Animal Mansion 4??? (Dev Thread)

I played both SE and LE versions of this test mod some time ago. And I must say that I like the changes made.

Spoiler

- Getting rid of this annoying building system, but I know there are people who like it.

- The horse dealer story is good and fits the <lenny face> region

- The way of obtaining the wolf (seems more ok than in the original version "after the Companions party if I remember correctly")

- The scene with the bear chasing Temba made my day (smile): D (This was not the case in the original mod)

Also, I am eagerly awaiting the next version with the next animal and client system. ❤️

Good work!

Fantastic work so far. I'm really loving the improved dialog over the older versions. This one definitely feels more realistic in how the conversations flow.

One suggestion I have is in the 2nd mission (I think) where you come back from talking with the jarl of falkreath and catch thaena doing the deed, if the player chooses to tell thaena that they have never done it with a creature before, there should be some more dialog for thaena to convince the player to try having sex with bailey, like for example if the player chooses to roleplay as the naive prude in the beginning. Thaena can talk about how great a dog's penis feels etc... and how to let it properly mount you (She's rather experienced in this after all), so when the animations start playing (you can have it play a specific doggy style animation too if available) you have a greater understanding for how the player knows how to do it, and it can act as a better foundation for how good the player is at having sex with all the other creature encounters (if they choose to do so). 

So instead of it being just a few lines of dialog before having sex, it can be another branching dialog tree for the player to roleplay through. A nice back and forth with things like "Are you sure it won't hurt? It looks pretty big." , "How is he supposed to mount me?" , "Can he take it back out after he knots me?" , etc etc.

You can even have it to where the player declines Thaena's offer entirely and the game proceeds as normal (they would need a follower or thaena to demonstrate for the jarl), perhaps motivated only by the financial prospects of it, or maybe the player is more into watching other people doing it than doing it themselves. All kinds of possibilities. 

9 hours ago, tolrond said:

You can even have it to where the player declines Thaena's offer entirely and the game proceeds as normal (they would need a follower or thaena to demonstrate for the jarl), perhaps motivated only by the financial prospects of it, or maybe the player is more into watching other people doing it than doing it themselves. All kinds of possibilities. 

I wanted to keep followers out of that bit because it's a rather personal thing going on there. Thaena's embarrassed enough that you caught her so supporting a follower there would be that much more mortifying. There's also issues every time I make a follower optional because I don't actually know if you have a follower with you or not.

But a third dialogue option where you need more convincing before trying it makes sense.

33 minutes ago, tasairis said:

Thaena's embarrassed enough that you caught her so supporting a follower there would be that much more mortifying. There's also issues every time I make a follower optional because I don't actually know if you have a follower with you or not.

Oh I meant to say use a follower when demonstrating to the jarl with bailey, not use a follower for when thaena offers bailey to you. 

13 hours ago, tolrond said:

Oh I meant to say use a follower when demonstrating to the jarl with bailey, not use a follower for when thaena offers bailey to you. 

Okay, yeah, I misunderstood.

The issue is that I don't want to give a "the player doesn't really care but likes money" option and then never bring it up again: if I do it then I want to offer it consistently (where it makes sense) across the rest of the mod. And that means more work. But I have already considered this concept.

What I would like to do is give more options for RP-type playstyles. Basically, there are some hidden personality trait axes (similar to SexLab's concept of purity/perversion that nobody uses) that shift around according to previous choices. One obvious consequence is that people could have different reactions to you according to the option you chose. Or, if you keep choosing an "evil" option then the good/evil axis might slide to that end so much that you might not be allowed a "good" one at the time you want it.

That's an easy way to imagine more dialogue branches too, but the hard part is that it introduces more variables I would have to keep in mind when designing quests. As such I've mostly avoided thinking about it so far because I figure the best way to go about it would be to do a once-over of all the dialogue options at once - so that I actually can manage to keep it all in mind when I need it. And doing that very thing is on my near-future todo list.

