[mod] Regula Magistri

6 hours ago, MCfan said:

I just grant it to courtiers. Much better to hold more counties with cities and temples in them paying taxes and levies to me then trying to hold every temple and castle.

That depends on the province doesn't it. This changes if you have a holy site, or a massive tax modifier. Much better to have all of Paris, than 3 random counties. 

11 hours ago, MCfan said:

I just grant it to courtiers. Much better to hold more counties with cities and temples in them paying taxes and levies to me then trying to hold every temple and castle.

What if I just create the new Regula Magistri faith and change the Lay Clergy into Theocratic. I think it would be easier to manage temples using Theocratic doctrine instead of Lay Clergy but I have no idea if it will have any problems or not.

Edit: I am gonna try this in my current playthrough.

I just released the Keeper of Soul then tried to give away my Head of Faith title to one of my vassal (because you can't create new faith while being a Head of Faith) then I create the new faith changing Lay Clergy into Theocratic. Let's see if it will cause any (bug, technical) problems or not.

Another reason that I think Theocratic would be better than Lay Clergy (in term of gameplay) is because Regula Magistri doesn't have access to Great Holy War, unless Warmonger Doctrine is used (but Warmonger is pain in the ass to manage, lol) so the Temporal Head of Faith (which needed to be changed in order to change Lay Clergy into Theocratic) is less useful. Only reason for Lay Clergy is Roleplay purpose I guess.

Also, (might be a bug on my end tho because if I remember correctly there were available in previous versions) idk why Regular Magistri doesn't have access to Armed Pilgrimages and Struggle and Submission tenets anymore, it would go well with Lay Clergy + Temporal Head of Faith doctrtines so that you can declare Great Holy War.

Edited by variaNTR

Armed pilgrimages/Great Holy War seems like it may be at odds, thematically, with what ban is setting up:

Features
    - Add Magistri Submission Tradition
        - Focuses on social attributes. General idea is to make it easier to manage vassals/counties but make it harder to wage war and defend against intrigue.
        - Is added to the player characters culture after freeing the keeper of souls, note, no check for whether player is the head of Culture (yet), still need figure it out the right check.
        - Has the following effects:
            - Decreases stress gain AND increases stress loss
            - AI changes (more zeal, less bold etc), makes them less likely to wage war on each other (or foreign lands)
            - Characters are more likely to be content
            - Isolation tradition parameters, courtiers are less likely to leave and marraige is harder between this culture and others.
            - Increases county control, development and opinion
            - Also addes some negative effects, which are knight effectivness malus, -3 prowess and hostile/personal scheme resistance down by 30%. Pretty major negative effects but as the positives are really good there has to be a strong downside.

Basically, making conquest through strength of arms less a focus and subterfuge moreso. Its flavor, either is viable but not something that is congruent.

I've been mulling over a way to assimilate people into your dynasty. I found a command that lets you set a characters dynasty but havent tinkered with it yet. Thoughts are, you spend gold + piety to incorporate target into your dynasty. Target spends substantial prestige to convert (renouncing familial ties is not pretty), but gains a helping of piety. In theory it works, but thematically it seems lacking. Assuming its possible code wise, yes we can do this and yes it makes sense in a game sense. But why does it make sense for the Keeper of Souls/the Magister to do this. What affect would/should it have? Feels like that should be a personal scheme, but its difficult for me to justify not spamming more fascinare instead...

On 1/31/2023 at 4:11 AM, Umgath said:

One more question. After the switch to a heir I don't have a Domina anymore. My main wife is just Phalex. How to create a Domina?

You need to wait some time before your heir inherit from the "spell book" as "birth right" (only if the heir is adult). Once done, you can make them domina (if they're still alive, paelex as a massive nerf of health).

11 hours ago, dustbeen43 said:

You need to wait some time before your heir inherit from the "spell book" as "birth right" (only if the heir is adult). Once done, you can make them domina (if they're still alive, paelex as a massive nerf of health).

