How to Make Your Character Glossy / Shiny (Skyrim)

Jerbsinator

For anyone wondering, this is how you get your character glossy in Skyrim. It's super easy. You don't need Glosstech to get the gloss effect, just do this.

EDIT: I apologize, for some fucking reason the image won't load anymore. Reuploaded a different one.

post-7703-0-26983700-1370500501_thumb.jpg

That's true, you can edit that in Photoshop if you want it brighter. Just need to download the .dds plugin from Nvidia to be able to save it. In this respect its the same as oblivion was so if you knew how to do it for that game its pretty much the same deal here.

Another factor is your Enb, my specular settings are quite high so my character looks really glossy. Mess around with your specular settings to find something you like.

• 2 weeks later...

Also to add, in ENB the reflections setting changes the gloss level from regular wet-type gloss to a shiny reflective/mirror gloss the higher the setting is. Be careful though; at higher levels you'll lose a little bit of frames per second.

Welcome new member! Be prepared for torture.

Also does this work with armor?

• 4 months later...

If my assumption is correct, this would be better then an ENB edit. with an enb edit it makes everything glossy, body, clothing, ground, walls. this only effects the mesh you edit correct? so for an entire body you would need to edit body, head, hands and feet. and in doing the head it wouldn't effect the hair?

It shouldn't effect the hair since the hair mesh is totally separate .

If my assumption is correct, this would be better then an ENB edit. with an enb edit it makes everything glossy, body, clothing, ground, walls. this only effects the mesh you edit correct? so for an entire body you would need to edit body, head, hands and feet. and in doing the head it wouldn't effect the hair?

Yes but ENB can make it more glossy, though you are correct it will make everything more glossy. And yes it doesn't effect the hair. I also recommend not putting your face gloss too high, have it lower than what your body is otherwise too much light reflects and it hides your characters face.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been looking for tutorials and haven't found the answer for what I need. It's like it's assumed I should know this or something. I have GIMP 2.8 and have the .dds plugin activated and working (I opened a couple texture .dds files to check). My problem is I don't know how to get it from GIMP to Nifskope! :lol:

Can someone help an old bastard out here? I must be missing something simple. That's usually the case.

Like a derpityderp I was being a derp. :lol: I figured it out eventually.

• 2 weeks later...

i found this tips from other forum

put this on your enbseries.ini

SpecularAmountMultiplierDay=4.0
SpecularAmountMultiplierNight=4.0
SpecularPowerMultiplierDay=5.0
SpecularPowerMultiplierNight=5.0
(KEEP THESE TWO AT 0)
SpecularFromLightDay=0.0
SpecularFromLightNight=0.0

• 1 month later...

I've tried this method, and it works for the body, hands, feet and head of my character, but it doesn't work on the heads of NPCs. Is there a specific procedure for applying this to NPCs?

Female NPCs get a shine on everything except their Head/face. I can't seem to figure out why.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For anyone wondering, this is how you get your character glossy in Skyrim. It's super easy. You don't need Glosstech to get the gloss effect, just do this.

EDIT: I apologize, for some fucking reason the image won't load anymore. Reuploaded a different one.

attachicon.gifglossiness.jpg

Still whenever i do that change glossiness to 600-1000 and specular strenght to 6-30 it looks more like plastic not the wet effect 

• 6 months later...

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, but where the hell are the head meshes. I can't find them anywhere.

This topic is probably long dead, but I'm hoping someone can help me here.

You will probably need to have a mod that provides the head NIF, if you do not have one.  If you do have one, I would recommend to try and perform a search for femalehead.nif where you have been installing mods.  Or perhaps, you have a follower mod that is using an exported head?  The head nif is probably in it's own FaceGeom folder if that is the case.

The technique used that is mentioned by Jerb works for me for all the meshes I use in my mods if I apply them, even the head.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, but where the hell are the head meshes. I can't find them anywhere.

This topic is probably long dead, but I'm hoping someone can help me here.

Any file not edited by mods is compiled by the creationkit.

Archived