The "this is a decent business opportunity for me! and oh yeah there's sex too" is one style of option, ie. it would be a sort of business/pleasure axis, where you've got a scale with money and sex on the two ends and each one feels like a "means to an end" for the other.

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but 29 pages is a lot to parse:

After picking up the two dogs in Rorikstead they refuse to enter the mansion.  I had to get the key from Thaena, go into the basement, and use the console to move the dogs down there.

Following that, one of the dogs started following me all over Skyrim.  It appears in any outside area (won't follow into buildings).  The only way to get rid of it was to disable it using the console.

Additionally, any attempt to uninstall this mod corrupts the savegame file.  Probably a result of it being an ESM instead of ESP.  Why is this a master file?  That pretty much ensures it gets loaded early, creating a situation where a hundred mods get loaded after it and screw things up?

Is there a way to cleanly uninstall the mod so that it doesn't screw up saves?  If not, there are going to be a lot of problems with updates.

51 minutes ago, aurreth said:

After picking up the two dogs in Rorikstead they refuse to enter the mansion.  I had to get the key from Thaena, go into the basement, and use the console to move the dogs down there.

Following that, one of the dogs started following me all over Skyrim.  It appears in any outside area (won't follow into buildings).  The only way to get rid of it was to disable it using the console.

Additionally, any attempt to uninstall this mod corrupts the savegame file.  Probably a result of it being an ESM instead of ESP.  Why is this a master file?  That pretty much ensures it gets loaded early, creating a situation where a hundred mods get loaded after it and screw things up?

Is there a way to cleanly uninstall the mod so that it doesn't screw up saves?  If not, there are going to be a lot of problems with updates.

Don't. Remove. Plugins. Mid-playthrough. Expect issues if you do, that goes for ones that have a "cleaning" option too, always expect problems. ESM/ESP doesn't matter. If a mod has running scripts, and you remove it, you'll have a bad time. You can try Fallrim tools to salvage a save but you're better off testing before committing to a playthrough. And no, updates aren't likely to be affected unless scripts change that are already in place (might be some other caveats, hard to say).

First issue with dogs not entering sounds like navmesh maybe, check if any mods are editing terrain in the area. Not sure about one of them following, maybe moving them bypassed a certain trigger. Someone else might have more info on that.

2 hours ago, HalcyonAndOn said:

Don't. Remove. Plugins. Mid-playthrough. Expect issues if you do, that goes for ones that have a "cleaning" option too, always expect problems. ESM/ESP doesn't matter. If a mod has running scripts, and you remove it, you'll have a bad time. You can try Fallrim tools to salvage a save but you're better off testing before committing to a playthrough. And no, updates aren't likely to be affected unless scripts change that are already in place (might be some other caveats, hard to say).

First issue with dogs not entering sounds like navmesh maybe, check if any mods are editing terrain in the area. Not sure about one of them following, maybe moving them bypassed a certain trigger. Someone else might have more info on that.

I rarely have any problems removing mods.  The issue is that for Fallrim tools to work you have to log in after disabling the mod and THEN make a named save for cleaning.  Otherwise Resaver won't recognize that the mod was removed and stuff can be cleaned.  Can't do that if the save is corrupted by removing the mod.

The dogs weren't navmesh.  I don't have anything else in that area that would cause issues.  They simply refuse to enter the building, or any building.  Might be caused by fast travelling back from Rorikstead instead of walking.

18 hours ago, aurreth said:

I've had this issue as well. AM plus had an option in MCM where you could "Place animals" when something like that happened. Would it be possible to add that function in this mod as well?

2 hours ago, Koiana said:

I've had this issue as well. AM plus had an option in MCM where you could "Place animals" when something like that happened. Would it be possible to add that function in this mod as well?

