[Wip] Intimacy Project

t3589

I probably should have added this before.  Now there is a message indicator to let you know when you've been temporarily shunned in an area.  In case you were wondering why solicitation stopped drawing in patrons after you've pissed someone off.

For now, just try soliciting someplace else for a while if an area shuts you down.  Later, you'll be able to go to your pimp and immediately get back in business.

Question:  IIRC, when you're in the same cell as a dateable NPC, they will get upset if you don't talk to them.  Is it that way with companions as well?

That reminds me to turn that teammate toggle back on.  Thanks for reminding me.  That applies to everyone who is capable of intimacy, except teammates.  Updated.  Sorry.

EDIT: Also they don't get upset really, they just think you're ignoring them.  Some NPCs will take it harder than others.  For example your wife or husband might not care so much about ignore, whereas a boyfriend or girlfriend will get a little bit more finicky the more you do it.  It can also be used to your advantage if you ignore them at the right time.

Yeah.  Cause I totally knew about that toggle and stuff.  Definitely.

Well I turned it off for testing and forgot about it.  You asked does it apply to companions and that reminded me that it should not apply to them because if they're following you they'll think you've ignored them every time you zone without speaking with them.

"Look, honey.  It's not that I'm ignoring you.  Okay?  It's just that we've got to go through Freeside to get to the 38 because we haven't figured out how to teleport there, and Freeside overdid the gated community thing."

lol  It also doesn't apply to NPCs who are sleeping.  So you're safe to let them sleep with no ill effect.

OK with this next copy, I'll be adding the beginnings of sexual orientation.  So until I can add some more dialogue placeholders, this will be sort of broken.  Approaches run based on orientation now, and same sex NPCs who are interested in the PC are now included, though the list is far from complete.  But neither male PCs nor Female NPCs have any dialogue placeholders.

I don't think this will break anything really, but just so you know when an NPC of the same sex approaches you and you get a dialogue zoom, and they walk away, this is why.

So far I've added most of the game indicated orientations, but have left many out.  If you find one that isn't what they should be, or is what they shouldn't be, let me know.  I'll update the OP soon.

EDIT: Update in the OP.  Added NPC activity dialogue.  Now the NPC will chat with you during dates/activities.  Only applies to NPCs capable of intimacy.  They will engage you in dialogue at about halfway through the activity.  Sometimes you can respond, other times not.  They will do this up to 3 times per game day.

EDIT EDIT: Expanded a little real quick.  Now they will comment on your looks, engage in general chit chat, (constantly?) talk about sex, ogle your tits/legs/ass.

Speaking of character orientation...

I could use some help determining which FO3 characters are gay or bi. 

Gay:  Ling (Through dialogue, it's suggested that Ling is gay.)

Bi:  Nova (Sleeps with you no matter what (FYI:  I put her as capable of intimacy since if you kill Moriarty, she stops being a prostitute)),  Moira (after all, she is into experimenting...on you), Clover

There's speculation that Carol and Greta are involved, but if you believe that, then no matter their preference, getting involved with either would be wrong.  That's hazy since it isn't explicitly stated.  t3589 and I are keeping known partnerships as off-limit NPCs.  I would be inclined to mark them as bi.  Thoughts? 

Who am I missing?

Philistine reporting in.

Haven't gone through a date with the new NPC dialogue.  However, I would say to nix the small talk after accepting an offer for casual sex with follow me (of course, during the deed should also probably be off limits).  It made for a very stop and go journey.  However, I think that throwing up some "%n is staring at your %n" messages would be perfect while you're on your way to your destination.

I think Bittercup is bi; she hit on me when my pc was a girl.

Not sure about Dave's (from the Kingdom of Dave) 'harem'

Wouldn't surprise me if he can't keep em' satisfied and they go

at it with each other. It would be acceptable to have at them if

your pc is a girl, In fact I think Dave would probably join in,

but be a hostile act if you are a guy and get caught. (but you

would gain karma for expanding the gene pool if one of them

got pregnant) ;)

Ling is definitely gay in my book...

