Games you are looking forward for release

Yes really.  Played lots of submarine games over the years Silent Hunter III, U Boat (WWII German), Silent Hunter 4 (WWII U.S.), Dangerous Waters (Cold War U.S., U.S.S.R.), etc..  This is a new perspective, that of the surface combatant, in this case a Fletcher class (I think).  It will be interesting to see how well it works.  Only Dangerous Waters had a playable surface combatant, but it also had the LAMPS III helicopters controllable as the ship captain, so seriously extended detection and engagement capability.

Edited by AKM
5 hours ago, AKM said:

Yes really.  Played lots of submarine games over the years Silent Hunter III, U Boat (WWII German, Silent Hunter 4 (WWII U.S.), Dangerous Waters (Cold War U.S., U.S.S.R.), etc..  This is a new perspective, that of the surface combatant, in this case a Fletcher class (I think).  It will be interesting to see how well it works.  Only Dangerous Waters had a playable surface combatant, but it also had the LAMPS III helicopters controllable as the ship captain, so seriously extended detection and engagement capability.

Spoiler

ngl, looks really good

but after Silent Hunter III, every game was just "meh" :D SH3 did something, that no following game did... I still play it now and then with the Grey Wolves Mod - just awesome :D

-----

back to topic:

sadly Bethesda announced, that their Starfield is delayed :(

BUT, there is still F1 22 coming up on July 1st - so I hope, that my back will be ok until then, so I can enjoy it in my sim racing rig :D

6 hours ago, thaclone said:

ngl, looks really good

but after Silent Hunter III, every game was just "meh" :D SH3 did something, that no following game did... I still play it now and then with the Grey Wolves Mod - just awesome :D

-----

back to topic:

BUT, there is still F1 22 coming up on July 1st - so I hope, that my back will be ok until then, so I can enjoy it in my sim racing rig :D

I still have it on my HD and play it on occasion.  Though it is annoying to have to dive so often when going into fast travel because of air craft.    SHIII is great, though Aces of the Deep will always hold a special place in my heart. 

As for playing the destroyer, I know why it isn't generally a focus:  It does not allow for independent playing (you go where the convoy goes).   Not saying it won't be worth checking out, just I think there isn't as big of a game market for that style of play, but I will add to my steam wish list.

8 hours ago, thaclone said:

ngl, looks really good

-----

back to topic:

Silent Hunter III with the Grey Wolves mod was it, for sure.  I frequented Subsim.com quite a bit back in the day.  Silent Hunter V had two big problems 1. Starforce and other "You gave us your money, but we still own the game (and oh, by the way, you have to load 50 programs on your computer so that we can keep our control over the game you bought from us)." bullshit, and 2. There apparently wasn't an option for the full war.  If I recall, they only gave you the early years, the 'Happy Times'.  The game ended in 1943, right when things started turning seriously against the U boats.  For me, the more dangerous years provided the most "fun" in the challenge.