Nevermind. I realise why the female husky doesn't stay in the mansion. It is treated as a personal horse owned by the player. If you interact with it you will mount it like you would a horse. It will also follow you around when you fast travel anywhere, like your horse. Also explains why it doesn't enter buildings with you or cities. 

Hi Tasairas, all apologies for the delayed response. But it's kind of your fault, it's a good thing. Soooo a few weeks ago, I said I would play through this mod in a vanilla game. Previously I reported that the male husky wouldn't enter the mansion during its quest. Although I had to reload a few saves, eventually the male husky entered the mansion. I didn't use any landscape mods whatsoever. So I'm not entirely sure why the male husky has such a hard time, but the female husky seems to be fine. The game also seems to think that both dogs are horses too. When I click on either of them, the game forces my character to ride them as if they're a horse.

About the "kinda your fault" BS. Your work with this mod motivated me to get something together with Sexlab and creatures. I've been working on a player home where a husky lives. At the time of this writing, the player can "interact" with the dog ? I'm doing this through a basic dialogue quest. 

Anyway, I hope all is well with you. My best

On 5/14/2021 at 10:46 AM, aurreth said:

Do you have any mods that modify the landscape near the building?

The AI to follow the player can only possibly work while the quest is running.

Did the dog quest complete when you consoled them both into that one room? Did you see the objective completion and quest completion notifications? Did the dogs stay in the room after you left it?

There is nothing in this mod that will corrupt saves, uninstalling should not corrupt anything, and being an ESM does not create problems as demonstrated by the tons of other ESM mods out there that work perfectly fine.

Your problem is due to something else.

There will be a way to uninstall the mod, but all it does is clean up quests and references that the game engine is not already capable of doing on its own when a mod is detected to have been removed. And none of those things will corrupt a save.

21 hours ago, aurreth said:

I rarely have any problems removing mods.  The issue is that for Fallrim tools to work you have to log in after disabling the mod and THEN make a named save for cleaning.  Otherwise Resaver won't recognize that the mod was removed and stuff can be cleaned.  Can't do that if the save is corrupted by removing the mod.

I'm not sure what you're doing, but when I use Resaver, all I have to do is load up the previous save, change the filter to the mod I want to clean, and delete stuff. Then save (as a new file) and quit. Nothing about "logging in" or making a "named save".

21 hours ago, aurreth said:

The dogs weren't navmesh.  I don't have anything else in that area that would cause issues.  They simply refuse to enter the building, or any building.  Might be caused by fast travelling back from Rorikstead instead of walking.

1. Post your Papyrus log. One that includes the moment you finish with the sale and the dogs begin following you and also when you try to enter a building.

2. Use one of the improved console mods (eg, More Informative Console) and check if you have a "Dogs Open Doors" active magic effect.

4 hours ago, Koiana said:

Nevermind. I realise why the female husky doesn't stay in the mansion. It is treated as a personal horse owned by the player. If you interact with it you will mount it like you would a horse. It will also follow you around when you fast travel anywhere, like your horse. Also explains why it doesn't enter buildings with you or cities. 

The husky is treated as a horse? And you can mount it? That's not me...

1 hour ago, ChrisHPZ said:

Hi Tasairas, all apologies for the delayed response. But it's kind of your fault, it's a good thing. Soooo a few weeks ago, I said I would play through this mod in a vanilla game. Previously I reported that the male husky wouldn't enter the mansion during its quest. Although I had to reload a few saves, eventually the male husky entered the mansion. I didn't use any landscape mods whatsoever. So I'm not entirely sure why the male husky has such a hard time, but the female husky seems to be fine. The game also seems to think that both dogs are horses too. When I click on either of them, the game forces my character to ride them as if they're a horse.

Okay, I'll check to see if if was me after all, though I'd be quite surprised given that 0.4 has been out for weeks and this is only being mentioned now. But the only way I can see that interfering with the follow AI is if you mounted the dog, and the code that handles you dismounting somehow didn't run.

