Starfield Gameplay Reactions

8 hours ago, Wandering_Mania said:

Good lord... If you really think that calling me names, and accusing me of things, is going to help your case, your dead wrong. It's also not going to help your case if you try to 'lord the game over me', because there's no way in hell I'd be jealous of you getting scammed. So you keep doing what your doing; You keep blindly defending Starfield in an effort to justify the fact that you got ripped off. It matters not to me. Because in the end, I still got a $100 bill in my pocket, and all your left with is a credit card bill. So it's me who wins no matter what you delude yourself to believe.

Never mind them. You can't have rational conversation with people who have paid for the overpriced "premium early access" edition, just to become a BGS guinea pig. Let them keep bickering over negative reactions. "How dare you spoil my fun!?" was the exact same reaction of many people here against the criticism, when Fallout 76 was released.

54 minutes ago, bjornk said:

Never mind them. You can't have rational conversation with people who have paid for the overpriced "premium early access" edition, just to become a BGS guinea pig. Let them keep bickering over negative reactions. "How dare you spoil my fun!?" was the exact same reaction of many people here against the criticism, when Fallout 76 was released.

Well, looking at the title of The ArchCast that's coming up in about an hour, Starfield may have undersold by a lot, and/or may have had more 'pre-order cancellations' than intended. So yeah, they can keep deluding theyselves all they want, it changes nothing. Mod support may save the game, but it becomes a lot more difficult when very few people actually have the game in the first place.

I think the game is a solid 7/10 but I only have 15 hours in so it may pick up more if what others say is accurate for me. Like any Bethesda game it will be made much more playable by modders but I think it is admittedly a weaker start than Skyrim or FO4, but I am not a sci-fi fan by nature so YMMV. Pre purchase was worth it for me, as I like to support game studios and games I will play for 100+ hours. This game is greatly overshadowed by BG3 in terms of characters and stories IMO (I have 250 hours in BG3, and see many more possible exploring more paths), but there is a lot of interesting room for mods with all the open space in this game. The companions, mainly Sarah Morgan are frustrating for me. Anyone know if there is a more morally neutral companion? (Although Sarah just yelled at me for sparing a thief... so she's all over the map)

Don't know if it's true or not, but people say that the game may procedurally recreate planets you've already visited, including the one where your "base" is. Probably won't delete the structures you've built, but you might return to a completely different place if you visit the same planet after a while, a tree might have grown in your bedroom. LOL.

43 minutes ago, dlombu said:

I haven't used her much but maybe Lin? You can also recruit a bunch of people in the Neon nighclub place.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.

40 minutes ago, bjornk said:

Don't know if it's true or not, but people say that the game may procedurally recreate planets you've already visited, including the one where your "base" is. Probably won't delete the structures you've built, but you might return to a completely different place if you visit the same planet after a while, a tree might have grown in your bedroom. LOL.

Sounds funny, haven't made any bases yet. I'll build one on a well treed planet and see, I like seeing the wonky bugs before an unofficial patch team fixes everything for Bethesda.

On 9/1/2023 at 5:07 AM, Wandering_Mania said:

I was watching The ArchCast and Starfield looked like complete dog shit. The 'big exploreable maps' have no point to explore them, because there is nothing to find. While to actually see anything you gotta 'Fast travel' spam. No wonder BGS said it must be installed on an SSD, with the amount of load screens they packed in that game, it looks more like a 'Load screen simulator'.

Boy am I glad I didn't drop a bill ($100USD) on it. I mean where's the game!? It's 95% load screen!

And that's my reaction to it.

Well yeah...Im glad you didnt drop $100 on this game too. If you had, you would have known by now that much of the criticism of the game you have offered over 3 pages is unfounded and your purpose for existing would be null and void.

Is the game flawless? No

Is the game perfect? No

Does the game cater to your wants and desires? No

But...

Is the game fun? Yes

Can I see myself playing this for hundreds of hours? Yes

Does the game offer outstanding mod potential? Oh hell yes

Unlike you, I did drop $100 on the game. Unlike you, I need not have some paid for schtick tell me what my impressions of the game should be. It is not perfect, but it is fun and like Skyrim and Fallout 4 before it they will be played long after you have divested yourself of 10 other games. Like all Bethesda games, its the modding community that truly make them great and I for one cant wait to see where this goes.

Anyway, cool story bro.

Goes back to playing Starfield.

14 minutes ago, Olmech said:

Nun ja ... Ich bin froh, dass Sie bei diesem Spiel nicht auch 100 $ verloren haben. Wenn ja, wüssten Sie inzwischen, dass ein Großteil der Kritik an dem Spiel, die Sie auf drei Seiten geäußert haben, unbegründet ist und Ihr Existenzzweck null und nichtig wäre.

