Paradise Island - A WIP Preview

Introducing “Paradise Island” aka “Slavers Paradise”.

When I first discovered the TES series, both Skyrim, then Oblivion, I preferred playing Oblivion because it did not require me to log onto Steam, like Skyrim did. And of course, since I had done some basic modding on much older games, I started to learn the modding tools and as I searched for more info, eventually found Lover’s Lab.

I’ve had a lot of fun playing with these mods and the updates and additions as time went by, but after completing Bravil Undergound a couple times, I wanted something challenging to continue the idea. In part, to have something similar, yet different, and to continue the saga, also, as pay back to all those that have worked to keep the Oblivion side of the Lab, well, interesting and fun! After a lot of thought, I wrote a backstory to lay the foundation for what I wanted to do and started terrain building, etc.

This is a long ways from being done, but I am near the stage of presenting it for other modders review and help.

When I first had this concept, the first world space was too small and way to cluttered with forts, houses, cave, etc. And it had a lot of issues. But it taught me much.

So, I wrote a backstory which covers the island’s discovery to the present day. Most of it was to help me develop the island. Most of it is for reference. The end of the story at the present day is to set up the first quest of finding out about the island and getting there. The early parts of the story, may or may not be needed for any quests.

The island is fairly large in that it is in all four quads, basically about 38 cells long and about 28 cells tall on one end. At a walk it takes about 1.6 days to walk around on the beaches. And it is shaped like the Male anatomy.

Currently, there are no NPC’s, door locks, or factions. Everything is accessible. As I placed buildings, all quest related items, npc’s and factions were removed to make setup and testing easier, also to ensure that the Oblivion.esm was the only master during initial build. Almost every building still has the original interiors, my intention being to add extra beds for slaves, Island specific handbills and posters, etc, as the quest line developed.

I think all the landscaping, buildings and some outdoor clutter are in place. I have been finishing cleaning up minor landscaping issues, adding lights, a few subspaces and things like that prior to making the final LOD Textures. And just remade the world map. Not the final one, but looks better that the first.

Many buildings currently have generic names, such as “Estate House 01”, etc, although I have named some. I originally thought that some modders may have their own housing mod that they might want to add. I have also  just completed a name list to rename some of the generic buildings.

Eventually, I will make it dependent on finishing the final BU quest, and I am trying to finalize or fix the things I missed.

Anyway, here is the story of Paradise Island.

Part One

Spoiler

About 600 years ago, an upperclass merchant of the family Mandolay, began to expand his business by setting up shops in all the major capital cities of Cyrodill, and then built a trading empire by aquiring and maintaining his own trading caravans and warehouses. The founder of this empire was extremely perceptive of the needs of the people and the value of trade goods, and as the decades went by, each generation continued to build upon the skills and knowledge of their forefathers. They never traded stolen or illegal goods, ensured that the merchandise was alway appropriate for the class of their customer and of good quality. Although not of noble blood, due to the success of the family, they were readily accepted in many circles.

So successful were the Mandolay's that some 300 years later it was rumored that the assets of their trading empire exceeded the combined wealth of many of the top nobility. At this time there was born a son who was destined to not only take over his father's trade, but would forever change the nature of the family business.

At a young age, Jedicus Mandolay showed the same insight as his ancestors. As he approached manhood, he was well versed in the family trade, and had travelled most of the land. A girl named Sarine caught his fancy. However, her family were members of the nobility and desired for Sarine to marry upward, despite their knowledge of the wealth and reputation of the Mandolays. While Sarine seemed fond of Jedicus and readily accepted his lavish gifts, she did not desire to go against her mother and father's wishes. Jedicus, love stricken, did not perceive the game she played and continued to seek a way to change her fathers mind.

Jedicus learned that Sarine's father, Rodan, was a collector of ancient artifacts and was interested in obtaining a certain piece. Jedicus thought that if he could find this piece, and present it to Rodan, he might improve Rodan's disposition towards himself. Jedicus managed to track down the piece rather quickly, however, in his haste, he failed to adequately research the source.