The popup definitely says "Fuck me" and "Mount" and the third option (IIRC "Cancel"), right?

Talking about a bunch of odd things happening all at once, some which should be impossible, so I find this all rather hard to believe. I'm far more inclined to think this is a mod or mod conflict.

7 minutes ago, tasairis said:

Okay, I'll check to see if if was me after all, though I'd be quite surprised given that 0.4 has been out for weeks and this is only being mentioned now. But the only way I can see that interfering with the follow AI is if you mounted the dog, and the code that handles you dismounting somehow didn't run.

The popup definitely says "Fuck me" and "Mount" and the third option (IIRC "Cancel"), right?

Talking about a bunch of odd things happening all at once, some which should be impossible, so I find this all rather hard to believe. I'm far more inclined to think this is a mod or mod conflict.

There's only two options. "Fuck me" "Nevermind". My character auto mounts when pressing "E" on the husky. When I say "Mount" I mean it does the mount animation and she just sits in midair. doesn't actually sit on the dog. May be a modconflict but I got SSE specifically for this mod so my mod load is pretty small. Just the basic adult and character mods. I'll try removing mods any way and see if any of those were the issue. Like I said, husky acts like a horse. It won't stay in the mansion. Will just pop up next to me whenever I fast travel. Does not follow me like a companion. Just appears near me after fast travel

1 hour ago, Koiana said:

There's only two options. "Fuck me" "Nevermind". My character auto mounts when pressing "E" on the husky. When I say "Mount" I mean it does the mount animation and she just sits in midair. doesn't actually sit on the dog. May be a modconflict but I got SSE specifically for this mod so my mod load is pretty small. Just the basic adult and character mods. I'll try removing mods any way and see if any of those were the issue. Like I said, husky acts like a horse. It won't stay in the mansion. Will just pop up next to me whenever I fast travel. Does not follow me like a companion. Just appears near me after fast travel

Then that's definitely not me. There's no way this mod is adding the ability to mount dogs.

I mean, mount as in on their back.

I mean, you climb on top of them and ride them.

I mean... ah, fuck it.

ugh

Want to troubleshoot this?

1. Fire up xEdit, go to ActorTypeHorse [KYWD:00026110], and bring up the Referenced By tab. Sort it by Signature. In the cluster of NPC_s, do you see anything other than horses?

2. Go to [DOBJ:00000031]. Do you see any mods making changes?

3. Scroll through the DOBJ until you find "Keyword - Horse". It was about halfway down for me. Is it still ActorTypeHorse, as defined by Skyrim.esm?

3 hours ago, tasairis said:

I'm not sure what you're doing, but when I use Resaver, all I have to do is load up the previous save, change the filter to the mod I want to clean, and delete stuff. Then save (as a new file) and quit. Nothing about "logging in" or making a "named save".

I was not aware this could be done.  Thank you :)

Edit:  oh, and named saves (using the console, savegame cleanthisone) just makes it easier to clean the most recent.

28 minutes ago, aurreth said:

I was not aware this could be done.  Thank you :)

Still need to be careful with it. Resaver cannot clean everything, including some stuff that this mod currently does. (Yes, this does contradict some stuff I've said before - I was wrong then.) If you're trying to clean a "real" save that you want to keep playing then with Resaver alone you would have a few things leftover - not that they should cause any problems, mind you, it's just not a good thing that they're still around.

If you want to make the cleanest save possible then:

1. Finish all running AM quests

2. Open up the Zoo page in the MCM so you can see the various IDs (they should all start with FF), then open up the console and for each ID: "prid <id>" then "markfordelete"

3. Obviously, don't be inside the building or basement, and you should probably not even be on that one hill either (because of the landscape changes)

4. Save, quit, disable/uninstall the mod, clean with Resaver, load Skyrim with the new save it created, wait a minute, save again

Disclaimer: no promises that this covers everything - you really shouldn't have tested this mod with a save that you wanted to keep.

