Notice: summer cleaning

It's gotten pretty messy in here. This summer some of us purples will be moving some topics in the Skyrim sections to where they really belong. That's just to help people find what they're looking for more easily. It's maintenance, not punishment. Skyrim is singled out due to the amount of traffic.

We will do this steadily and methodically, so there's no need to report individual threads, at the moment. Once we're done with a section, we will appreciate other members helping to keep an eye on it though.

Threads offering things up for download will go under the "downloads" subsections if they're not there already; that includes some WIPs that already have things for download. Questions about modding, bugs, crashes etc will go under "technical support". Please keep that in mind when you create a new thread.

Also, we strongly advise people who upload new files to use the download functionality of the site, the tab in the top right corner of your screen between "forums" and "blogs" that says "downloads". Any future upgrades to the site will favor that side of things. Creating a page there will automatically create a topic in the relevant download subsection of the forum. Even if you host your mod on an external download site, you can still make a download page and point to your mod's location by using the "link to file" option.

Apologies for any inconvenience you get out of this. If you suddenly lose track of a thread, ask yourself where it would logically be. We probably won't keep lists or notify people, in order to be able to work efficiently. Thanks for understanding.

Took you guys long enough :P

If you talk to Greg he might still have the list I gave him from like two months ago with stuff that needed to be moved or deleted as it was just a blank thread with only 1 word in it. 70 threads were in that list when I gave it to him.

At the moment, the plan is just to take a section and move through it from beginning to end, then move on to the next. Intel that's a few months old is probably not the best starting point for a first pass; there's been new stuff misplaced in the mean time. All kidding aside we do appreciate any input from other members when it comes to catching what we missed once we say we're done with a section, and keeping an eye out for new stuff that's misplaced once we've moved on. Helping us keep it tidy, once it is, is where I see other members play an important part in this adventure.

Until then, we'll just need a bit of time and space; this isn't gonna be done in a day. :s

If I might be so bold as to make a suggestion. Could you guys perhaps add a subforum for requests? It's just that with so many "please make this armor or port this" threads, sometimes it's hard to follow the threads that are proposing new ideas.

If I might be so bold as to make a suggestion. Could you guys perhaps add a subforum for requests? It's just that with so many "please make this armor or port this" threads, sometimes it's hard to follow the threads that are proposing new ideas.

That's something only Ashal can do.

At the moment, the plan is just to take a section and move through it from beginning to end, then move on to the next. Intel that's a few months old is probably not the best starting point for a first pass; there's been new stuff misplaced in the mean time. All kidding aside we do appreciate any input from other members when it comes to catching what we missed once we say we're done with a section, and keeping an eye out for new stuff that's misplaced once we've moved on. Helping us keep it tidy, once it is, is where I see other members play an important part in this adventure.

Until then, we'll just need a bit of time and space; this isn't gonna be done in a day. :s

If you are going to delete something instead of getting rid of it perhaps move it to a "graveyard" sub-forum? Something that can be used for those who are brave enough to venture into the graveyard. It can contain all old incompatible and incomplete but possibly useful post. The one word post and such of course delete. I can't tell you how many times I found someone referencing something old and having to search it. Without some possibility of gaining info one would have to post .. what are you talking about or .. I heard someone mention a cool mod.. where is it I looked through LL and can't find it. Only to be responded to that it is out of date and no longer compatible. Cool thing, it would be easy to dump any outdated threads and other post etc into the graveyard. Then later slowly delete them at leisure.

I like that idea. A request sub-forum for the various games.. Fallout NV. Skyrim, Oblivion etc. Request, port request etc. It will free a lot of space for other post in the main areas.

EDIT:

Noticed your post DoctaSax. Maybe it can be ran by Ashal.

