Trials of Mana Mod Creation Guide

Hello everyone and sorry for my english, I'm italian.

For several days I have been very focused on trying to try the translation of the game.

I made several registrations to various forums and several attempts, also following your guides.

Basically, to extract the .pak file, I use "UnrealPakExe", and so far, I get all the files that interest me, including the texts.

The problem, whether with the same program to recreate the .pak file, or with special tools, the file, from 80MB turns to 1KB, and obviously, it no longer works correctly.

I specify that I downloaded a file, already modified in italian language, if I put it in the "Paks" folder, without needing the "Mod" folder, it works ...

If I do the procedure I explained to you, it goes back to English.

Can you by chance give me a little tip on where I'm wrong? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been working on a tweak for Nikita/Niccolo's model that better supports the male player character animations, since the current one has a few issues. I got everything in this guide followed, tried to ensure it called the same exact textures as the original (kept material names 1:1 but i didn't import the textures themselves into UE4), and imported it.

But... in-game, it doesn't crash or do anything particularly funky. It's just invisible. Any idea what's up? I'll include my folder structure and .pak, if anyone is willing to take a look it would be greatly appreciated!

tkHg5tk.png

NikitaTweak_P.pak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was trying to make a simple mod with Fenrir Knight without the shoulder wolf, but I ended up stuck on 7a trying to find out the files list.

When I drag "Trials of Mana-WindowsNoEditor.pak" to "UNPACK-TOM.bat," it gives me the error "illegal file magic: 0x00000000." When I looked that up, the only answers I got were to try the options "--ignore-magic" and "force-version=1," and even using both at the same time didn't make it work.

Is this a known error? At the very least I'd like to know the files needed to make a mod for that costume...

• 3 months later...

Hi, I know it's been closed for a while, but how do you repack files? I'm using the tool and seem to have the right folder structure, but everything goes to a 1kb file that doesn't contain anything, any idea what went wrong?

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 5/7/2020 at 9:46 AM, fraggerman said:

I found out where the edited texture is and made some progress swizzling it. Need to swizzle normals too it seems.

2020050718461900-387D3132CAF52D748486E541E354E474.jpg

Any way you could send me and others in the right direction for safe and sane Switch modding?

I want to avoid getting Nintendo banned.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2022 at 11:02 PM, Bastardo said:

Any way you could send me and others in the right direction for safe and sane Switch modding?

There is no safe and sane way. You either risk getting banned or you don't mod your switch at all. I bought a second one for playing online and use my old day1 switch for mods.

• 7 months later...

Hello. I have started to make a mod for this game quite recently, but I have a question that I am having trouble with.
I wanted to change the animation (AM_mc16_01a_a_damagedown00_L.psa, etc.) of a wizard's general soldier (mc16_01a.psk), but only the arms do not move as animated.
Here is the specific process I went through.

• Open the wizard's mesh in blender and import the psa (at this point, the movement of the arms is fine).

image.thumb.png.6a27e27631ab96ad37d7a37732659c44.png

• Output the animation to fbx without making any changes to the animation.
  • Import into UE4 and change the bones to SK_pc_common_Skeleton.((no arm movement problem at this point)

image.thumb.png.f8aac065ce5cf9c62464b36816b00943.png

• Package in UE4 and make .pak with unrealpak

After installing the mod and starting the game, only the arms are moving differently from the original animation (other parts of the body are moving as per the original animation).

This is the same thing happening with all animations except the images.

image.thumb.png.b3ac530e35c6fec8777c9b1a778cded2.png

I have tried everything since then, but I have no idea what the cause is. By the way, other poses (animations) also show the same strange arm movements.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it if you could tell me what is going on.

Translated with DeepL

@ALALALFA Have you accidentally packed the skeleton from the exported model into the pak file? If that isn't the case, you may want to open the exported animation file in a hex editor and see if there are any objects the animation depends on which may be out of place or missing. I have heard of reimported animations not working so well on some games, but I would look over it carefully before writing it off as a failure.

9 hours ago, Blehbreh said:

@ALALALFA Have you accidentally packed the skeleton from the exported model into the pak file? If that isn't the case, you may want to open the exported animation file in a hex editor and see if there are any objects the animation depends on which may be out of place or missing. I have heard of reimported animations not working so well on some games, but I would look over it carefully before writing it off as a failure.

Thank you for your reply.
I was surprised that someone could answer so quickly.

Now, regarding the skeletons, I don't think there is any problem because I have renamed the skeletons associated with the animations, placed them in the appropriate folders, deleted them after output from UE, and then packed them.
In fact, the animations except for the arms are working as original, so it's not like no animations are being applied at all.

My biggest question is that the arm animation is working fine in Blender.
At least in Blender, I think it means that the bone names specified by the animation and the bone names of the model match perfectly.
The mod I made by importing the extracted model into Blender, making a few changes and exporting the data as fbx, works fine as far as the original animation is concerned, so it doesn't seem that there is anything wrong with the model itself.

Translated with DeepL

• 11 months later...

Hello, so I managed to make a mod for Riesz base costume and everything works fine, but the hair and dress are stiff. Did I do something wrong ?
I read the whole thread and it seams it's because of the physics assets ?
How do you fix this issue ?

TrialsofMana04_02_202412_34_50.png.9933bec3f4267f918de5b32af9ee612b.png

EDIT: Ok nevermind, if anyone wanna know how I fixed it, you just have to name "Blueprint/sub" Animation Blueprint correctly depending on which character you're working on. For Riesz it was "pc06_sub_ABP_kawaii01".

Edited by jakesnake128
  • 1 month later...