I'm sure there are bit and bobs left over, but was able to clean it out with Resaver.  And I uninstalled because I couldn't complete even the quest to retrieve the dogs from Rorikstead without it bugging out.  I mean having an immortal husky following me around that will have sex on command was, um, different, it breaks progression in the mod.

2 hours ago, aurreth said:

I'm sure there are bit and bobs left over, but was able to clean it out with Resaver.  And I uninstalled because I couldn't complete even the quest to retrieve the dogs from Rorikstead without it bugging out.  I mean having an immortal husky following me around that will have sex on command was, um, different, it breaks progression in the mod.

As far as I can figure, you have some other mod doing something weird. Because there's no way this one lets you mount dogs, and as long as what I said before is true, what you're seeing is pretty much impossible.

Of course I can't know for sure, let alone try to fix it, unless people are willing to help me. So, you know, whatever.

18 hours ago, tasairis said:

Then that's definitely not me. There's no way this mod is adding the ability to mount dogs.

I mean, mount as in on their back.

I mean, you climb on top of them and ride them.

I mean... ah, fuck it.

ugh

Want to troubleshoot this?

1. Fire up xEdit, go to ActorTypeHorse [KYWD:00026110], and bring up the Referenced By tab. Sort it by Signature. In the cluster of NPC_s, do you see anything other than horses?

2. Go to [DOBJ:00000031]. Do you see any mods making changes?

3. Scroll through the DOBJ until you find "Keyword - Horse". It was about halfway down for me. Is it still ActorTypeHorse, as defined by Skyrim.esm?

This was everything that I found on xedit for SE. Doesn't seem to be any mod conflict. However I did find a solution:

I use MO2 I instal 0.4 with MO2. and also install 0,4,2 in addition to 0.4 with MO2. If I remove 0.4.2 I no longer have the issue with the huskies. Everything is fine.

I think maybe I might not have installed correctly? I don't know. 

capture-20210516-154105.png

capture-20210516-154139.png

capture-20210516-154547.png

14 hours ago, tasairis said:

As far as I can figure, you have some other mod doing something weird. Because there's no way this one lets you mount dogs, and as long as what I said before is true, what you're seeing is pretty much impossible.

Of course I can't know for sure, let alone try to fix it, unless people are willing to help me. So, you know, whatever.

Wrong person, I never said anything about mounting the dog like a horse  :)  Although, yes, I had that happen too, just didn't occur to me that it might be a symptom of the same problem.

The only dog mod I have running is Quiet Dog.  I have a horse mod installed as well, Faster Horses.  Devious Lore adds a building on the road southeast of Rorikstead.  I have no mods which alter the region where the AM building is.  The nearest one is the Captured Dreams shop, which is up by Half-Moon Mill.

So nothing that should cause problems.  And Animal Mansion Plus works perfectly well with this mod setup.

Ok, that might be it.  I may not have cleaned the save completely after uninstalling AM+ so that I could install your mod instead.  Let me check.

Edit:  Nope, some cruft from Devious Cidhna, but no AM stuff left in my game.

4 hours ago, Koiana said:

This was everything that I found on xedit for SE. Doesn't seem to be any mod conflict. However I did find a solution:

I use MO2 I instal 0.4 with MO2. and also install 0,4,2 in addition to 0.4 with MO2. If I remove 0.4.2 I no longer have the issue with the huskies. Everything is fine.

I think maybe I might not have installed correctly? I don't know.

IIRC 0.4.2 made a couple changes to the popup when you interact with animals, but I can't see how that could trick the game into letting you "mount" a dog. Maybe installing the patch screws something up inside the game and Skyrim gets confused? But if anything broke like that then I would expect it to make horses no longer work - not to somehow make dogs rideable.

Fucking bizarre. Can you try 0.4 + 0.4.2 on a clean save and see if it has the same problem?