I quite like the newest title, U Boat, on Steam.  It provides a more in depth perspective and control you have over the boat (though it takes some getting used to if in 3rd person), as well as far more challenge when you take damage, compartmentalization - and the ability to kick everyone out of a flooding compartment eliminating the possibility of them drowning in that compartment while the engineers patch the holes, the medical aspect by your radiomen - historically accurate, pump capacity decreasing as you dive and external pressure increases (such that below about 220 meters, the pump loses 100% effectiveness, and you'd better hope you can go fast enough to get the dive planes to work and drive you up or you're screwed), water from leaks in one compartment flowing over the watertight door sills (if it's deep enough) when sailors open them to move to a new compartment, spare parts required to effect repairs, sailor jobs - that can be varied in complexity to suit your play style. the ability to inspect ships to determine if they're flying a false flag, or inspect their cargo, to salvage items and food from crates that float from sunk ships, or, in shallow waters, dive to a sunk ship (assuming you've been successful enough to buy the rather expensive diving suit) that can increase your patrol time.  Milch Cows.  The ability to run your electric motors on the surface, which can greatly extend your range in the early times before the more efficient diesels come along.  Different lighting, that can change how quickly your crew uses the air in the boat, their night vision, as well as how quiet they are (in theory - sometimes I still have to tell the idiot torpedomen to quit working on the torpedoes while there are destroyers circling overhead). The ability to turn off items that use electricity, like the gyro-compass and dive planes (going to manual only), even an electrical board where you can switch off individual compartments' electricity - although this has no effect on electricity usage - yet, and the ability to assign an officer to the dive planes station to increase depth accuracy, especially useful in rough weather.  Assigning sailors to officers, and a crew schedule, where you can adjust watch periods, to make sure that people don't get too tired on watch.  The usual tech tree, as well as the ability to force research early - for a considerable increase in cost.  The usual torpedo tech tree, although it seems to me that the G7es T5 Zaunkönig is broken (or maybe it just worked too well in SH3). Crew vacations that have various perks, like increased research speed or increased morale for a short period.  Also, it adds foods as another resource to manage; now you might run out of food before fuel.  Visual range changes based on weather conditions, sonar detectability changes based on recent depth charge explosions, and seabed proximity (it's possible to almost become a ghost by laying the sub on the seabed).  Oh, and crew fatigue, leading to the possibility of a sailor cracking under pressure.  The ability to swap out crew in port for new, untried sailors.  This leads to the possibility, after five or so patrols, that morale will become a non-issue, as if you do it right, all of your sailors will be tried and tested "sea wolves", unaffected by the morale level.  Unfortunately, to provide all that, the game limits itself to just the Type VII, at least for now.

I've had very interesting "shovelful of sand under the keel" moments a la Das Boot, where it took everything I had available to bring the boat back to the surface after a successful attack by the destroyers and hours on the bottom pumping water and moving water to the control room by bucket brigade (once it got low enough that it wouldn't just flow into the next compartment on its own with the hatch open), and watching the air and electricity amounts drop, drop, drop.  Pretty exhilarating to get the boat back to the surface, but sad limping back to port with almost a full bag of torpedoes due to damage.  I learned fast to pack plenty of spare parts in storage!

Edited by AKM
  • 1 month later...

Starfield, mwaybe.

I see it as a new Skyrim, like, Constellated Edition. It's in space, got some fallout 4 raiders with kind of improved tech, etc...

It doesn't have to be groundbreaking - in fact, I'd rather they thread it safer with this one and actually offer an at least mostly polished game (can't expect anymore these days), with fun bugs and stuff to turn into memes which will then get hammered out by the devs (lol?) or the modders (praise be) and other blablabla.

I didn't really look up too much info on it, I tend to gather intel towards the release date but from what I saw through that trailer it's an alternative to F4 which may offer settlements as in F4 but showcased ship customisation - also the one playing's got shit aim and takes no cover, for one, which is good marketing since it makes potential hotshots feel like: "Hah, I could do better."

6 minutes ago, Clea Strange said:

well at least starfield isn't like Star Citizen, that game is in alpha/beta for I don't know how long. Their are a lot of people who play what is available and still waiting 

I know right?

I mean, SC seems to still get worked on which is more than some can say in terms of dedication to their craft - I don't want to argue either because it's undeniably taking a long kind of long time and some of their fixes aren't actually oriented towards stuff that would normally take priority but who am I to judge, it's their choice if they want to eternalise their project and risk losing what support they have...

Some are going to stay on it though, similarly to people living in willful denial when scammed.

• 1 month later...

Witchbrook is one of those cosy games I'm interested in.

Slime Rancher 2 is another one, I thought the original was relaxing / zen. I dig therapeutic / cathartic games. Don't get me wrong, I love slaying me some demons in Doom Eternal, but it's nice to kick back with some chillax on occasion as well.

I'm also looking forward to the third season of Being a DIK whenever that drops. I don't really care for Visual Novels, but I thought BAD was pretty good.

Not much else for me, too much in the backlog as it is anyway!

2 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Are you trying to convince us or yourself? ?

trying to convince you all, but seriously, it's a trilogy that I recommend to anyone who likes survival horror, survival elements (food control, radiation, bleeding system, among others).
and their mods, Anomaly and Call Of Chernobyl being one of the best, makes the game a true sandbox survival with a lot to do and if you put the community addons it makes for an even better experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...