Starfield Gameplay Reactions

My PC specs,

EVGA z690 Kingpin

i9 12900K

DDR 5 32 gig 6400 speed

MSI RTX 4090 Liquid Suprim X

Have not even bothered doing a FPS test, game is running smooth in 4K max settings.

Took a pause from the game to get snacks and watch Daniel Owen,

It would appear that just as I thought the game is basically more fully utilizing the CPU Cores.

As far as game impressions, well I am realizing I really like fully modded games along the lines of Skyrim SE and Fallout 4 perhaps.

Still playing the game and it is at least interesting.

Story wise, well I did not step into this game thinking it would be as good as say, Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk 2077.  Those had really good stories for gaming, perhaps even RDR2 had good story as a Western.  Space may not be my thing.

I read somewhere that the game starts to pick up 10 to 15 hours in, so I have a ways to go before I get there and well I have enough experience playing games to know about how that is so I will give it a go.

11 hours ago, Wandering_Mania said:

Yup, not everyone's, but a lot of people's; Specifically those who can face the facts that they bought a bad game, and don't feel the need to blindly defend it simply to justify dropping so much money on a turd. People like seen in this post:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1716740/discussions/0/3824173464656832461/?tscn=1693602832

But you go ahead and blindly defend it if you want. It's no skin off my teeth. I'm not one who got suckered into pre-ordering it.

So much endless whinging about a game you don't play... starting to get the whiff of trolls around here.

56 minutes ago, hitmanh said:

So much endless whinging about a game you don't play... starting to get the whiff of trolls around here.

Good lord... If you really think that calling me names, and accusing me of things, is going to help your case, your dead wrong. It's also not going to help your case if you try to 'lord the game over me', because there's no way in hell I'd be jealous of you getting scammed. So you keep doing what your doing; You keep blindly defending Starfield in an effort to justify the fact that you got ripped off. It matters not to me. Because in the end, I still got a $100 bill in my pocket, and all your left with is a credit card bill. So it's me who wins no matter what you delude yourself to believe.

14 hours ago, DDetrix said:

I upgraded my amd cpu got the game for free and I still feel disappointed. Small amount of it I actually played I was bored. Got to the character creation screen and hard exited. I'll wait for the cbbe to be released or let it die in my library. 

Damn, those faces. Specially the last one. It's soooo sad that I started laughing to compensated for.

Oh well, at least I can concede them that they do both horrible men and women, unlike the other western studios, which "coincidentally" only make women horrible.

It's not that F4 people were pretty, but somehow, they managed to make people in a space future setting look even worse than in an post-apocalyptic one. They upped their game.

Edited by vagonumero13
1 hour ago, Wandering_Mania said:

Good lord... If you really think that calling me names, and accusing me of things, is going to help your case, your dead wrong. It's also not going to help your case if you try to 'lord the game over me', because there's no way in hell I'd be jealous of you getting scammed. So you keep doing what your doing; You keep blindly defending Starfield in an effort to justify the fact that you got ripped off. It matters not to me. Because in the end, I still got a $100 bill in my pocket, and all your left with is a credit card bill. So it's me who wins no matter what you delude yourself to believe.

There is no case to make, I need not justify my purchases to anyone. If you think you've "won" something, congrats, you've "won" some internet points... thanks for demonstrating the actual delusion here.

Edited by hitmanh
34 minutes ago, hitmanh said:

There is no case to make, I need not justify my purchases to anyone. If you think you've "won" something, congrats, you've "won" some internet points... thanks for demonstrating the actual delusion here.

That's right, keep telling yourself that. Keep that delusion strong. But in the end, it still don't hurt me one bit.

AMD FX 8320 overclocked on 4.0Ghz

XFX AMD RX580 (Bottleneck pcie 2.0 instead of 3.0 ) 8GB

16GB Ram

Sandisk Ultra 3D NVMe SSD 1 TB

Runs Around 41-44FPS (in buildings sometimes high to 60 fps) in 1600x900 with Low settings and lock not bad.