When a certain group found out that there was a buyer willing to spend much gold for this piece, it was stolen from a private collection and sold to Jedicus's buyer the next day. The thief, however, failed to properly cover his tracks and was promptly apprehended. Agents were sent immediately to recover the stolen artifact.

When Jedicus received the artifact, he was overjoyed and immediately set up an appointment to present the piece to Rodan. After this was done, Rodan boasted of his aquisition and when the agents of the original owner arrived, it was easy for them to track down the artifact. When Rodan was confronted by the agents, he called the Imperial Guard and had Jedicus brought before him. Jedicus was shown the evidence the agents had brought with them and for the first time in his life was speechless and did not know what to do. Rodan ordered the Imperial Guard to take Jedicus to prision pending a formal investigation. As the group prepared to leave, Sarine, who had overheard the entire episode, saw this as a perfect opportunity. She told Jedicus that she never loved him, never wanted to see him again, and had only encouraged him due to the things he gave her.

Jedicus, heartbroken and head down, was quietly taken to prison. Word spread quickly to Jedicus's father, whom after discrete inquiries, found out that he knew the owner of the artifact and could get the charges dropped by paying adequate compensation towards the expenses of recovering the artifact and the inconvience of its temporary disappearance. He determined that the incident would have little impact on the family after compensation was made. But, to teach Jedicus a lesson, he decided to let Jedicus stay in prison for a week or so, and ponder his mistake.

Part Two

Spoiler

His first two days in prison, Jeduicus, heartbroken and feeling dejected did nothing but lie in his bunk and stare at the ceiling, pondering his past, his actions, and the possibilities of his future. Finally, he took notice of a woman in the cell across from his. He learned that her name was Keila and she had accepted a short term in prison for a petty crime because she could not afford to pay the fine that was imposed at sentencing. In reality, Keila was a master Slave Trader, and chose jail time rather than let it be known that she had resources that could pay her fine.

Knowing the extensive resources of the Mandolay's, she saw an opportunity in Jedicus. Very carefully, over the next several days, she broached the subject of slavery. While Jedicus knew the lucrative slave trade existed, it was illegal and at first he pretended to turn a deaf ear. When they tired of talking, or when guards were near, Jedicus would take to his bunk. He would ponder the things Keila hinted about, and began to develop a plan of revenge against Sarine and her family.

Jedicus began to question Keila more directly about slaving in general. Although Keila sensed his sincerity, she never admitted her true identity as a Trader, but rather told Jedicus that if he really was interested in the slave trade, that he could send word to her through her contacts at Silverhome on the Water in Bravil, and she would arrange for him to meet the right people.

By the time Jedicus was released from prison, he had made up his mind. His plan was to have Sarine taken from her family and turn her into his personal slave.

After his release, his father suggested that Jedicus leave the Imperial City for a while and let the incident with the artifact fade into the past. Jedicus immediately agreed and went straight to Bravil with one of the trading caravans under the pretext of searching out new business for the family.

Jedicus knew that he could not abduct Sarine without a very sound plan. If he moved too quickly, he would be suspect. He also considered that he would have to move her quickly and quietly far away from the Imperial City. These and many other things he pondered during his trip to Bravil and when he arrived there, he quickly set out to get the family business done.

While the family business was fairly routine, Jedicus made it known that he was searching out new trade routes and opportinities. The Mandolay's had never tried to extend their reach into the neighboring lands of Elyswer and the Valenwood. He frequented Silverhome on the Water and talked to many travellers and traders all the while looking for the right opportunity to contact Keila. Keila, of course, already knew that Jedicus was in Bravil. After a few days a private meeting was arranged and the two met.

They talked extensively, and eventually Kiela agreed to help Jedicus. Although she felt he was sincere in his desire, she decided to test Jedicus. Kiela presented Jedicus with a trusted female slave who would act as a personal servant. Keila also asked Jedicus to carry with him a small package of Skooma and deliver it to a contact in the Imperial City. Jedicus readily agreed.

Part Three

Spoiler

Over the centuries, the underground traders had already insinuated themselves into the hierarchy of the Mandolay trading empire. Early on they knew that if they were very careful, the extensive reach of the trade caravans and trade merchants could safely ensure a means of trading illegal goods. With this network already in place, it was easy to observe Jedicus and his discrete and sucessful delivery. Upon his return, Keila readily accepted Jedicus into the Slaver's Family.

