About Nemesis Behavior Generator: I don't really trust it (if you're interested, hear me out)

On 11/27/2020 at 5:13 AM, Scrab said:

I have 2 custom mods in MO2, 1 called "FNIS", the other called "Nemesis Output" and have Nemesis throw all its files that usually end up in Overwrite thrown into Nemesis output and all FNIS generated files that are usually dumped into Overwrite dumped into FNIS:

Hide contents

image.png.8fd25cdca4785b875feed666e30776bf.png

analogue for FNIS 

I notice in your screenshot it's not checked. I assume while you were trying to get things going it was enabled?

Assuming it was that's the same way I have mine set up. No idea why you have issues. Sorry.

15 minutes ago, RGB22111 said:

I notice in your screenshot it's not checked. I assume while you were trying to get things going it was enabled?

When I was doing the Screenshot I had FNIS enabled. Not sure why I chose Nemesis as an example there instead of FNIS

When I enabled Nemesis I also enabled my Nemesis Output mod

It has bugs true, sometimes it doesn't do what it's supposed to. also true. but this is also the case for FNIS. The thing is, Fores stopped working on FNIS. while Nemesis is WIP.

TL;DR There's hope for Nemesis, there's none on FNIS and we only have 2 options.

Unless you make one.

23 hours ago, Scrab said:

When I was doing the Screenshot I had FNIS enabled. Not sure why I chose Nemesis as an example there instead of FNIS

When I enabled Nemesis I also enabled my Nemesis Output mod

Ok. One thing I had not thought of. Are you using Archery Gameplay Overhaul or another anim mod that effects bow animations? I ask because if I recall correctly AGO requires a separate patch alongside Nemesis to work correctly.

10 hours ago, RGB22111 said:

Are you using Archery Gameplay Overhaul or another anim mod that effects bow animations?

The only Animation mod Im currently using that alters Bow Animations is Pretty Combat Animations and no, disabling that one didnt fix it either

13 hours ago, Scrab said:

The only Animation mod Im currently using that alters Bow Animations is Pretty Combat Animations and no, disabling that one didnt fix it either

Odd. I have no idea what could be causing that issue. Silly question that's probably more trouble than it's worth to test. Does it happen if FNIS and NEMISIS are the only things active?

55 minutes ago, RGB22111 said:

Odd. I have no idea what could be causing that issue. Silly question that's probably more trouble than it's worth to test. Does it happen if FNIS and NEMISIS are the only things active?

You should *not* have both active at the same time.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wary of changing to Nemesis because it looked complex setting up, but my experience since has been positive.

As an MO2 user, it is not actually complex setting up.

Yes, Nemesis does have some issues.  Some BSAs are ignored when running Nemesis. For instance, Fishburger67's "Love Slaves" mod did not register until the BSA was unpacked. I reported this to the Nemesis author on GitHub.  So it's important to monitor the list and check what it is doing.

It's a bit prone to falling over around the 53% progress stage, so it may take 3-4 tries to get the results. 

I don't use the CGO, MBO etc. But eating and drinking animations, Alternate Conversation, etc (and 500 other mods) in my load out work fine with Nemesis.

A few mods now demand Nemesis over FNIS so, with Fore retired from FNIS, we do need to move on, I suppose.  I did run FNIS side by side for a while, with no problems. But I no longer use FNIS (I never use creature anims). And with DAR around, I don't bother with PCEA any more.  

If Nemesis is to come out of Alpha it would be better if we used it and reported issues as we go. It will (hopefully) improve.

Knowing the above, I have no other problems using Nemesis. In fact, all good.  Certainly no worse than FNIS; after all both have their issues I suppose.

Hope my view is of interest.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 9:15 AM, Bluegunk said:

I was wary of changing to Nemesis because it looked complex setting up, but my experience since has been positive.

As an MO2 user, it is not actually complex setting up.

Yes, Nemesis does have some issues.  Some BSAs are ignored when running Nemesis. For instance, Fishburger67's "Love Slaves" mod did not register until the BSA was unpacked. I reported this to the Nemesis author on GitHub.  So it's important to monitor the list and check what it is doing.

It's a bit prone to falling over around the 53% progress stage, so it may take 3-4 tries to get the results. 

I don't use the CGO, MBO etc. But eating and drinking animations, Alternate Conversation, etc (and 500 other mods) in my load out work fine with Nemesis.

A few mods now demand Nemesis over FNIS so, with Fore retired from FNIS, we do need to move on, I suppose.  I did run FNIS side by side for a while, with no problems. But I no longer use FNIS (I never use creature anims). And with DAR around, I don't bother with PCEA any more.  

If Nemesis is to come out of Alpha it would be better if we used it and reported issues as we go. It will (hopefully) improve.

Knowing the above, I have no other problems using Nemesis. In fact, all good.  Certainly no worse than FNIS; after all both have their issues I suppose.

Hope my view is of interest.

i lurked here for a long time but still tried to understand the 2 mods. i tried nemesis on skyrim and i tried it with fnis as well. both attempts were on se and i only had some minor issues. all the nemesis mods work as advertised and only give me more fun like cgo and mbo and stuff. im only sad that the only way to have my cake and eat it too is to run both programs and risk having my LL mods conflicts cuz i still use fnis. im with u tho, i also had a mostly positive experience. with how it works now i hope it rushes to beta soon so it can take over animation modding for this game cuz stiff animations are what holds this game back

• 2 weeks later...

So I lost access to my account :/ Which was backed up by throwaway emails that I lost access too now as well.
I built a new PC and am very happy with my new Skyrim SE set up. After reading through some of what everyone added and also the Nemesis based mods support pages, I still wound up sticking with FNIS.

I've been tracking Nemesis for a while, and I still don't really like it (personal opinion) however, I do understand and respect the fact that it's a powerful and somewhat reliable system for what it's worth. But I still think, based on personal testing and set ups, that FNIS is superior right now simple for how little issues it causes and it's compatibility with existing and popular mods, unlike Nemesis. 

I do hope Nemesis gets a big update soon, whatever comes next for it might push it over that barrier I have for not wanting to trust it. We'll have to see.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 11:27 PM, BAB PEEG said:

I used Nemesis for a while and it was working great, scenes loaded faster and it was all good, then suddenly it just broke. After trying the new version it gave me a unicode error so I had to go back to FNIS.

yeah, that's what I was kind of getting at when I made the original post.

Unfortunately, I didn't share the same experience as you, but I did expect that to happen at some point.
Nemesis is a really good tool, don't get me wrong, but because it's not a complete tool with mods that rely on it with no exceptions? That's why I don't like it at this point, personally.