That system is under minimum.?

Spoiler

Photo_2023-09-02-140900.png.840c518381f5f5832d31ce74711d694f.pngPhoto_2023-09-02-140717.png.a65c417a5ddc1b0a1f01bc0218b9fc58.pngPhoto_2023-09-02-140811.png.1564727d955bc9b261cb4a8befe848b8.png

Edited by Liriel-666
1 hour ago, vagonumero13 said:

Damn, those faces. Specially the last one. It's soooo sad that I started laughing to compensated for.

Oh well, at least I can concede them that they do both horrible men and women, unlike the other western studios, which "coincidentally" only make women horrible.

It's not that F4 people were pretty, but somehow, they managed to make people in a space future setting look even worse than in an post-apocalyptic one. They upped their game.

I'm sure the art team is doing their best.

I watched more Starfield gameplay just to give it a chance and it's just boring. Combat looks awful, looks like you are shooting toy guns. I saw some pirate characters trying to sound threatening but with those dialogues it's like a stereotypical 13 year old Call of Duty player telling you that he'll find you IRL because his friend is a hacker.

Just another Bethesda game that might be good/decent only with hundreds of mods installed. Shocking, I know.

2 hours ago, hitmanh said:

ignore button comes strongly advised, just go to profile and press it.

Why it looks like Minecraft?..

btw i hope they learnt something from this for TES 6.

Also how to properly land on a planet...not ala Starfield.

This is how exploration should be

I still think this is the best movie i ever seen..who don't think so it...lacks of knowledge

Edited by judahel

It is a bit more "do this and do that" than I am used to but I think once I get used to the mechanics of the game I will be fine.

What I am talking about is for flight in the ship, You have to pull power out of 4 different systems, then add that power to the grav drive to jump across space, yes every time. A bit Tedious.

A pic from the game, my PC "Andie" talking to Sarah.

The game was initially CTD, I had to go to AMD's website and get an Update for my Graphics Drivers, then all good. 

Starfield 9_2_2023 9_33_27 AM.png

Energie systems would be that easy to make with only 3 Different systems like in ED.

But to what i see of StarField on Playing it? Booring and doesnt Flash me.

And no Fligh in the Planet Atmosphere not even a Video of it. Thats so cheap and the space flight too.

Free Flight in space? Where is it? ever Planet, moon etc has 1 orbit position where only attacks happens.

Its more like a tiny Minigame when you get attack.

And when no Attack Happens it is a nav poit Selection.

Where is the Free Flight trough Space what Bethesda Tell Everyone?

And the best down how lazy Bethesda was is Earth! A empty desert to not build it something in the Engine What exist on earth.

I dont see what is good on the Game.

All other Space Games make it better

Edited by Liriel-666

I figure I'll post my reactions here. I'm about 23 hours into the game and love it with a few complaints.

Things I like or love:

• Quest writing. The quests so far feel like some of the best writing Bethesda has done. Miles better than Fallout 4.
  • The return of RPG mechanics. The skills are more interesting and sometimes get used in dialogues and such. I'm pretty sure my character may hit a wall as I've gone broad on my skills and not deep. I just want to be able to do a variety of stuff.  I've quite enjoyed how the traits play into the game. One of mine is Kid Stuff and I've really enjoyed my parents and my interactions with them. They also keep giving me cool stuff! My favorite pistol was given to me by my in-game father!
  • Designing and building ships. See the longer note below though. It's not an endgame activity like Todd said other than you need to get deep into the skill trees for some of the better ship add-ons. 
  • The characters. So far I've enjoyed all of the characters I've met both companions and non-companions. This sort of ties into the quest writing note above but I think it applies in general. All of the characters feel unique and so far the voice acting is good across the board. I haven't heard that one guy who did like every voice in Oblivion!
  • The lighting system. It is definitely an advance over past games. The big caveat to this is sometimes it washes things out a bit and I think it could use some adjustments, especially in interiors.
  • The combat is a vast improvement over Skyrim and Fallout 4. Guns especially feel better. Melee doesn't feel a ton better to me but I also haven't really done much of it as I feel silly doing melee stuff in a setting with guns most of the time.
  • The sheer amount of stuff to do. I've only been to maybe 5 or 6 systems in spite of how much time I've played the game. That's because I keep finding stuff to do and getting sidetracked in good old Bethesda fashion. New Atlantis alone had a ton of content for me to explore. I still haven't even been to the Freestar Collective or the Crimson Fleet but I do have quests that will send me to both areas. Each planet I land on I usually find a few POIs to go check out just because I'm curious about them.
  • Space combat is fun if shallower than a dedicated space sim like Elite Dangerous. I still have yet to board an enemy ship except one time in a quest. This is because they usually fight me in groups and even if I take their engines out I'm usually busy with others and they're still shooting at me so it's smarter to blow them up. Usually when I get to the last ship the fight has gone on long enough I just need to blow them up so I take less damage. That said, I just upgraded my shields massively so this may change going forward.
  • I like a lot of the QoL stuff like having a toggle to hide your armor in outposts. As someone who plays in third person so I can see my character, I love that since it lets me walk around in a more civilian looking outfit when I'm in a town or whatever.
  • Far less buggy than my experience with prior Bethesda games. I've heard of people encountering big bugs but so far the closest I've had to a bug is NPCs sometimes not turning to face me if I come up behind them and start a dialogue. No quest issues. No stuck animations. 

Things I don't like or have mixed opinions on (this list seems longer than the above but most of these, for me personally, are nitpicks. Also things like "I like the quest writing" covers a ton of ground!):

• There are a ton of loading screens. Luckily they are super fast most of the time.  It's kind of odd how many there are. I know a lot of people are complaining it's because the engine is old or whatever. I have a sneaking suspicion it is because of the Series S and sacrifices that had to be made to play on that weak console.
  • My character looks amazing in the character creator. And uhhh...less so in-game. It's not the usual "the lighting in the character creator is different" issue I usually experience. There's a big downgrade in skin textures from character creation to actually playing. Likewise, the hairs are mostly bleh. Both of these issues will probably be fixed fairly quickly by mods to be honest. 
  • Loot is...odd. You pretty quickly figure out that this isn't Fallout 4. All that junk lying around? Ignore it. It's not worth hauling it back to a city to sell it. On top of that, inventory space is an issue for me as I'm carrying around a ton of aid items and they're filling my packs. I really need to find a place to drop some of this stuff off. I did just recently upgrade my cargo holds but I'm using that mostly to store resources for crafting at the moment.
  • So far there isn't a ton of weapon and armor variety. About a half dozen of each type. A half dozen pistols, a half dozen rifles, etc. I suspect that I'll see more variety as I go to different factions and start fighting higher level enemies. 
  • Some of the systems are super complex and could use a tutorial. See my notes below about this.
  • Speaking of, I haven't figured out a way to know what some of the traits on items do. For example, I just found two new types of boost packs. One is called balanced. The other is called something like "skip jump". What do these do compared to the "basic boostpack"? I don't know. I'll need to google and hope for the best. On PC you might be able to mouse over stuff like this and see a tooltip but I'm playing my first time on console so I can play it on my big 4k TV.
  • Finally, skin textures are a mixed bag and most hair textures are bad. It's weird because I know they can do better but I suspect things were toned down, again because of the Series S. Most characters look quite good other than their hair. That's what weirds me out when I see videos like the one earlier in the thread. I haven't seen characters that look that bad, it's just in some lighting some of the skin textures look a bit flat. I almost think they've intentionally sabotaged their own graphics or something or are intentionally hunting background characters who don't look as good or something.
  • It's definitely not as open as past Bethesda games and some of the landscapes are quite boring to look at. I've yet to find a forest or high mountains but I've also only gone to maybe half a dozen planets so far as I mentioned.  That said, there is a lot to explore on each planet so don't listen to people who say there aren't. Each area I've landed in has a ton of POIs in it though you do have to explore to see them pop up on your watch or compass or whatever you'd like to call it. I also have yet to find a repeated indoor environment so people who say they've explored the same building more than once are probably lying so they can complain. Last night, for example, I wandered around an abandoned cryo facility I just randomly found while doing a quest and it was really neat, and felt like a mini-dungeon with a lot of nooks and crannies to explore and a couple of pieces of good loot. Which reminds me, I got a lead on an abandoned outpost with "amazing treasure" I should follow up on eventually.
  • Finally, what the hell is up with the maps? On a planet they're forgivable. They show the POIs you've found and stuff. But in the city? Why is there not a map with things like "store X" and such clearly marked with an actual map. I think the maps on planets are simplistic because of the procedural generation, but there is no reason for that to be true in a city. 

