If you are an animator, you must read it.

If you are an animator, you must read it.

View File

Please do not use a random customized bone list

when you export your animations.

Export.png.611c1f91ea11b3e9779c7cc680ebd501.png

If you are an animator, I strongly suggest you read this.

I decided to write this because I have been informed so many bug reports related to "twisted anus" even until now.
The users, who were having problems with this delicate organ, kept asking if it was a body issue.
It was no wonder why they thought so because right after CBBE SE and BHUNP SE were released the issue rose.
The funny thing is the bug was observed in certain animations and I realised it was the animation that had the issue not the body.

ScreenShot591.thumb.jpg.27175657caaad51ac2a8c43b0f7df6bc.jpg

This kind of glitch was never an issue before because all the body mods did not use xpmse's new bones except for specific bones such as breasts bones and butt bones.
But why now? It's because new body mods recently developed for SE begin to use new bones(3BBB breast bones, Anus bones, etc).
Along with that, I made a change to XPMSE to make them compatible and organize things that no one cared about.
For a decade, animators, including me, used the wrong list without knowing what would affect one's animation.
You can see the glitch in most of SLAL animation packs and Pose mods.
For example, we can see the major difference between GS Poses and Gomapero poses.
Because GS Poses used his personal bone list and Gomapero Poses did stick to the vanilla one.

1851298357_Wrongbonelist.thumb.png.da350dd877884c00ed17b433b33e46cb.png

The left one is the customized one and the right one is from the one provided by XPMSE.

There might be someone who thinks that I am the one who is reponsible. 'The glitch tranpired because of my interference.'
Sorry, unfortunately no. I happened to be the one that noticed it and brought it up to the table.
Someone had to do it.

This ugly glitch can be observed even in one of the DLC contents, Dawnguard.
I have been reported that 'Vampire Lord' had camera height glitch with ABC so many times.
I do not know why but apprantely the animator who were in charge of Vampire Lord's animation used a customized bone list, not the vanilla one.
If you're curious, you can test it for yourself.
Make a pose for VL and export it with the vanilla bone list and see what happens.
Of course, there will be no camera glitch, whatsoever.
It is nothing surprising considering the sloppy work on body skinweight but that's another dev story.

If you want to know more about what's going on, here's my simple explanation.

When you export animations, the bone list needs to be corresponding to Skeleton.hkx bone list.
If the bone list has bones that are not registered in Skeleton.hkx, the animation breaks.
Specifically, the order is the one you should care about. If the bone list orders do not match, the animation breaks.
You can check up which bones are registered in the bone lists that are uploaded on XPSME thread.
Or you can simply use the vanilla bone list.
If you don't know what I am talking about and what you are doing, just use the vanilla one. I am begging you.

Conclusion

If you are an animator, please make sure you use the right bone list.
Not able to find proper bone lists? I will leave it here for you.
Please, please do not use unofficially customized bone lists.
It will break your animation. It cannot be fixed by someone else either.
You animators have to deal with this animation glitch for yourself.
Nobody can.

8 hours ago, sen4mi said:

Can you describe some way of determining which bones an animation uses?

(Preferably something which does not require the purchase of animation or rigging software?)

As I said, it's all in the text file I uploaded here or are you asking how to crack skeleton.hkx?

Edited by factoryclose
14 hours ago, factoryclose said:

As I said, it's all in the text file I uploaded here or are you asking how to crack skeleton.hkx?

Cracking hkx would be nice!

But if there are any modding tools which can identify bone names or bone conflicts or something along that line which a non-animator could use, I feel like that would be good enough for this.

Edit: In other words, I am trying to find out how to tell if I should reject a mod's animations.

Edited by sen4mi
8 hours ago, sen4mi said:

Cracking hkx would be nice!

But if there are any modding tools which can identify bone names or bone conflicts or something along that line which a non-animator could use, I feel like that would be good enough for this.

Edit: In other words, I am trying to find out how to tell if I should reject a mod's animations.

A non-animator could use? I don't get what you're aiming for. You don't need anything related to bone names if you're not an animator.

7 hours ago, factoryclose said:

A non-animator could use? I don't get what you're aiming for. You don't need anything related to bone names if you're not an animator.

You had said "GS Poses used his personal bone list" which causes problems.

If I am to avoid such problems, I either:

1. Need to avoid all animation mods (not likely), or
  2. I need to carefully go through every animation of every mod I install, inspecting it in-game to see if it looks ok, or
  3. I need some way of checking if the animations use a personal bones list

Or, ok, maybe someone else could go through all of the animation mods and call out which ones use standard bones lists and which one use personal bones lists.

Or, ok, maybe I should just avoid skyrim until people figure this out.

But, I would prefer option 3.

Do you see any better approaches which I should instead be using?

21 hours ago, sen4mi said:

You had said "GS Poses used his personal bone list" which causes problems.

If I am to avoid such problems, I either:

1. Need to avoid all animation mods (not likely), or
  2. I need to carefully go through every animation of every mod I install, inspecting it in-game to see if it looks ok, or
  3. I need some way of checking if the animations use a personal bones list

Or, ok, maybe someone else could go through all of the animation mods and call out which ones use standard bones lists and which one use personal bones lists.

Or, ok, maybe I should just avoid skyrim until people figure this out.

But, I would prefer option 3.

Do you see any better approaches which I should instead be using?

Num 2 is the only option. No way to figure it out before you play Skyrim and see it for yourself. Actually this twisted anus isn't much a problem because you don't stare at it all the time. So normal idle motions are okay imo. But when we are talking about SLAL motions, it could be important.

• 9 months later...