As you can imagine, Jedicus lost no time in explaining his desire of revenge on Sarine. Together, Keila and Jedicus developed a plan to make this a reality. Jedicus would continue working on family business setting up new trade routes while Keila set in motion the plan of abduction.

Jedicus departed for Lleyawin and purchased trading ships, hired crews, and established business contacts to begin trading between Tamriel, Elyswer and Valenwood. He had his agents purchase a manor house in the major southern ports of both Elyswer and Valenwood. After spending a month in each location to become known to the locals, he returned to Lleyawin, journeyed north to Bravil, and then to the Imperial City to visit his family. While in the Imperial City, he was extremely careful to avoid Sarine and her family. He made it known to his friends and associates that he would be gone for a significant amount of time to concentrate on the new trade ventures he was creating and after final consultation with his father, once again headed south.

After a brief stop in Bravil, Jedicus continued to Lleyawin, and left with three ships for Elyswer. The plan was to have Sarine taken while he was gone, smuggled to Lleyawin, reaching there about the time he returned. There were to be three more ships loaded with trade goods and ready to sail within days of his return.

The plan that Jedicus and Keila had developed, was very sucessful. Jedicus returned with three full ships and upon arrival in Lleyawin, made arangements for the trade goods to be delivered to various merchants within the Mandolay Trading network. After sending dispatches to his father, he departed Lleyawin within days, after ensuring Sarine was safely aboard his flagship with the intention of taking her to his home in Valenwood. They never arrived.

Part Four

Spoiler

The ships left port and went south to the established southern shipping lane. On the way the weather began to turn foul and as the ships got closer to turning, a sudden storm of great intensity blew in from the north. The ships, heavily laden, could do little but drift south with the winds. As the storm abated several days later, all three ships were still afloat, moderately damaged, and barely within sight of each other. It took another day for the ships to rendevous. With the night skies now clear the navigators were able to pinpoint their location and the ships were about a week south of the shipping lanes. Lucky for Jedicus, two of the ships were loaded with building supplies, and it was determined that the masts and rigging could be repaired to allow the ships to return north. While begining repairs, the ships continued a slow drift to the south and the lookouts began to see signs of land. Ten days after leaving port, one of the lookouts spotted land and since ship's captains ordinarily never left the shipping lanes, the land was not on any of the charts. The three captains decided, that inhabited or not, being anchored on the leeward side of land would make the ships more stable for repairs, and so continued south.

Jedicus's luck continued and as the ships approached the western end of the island, an opening to a protected harbor was spotted. After sending small boats in to take soundings, it was determined that the way in was safe and the ships entered slowly and dropped anchor. Over the next two weeks trees were felled, spars shaped and the ships were ready for sea. During this time, scouting parties were sent in various directions. The land appeared to be uninhabited, but there were wild beasts, and several reports of previous Ayleid occupation.

At this point, Jedicus realized that the island represented a unique opportunity. Despite the possibility of seaching the ruins for valuable artifacts, the island lay outside the jurisdiction of the Imperial Government. The harbor was well protected. The pockets of land north, south and east of the harbor were surrounded by high and rugged hills and peaks, and could be easily defended from both the sea as well as any threats from the eastern direction of land.

After the ships were repaired, Jedicus left the island with the firm intention of returning. He started recuiting craftsment of all trades as well as purchacing many slaves and would periodically send his ships, full of supplies, back to the island to begin building his new private empire. He named the island, “Paradise Island”, and with his resources the harbor was improved quickly, and several homes sprang up.

Jedicus eventually moved to the island and with Sarine by his side, and continued to direct the future of the island, as well of incorporating the darker side of merchandising into the family business. But the island was primarily devoted to the slave trade and eventually earned the nickname, “Slavers Paradise”.

