh Overlay mods. Some features Of Racemenu disappeared. Those Sliders disappeared too. I guess I should reinstall racemenu and the XPMSE too. Caaaause When you told me to install it, I did. 

There has been height sliders in RM for a long time. In RM3 it should be under Body scale.

Uh ? I never knew.. Thanks Enjuno ^^ !

I thought I had those. But suddenly after uninstalling some.. Uuuh Overlay mods. Some features Of Racemenu disappeared. Those Sliders disappeared too. I guess I should reinstall racemenu and the XPMSE too. Caaaause When you told me to install it, I did. 

I don't use nmm anymore so I don't remember quite how it works, but there's a certain order you have to install things because NMM puts stuff into the data folder and actually overwrites things. With racemenu it's especially important to install things correctly. If you have anything in overlay files that try to overwrite racemenu, you'll have to install racemenu loose scripts after that. There's several guides in the racemenu threads. It's one of those things with getting overlays to play nice. All you asked for what other overlays I used.  :s

I don't use nmm anymore so I don't remember quite how it works, but there's a certain order you have to install things because NMM puts stuff into the data folder and actually overwrites things. With racemenu it's especially important to install things correctly. If you have anything in overlay files that try to overwrite racemenu, you'll have to install racemenu loose scripts after that. There's several guides in the racemenu threads. It's one of those things with getting overlays to play nice. All you asked for what other overlays I used.  :s

Aaaaand I still had those sliders when I had those Overlays. I know I saw them. I know I had them. But now they're just... Gone. I reinstalled Racemenu and XPMSE. Soooo... the heck ? o -o; 

Aaaaand I still had those sliders when I had those Overlays. I know I saw them. I know I had them. But now they're just... Gone. I reinstalled Racemenu and XPMSE. Soooo... the heck ? o -o; 

You need to have the default RaceMenuPlugin active, I don't include them anymore because it is not necessary anymore. Height is in the default plugin.

Did you check to see if the esp for any of those turned off? all racemenuplugin esp's need to be active. And in the correct order. (Also if you're using a new game and using an alternate start, you might have to create the character, then re-open showracemenu to get the sliders to populate. Alternate start begins too early for all of it to start right off. It's a thing)

You need to have the default RaceMenuPlugin active, I don't include them anymore because it is not necessary anymore. Height is in the default plugin.

The Default Racemenuplugin.esp ? 

Yea... Thats been active since I installed it.. and still is. Right under it is Uuuuh.. RacemenuplugingXPMSE.esp. 

Edit:Added the E to XPMS

Edit#2:

Soooo I don't know how. But I fixed it x .x I got the sliders and all. Whew... I don't know what was the problem but yea.. I fixed it somehow. Yaaaay. 

Racemenu for me now . _.

• 1 year later...

I know there is a way to use them both b/c I have before. I had a Racemenu look with a lot of the ECE menu options under the "Extra" column, but now I can't figure out how I did that. I use ECE b/c it allows you to edit the shoulders, and racemenu doesn't have options like that which make a big difference for me. i wish I could figure out a way to get all the sliders working at once

I like ECE I mess with it for hours have hundreds of presets. Racemenu is also nice I jusr prefer ECE I guess I just know it more. Both have valid merits and truthfully both are very powerful but there is ump-qua ice cream and there is Tillmook ice cream both are tasty but everyone thinks the other or vice versa.

• 3 weeks later...

Ece for me. I've used both and I used to have an older version of both that worked fine using through two together. Since I've reinstalled since then and upgraded I have no clue how to do it again, but I use ece and ece more body sliders bc of the shoulder editing. If racemenu had shoulder edits I'd use it instead but the ones it has make my character look deformed

People who don't want their PC/NPC to have mismatched eye shapes and positions.

RaceMenu has all of ECE's morphs included, including the base head shape morph, and I never had mismatched eye position issues.

Must be a specific morph causing it that you can simply try not to use.

Also, can some moderator lock this thread already. It's annoying the hell out of me.

Thanks so much skyrim_faux20 and Ertyrty for reviving it! You must really like drama. :P

RaceMenu has all of ECE's morphs included, including the base head shape morph, and I never had mismatched eye position issues.

Also, can some moderator lock this thread already. It's annoying the hell out of me.

Thanks so much skyrim_faux20 and Ertyrty for reviving it! You must really like drama. :P

Might wanna take a closer look at your signature, cause your eye positions aren't symmetrical, and every pic on RM's image tab has the same thing.

Might wanna take a closer look at your signature, cause your eye positions aren't symmetrical, and every pic on RM's image tab has the same thing.

I looked at about 20 author and user images on the RM page just now and none had asymmetrical eyes.

Pretty sure I did it intentionally for my avatar image, maybe it's a facial expression thing.

Archived