[Guide] How to download mods off this site

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Honestly the download feature on here is great. 

What this thread is completely missing though is that a lot, if not most, mods are scattered throughout random modding threads, either be it through external links or otherwise,  they *do not* show up in the "download" section whatsoever however...

It would be great if there could be an auto collection feature that adds those to download section and make them searchable   However,  this would probably be rather messy because then typically context and  information what the mod even is would be missing.

But its kinda funny to see people saying "just use the download button" when a whole ton of often the best mods dont even show up there. 

11 minutes ago, XOBOXOXBOX said:

But its kinda funny to see people saying "just use the download button" when a whole ton of often the best mods dont even show up there. 

There is a difference between 'download section' and 'download button'.

I don't know which game section you are getting your ideas from but they don't really reflect the Skyrim section which is the largest and the one the site is more or less built around.

31 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Which was kind of my point yes.

Its easy to find stuff in the download section,  its not easy at all to find things in big threads,  and which as I said do not necessarily show up in the download section. 

So saying just use the download button doesn't even really make sense when *finding* the mods is the actual problem in the first place   As said especially a problem in huge mega threads (for example Tomb Raider games etc)

And contrary the download section is a joy to look through,  you can easily find new or old mods, only problem not all of them will show up there (hence right back to the problem of even finding the mods or "download button" in the first place) 

Im not actually sure what you're trying to say , is it different for Skyrim? I kinda doubt it,  but even if it is how is that related to what I said?

EDIT: Basically a solution to this would be to automatically add any mods (links or otherwise) to the download section of any given game... How feasible this is I dont know,  but it would pretty much fix these problems...

Edited by XOBOXOXBOX

You said:

1 hour ago, XOBOXOXBOX said:

Which reads that mods do not show up in the download button.

I said:

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

Which points out that there is a difference between the download section and the download button.

You now say:

41 minutes ago, XOBOXOXBOX said:

Which was kind of my point yes.

It may well have been your point but it is not what you wrote.

The main thrust of your post is about finding mods rather than the downloading of them which is the subject of the thread and the reason that the responses feature the phrase 'download button'.

Mods posted in threads are not really 'hosted' on the site and are generally the result of mod users rather than the mod authors (at least in the threads I use).

Edited by Grey Cloud

The main thrust of your post is about finding mods rather than the downloading of them which is the subject of the thread and the reason that the responses feature the phrase 'download button'.

Mods posted in threads are not really 'hosted' on the site and are generally the result of mod users rather than the mod authors (at least in the threads I use).

Thats the thing they are some that are hosted on site, but dont have the "view file" button,  rather are just attachments to the post I suppose and therfore dont show up in the download section (which not all games seem to have anyway)  and technically don't even have a dedicated download button,  certainly not a green one. (view file is actually gray for me)

Which yes, is really kind of my point, this thread is making something out to be super easy, when the thing may not even exist or is neither easy to find lol...

I know for example DOA6 has a download section,  and its great, doesn't mean there is an easy way to find *all* mods easily,  you'd have to go through every single thread, which there are probably thousands.  Its not really the sites fault because it offers an option to upload stuff so it can be found easily, which isn't what's happening though most of the time in my experience. 

Tomb Raider 2013 doesn't even have a download section and neither a green download button (unless i missed it?) And there are hundreds similar threads / games  like that.

So yes, thats my point, I still don't really understand yours? 

Mods posted in threads are not really 'hosted' on the site and are generally the result of mod users rather than the mod authors (at least in the threads I use)

not the case at all in most threads I visit... 

So yes my point is really discoverability and that a download button doesn't help with that and saying just use the download button is therefore kind of pointless. 

I get this thread was initially made to point out a feature, which is great,  most of the replies were completely missing the mark, even when they may not have been entirely serious (i just think they didn't understand the underlying issue however tbh)

Edited by XOBOXOXBOX
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bjd2022 said:

For exemple this one :

You have to join that club to have access to download the mod from what it looks. Maybe they'll let you in their cool kids club so you download it.

• 5 months later...
On 7/10/2013 at 4:54 PM, Ark of Truth said:

OK this is a tutorial on how to download mods from this site using the following methods.

1. Downloading from the site downloads manager
  2. Downloading a mod from a thread in a downloads subforum.

Site Download Subforums

Threads which have downloads in them can be found in the Downloads subsection of the forums, Downloads - Oblivion Adult & Sex Mods is one example.

post-18545-0-10243200-1373471823_thumb.jpg

To download the files from these threads just click on the download links, which should be marked.

Inside there will be threads which contain mods for download. You can also find some more mods to download in the site's download area located in the top right of the screen.

Site Download Area

post-18545-0-26581300-1373471818_thumb.jpg

When you access this area you will be greeted with the following screen. On the left you will have the categories list, this is for what game you want to download mods for. In the centre of the screen you will see a preview of new mods which can be search through using the arrows, above that will be featured downloads and below it will be the highest ratedOn the right will be the top downloads section. Below the Highest rated is the Most Watched downloads which can't be seen in the screenshot.

post-18545-0-48107400-1373471813_thumb.jpg

Select the game you want from the categories list, we are going to use Skyrim in this case. The screen will now change and the follow will be displayed. The mods can be broken down into categories using the new list on the left and all the mods for that section will be displayed in the centre of the screen.

post-18545-0-04804400-1373471810_thumb.jpg

We are going to use the categories list to get the screen to only display mods in the "Regular Mods" section. So we click it in the left box. Now we need to find a mod. I have scrolled down the screen and selected the mod Amame Playable Character 0.1

post-18545-0-11315700-1373471837_thumb.jpg

Now you will be greeted with the following screen. BEFORE you even touch that download button! Make sure that you go down the page and make sure that you have the requirements for the mod.

post-18545-0-27830700-1373471833_thumb.jpg

post-18545-0-19458500-1373471830_thumb.jpg

After you have made sure you have the requirements you can hit the download button. If you don't have the requirements you can click on the links under the requirements section and you will be taken to the place you can download them from.

post-18545-0-07300800-1373471827_thumb.jpg

Installing mods

No pictures for this section.

To install a mod simply unpack it to a temporary location. Most mods have a readme which tells you how to install the mod. READ THE THING AND FOLLOW IT FROM WORD TO WORD. Nothing rubs a modder the wrong way then someone being unable to read the readme or refusing to read it.

Personally I find it easier to copy and paste the mods directly in the area they need to be without using mod managers.

Mod managers which can be used for games are:

Oblivion Mod Manager: Oblivion

Fallout Mod Manager: Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas

For Skyrim it most likely best to use the drag and drop method.

In order to figure out how to install a mod using a mod manager follow the instructions in that mods readme or the instructions which came with the mod manager.

cheers

• 4 months later...

Thats the kind of tuto that, at first, we think "why would someone need a tuto about how to download?", but the real bonus of that thread is to have it as a reference to point users to it, when needed. (sometime a user may not know how to download, not because he's dumb, but because of the language difference)

Good job doing it!  :)✌️