Ist das Spiel fehlerfrei? NEIN

Ist das Spiel perfekt? NEIN

Entspricht das Spiel Ihren Wünschen und Vorstellungen? NEIN

Aber...

Macht das Spiel Spaß? Ja

Kann ich mir vorstellen, das Hunderte von Stunden lang zu spielen? Ja

Bietet das Spiel herausragendes Mod-Potenzial? Oh verdammt, ja

Im Gegensatz zu Ihnen habe ich 100 $ für das Spiel ausgegeben. Im Gegensatz zu Ihnen brauche ich keine bezahlten Schticks, um mir zu sagen, welche Eindrücke ich von dem Spiel haben soll. Es ist nicht perfekt, aber es macht Spaß und wird, wie Skyrim und Fallout 4 zuvor, noch lange gespielt, nachdem man sich von 10 anderen Spielen getrennt hat. Wie bei allen Bethesda-Spielen ist es die Modding-Community, die sie wirklich großartig macht, und ich kann es kaum erwarten, zu sehen, wohin das führt.

Wie auch immer, coole Geschichte, Bruder.

Spielt wieder Starfield.

Well - I didn't spend 100 Euros or US Dollars ... and I can still play the game - a friend (who is visiting us for 2 days) has lent us his version these days and we are currently testing it extensively:

Is the game fun? -> a game in this early phase is a pain to play - by fun I mean something completely different.

Can I imagine - playing the game for hundreds of hours later? Maybe - if I get it for free and in the meantime 2 years have passed and there are enough mods ... to make it a game.

Mod potential? Yes - maybe - if there are the right tools for all the wonderfully crazy ideas that are collected here in the forum.

When they will be available is not yet foreseeable and whether it will be possible to create something similar to Skyrim ... may be doubted.

Will I "warm up" to this game?

No - certainly not in this state - but perhaps my expectations of a AAA game are far too high ... I should rather send the purchase price straight to the manufacturer and do without sending their product.

---

The advertised claim of the game and the experienced reality ... are further apart than ever before in a game from this manufacturer - this becomes clearer and clearer with every hour that we play here.

The game is not that bad, but also still janky as hell, no matter what Todd said.

Btw did he mention anything about the mod tools?

Also does anyone know how to improve the frame rate? The game right now badly optimized, my fps crashes down at open spaces (with everything on low) lol

image.png.0b249bdd3920077f1173dc4702e7ecdd.png

34 minutes ago, Kargrin said:

The game is not that bad, but also still janky as hell, no matter what Todd said.

Also does anyone know how to improve the frame rate? The game right now badly optimized, my fps crashes down at open spaces (with everything on low) lol

Reveal hidden contents

You know, I havent even checked my frame rate. I have Starfield on my old computer which is a Ryzen 7, GTX 1080ti FTW3 machine with 32gb of RAM. Reason for doing this is daughters computer wouldnt run the game, so I wanted to make sure this one would before giving it to her. I think all my settings are on medium and its buttery smooth. Looks and plays great. Ill go check fps and see what its doing.

46 minutes ago, Kargrin said:

Reveal hidden contents

getting 53-60fps

1 hour ago, Miauzi said:

Well - I didn't spend 100 Euros or US Dollars ... and I can still play the game - a friend (who is visiting us for 2 days) has lent us his version these days and we are currently testing it extensively:

Is the game fun? -> a game in this early phase is a pain to play - by fun I mean something completely different.

Can I imagine - playing the game for hundreds of hours later? Maybe - if I get it for free and in the meantime 2 years have passed and there are enough mods ... to make it a game.

Mod potential? Yes - maybe - if there are the right tools for all the wonderfully crazy ideas that are collected here in the forum.

When they will be available is not yet foreseeable and whether it will be possible to create something similar to Skyrim ... may be doubted.

Will I "warm up" to this game?

No - certainly not in this state - but perhaps my expectations of a AAA game are far too high ... I should rather send the purchase price straight to the manufacturer and do without sending their product.

---

The advertised claim of the game and the experienced reality ... are further apart than ever before in a game from this manufacturer - this becomes clearer and clearer with every hour that we play here.

Thats fair enough. Probably will take 2yrs for mods to really become prolific.

I didnt buy Fallout 76 because it was multiplayer and couldnt really be modded. I run hundreds of mods in Fallout 4. Probably fair to say its more Olmech 4 than Fallout 4 anymore.