Billy Creel is kind of creepy; I'm not going to say what I think he is :s

There's that slattern-esque blond woman... Susan? in TinyPeeny... sorry,

Tenpenny Towers and I get the feeling she would swing both ways.

Alistair Tenpenny likes to be tied up and whipped and Mr. Burke

has a hidden room where he likes to torture animals and burn himself

with cigarettes. Phew!! Those are my gut instincts :P 

Bi:  Nova (Sleeps with you no matter what (FYI:  I put her as capable of intimacy since if you kill Moriarty, she stops being a prostitute)),  Moira (after all, she is into experimenting...on you), Clover

There's speculation that Carol and Greta are involved, but if you believe that, then no matter their preference, getting involved with either would be wrong.  That's hazy since it isn't explicitly stated.  t3589 and I are keeping known partnerships as off-limit NPCs.  I would be inclined to mark them as bi.  Thoughts? 

Who am I missing?

Who am I missing?

Will Dr Madison Li be an option?  If so I'd make her straight, since it's implied through audio tapes that she and James got very "friendly" during Project Purity IIRC.

Hi T-Dawg,

Gave the newest version a spin. I Noticed some changes since last time I played.

Is the PC now unable to "initiate" contact? Because I get no options if I try to use it through SmallerTalk, I can only interact if I "catch some one's else" and they approach me, otherwise I have no options myself. I like the "hook" you added to approaching NCRCF. Are there any other "hooks" out there? 

Besides that, I don't have much else to report, because I didn't get many options this time round.

Good call about BIttercup being bi.   I think that I included Dr. Li, and she's definitely had/has an unrequited thing for James.

Susan is the comfort girl of Tenpenny.  She sleeps with a different guy every night (no really...it's in her schedule).  Granted, I've never played either game all the way through as a man, but she's a total dick to you.  Because of that, I left her off of the intimacy-capable NPCs list (i.e., everything with her would be without strings).

Tenpenny and Burke:   Nailed it.

Philistine reporting in.

Haven't gone through a date with the new NPC dialogue.  However, I would say to nix the small talk after accepting an offer for casual sex with follow me (of course, during the deed should also probably be off limits).  It made for a very stop and go journey.  However, I think that throwing up some "%n is staring at your %n" messages would be perfect while you're on your way to your destination.

Small talk should only fire when eating, drinking, or hanging out.  I'm not sure I understand what's happening for you.  When did it fire?  What dialogue if any did you go through before hand, etc.  With what actor? More details please?

Hi T-Dawg,

Gave the newest version a spin. I Noticed some changes since last time I played.

Is the PC now unable to "initiate" contact? Because I get no options if I try to use it through SmallerTalk, I can only interact if I "catch some one's else" and they approach me, otherwise I have no options myself. I like the "hook" you added to approaching NCRCF. Are there any other "hooks" out there? 

Besides that, I don't have much else to report, because I didn't get many options this time round.

You are only able to start relationships with named NPCs who are the opposite sex or bi/gay.  Generic NPCs will solicit and hit on you, but their relationship doesn't go beyond physical intimacy.  SmallerTalk is now only really needed to bring up dialogue to complete 'follow me' sequences.  Other than that, it isn't used. ie. Generic NPC hits on you, you say Ok follow me, move to location, use smaller talk to get to the continue dialogue.

There are several reasons for this change, but the main reason is that generic NPCs often lack complete sets of idle markers.  For example the GoodSprings settlers.  If you tried to date them, you would begin the date but couldn't take them anywhere, because they only have 2-3 idle markers for every package they run.  So you would take them inside and say let's eat, then they would go back outside to their yard to eat, to hang out, to drink, to anything they only have those markers to go to.

You couldn't take them anywhere and the entire relationship must be carried out on their lawn, because on their off hours, they don't sit around at any idle markers, they just go striaght to bed.  So they're either in the yard, or in bed.  The only way I could see around this was to start adding persistant refs, which I REALLY don't want to start down that rabbit hole.

Another thing to note is that even if the NPC is capable of intimacy, you may not get the dialogue.  Here's how approaches break down for the most part:

NPCs that are NOT in an intimate relationship with the PC:

*intimate does not necessarily mean committed, it just means they have a tracker.