My heir was already adult so I've almost immediately got a bunch of events related to possibility to convert Orbas to Paelexes, enchant new females and etc. However I still don't have a Domina and have no idea on how to create one.

11 hours ago, Umgath said:

My heir was already adult so I've almost immediately got a bunch of events related to possibility to convert Orbas to Paelexes, enchant new females and etc. However I still don't have a Domina and have no idea on how to create one.

Try swapping out who's your primary wife, that might trigger it. It should happen by itself though. Could be a bug. 

11 hours ago, Umgath said:

if your primary wife holds at least a duchy you can interact with her to change her from a paelex to a domina

2 hours ago, byehi said:

if your primary wife holds at least a duchy you can interact with her to change her from a paelex to a domina

Should be county as I recall. If your wife holds a temple, barony, or city as their highest title they'll be "stuck" at Mulsa and you'll need to reshuffle wives(or grant her a County+ tier title).

If they're a Paelex already and not able to become a Domina, look at what titles they currently control. Just because a County+ title is needed to become one, doesn't mean they still hold a County+ title any longer.

On 2/2/2023 at 4:45 PM, Monedeath said:

Should be county as I recall. If your wife holds a temple, barony, or city as their highest title they'll be "stuck" at Mulsa and you'll need to reshuffle wives(or grant her a County+ tier title).

If they're a Paelex already and not able to become a Domina, look at what titles they currently control. Just because a County+ title is needed to become one, doesn't mean they still hold a County+ title any longer.

My primary wife has Kingdom title as primary title and a bunch of other titles.

I've tried to change wife to another one with Kingdom title but she still remains just a Paelex.

Does anybody has idea about what exactly (what event or place in code) was supposed to change Paelex into Domina (except the initial Domina creation and an event when a Paelex and a Domina swap roles).

Edited by Umgath
On 2/3/2023 at 6:41 PM, Umgath said:

Does anybody has idea about what exactly (what event or place in code) was supposed to change Paelex into Domina (except the initial Domina creation and an event when a Paelex and a Domina swap roles).

To move from paelex to domina you need to have at least rank 2 of the speel book (the trait "cenobite" is the rank1). If you're stuck to level 1 it's because you don't have enough spouse. If you care about the children you have with your spouses, just use "Fascinare" on old ladies across your empire or neighboor duchies to make them paelex. Once you have like 8 or 10 spouses, you should be able to use  more interaction through the book to women.

Been playing around with the mod, and the new additions are nice.

Holy Orders are wacky as fuck:

-male martial traditions: The Grandmistress is useless, as she can't participate in war, i propose granting them a shieldmaiden equivalent, so they can fight in wars before taking the female army decision.

-holy orders only have male courtiers (usually), which i imagine is an engine limitation, though this is useful, as you can use them as commanders/knights until you get the female army, what is weird, is that they too get the mulsa trait, and all its interactions. If possible make it so they only get female courtiers (with some kind of shieldmaiden trait), otherwise put some checks so the men don't get the mulsa trait.

inside the spoiler a wall of thoughts, that could become ideas for someone.

Spoiler

ideas that could be fun:

-Allow you to marry those Grandmistresses once you are the head of faith <- make it so they can become paelices or an alternative title, that way you get an incentive to get more holy orders instead of just a very big one, which is useful if you use fascinare on far away empires/kingdoms so they can use them to not implode in seconds.

-Make the AI send some daughters/ make some courtiers volunteer to the holy orders <- so they get populated and once in a while you get a Grandmistress you know.

-Once you are head of faith, add a modifier to the magister similar to the paelex one, but scaling with the number of holy orders adding health and prowess or something like that, as they are the militant arm of the faith.

MaA ideas:

-War Poledancers!!! <- Joking aside, Pikewomen and heavy cav, would be nice, so you can have all types of MaA as female only.

-make the holy sites that grant prowess to all members of the faith (aka Lesbos), enhance the magistrian units to be equivalent to their male counterparts. <- All Famuli also includes the peasants, and Spirit of Amazonia, does not make me think of weaker than men.