But for these people that chime in with an opinion based on he said / she said this or that...its very unintelligent. Do you not go to a restaurant because two out of ten said the seasoning was terrible? Do you really avoid a movie because it only had seven stars? Its pretty childish and petty. They must live in bubbles.

1 hour ago, Olmech said:

Well yeah...Im glad you didnt drop $100 on this game too. If you had, you would have known by now that much of the criticism of the game you have offered over 3 pages is unfounded and your purpose for existing would be null and void.

Is the game flawless? No

Is the game perfect? No

Does the game cater to your wants and desires? No

But...

Is the game fun? Yes

Can I see myself playing this for hundreds of hours? Yes

As it was said in tonight's ArchCast:

"Bethesda games are held up by their 'big open worlds'. You could explore, and find this little thing, or that little thing; But there is that open world to explore. Mass Effect had the same 'go here do this' as Starfield; But what made Mass Effect fun was the character building. And Starfield is like Mass Effect, just without it's strengths, and withour the open world that Bethesda is good at."

I may be off on a word or two in that quote, but it is absolutely correct. Starfield has nothing but bad writing, and 'NPCs' for both 'main characters', and 'random side characters'. None look special, none are particularly interesting, and when the entire backbone of the game relies so heavily on that, it all falls flat.

And if you personally find it fun, that's your opinion; But it's not everyone's. And your opinion most certainly dos not 'overrule' anyone's, including mine.

1 hour ago, Olmech said:

Unlike you, I need not have some paid for schtick tell me what my impressions of the game should be.

So because I watched 5 hours of a game stream, and formed my own opinion about it; That makes me a "paid schtick"? Funny. Because I don't feel any more wealthy. Let me check my wallet... Nope, not a cent wealthier.

Edited by Wandering_Mania

NOBODY buys a Bethesda game for a "one and done" playthrough. There's countless others for that.

They get put away for a while (which I often do for RL considerations), but I

ALWAYS circle back to each and every one of them at some point. I preordered

the game NOT for what it IS, but for what it has the potential TO BE. Because at

the end of the day, these issues WILL get hammered out. And I'm patient ?

And I LOVE stuff that's centralized around space and science ?

Just now, Wandering_Mania said:

As it was said in tonight's ArchCast:

"Bethesda games are held up by their 'big open worlds'. You could explore, and find this little this or that little thing; But there is that open world to explore. Mass Effect had the same 'go here do this' as Starfield; But what made Mass Effect fun was the character building. And Starfield is like Mass Effect, just without it's strengths, and withour the open world that Bethesda is good at."

I may be off on a word or two in that quote, but it is absolutely correct. Starfield has nothing but bad writing, and 'NPCs' for both 'main characters', and 'random side characters'. None look special, none are particularly interesting, and when the entire backbone of the game relies so heavily on that, it all falls flat.

And if you personally find it fun, that's your opinion; But it's not everyone's. And your opinion most certainly dos not 'overrule' anyone's, including mine.

If you have not played the game, you cannot have an opinion. You may like a certain brand of car because you own that car. you know its subtle nuances and are happy with it. Now using your logic, you may read a couple of bad reviews on your car 6 months after you have been happy with it saying its a bomb. Oh well, you better get rid of it! Its nonsensical as your Starfield argument. You do not know. You were told.

4 minutes ago, Wandering_Mania said:

So because I watched 5 hours of a game stream, and formed my own opinion about it; That makes me a "paid schtick"? Funny. Because I don't feel any more wealthy. Let me check my wallet... Nope, not a cent wealthier.

You formed your opinion based on someone elses playthrough. Oh thats brilliant....brilliant I tell you.

7 minutes ago, Trykz said:

NOBODY buys a Bethesda game for a "one and done" playthrough. There's countless others for that.

They get put away for a while (which I often do for RL considerations), but I

ALWAYS circle back to each and every one of them at some point. I preordered

the game NOT for what it IS, but for what it has the potential TO BE. Because at

the end of the day, these issues WILL get hammered out. And I'm patient ?

And I LOVE stuff that's centralized around space and science ?

Hell yeah...

Amen to that.

3 minutes ago, bjornk said:

This stupid sentence alone discredits everything you wrote, cause it literally says that you shelled out 100 bucks for a game you had no opinion of.

What? I bought the game. I like the game. I can form an opinion of the game from real world experience. You still read tea leaves.

If $100 breaks you people up so much, maybe you should concentrate harder on the game of life lol.

Edited by Olmech
Vor 12 Minuten sagte Trykz:

NIEMAND kauft ein Bethesda-Spiel, um es einmal durchzuspielen. Dafür gibt es unzählige andere.