Over the centuries that followed, the decendents of Jedicus continued building and improving both the the security and living conditions of the harbor area, and the north and south areas that were surronded by mountains. Eventually, some moved further east and small settlements were established elsewhere. Although there were wild animals and creatures in various places, travel from one end of the island to the other was safe enough. One of the two inlets on the east end of the island was deep enough for ships, while the other was used for fishing. Forts were built in a few locations, explorers found caves and mines, as well as three Alyeid ruins. As time went by, slave trading was slowly and discreetly added to the Mandolay business. The island was used to break and train slaves. Even the pirates were allowed access to the island and eventually the north east inlet was called “Pirates Landing”

Eventually, however, the existence of Paradise Island became known to those in Tamriel.

Part Five

Spoiler

Despite the carefull planning and execution of the Mandolay operatives, there was occasionally a bit of indescretion on the part of those working for the family. And, of course, the Imperial Government managed to get this information.

Although the island was considered to be outside the jurisdiction of the government, several high ranking officials felt that the only way to disrupt the slave traders, was to mount an attack on the island, crush what was thought to be the primary headquarters and base of operation and gather whatever information could be obtained to destroy the slave trading routes in Tamriel.

After 50 years of digging, government spies eventually got the location of the island, and though none had ever been there, the information that they accumulated seemed to imply that the island was undefended and would be an easy battle. It was thought that 10-20 ships of legionaires would be sufficient.

The head of the Mandolay family had been informed of the governments attempts to locate the island early on. When word finally arrived of the planned invasion, family members were quick to act.

In truth, the western end of the island was capable of being heavily defended. Over the centuries, guard towers were built at the harbor enterance and eastern land opening. A bridge was built across the harbor opening so that heavy rocks could be dropped on incoming ships, as well as ropes and spars could be strung to foul incoming ships rigging. The Mandolay’s armed anyone with a desire to fight and as the day approached, all was in readiness.

History often repeats itself. As the Legion ships approaced land, a devastating storm hit and many ships were lost, although a few were close enough to run aground and let the troops escape to land, their supplies were now limited. Although a few ships made it into the harbor, the defenses finally trapped one that prevented the rest from entering. And the ships that managed to drop troops at Pirates Landing, were limited by the small size of the of the Landing area.

Eventually, the Legion was defeated. There were many lost during the battle, so it took a considerable amount of time to clear the main harbor and repair what damage that had been done. The ship that was trapped at the harbor enterance ripped the bridge down and sunk in the channel, blocking the enterance. The island’s Master Goods Trader, converted one of the builings in Pirates Cove into a warehouse and goods that arrived were stored there until they were transported to other parts of the island.

The Imperial Government, when they found out about the Legion’s failure, decided to make life as difficult as possible for the Mandolay empire in Tamriel. On any pretext that would work, they shut down warehouses, disrupted the trade routes and confiscated much. Eventually, the Mandolay empire shrunk considerably and some family members went “underground”, taking on different names and over time, losing theer connection to the remaining Mandolay trade system.

Near the present day, there were very few in Tamriel who would identify themselves as members of the Mandolay family. With the loss of revenue and resources, the slave trade to Paradise Island had dwindled considerably. Although the few Mandolay’s that remained on the island had enough wealth to continue with all the repairs and keep trade active, it was desired to restore the family name to its former glory.

On the island, the aging Matriarch of the Mandolay family, almost having lost faith that there were any decendents left, discovered that one of the bloodline did still live and hoped that this one would come to the island and take over the family business and begin building the slave trade back to what it once was. He had heard that there was a secret slave trading center near Bravil with an underground harbor, and told his scouts to search there.

Only time will tell.

Final notes.

Mandolay Manor is one of the easier to work with castles with some interior adds, such as slave quarters. On the opposite end of the island, high on a potentially well protected mountain top is Marissa Manor. Marissa manor is “Cloud Ruler Temple” with no quest items. I chose it for its size and location, and could be replaced with something else. In fact, I won’t have any restrictions to what gets added to the mod. As I previously explained, it will help give the Lab something new to work on and keep the Oblivion side active and interesting.

Besides quests that help restore the slave trade and such, I had thought that using the “protected” east end of the island could be used as a major quest line. An example. One of the invaders managed to escape to the manor, eventually kill the owner, take it over, and secretly, use it to control and supply the bandits that now exist. Not set in stone, but once an island run thru is done to see how it is laid out, you will see that this could be a major quest line.

