Newbie post! ...Before I start up, how's my mod folder?

Ok, guys, I'm not necessarily new to modding games, been doing it for years, but.... I'm HELLA new to Sims 3.  I've only opened it a time or two to test for CTD's as I try for my initial setup.

I know that 'load orders' are a thing, for example, for many games.... The order in which the game client loads assets, and so forth... And if this asset order loads in a way the game doesn't like, problems ensue, lol.  I'm NOT sure at all if Sims 3 has trouble with the order it loads assets.  But, I'm trying my best to read, research, and learn best practices in order to have a stable game.

I've followed the steam link, read up on NRaas and Kinky World (note;  Novice level understanding of these mods so far), and have generally tried to organize my mod folder but I'm NOT YET READY to merge CC yet for the Sims 3.  I don't know if I'll actually LIKE my CC I've downloaded, if it's going to stay, or if it's going to cause trouble yet... I'll get to merging.  BUT.

Before I get too deep in this, I'd really like to ask you veteran players how my basic Mod/Package folder setup looks, before I begin.  Here it is:

image.png.71cbb8c0c217cf8dcf0122840361b4ac.png

Now, my question here, really, is, does the Sims 3 read each folder from the top-down, in terms of loading assets?

And, if so, should I use a numbering scheme in order to control the order that these mod folders load?  

I.e., is it more important that NRAAS loads BEFORE Kinky World, or is it more important that Kinky World loads before NRAAS?  Naturally, Kinky World should load before it's animations, I'm sure, but the simple alphabetical order of those folders will handle that.

Here's what it might look like if NRAAS should load before other mods:

image.png.697ddcffb181678ee748da3d42168cad.png

Note that now, my basic gameplay fixes and changes load before Kinky World does in this setup, since I've controlled the order in which the mods load (again, if this even is a thing in Sims 3).  But does this even matter guys n gals? 

?

Yep, I did... Thank you!  Those pics above, are of my Mods folder INSIDE that framework :D

I just wonder if anyone knows if the order the mods load into the game inside that framework, matter, but ty!

EDIT:  I suspect numbering these folders isn't too smart, though it may not be a part of my performance issue.  I am in fact pushing this game to it's limits I think in terms of expansions and stuff packs (I'm using all of them... Yes, I know that's dumb, lol).

But, I'm gonna try with just the folders and not naming them so that they load in the order that they show up.  Not sure how that'll go.  If it goes better, I'll report to everyone.

7 hours ago, merctime said:

Sims 3 has trouble with the order it loads assets

The games core loads first, then installs from Downloads and DCBackup/Merge, then the Mods Folders.

Last in overrides whatever was loaded before it - the priority of the load is set in the Resource.cfg file for the Mods Folder/subfolders.

Mod/Package folder setup looks

Looks good. I'd check the KW topics and threads for whether one or some of the KW should be at a higher level.

I.e., is it more important that NRAAS loads BEFORE Kinky World

No.

The subfolders within the Mods folder have a priority.

Everything within those subfolders  is (for all practical purposes) the same priority.

If you have an object loaded at game initialization, then that object is modified  as the loading continues, it acts like an overlay or layer.  If only a part of that original object is modified - only that part is replaced with the new package. As new packages are read into the system - if they are part of a previous loaded or modified package -  the result is a cumulative composite with each new modification having president over the previous... layers - so to speak. Most are replacements in whole for an object.

So completely different things like NRaas, Clothing, Scripts, etc. load to different areas.  Unless... you add a modification to those individual things and place it higher in priority.

Some - place KW in the Overrides folder making it the last to load and therefore at the top of the que.  My understanding. 

Other than that - read through the threads of what Clydie linked to (Framework) - there is a detailed discussion on load order there.

50 minutes ago, merctime said:

I suspect numbering these folders isn't too smart

That's fine... Great if you sort by name - keeps things listed as you like them.  You like to have your "ducks" in a row and organized (everyone really should).  The game doesn't look at that.  It's the packages internal numbering and the priority of that folder (load order). One of the reasons you check for "duplicate" packages in the same folder - the system becomes "confused" as to what came first - the chicken or the egg? - when dealing with the same species.  But a higher priority loads later and overrides. - no confusion. 

In other words - if not too wordy already - Two of the same packages cannot share the same folder - whatever is in a higher priority folder will override,

Most is discussed in the Framework Threads and it's been a while so I myself must refer to those threads to be accurate. 

Bro, I TRULY appreciate this, it's awesome instruction, thank you!  I'm glad I got all of that cleared up.  It's nice to know that 'numbering' the folders (or using like !!! or ~~ in front of thier names) doesn't affect how the Sims reads and loads them.  So, basically a waste, but still allowing us to organize.  

Now that both yourself and Clydie have mentioned this, perhaps I SHOULD go over that framework thread and do more than just skim it for immediately useful info... And by that I mean, actually read it :sweat_smile:

Clydie, and Non-Sequitur, thanks guys!  You both rock on toast xD  Have fun, happy gaming!

The actual concept here of load order isn't anything like the creation engine if that's the reference point. If that was the case, you can bet NRaas would have created a 'LOOT' style plug-in.

In simple terms the Sims 3 'builds' the game using a predefined set of rules, scanning and loading anything using specific flags as it goes from one function to the other till finished and lights the fuse. Merging packages speeds up this process because the game engine doesn't have to spend as much time 'fetching' a file to process over and over again.

There is only one reference to 'LOAD ORDER' in the package format of the Sims 3 - the Override Folder. This is why it exists.

I understand one is trying to refine the loading process of the Sims 3 by anticipating the files selection process, but at the speed computers run today Merging packages is more effective than putting them into any formal order.

A bit of KW trivia:

It used to load along with all other packages, but OnikiKay figured out this created problems in the scripts so made adjustments.

Now KW will load parts of it's functions last, as evidenced by the pause/injecting kinky when the game goes 'live'.

5 hours ago, landess said:

There is only one reference to 'LOAD ORDER' in the package format of the Sims 3 - the Override Folder. This is why it exists.

Yes indeedy Venerable Ancient One...

However, if you have absolutely nothing to do...

You can add more subfolders to the Mods Folder - then go into the Resource.cfg and add those new folders - giving each of them any priority you'd like. 

The reason the Overrides folder is top-dog is because it has the top priority 1000.  You can have 999 different priorities - each assigned to a different subfolder within Mods (why?). They will initially load in inverse priority order - highest priority number loads last as a final override. 

Why anyone or game would need 999 levels of loading beats me.  20 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag. 

But, this too - can be done.  Something about Excessive Anal Leakage - comes to mind.

You really only need two (2) subfolders in Mods - Packages & Overrides.

Usually... If the creator of the package tells you to put it somewhere - put it there.

Otherwise it's just another package. 

1 hour ago, Non-sequitur said:

20 pounds of crap in a 2 pound bag.

Yeah, this is the problem with the creation engine used by Bethesda, ancient technology to be sure and one of the main reasons a lot of players have become familiar with the concept of load order. Stacking the deck is one thing, but that is more akin to building a house of cards.....  One card out of place and the whole thing comes crashing down.