Sie werden für eine Weile weggeräumt (was ich oft aus RL-Überlegungen tue), aber ich

Kehren Sie IMMER irgendwann zu jedem einzelnen von ihnen zurück. Ich habe vorbestellt

das Spiel NICHT für das, was es IST, sondern für das, was es sein kann. Denn um

Am Ende des Tages werden diese Probleme gelöst werden. Und ich bin geduldig ?

Und ich LIEBE Dinge, bei denen es um Weltraum und Wissenschaft geht ?

Even with mods, it will never be the space game I want it to be - that already fails because of the concept and the "engine" behind it.

Space - that means "experiencing" vastness - that means astronomy - this includes, for example, stars or the ring disc of a gas giant like Saturn.

Space - that means "travelling" through this vastness - yes certainly with FTL ... but that also goes other than nav-points + loading screen.

Space - yes, this also includes planets - on which you can land - but whoever comes from orbit makes a -> LANDING APPROACH ... if there is an atmosphere there are also fireworks - otherwise you can forget the whole space ship stuff!!!

Space ... wasn't there something about exploring? - yes, you explore the surface of a planet - on foot ... fat spaceship - but NO ground transportation like a buggy or at least an all-terrain two-wheeler.

(because this "goofy" engine just can't get wheels on it).

all that I already have in Elite today .... and painfully miss - I will never get with despite all possible mods.

yes of course there are things here - that I don't have in Elite at the moment and may never get - but that weighs less heavily than in the opposite direction

I am clearly more of a space pilot than a "ground rummager" ... to use the language of the "belters" aka spacers.

Is this about science?

No - pretty much everything I have learned and experienced about astronomy and science over the last 50 years hurts me here .... My father was an astronomy teacher - I still have one of the telescopes he used in class.

Almost 50 years ago, I stood in front of the Vostok-1 - the capsule with which Yuri Gagarin was the first man to fly into space and orbit the earth - in a space exhibition.

8 minutes ago, Olmech said:

What? I bought the game. I like the game. I can form an opinion of the game from real world experience. You still read tea leaves.

If $100 breaks you people up so much, maybe you should concentrate harder on the game of life lol.

According to your argument, one could not have an opinion of a game unless they had already played it. Going by the same argument, we can easily deduce that you bought a game that you had no opinion of, because you could have not played it before you bought it. So why should anyone care about what someone like you says or thinks, who blindly shells out money for games without having any opinion of them first?

Vor 19 Minuten sagte Olmech:

Was? Ich habe das Spiel gekauft. Ich mag das Spiel. Ich kann mir aus realer Erfahrung eine Meinung über das Spiel bilden. Du liest immer noch Teeblätter.

Wenn euch 100 $ so sehr aus der Fassung bringen, solltet ihr euch vielleicht stärker auf das Spiel des Lebens konzentrieren, lol.

Sorry - you have manoeuvred yourself into an argumentative trap.

You also bought the game - before you played it!

My wife and I are probably the only ones here - who play it without having bought it ... because we were lucky enough - that a long-time friend is currently visiting us - who also bought it - without having played it before.

All those who bought it NOW - had nowhere in the world the possibility to play it BEFORE they bought it.

So they all have to rely on 3rd person information to begin with - usually the advertising promises of a Todd H. or the sparse publications of games magazines or YouTubers - all of whom have gagging contracts!

Well - the games industry plays its game of hide and seek with us customers ... and we are learning too - how we customers get information.

And part of those sources are people who spend 100 US dollars ... to play it before it goes on sale AND to be able to report about it INDEPENDENTLY!

And another part of these sources are our own experiences of past games from this manufacturer ... its incredible promises and announcements ... and what we then saw on the PC or the console - a clear discrepancy.

The argument that you have to do everything yourself to have the right to be the only one to judge is -> BULLSHIT

?

59 minutes ago, Olmech said:

You formed your opinion based on someone elses playthrough. Oh thats brilliant....brilliant I tell you.

49 minutes ago, Olmech said:

And I watched actual gameplay on a livestream. So where's the difference? Because I wasn't in direct control of the character it somehow negates my formed opinion?

Is that what your saying?

Because if it is, that is the most illogical argument, in the long sad history of illogical arguments.

22 minutes ago, Miauzi said:

Sorry - you have manoeuvred yourself into an argumentative trap.

Should give you an idea about the intellectual capacity of these people. How can anyone come up with such a dumb argument is beyond me. If one has to have played the game in order to form an opinion of it, then who the fuck are game reviews and scores for, what's their purpose?