And last, the few caves and mines are still occupied by bandits. I left the long shaft mostly empty to get the landscaping texturing done (what a pain landscaping is) and to allow modders to add their own mods. On the northern part there is one village near the center, and on the bottom only one Gobblin Den. So there is a lot of space.

The attached image has had a few descriptions added to give an idea of what the island is like.

I still have much to do, so off I go.

Paradise Island.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks, it is a rather large undertaking. I started writing some "get to the Island" dialogue, then I started helping Ducky with some clothing. That has really helped my relearn some of this stuff I forgot.

I figured that once I had the first travel to the island quest and a basic theme for the future quests, I would start putting NPC's back in the game, and then get a few alpha testers to run around and check my landscaping and such.  Next, quest writing a scripting.

When I was trying to decide the shape of the island, I figure that LL being sexy oriented, it would work for most. The island/map is actually big enough, that it would take a lot of scrolling to figure out the outline.

As an example, here is an in-game shot of the harbor from the eastern side on the docks, and the same view without the map up.

Spoiler

Map.jpg.f27a6b6ca93628ef03a032c3ec5896ac.jpg

ScreenShot.jpg.4a9dfa770f19cf5fad1c926356825a6a.jpg

H'mmm.  Do you have, or do you know of, the 'mrSiikas' modders resources?  Once I discovered them, I've used them a lot.  The ones I use are: 'mrSiikas_BetterPorts_Seagulls', mrSiikas_MarketResources', 'mrSiikas_MerchantShip'.  They are really well done, don't use a lot of resources, and add things that should obviously be in the game, such as market stalls, coasting boats with sails, dockside treadmill cranes, etc.

I think you'd find them very useful for a project like this, and you can merge them into your esp without problems (and with express permission provided in the mods.)

I got mine off the Nexus.  Maybe they're still there.  I dunno, I haven't been back to the Nexus since they decided to steal modders works.

Trippy

(sample pic from my unpublished Bravil remake)

Spoiler

Beautiful Bravil 03.jpg

Edited by Trippy_the_Squirrel
add spoiler box
  • 3 months later...

For anyone who might be occasionally checking the status of this WIP, here is what’s up.

I’ve had some great alpha testers helping with various things. This is where I am.

After landscape checks, path grided the island. Started adding lots of clutter like carts, tools, merchant stands, and more. Still much more to go.

Added about 14 npc, some packages, custom uniforms, a book with the back history, then set up the initial quest and dialog to get to the island, meet the Matriarch, and set up to be able to travel back and forth from the island to Tamriel.

Using scripts, have it set up to use quest data from Bravil Underground, and added the functions of LST mod without using it as a master.

I have refined my idea for the Main Quest line, and currently modeling the stronghold that will help support that.

Lot of work and study learning scripting for this, but now should make progress a bit easier.

8 hours ago, Melamkish said:

For anyone who might be occasionally checking the status of this WIP, here is what’s up.

I’ve had some great alpha testers helping with various things. This is where I am.

After landscape checks, path grided the island. Started adding lots of clutter like carts, tools, merchant stands, and more. Still much more to go.

Added about 14 npc, some packages, custom uniforms, a book with the back history, then set up the initial quest and dialog to get to the island, meet the Matriarch, and set up to be able to travel back and forth from the island to Tamriel.

Using scripts, have it set up to use quest data from Bravil Underground, and added the functions of LST mod without using it as a master.

I have refined my idea for the Main Quest line, and currently modeling the stronghold that will help support that.

Lot of work and study learning scripting for this, but now should make progress a bit easier.

did not understand where I missed the link to the file

TDA, so sorry. Way back when I did the first post, wasn't thinking of testing. The few testers, I PM'd. Will try to add you to that PM.

Edited to add:

TDA, Now I remember that I was not ready to upload my working copy to the forums, and still not ready. That is why I used a PM. There seems to be a limit on the number of invites for a PM, and before I got a chance to look at other options, I got side tracked and forgot.

