Trials of Mana Mod Creation Guide

9 minutes ago, me3 said:

good lord, you went thru hell and back for this :)

good tutorial, tyvm.

Bruh. I bought this game just to mod it and yeah, it has been hell, but I hope it helps some talented artists to make cool mods xD

you need to create a "skeleton" folder and move your skeleton file like this:
Character/Common/skeleton/SK_pc_common_Skeleton

That will fix the T-pose.

I don't know what's happening with the textures though.

Can you open SK_pc02_01a and check the import settings?

image.png.aee02ab55dbec729d51318363de42526.png

24 minutes ago, azerty96 said:

I just tried to make a pak with all the files like it comes out from UE and I have this

Oh yeah, that's why the textures are white - they are the empty materials we created in UE4. Youre supposed to delete them before you make a pak so that the defaults are used instead.

I think if you just move the skeleton like I said but don't do anything else it will fix the crash (file was not found)

Thanks, I've been trying to retain the MorphTargets with exported model, but to no avail. Ended up just hex-editing the whole vertex buffer (manually selectively zero-ing 3554 vertices out of 27632).

https://imgur.com/a/KNIbmAq

same stuff as OP's, but with LipSync

Morph.zip

If you don't like the recolor, SK_pc02_01a_noskirt_noneck_nolod_nohat.uexp is the model file I packed in the .pak file.

For packing I used this tool by FluffyQuack

http://modderbase.com/showthread.php?tid=834

A few things I've noticed.

https://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=6831

They seem to not intend to implement the MorphTarget exporting function (rip).

Unreal Package Extractor on their site however, it does extract MorphTarget components into dump files. Though combining them back into .psk or .fbx file is equally difficult.

Also this tool can extract NameTable/ImportTable from SkeletalMesh or MaterialInstance (or any) .asset files. Which is useful for modifying certain parameters in the file. For example I changed "LODHysteresis" property in the SK_pc02_01a.uexp file to prevent the low poly models to appear in the game, otherwise I had to hex-edit another 30000 vertices.

If you choose the Current/latest version of Blender .psk Import plugin instead of Stable/master one, there is an import option called "Scale Down". It is checked by default but you need to uncheck this before import. And set the "Unit Scale" in Scene Properties tab to 0.01 , then when you export, check the "Apply Unit" option to properly scale down the exported object. I think the scaling function in the latest version is broken. (OP is using the stable version in the tutorial)

export.png.ebdae7927e2b2fe6078a49ad911d1d35.png import.png.d65a1ecf5b2a889e4777db86a57ef34b.png

You can hide a surface group by changing "NumFaces" property to zero in Lod.Sections array. Useless because you can't reassign the material slot to meshes without export -> import process.

7 hours ago, wutdahax said:

The mod i created in this guide is here in case anyone wants it :)

AngelaNofrills_1_P.pak 2.08 MB · 38 downloads

Edit: Lipsync is broken in this mod - I still need to figure out how to keep the morphs from Umodel to Blender to UE4. I will update this post when i figure it out and add similar mods to all of Angela's and Riesz' costumes ;) 

I put pak file in ~ mod folder, but mod does not work. What is the problem? Sorry for the translator's English. 

wow @oscateexor that's some serious haxxorz :O 

I saw that updated psk importer and tried it out. I got the same results as you. In fact I can recreate the results if I import normally, select all, scale 0.01, apply, then export at scale 1. I think the importer just runs those commands like a macro at the end of the import rather than adjust numbers as they are read from the psk.

Anyway, since the instructions in my tutorial haven't changed and the new features don't add anything helpful, I just left it alone for now.

In the mean time I was struggling to make a decent eye material just for editor preview purposes so I started digging and found that the material files we export with umodel are actually supposed to be instances. This is good news because it means all the characters skin, eyes, etc. are derived from common skin, eyes etc. master blueprints. We just need to create a master material blueprint with the right parameters set up and plug in the values from text files exported like MI_pc02_01a_body01.props.txt

With that in mind, it's possible that with enough time and effort we can create a template project with a bunch of materials and blueprints so everyone can just open it up in UE4 and drop their FBX and PNG files.

51 minutes ago, serkerth said:

I put pak file in ~ mod folder, but mod does not work. What is the problem? Sorry for the translator's English. 

it's not supposed to have a space after ~

image.png.cf01bd8621619e4a0743ad7df3287fd8.png

It seems that spaces have been added by the translator.

And the mode works, but only when start a new game.

It does not apply when loading a saved game.

Will it be applied when changing clothes by changing jobs?

Thank you for answer.

Sorry for stupid english.

11 minutes ago, serkerth said:

It seems that spaces have been added by the translator.

And the mode works, but only when start a new game.

It does not apply when loading a saved game.

Will it be applied when changing clothes by changing jobs?

Thank you for answer.

Sorry for stupid english.

I'm confused. This has never happened to me.

Try this file. If it works, I may have to edit my instructions.

AngelaNofrills_1_P.pak

10 minutes ago, serkerth said:

It works perfectly! Thank you.
I guess I found the cause too.
Now, even if wear Ravi's Ring, the mod will work!

So the problem was that I didn't understand the purpose of  pc02_01b

This is actually a different model because it has the necklace so I had to copy _01a to _01b. I will need to mention that next time I update the tutorial ?

3 minutes ago, wutdahax said:

So the problem was that I didn't understand the purpose of  pc02_01b

This is actually a different model because it has the necklace so I had to copy _01a to _01b. I will need to mention that next time I update the tutorial ?

Your tutorial is really the best. I will also challenge the modding. Thank you.

6 hours ago, wutdahax said:

Oh yeah, that's why the textures are white - they are the empty materials we created in UE4. Youre supposed to delete them before you make a pak so that the defaults are used instead.

I think if you just move the skeleton like I said but don't do anything else it will fix the crash (file was not found)

ok I already have skeleton in Character/Common/SK_pc_common_Skeleton got the texture on but stuck on T pose, and I just find out that skeleton folder is missing

6 minutes ago, azerty96 said:

ok I already have skeleton in Character/Common/SK_pc_common_Skeleton got the texture on but stuck on T pose, and I just find out that skeleton folder is missing

alright so with Character/Common/SK_pc_common_Skeleton I got T pose and with Character/Common/skeleton/SK_pc_common_Skeleton it cause fatal error and crash

edit : here is my pak if you want to check

Angela_mod_P.pak

1 hour ago, yock0723 said:

I tried following this tutorial.but unfortunately it has failed...
The character will be invisible.
Where I failed? please check my file.

Sorry for the poor English.

無題.png

AngelaNoFrills_1_P.pak 2.08 MB · 1 download

This happens when you scale the mesh and skeleton in blender or let the importer do it. Don't do that!

image.png.efe5d0fb33db5a7041b889852cecdc55.png  image.png.2cd1bd7e8716fbb3607a044a122344b2.png

Let the exporter handle scale for you.

image.png.5c75680cf241edefdce7b064fe2bb536.png

Thank you great tutorial! My only issue is I don't know how to add stand alone materials. I overwrote Durans main textures    duran-mod.png

It works though. Just want to be able to add different hairstyles and colors for different outfits.

Duran-hair-texture.png