- NPC detects you from afar and record a 'first impression from afar'.

- If PC leaves before they get close to the NPC, the NPC remembers your far impression.

- NPC detects you when you get close and decides what they currently think about you (based mostly on looks and reputation).

- If NPC decides they like what you're about, they either approach you, or wait for you to talk to them (dialogue displayed).

- If NPC decides they DO NOT like you, they become apathetic toward the PC (dialogue temporarily disabled).

- If PC leaves and comes back later, it starts all over again.

- Trick: You can sneak up on them and initiate dialogue 'before' they form an opinion of you and assure the dialogue is displayed.

- Trick: You can sneak past them, or stay far off to avoid ever risking an approach.

- Trick: Walk instead of run for bonus attention, if you really want to get noticed.

- Trick: Equipping the locket/ring/band reduces approaches by varying degrees (except to the one who gave them to you).

- Trick: Unequipping the locket/ring/band increases availability.

- Trick: Equip your weapon to reduce approaches, unequip to increase availability.

- Trick: Unholster your weapon to REALLY reduce approaches.

NPCs that ARE in an intimate relationship with the PC are based on the relationship tracker. They approach mainly if A. Their relationship stats tell them they have something to say. , B. They notice you. , and C. The PC is around.  When ABC are all met, intimate NPCs will approach you.  If not you can always talk to them and get dialogue. If you don't get dialogue, you'll know why because you will have pissed them off or upset them just before that, and it just means they're shitty right now and you should come back when they cool off.

And yes there are going to be plenty of little hooks here and there.  I swore to myself I wouldn't make this into a quest mod.  So to avoid breaking my promise, I've started calling them 'quest like' features. ie. It's not a quest really.  It's just quest-like. lol

Try soliciting NCR territory without a license and you'll find another one.  I have a slew of them planned.  All very tiny, but I'm a sucker for the little details.

EDIT: @nyaallich  I think I know what happened, thanks for the report.  Can you confirm that it was a generic NPC who asked you for casual sex in your case described above?

EDIT EDIT: @nyaallich I think I fixed it.  Update in the OP.  Small talk should only fire during activities, never during sex or sex follow.  I honestly don't know how that could have happened unless you 'ate' with them.  I'm still interested to know which actor it was?  Also, if you wear something more revealing they DO give 'look at' messages.

I'm thinking of making all the Great Khan females bi.  Probably because of some deep seeded biker chicks make out fantasy rolling around in my noodle someplace.  It just seems right.

I'm also debating making Legion soldiers bi.  Just because of something Cass says if you have the confirmed bachelor perk.  Any objections?  Thoughts?

I did some research on this only to confirm what I heard a long time ago (which I couldn't confirm).

The consensus (of various websites, FWIW) seems to be that male-male is okay provided that you get to top.

In this context, homosexuality is seen quite differently. The stigma was not attached to the homosexual act per se, but to the male that accepted the passive position. Where there was no stigma for the female to be the "slave" to the male in lovemaking (this being the natural order as it were…) it was for the male who willingly subjected himself to another male of greater power. To be sodomized was the height of passivity and for a free man symbolized a lack of self-respect.

However, sexual discipline was expected of soldiers, and you could get expelled for 1) cheating on your spouse, 2) doing other soldiers (because that would weaken them).  Camp "followers" often provided services, but they were dismissed in one account because discipline needed to be enforced in the soldiers.

This probably means nothing in FO since it's a new Legion.  While it could be NCR propaganda, I'm guessing that Obsidian was trying to throw a shout-out to history.  Ave!  True to being Caesar's bitch!

Use the info or don't.  ~~~~The More You Know!*

Not sure about the Legion soldiers being bi. Sounds like NCR propaganda to me. If you notice, all the slaves are female, and they're always referencing wanting to "try the player out" if she is a female in the vanilla game, but no such comments if the player is male. Again if you have female companions.

Right which is why I'm conflicted.  Cass does seem to suggest that male on male is 'the legion way', but I'm not sure if she's just trying to insult them or if it's some sort of rumor or commonly known fact.  Hard to tell.

Archived