I would also like to request if possible a Tales of Two Wasteland sub forum (In Fallout 3/New Vegas). Since anything that people runs may need to be modified it would help prevent post in the main Fallout Tech Support and Downloads sections. Yes also a small download section for any mods that are being created or patched to run with TWW. I know a few post and individuals here are working on creating compatibility with Sexout. You can imaging how much trouble that would cause if someone loaded that one up in a regular FNV game.

Sort of get in front of the ball on this one before there are problems. Just an idea.

I know you are only starting to do some cleanup however a ounce of prevention is worth several hours of work.. well the saying doesn't go that way but you get the idea.

Deleting threads will only be the last option. I agree that some old threads might just have the kind of info you might be looking for. First priority is moving threads into their designated areas.

WCIF and "What mod is this" threads are in every subforum and are the most frequented threads on this board. Splitting them up in threads for each individual request would quickly add to the mess, I'm afraid. I'm not ruling out that something like a request subforum might exist someday, however. But that's for the boss to decide.

Old threads get archived, so they are still there for people to see, they just can't be posted in.

As for the TTW subforum, I don't really see the necessity. There hasn't been much action on FO3 for it to warrant its own section and those few TTW threads are managaeble. If there are too many subforums, stuff gets orphaned pretty quickly and people resume posting in those areas that are frequented the most. Just adding a prefix like  [TTW only] or something should be enough. Unless you are developing 50 mods for TTW in your spare time of course... :D

That's something only Ashal can do.

Well I like this idea. What would be the point? Users don't even post in the correct place as it is, adding one more thread most likely won't change that

For the record you guys could do this summer cleaning a far better way. If I could go through the entire Skyrim section in 3 hours the site staff should be able to do the entire site in about 2 days if you all choosea game section each.

If I get bored I could most likely go through the entire section again and create a list and forward it on to you. Save your minds from being eaten by the internet gremlins :P

Deleting threads will only be the last option. I agree that some old threads might just have the kind of info you might be looking for. First priority is moving threads into their designated areas.

WCIF and "What mod is this" threads are in every subforum and are the most frequented threads on this board. Splitting them up in threads for each individual request would quickly add to the mess, I'm afraid. I'm not ruling out that something like a request subforum might exist someday, however. But that's for the boss to decide.

Old threads get archived, so they are still there for people to see, they just can't be posted in.

As for the TTW subforum, I don't really see the necessity. There hasn't been much action on FO3 for it to warrant its own section and those few TTW threads are managaeble. If there are too many subforums, stuff gets orphaned pretty quickly and people resume posting in those areas that are frequented the most. Just adding a prefix like  [TTW only] or something should be enough. Unless you are developing 50 mods for TTW in your spare time of course... :D

The issue with the older threads are many newer individuals and I myself when I started here would look at them and try to use the info. Some of the info even some of the downloads were outdated and caused great grief. If they were somewhere where normal looking wouldn't gain access to them yet those that choose to research could gain access that might be a nice use. However that would be a great deal of work and I understand the logic of the current process. I just wanted to through out some other options even if it was to get the creative juices flowing. ;) Keep in mind I was completely new to Forums,.. well except Nexus but we all know that they don't do things that the rest of the internet do. It just occurred to me a locked thread is a warning that it might be old or outdated and not reliable use with caution yada yada.. I get it now...  :blush: Smacks self in head... figured something else out today..

I am running TWW so who knows I might be creating 50 mods for TWW in my spare time... ah hell I can't even get GECK to load and work correctly who am I kidding.. :P I suppose you are correct if the poster uses links properly users will be able to find the mods and info quick enough. Noobies might run into issues but that would likely be because they haven't read the OP and it would be the same issue with anything else. The can soon have their problems resolved by members here. Nothing new there.

On a separate note I can't find info on what is the purpose of [ bracket ] use before the title? I might be enlightened some more before the night is over... :D I might start using that if I could only figure out what it did.... meant.. oh whatever you get the point.

