Could someone change the orientation of this hair from this:

Hide contents

haird.JPG.f29973d37b2f974f247dd9a5369ecc77.JPG

to this:

Hide contents

hairdcopy.jpg.25606280def3eb05b52965269c38839f.jpg

I forgot to upload the nif :/

hairtoru.nif 927.28 kB · 3 downloads

If you're using OutfitStudio (OS), you can do it yourself.
Load the mesh in OS, select the hair mesh and press the F key.
With the now displayed 3D cursor you can rotate, scale and move the mesh.

PS: If the hair mesh has more than just the head bone, do the following:

1. First create a duplicate of the hair mesh in OS.
2. Call the duplicate, for example, "Bone Reference".
3. Then delete the bones from the original hair mesh.
4. Then rotate the original hair mesh with the 3D cursor (F key).
5. Right click on "Bone Reference" -> Make reference
6. Select the rotated hair mesh -> Copy bone weights (NOT Transfer bone weights)
7. right click on rotated hair mesh -> make reference
8. Delete the "Bone Reference" mesh
9. Export as Nif with reference

22 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

If you're using OutfitStudio (OS), you can do it yourself.
Load the mesh in OS, select the hair mesh and press the F key.
With the now displayed 3D cursor you can rotate, scale and move the mesh.

PS: If the hair mesh has more than just the head bone, do the following:

1. First create a duplicate of the hair mesh in OS.
2. Call the duplicate, for example, "Bone Reference".
3. Then delete the bones from the original hair mesh.
4. Then rotate the original hair mesh with the 3D cursor (F key).
5. Right click on "Bone Reference" -> Make reference
6. Select the rotated hair mesh -> Copy bone weights (NOT Transfer bone weights)
7. right click on rotated hair mesh -> make reference
8. Delete the "Bone Reference" mesh
9. Export as Nif with reference

I followed your instructions but the hair looks exactly the same.

2 hours ago, Ezarr said:

I followed your instructions but the hair looks exactly the same.

How can it look exactly the same when you've rotated it?
If it is turned in NifSkope, but not in the game, Tri mesh used for the in Head Parts.
You can try removing this tri in the CK. Make a backup of the esp beforehand.

11 hours ago, Andy14 said:

How can it look exactly the same when you've rotated it?

Cause it's the same, but rotated. I was talking about flipping the mesh like a mirror effect.

Edited by Ezarr
9 hours ago, Ezarr said:

Cause it's the same, but rotated. I was talking about flipping the mesh like a mirror effect.

Ah now I understand. Your pictures weren't very clear about what was meant.
You want a mirror on the x-axis, right?

@Ezarr Try this nif's.

With mirror on x-axis: hairtoru_mirror.nif

With mirror  on x-axis and a little smother boneweight:  hairtoru_mirror_bone_fix.nif

FYI -  in OS -> Top right window -> right click on mesh -> Mirror X. Done in this case. ;)

But be careful with other skinned meshes. It is best to create a duplicate first and delete all bones from the duplicate. Then flip and copy bone weight again. Before copy bone weight, make the original mesh as reference. So, as described above, only use mirror instead of rotation.

PS: And here a tri for the flipped hair. I hope it works.

hairtoru.tri

Edited by Andy14
17 hours ago, Andy14 said:

@Ezarr Try this nif's.

With mirror on x-axis: hairtoru_mirror.nif

With mirror  on x-axis and a little smother boneweight:  hairtoru_mirror_bone_fix.nif

FYI -  in OS -> Top right window -> right click on mesh -> Mirror X. Done in this case. ;)

But be careful with other skinned meshes. It is best to create a duplicate first and delete all bones from the duplicate. Then flip and copy bone weight again. Before copy bone weight, make the original mesh as reference. So, as described above, only use mirror instead of rotation.

PS: And here a tri for the flipped hair. I hope it works.

hairtoru.tri 380.92 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you so much, bro!

• Ezarr changed the title to [REQUEST] [SOLVED] Help editing a mesh
  • 9 months later...

Bumping this a bit, because this was the best reference or tutorial I found, but I'm honestly not grokking the instructions. Genuinely surprised I couldn't find any video tutorial for something which seems like it would come up often?

I just want to take a mesh which is right- or left-handed and mirror it (to make it symmetrical, so ending up with two meshes). Obviously you need to delete the old bones and add the matching counterpart bones on the other side, but how do you copy the weights?

EDIT: With the [Solved] tag on this I'm probably not going to get much of a reply. Better if I take this to tech support instead.

Edited by SmedleyDButler
9 hours ago, Andy14 said:

As always in Outfit Studio - with Copy Bone Weights.

This I know, but I seem to not be doing anything correctly when it comes to this. I put a little more detail into what I can't seem to figure out (and started a new thread) here:

(you can reply here or there, all the same to me).

• 10 months later...

I realize it might be a longshot posting here since the thread is pretty old, but I'm stuck and I can't find any other guides for this online.

I want to mirror flip a hairstyle from a mod for Skyrim SE. I've followed Andy14's instructions for flipping a hair mesh, but it doesn't appear properly in-game. I edited the mesh, exported it to NIF with reference, and placed it into the mod's folder, overwriting the original. But in-game both the original and flipped hair models appear on my character at the same time, on top of each other.

I have basically zero experience in Outfit Studio or any other modding or modeling tool, so I have no idea what's going wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 hours ago, Kreinsamer said:

I realize it might be a longshot posting here since the thread is pretty old, but I'm stuck and I can't find any other guides for this online.

I want to mirror flip a hairstyle from a mod for Skyrim SE. I've followed Andy14's instructions for flipping a hair mesh, but it doesn't appear properly in-game. I edited the mesh, exported it to NIF with reference, and placed it into the mod's folder, overwriting the original. But in-game both the original and flipped hair models appear on my character at the same time, on top of each other.

I have basically zero experience in Outfit Studio or any other modding or modeling tool, so I have no idea what's going wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure which hair you're trying to flip but it's likely it has both a hair and hairline (which will generally have the same name followed by HL) nif and you will need to flip and export them both separately. 

2 hours ago, SpyVsPie said:

Not sure which hair you're trying to flip but it's likely it has both a hair and hairline (which will generally have the same name followed by HL) nif and you will need to flip and export them both separately. 

That was it. Thank you so much.