Animal Mansion 4??? (Dev Thread)

4 hours ago, lightspeed77 said:

In terms of similarity to AM+, are we able to complete through all the animal fetch quests and then the side characters stories will further develop with updates? Or will animal acquiring/progression and character story/relationships be updated bit by bit, sorry if this dosent make sense xD 

Bit by bit. Mostly these 0.x releases are about me testing out different parts and making sure the fundamental things work as I expect. Once all that groundwork is laid I can start focusing on the story and characters and whatever.

2 hours ago, DonQuiWho said:

FWIW, any chance you might consider (at some point) adding a link to the mod start, or even just one (maybe random) task , as being an outcome from Simple Slavery?  

Would add some variety and spice, and ppl wouldn't have to select it as an SS option if they didn't want to ...

Is that something that makes sense? Most of the stuff I've heard has been about mods starting SS - not SS starting mods.

If it makes sense and isn't unreasonably difficult then I don't see why not. As part of some sort of optional addon (a separate ESP) that adds some SS or whatever stuff.

Did I read the earlier posts right? Are you gonna turn Animal Mansion into something of a kind of framework type mod? If so, that's pretty cool as there's a few quests and such that I wanna implement and make but I don't know how to make quests yet, haha. And I'd love to make these quest mods with Animal Mansion in mind.

7 hours ago, MisutaOtoko said:

Did I read the earlier posts right? Are you gonna turn Animal Mansion into something of a kind of framework type mod? If so, that's pretty cool as there's a few quests and such that I wanna implement and make but I don't know how to make quests yet, haha. And I'd love to make these quest mods with Animal Mansion in mind.

It'll still be 90% a regular, story-driven mod, but the intention is that it should be easy to create a plugin that adds more random in-Mansion and/or radiant quests to the quest pool (the one the mod draws from when you ask Thaena for something to do).

On 1/19/2022 at 10:19 AM, tasairis said:

Nothing in particular. For the head/hair stuff I "converted" the SE files back to LE, which seems to have done the job. In the ESP there are some things that are known to be incompatible, but while I don't remember exactly what they are, I believe they were with uncommon form types so I'm fairly sure I'm not using them.

Thanks, that's helpful, I'll look into the form types ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Animal Mansion Extended
  • Animal Mansion 4
  • Animal Mansion Evolved
  • Animal Mansion 4: A New Hump
  • Animal Mansion: Tokyo Drift
  • Animal Mansion: Reloaded
  • Animal Mansion: Sisterhood
  • Animal Mansion!?
  • Animal Mansion Ultimate
  • Animal Mansion 3.33: You Can (Not) Replay
  • Animal Mansion Rebuilt ✔

Because I think I can do better with "AMR" than its previous owner.

30 minutes ago, N.Gamma said:

I think the name is unimportant. The main thing is that the mod will be / is good!

By the way, I can't wait to continue the translation.

I have a really hard time naming things because they're so unimportant.

Um, yeah, about translations... I'm making some rather substantial changes. Like, rewriting good chunks of the story. Because the next release is going to be 1.0 alpha and it will have more than just the client stuff and another main quest or two.

So I'm sorry but I'm going to be creating a lot of work for you.

6 hours ago, tasairis said:

Um, yeah, about translations... I'm making some rather substantial changes. Like, rewriting good chunks of the story. Because the next release is going to be 1.0 alpha and it will have more than just the client stuff and another main quest or two.

Interesting, how extensive will the rewrite be? Because the story so far has been pretty good (although the start of the horse quest feels really clunky) 

11 hours ago, tasairis said:

Oh that's not a problem, I even like to do it.

11 hours ago, tasairis said:

So does that mean we'll be skipping right from 0.4.2 to 1.0? I remember you were planning on going a bit more incrementally, but had some changes in design since then.

16 hours ago, marktwin said:

Interesting, how extensive will the rewrite be? Because the story so far has been pretty good (although the start of the horse quest feels really clunky) 

I had two basic stories for the mod: you've played one for this alpha, I'm using the other for the actual mod.

Now they aren't completely different from each other. You still find Thaena and she still needs help, you still recruit Jesper and Jala, you still gather animals over time. But the other story is a little better at supporting one big change: speeding up. I'm not happy with how slow the progression is right now - how long it takes to introduce the core NPCs, when clients visit the Mansion, when the 2.0 changes could start to land, etc. I also wanted to rewrite [redacted]'s personality because I painted myself into a corner that was going to be a problem later.

10 minutes ago, tasairis said:

I had two basic stories for the mod: you've played one for this alpha, I'm using the other for the actual mod.

Now they aren't completely different from each other. You still find Thaena and she still needs help, you still recruit Jesper and Jala, you still gather animals over time. But the other story is a little better at supporting one big change: speeding up. I'm not happy with how slow the progression is right now - how long it takes to introduce the core NPCs, when clients visit the Mansion, when the 2.0 changes could start to land, etc. I also wanted to rewrite [redacted]'s personality because I painted myself into a corner that was going to be a problem later.

Sounds interesting. Will we discover who is the mysterious person you're referring to in the next update?

12 hours ago, Ramien said:

So does that mean we'll be skipping right from 0.4.2 to 1.0? I remember you were planning on going a bit more incrementally, but had some changes in design since then.

Yes. These 0.x were about testing out stuff, finding problems, and whatever else I wanted to get out before people installing the mod for real. So I can break things without feeling bad. 1.0 isn't set to be any particular point in the story, just a time when I don't think I need to do "frequent" updates that break things.

1.0 is looking to be the animals up to the spiders, associated replay quests, Jesper and Jala, the Mansion at about half-capacity for clients, and however many other non-Mansion quests feel appropriate to start with.

AE is nothing more than SE with Fishing and Creation Club that breaks mods.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that SE mods do not work for AE other than Bethesda artificially deciding to push the creation club that way.

It is likely that along the way this mod releases as AE only but also just as likely that it stays as SE only.

The only saving grace for AE is actually that SE is not sold anymore.

Edited by JesusKreist
6 hours ago, JesusKreist said:

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever that SE mods do not work for AE other than Bethesda artificially deciding to push the creation club that way.

It is likely that along the way this mod releases as AE only but also just as likely that it stays as SE only.

That's wrong. The guy who runs SKSE explained what happened - with AE they updated from Visual Studio 2015 to Visual Studio 2019 to allow Xbox Live achievement compatibility. Because 2019 compiles differently then 2015 does, this broke SKSE and all mods that rely on it as the compiler no longer looks in the right place.

11 hours ago, JesusKreist said:

5 hours ago, Chazman89 said:

That's wrong. The guy who runs SKSE explained what happened - with AE they updated from Visual Studio 2015 to Visual Studio 2019 to allow Xbox Live achievement compatibility. Because 2019 compiles differently then 2015 does, this broke SKSE and all mods that rely on it as the compiler no longer looks in the right place.

You're both right because you're talking about two different things that are both called "AE".

16 hours ago, Chazman89 said:

If you really believe that was the reasoning behind the decision you are woefully clueless on how bethesda and other big corporations work.

That Xbox achievements are supposed to be compatible is a side benefit and not the main reason.

That is called "Money".