The info in the brackets wouldn't have any technical use, they'd just be for information. If you'd see a mod with [TTW] before the title, that should basically inform you that you need TTW. :P

I'm not opposed to make stuff easier to find. The problem is that the more categories there are, the more confusing it can get and the harder it gets to maintain. Say you've made a mod and there is no specific category for it. Where do you put it? It ends up in a common category, anyway. But if there were as many categories as on the Nexus maybe, chances are that only very few mods end up in there. We're not the Nexus after all and don't have as many mods (yet). So there has to be some sort of consolidation, where mods are easy to find and we don't throw in arbitrary hurdles for mod authors. Mod users don't need to click through dozens of folders and might find some pearls they didn't know they were looking for. :D

It wouldn't be confusing. I can solve that with an extremely detailed guide which can be placed to appear after account creation.

The biggest problem you will have is getting people to stop being lazy, do searches and read posts in existing threads.

It wouldn't be confusing. I can solve that with an extremely detailed guide which can be placed to appear after account creation.

The biggest problem you will have is getting people to stop being lazy, do searches and read posts in existing threads.

Reading post.... what's that... ?

:P

THIS! 

Furthermore, I encourage all mod authors to make use of our download system. It has nifty features like a screenshot gallery, changelog tools, versioning, file hosting, etc.

If anyone decides to migrate to the download system, please give any of us moderators a quick shoutout and we'll merge the new download with your old thread. 

Edit: 1000 posts... :D

Try as I might I can't think of a decent way to handle the "please make this or that for me" threads. 

The best way "might" be to consolidate them to a single thread but then you'll just see folks bumping the hell out of their request........so it is far from ideal.

Generally those requests will never be fulfilled, so it is kinda pointless not to go ahead and consolidate them.  I am open to your thoughts on the matter.

@Ark - I was being a smart-ass.  I did review quite a few, but I disagreed with some of your assessments. 

@Greg

Figures :P

To be honest I don't see why you guys are going to bother wasting your time with it as your never going to be able to stop people from posting in the wrong place, even after you clean it all up.

Yes, but keeping a handle on it does help.  With two more moderators keeping an eye on things it should be easier to keep on top of it.

@Greg

Figures :P

To be honest I don't see why you guys are going to bother wasting your time with it as your never going to be able to stop people from posting in the wrong place, even after you clean it all up.

Yes, but keeping a handle on it does help.  With two more moderators keeping an eye on things it should be easier to keep on top of it.

In theory :P If you can get them out the Fallout area long enough :P

I have something to give the site staff, some issues which need to be addressed or looked at as users keep PMing me about thinking it is something I can do or change. Just need to find it :/

Yeah... at least over in fallout we don't get many requests. People kinda got the message we never do them anyway :D

But actually, this little campaign is a result of Bruce & I thinking about what we can do outside of Fallout, which doesn't see Skyrim's kind of traffic. Just trying to make ourselves useful while things are otherwise pretty slow; it's just a good moment. I posted the announcement as a heads-up, so people wouldn't wonder where a thread went, and to remind people to do it right from the start.

New subsections are something only Ashal can do, and he's pretty busy with Sexlab so I'd leave him at it for now. Theoretically, for downloads, it would make more sense to add extra categories through the download system rather than in the forums. For non-downloads, it's not a bad idea to filter some stuff like requests out, but we just wanna focus on the basics now: tech questions under tech support, mods and mod-related topics under mods, downloads under downloads, anything else under general - that's the minimum all of us should be able to enforce before adding more categorizing to enforce, I think.

I don't wanna automatically shoot down ideas & offers to help. There's a big role to play for other members in keeping an eye on things once we made our first pass, especially when traffic picks up more in the fall. But we do want to do that one ourselves, steadily, which is how we prefer to work, and get better acquainted with this part of the site in the bargain. It's not a fulltime job either, just something we do on the side in addition to other stuff, as moderators, modders, players, people too. An ongoing project. If you have pointers on specific things that need doing and that we're able to do, we'll look at 'em. Just don't expect it all to be done overnight, or for us to make the exact decisions you'd like :)