I will make sure you are in the next round.

Edited by Melamkish
Add more
  • 1 year later...

I had to take a break over the summer, but have been actively working on it again.

Currently, with the last couple of LST updates, I am having an issue with my servant custom work packages when I buy and sell a servant. After purchase/sell, the servant acts like the token or work script is still active, and they jerk back and forth. If I pack them and travel somewhere else, the servant wants to return to work location, then turns around, walks back a bit, and repeats.

So, I've been going thru the scripts/packages looking for something I may have missed.

Otherwise, everything else seems to be working.

My problem is with servants, not slaves, and I don’t think the original LST supported servants.

All the pre-existing servants do their custom packages (based on tokens) with the work animations, just like they are suppose to. The only problem is when the player buys one, they keep doing the token packages, and I haven’t figure out why.

I have considered making the servants “nobuyme”, since the mod is generally based on restoring the slave trade, and then get more slaves into the mod. All the farms and such have working servants, and the towns have lots of npc’s with custom dialogue. So, I have made a lot of progress. Was just hoping to figure out what I may have missed before continuing.

I did set up one nobuyme servant vendor that works, so making all the fishing, digging, scything, sweeping, raking servants as nobuyme would be easy.

I had planned to create custom bad guys that won’t respawn, that could be “enslaved”, so getting slaves for some quests won’t be too difficult. I set the Teddy Quest up that way.

I pretty much have everything else, landscape, buildings, and such done and looks good.

YOU NAMED THE ORC'S MEAD HALL HEOROT?

"HEOROT?"

THAT'S THE MEAD HALL IN BEOWULF!!!!

or the mead hall in "Eaters of the Dead" aka "The 13th Warrior"

according to Ahmad ibn Fadlan, a real-life 10th-century Arab traveler.

And yeah, there was a change to the startup 'onAdd' block for servant duty tokens which was made a while ago and wasn't noticed.  The update I made a while ago served to prevent issues with conflicting tokens and/or frozen actions.  That I see so-far.  Had only just started today.

OH, having both working overview maps, city area and world area, is a nice touch.  Crowning Isles just has the inner city maps and no general Isle map (incorrectly defaulting to Cyrodiil). So that's a PLUS.  But on a graphic side, you appear missing LOD files which lets you see things from a great distance.  I think Nexus has a LOD generator???

Edited by LongDukDong

Mead hall I think I took from many of the Orc related files I looked at. Could always be changed, if appropriate.

The LOD's I had in a much older version, but wanted to get the major landscaping and such done, before generating new ones. They will be added, eventually.

More to come, later.

LOT; Landscape LOD generator tes4ll  for ground nif (meshes\landscape\LOT\  and the landscape textures.

!! to see it in game the world (world cell) must be vanilla ( part of Oblivion.esm). So you have to use TESGecko  the "move landscape" function. I've done this with all mod worlds.  e.g. LoversCrowningIsle, where on the horizon I only ever saw rocks, bushes and trees but never any ground.

And TES4LODGen for all objects (rocks, trees, houses,...  everything with  _far.nif )

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/40549

https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/15781

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking. I was about a day away from an update. 🙂

I've been working on fixing my working servant issues. To help this, I have now made LST a master so I could eliminate a lot of custom calls and try to narrow down, as well as streamline how things happen. I've been working with Ducky (LongDukDong) and we now have some ideas.

I've also finished a couple side quests that were hinted at in rumors, and have been getting set up to get LOD working. It is a long way from being done, but I had hoped that after getting some of the above done, I could add the mod to the Download section, so other modders could help, change, or test.

From where I am when the above is done, the main quest line could go in many directions.

• 3 weeks later...

This whole project sounds interesting and ambitious, I would love to give it a try one day.
With ensIavement, think it'd be interesting if it worked both ways. Like the PC gets enslaved, for example by the Slave Encounters mod, and gets sent to the slave auction, ahem, I mean servant quarters. From this point on, it'd be it's own repeatable mini questline where you need to decide how to get out of this situation and later whether you'll do the main questline or if just escaping from the island is the safer option. Anyways, that's just a thought, I can imagine you're busy enough with the main work.