-Make a special regiment of MaA for the magister, akin to the House Guard MaA.

- Horse Archers with archers as an extra counter <- Combines horse archers and heavy cavalry counters, and only countered by crossbows and chu-ko-nu archers

- Stats better than Armored horsemen <- is it possible to change the stats depending on traditions/Innovations available? so if you take Chanson de Geste/Eastern Roman Legacy they become better than Gendarmes/Cataphracts, that or make them straight up better than Gendarmes directly.

- Cost a hefty amount of gold equivalent to the Gendarmes and an equal cost in piety <- gold represents the cost of the equipment and piety to imply that they are powered by the magister's power, akin to using mutare corpus to fortify their bodies on them. if you are feeling abusive, make their stats equal to war elephants.

- the idea is to have a unit empowered by the magister, dedicated to his defence, a la Varangian guard, but way simpler to code, and less beards, unless that is your jam, i am not about to judge (that is a lie, of course i am going to)

Holy Sites:

-this is a personal preference, but a set of holy sites in Iberia (Santiago, Ipuskoa, Toledo, Cordoba, Barcelona) would be nice, so you can play the Fate of Iberia with sex cult flavor, all of them are existing holy sites, except barcelona which is present (in code) but not active in any religion.

-an Indian/tibetan set

-a northwestern europe, using tengri/turumism holy sites.

Artifacts:

-Make the Book an actual artifact, which you need to start everything, and you better not lose. <- actual benefits are religion locked.

-Every Magister that dies, empowers the book a bit further <- basically empowering the keeper of souls.

-just for the hilarity of it, as a random event, one of the Holy orders gets the "holy prepuce" (your father's or grandpa's mummified dick), do not notify the player, let them find it if they look.

Interactions:

-some of these are a bit of a throwback from arglwydd(the CK2 predecessor)

-Abice Maritus <- Instead of turning them to a monk, make the husband a sacrifice to the magister's power, applying a much lessened version of mutare corpus to the magister.

-for married mulsas on your realm, when using the domitans tribunal on them, apply the above on the husband.

-something something Martialis <- Turns Mulsa into Warriors of the Faith, granting a bonus to Martial and prowess, mutually exclusive with paelex, so you can do something useful with the spares, but without resorting to Contubernalis, also a good alternative for holy order members.

-Fertility Reduction, useful for consolidating traits, and reducing the children tab from a few hundred to "just" a couple tens, usable on paelexes.

-rescind Paelex, usable on unlanded Paelexes, turns them into Orbas while you still live, mostly used on 60+ paelexes, that end up unlanded, more thematic than just divorcing them.

-Force Abdication, Force a paelex/mulsa to abdicate to her daughter/s, otherwise you end up with a geriatric Harem, all strong and smart as hell, but still... <- Optional, add some of the mothers stats to the daughter +10% of the highest stat.

-One of Us, only usable on Daughters/sisters of the Magister, makes them members of your House, useful for when you really want that foreign queen to marry you (she was hot, so hot i overlooked she wasn't my sister), but she will only accept a Matrilienal Marriage, your daughters will end up benefiting from you dynasty perks.

-Sacrifice a brother/son/uncle to restore yourself, mostly for when your Doctor (and lover) decides cutting your junk will cure your cold, (how a magistrian thinks cutting the magister's junk is a consideration escapes me, as if you do, you will have a pissed magister, several Paelexes, and however many members there are on the holy orders, all gunning for your head)

these are unlikely to be possible:

-Fascinare Equivalent for males, which neuters them (equivalent to eunuch) and makes them accept his wife's infidelity, marking the children as his own, but you can later claim them for your Dynasty/house and religion. <- so you can set time bombs. This should ideally not change the religion, but remove all penalties, that way you can marry those daughters even though you are of different faiths. Should work as Magistrian Syncretism.