I figured I'd go into more detail with my complaints about more complex systems. For example, I totally redesigned my starter ship but it took me a while to figure out how to add a new weapon to a group so that the build would be legal. Likewise, it actually took me a while to figure out how to buy new parts. It's simple but there's no tutorial about it. Still, my redesigned Frontier looks neat and I quite like it. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy the hell out of building ships.

I also built an outpost and love the new overhead view and how you put down "modules" instead of building wall by wall. It is another part of the game that could use a tutorial however as it took me a while to figure out that you have to build a "character station" to assign a companion to an outpost. It also took me a while to figure out how to have my extractor put stuff in a storage bin. I do like how right off the bat you can drop extractors and stuff so the outpost grabs resources for you. 

An WHo on Bethesda make This Bullshit?

Spoiler

capture_001_02092023_171457.jpg.08439ce934bd08fc331fb8497bee6205.jpg

capture_002_02092023_171240.jpg.fcd886f4b2b608553750ce9baaa1f20c.jpg

This is BULLSHIT!!

The Rings of Saturn and Jupiter are on the Same Level as the Moons and not different!

Even the Planet is Wrong!

Who on the Heck is for this Astronomic BullShit responsible?

Edited by Liriel-666

So Starfield is a Game not Reality.

Dripstone Cave on Luna

Alpha Centaury System with only 1 Sun instead of 3 Suns and a Gas Giant Planet in System.

I guess more to come.

At least it is impossible to land on Jupiter.

By now i badly miss a on planet transportation vehicle like Fallout 4 Vertibird.

Lets be a bit curious on the dlcs and the mods to come.

Vor 5 Minuten sagte Ijakor2:

Starfield ist also ein Spiel, keine Realität.

Tropfsteinhöhle auf Luna

Alpha Centaury-System mit nur 1 Sonne statt 3 Sonnen und einem Gasriesenplaneten im System.

Ich schätze, es wird noch mehr kommen.

Zumindest ist es unmöglich, auf Jupiter zu landen.

Mittlerweile vermisse ich ein Transportfahrzeug auf dem Planeten wie Fallout 4 Vertibird sehr.

Seien wir ein bisschen gespannt auf die kommenden DLCs und Mods.

Aha - a game that is supposed to be a fantastic space adventure?

And it is advertised that NASA - the space agency of the USA - has collaborated.

So the space dream implemented in the game should not be brain-sick bullshit - but should stick to the OBSERVED scientific facts, especially with the domestic solar system!

Honestly ... I wouldn't have been surprised - if the earth had been depicted as a rectangular disc ... it's all just a game

*sarcasm

ok some planet in sol are in the correct orbital inclination other in the Wrong.

And the Moon are all in the wrong Obrital Inclination.

But Uranus with it Moons is correct.

The Sol System is half correct but half Wrong.

Like a Idiot make it? Its like a Pre School Kid make it

Edited by Liriel-666