Baldur's Gate 3

winny257

Divinity Original Sin with DnD 5 ruleset. So.... ups and downs there. Calling it Baldur's Gate 3 seems to be more a marketing thing rather than being having anything to do with the original story, which I'm fairly sure ended happily or not in Baldur's Gate 2. Plenty of other places in the Forgotten Realms they could have named it after to give it it's own identity. Probably will be fun though. 

1 hour ago, spoonsinger said:

Divinity Original Sin with DnD 5 ruleset. So.... ups and downs there. Calling it Baldur's Gate 3 seems to be more a marketing thing rather than being having anything to do with the original story, which I'm fairly sure ended happily or not in Baldur's Gate 2. Plenty of other places in the Forgotten Realms they could have named it after to give it it's own identity. Probably will be fun though. 

The up is is definitely the DnD 5 ruleset. Not very impressed with the Divinity series, but Baldur's Gate 2 was a smashhit. So now we'll enter Baldur's 3rd gate...ow, that sounded wrong...

The BG series used AD&D 2e rules, with some nods to 3.0 in BG2. I purchased the three core rule books for 5e and I wasn't terribly impressed. Each class feels like a bizarre hybrid of the MMO-style used in 4e and some faint callbacks to systems used in 3.x, with some bizarre limitations on attribute score maximums without the unique capabilities that they got past 18 in 2e. Now throw in the fact that the BioWare that's making BG3 is not the same company that made BG1 and 2 and I'm apprehensive about this game. Not even Jim Cummings voicing Minsc again will be enough to save this in my book if they screw it up.

I have an eye on it, being a BG1-2 and Icewind Dale fan. But I have to say ... I played DOS1 ... and gave up reaching chapter 2. Not the turnbased combat, but the boring story and cringey humourous world and art style took me out...just not my cup of tea when going adventuring...

So I hope they keep that influance out of BG3. I mean, that one had Minsc and Jan Jansen, sure, but overall was set in a world that took itself seriously without breaking the fourth wall, constant meta-humour and ... well, even the Discoworld has a setting I can take more seriously than Rivellon. Skipped DOS2 ... never cared to play stuff like cannibal elves, skeletons or ugly lizards...give me those boring elves and humans for all I care, and don'T overdo it with trying to be "special" and "memorable" - it usually just ends up over the top, and not in a good way...

1 hour ago, jxm said:

I have an eye on it, being a BG1-2 and Icewind Dale fan. But I have to say ... I played DOS1 ... and gave up reaching chapter 2. Not the turnbased combat, but the boring story and cringey humourous world and art style took me out...just not my cup of tea when going adventuring...

So I hope they keep that influance out of BG3. I mean, that one had Minsc and Jan Jansen, sure, but overall was set in a world that took itself seriously without breaking the fourth wall, constant meta-humour and ... well, even the Discoworld has a setting I can take more seriously than Rivellon. Skipped DOS2 ... never cared to play stuff like cannibal elves, skeletons or ugly lizards...give me those boring elves and humans for all I care, and don'T overdo it with trying to be "special" and "memorable" - it usually just ends up over the top, and not in a good way...

Dos3 Had a good start, a nice prison break setting, but the second map started dragging out, lol. I gave up when they suddenly tried to introduce alchemy or something.

Archived