-Get me those lands, Used on a neighboring ruler, Paelexes/Mulsas will wage war against said ruler, Ideally if they won they would present the ruler(if female) or Wife/Daughter (if male) for a domitans tribunal. Doubly Ideally, they would instead plot to the same end result, a new Paelex and some more terrain, while keeping your piety untouched, other than to start it all.

-If and ONLY IF you are the Vassal of a Magistrian Empress and you are the Pontifex Carnalis, you can turn her into your domina, and turn all her other vassals into paelexes. this way you can have a shield against foreign aggression.

uh... and that is all, probably too much, but whatever.

Edited by Darkimana

This may be a known bug though I haven't found mention of it in my search through this thread.  Concerning eye coloring, when I charm a woman they gain the pink eye color, however if I later dominate/marry them they lose that eye color aside from your initial spouse (if you have one) when first using the book.  Is this a known bug?

On 2/6/2023 at 8:36 AM, CashinCheckin said:

When I inherited a new higher title, all of my spouses except the primary were removed. I received a popup for each one saying "Spouse Invalid: Your faith or culture's values mean [spousename] is no longer your spouse." But my faith or culture did not change at all.

Higher title?

Did your capital change? If so, what are the culture traits there? (Just a hunch)

On 2/4/2023 at 7:22 PM, dustbeen43 said:

To move from paelex to domina you need to have at least rank 2 of the speel book (the trait "cenobite" is the rank1). If you're stuck to level 1 it's because you don't have enough spouse. If you care about the children you have with your spouses, just use "Fascinare" on old ladies across your empire or neighboor duchies to make them paelex. Once you have like 8 or 10 spouses, you should be able to use  more interaction through the book to women.

No. I don't see such option. Is it supposed to be in the same menu section as Fascinare and other book-related stuff?

* My character is Exarch (level 4 book skill)

* My character is adult

* Main wife has Kindgom, Duchy and Country titles

* Main wife is a Paelex

* I still have no clue on how to convert her to Domina :(

Edited by Umgath

Update: in the current mod version (0.101) file regula_character_interactions.txt has interaction "regula_promote_paelex_interaction" commented out (disabled) with explaining comment: "No longer required, as concubines aren't a thing anymore". So there indeed was an interaction to convert Paelex to Domina but there is no such thing anymore.

@ban10 could you please explain why this was disabled?

Edited by Umgath
On 2/8/2023 at 7:33 PM, Umgath said:

Update: in the current mod version (0.101) file regula_character_interactions.txt has interaction "regula_promote_paelex_interaction" commented out (disabled) with explaining comment: "No longer required, as concubines aren't a thing anymore". So there indeed was an interaction to convert Paelex to Domina but there is no such thing anymore.

@ban10 could you please explain why this was disabled?

That sounds like a change that Bobbily made. Paelices haven't been concubines for a long long time. If Ban10 wanted to add that interaction back it'd probably be a better idea to recode it from scratch given how hacky the stuff Bobbily was doing back then was and how much has changed with the mod since then.

On 2/10/2023 at 6:32 PM, Umgath said:

I guess that this change is not necessarily a recent change by @ban10 bust something much older.

So it's leaves the open question on how "normally" with current code version a Paelex is supposed to be converted into Domina.

Yeah, This seems to be an old change, I'll have a look at the whole Domina/Paelex thing. Ideally the only difference should be that the Domina is your primary spouse.
For your case, try turning someone else into your primary spouse then turn the original wife into primary again, should make her a Domina.

Finally solved the missing Domina problem.

It turns out that this was caused by mod conflict: I had mini mod that lets Domina to offer you women to lay with (mod from @Randah ).

In that mod it used `quarterly_playable_pulse` on_anction. The problem that by mistake that mini-mod effectively disabled all executions of "quarterly_playable_pulse" by putting the execution condition into the on_action itself. So this also disabled all periodic maintenance events for the main "Regua Magistri" mod.

Fix: move

trigger = {
        has_trait = domina
    }

from regula_offering_on_action.txt to the first event in regula_offering_event.txt.

With that "quarterly_playable_pulse" started to work fine and I've finally got a Domina :D