Skyrim suddenly ctd when starting a new game or loading a savegame

CrossDG

21 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

My game just started crashing constantly even when trying to create a new save i click on new game and instant crash i dont know why

I'd put money on this being caused by you exceeding the animation limit.

Running FNIS should give you a figure at the end. Try installing animation limit crash fix

37 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

i click on new game and instant crash

You mean you can't get into game, or you start game and shortly after you crash.

If you can't get into game you're probably missing a master file. My mod manager and my slightly older version of tes5edit tips me off in such sceneriors 

edit: If you play with steam offline and you don't have any steamworkshop mods, my go to when anything suddenly just stops working is to go into steam and clear download cache. I suspect this solution is for users like me that play steam offline, suspect. 

Pretty certain his issue is after Skyrim has loaded since he says he's clicking New Game, which is a menu option.

Perhaps there should be a Sticky explaining the most common Crashes to Desktop causes by their point in game.

I.E.

CTD when Skyrim is loading - Missing Master file (either it's been removed or you have installed a Mod that is missing a requirement)

CTD on Save load - Missing requirement from save game (Did you just uninstall a mod? Did you follow the uninstallation instructions? Have you run save cleaner?)

CTD on Save AND New game - Too many animations (install the crash fix, remove some animations)

CTD randomly in game - Memory, Skyrim ran out of it. Bunch of fixes to help this (links to be added)

CTD at same point, event or location in game - Bad/missing asset. Usually a Mesh. Check your mods that could affect that point, event or location.

Obviously that isn't meant to be the hard and fast causes and I'm sure someone with more knowledge can make a better job of that... What am I saying, even if we did have that stickied, no one would read it first.

3 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

even if we did have that stickied, no one would read it first.

Yep. Even if we had that, a lot of people can't even reach the proper forum sections. On top of that, most users just create a new thread without searching or even glancing at the other threads.

crosser, check your loadorder (LOOT, xEdit and some mod managers can tell you if you're missing a required mod). Run FNIS and take note of the number of animations it reports when it finishes. The maximum amount your game can handle depends on your system specs, but usuallu people are fine with 5k-8k animations, There are some mods to increase stability with more animations (like the one Mez linked). If you want more accurate advice I'd recommend you to provide the relevant information (loadorder/FNIS log, since when does this happen, what did you change/already tried, etc.).

1 hour ago, Heroine of the Night said:

You mean you can't get into game, or you start game and shortly after you crash.

If you can't get into game you're probably missing a master file. My mod manager and my slightly older version of tes5edit tips me off in such sceneriors 

edit: If you play with steam offline and you don't have any steamworkshop mods, my go to when anything suddenly just stops working is to go into steam and clear download cache. I suspect this solution is for users like me that play steam offline, suspect. 

no once i click on new game and when it says do you want to start a new game the second i click on no or yes my game crashes this is the first time this has happend i never had this problem before

3 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

no once i click on new game and when it says do you want to start a new game the second i click on no or yes my game crashes this is the first time this has happend i never had this problem before

I just want to be clear. You cant load a save file or start or a new game?

What things have you done since being able to play and whats the time table on last time you could play? 

While we are at it, Mod manager? Enboost? LO? SKSE? Loot? CrashFixes or alternative memory allocation fix? 

For modded skyrim we absolutely need:  Enboost

Memory Allocation Fix

SKSE(maybe shouldn't be on list)

Configured Ini

Acceptable LO

Clean master files

That is the basic requirements. I have no reason to think you are not good with these or that's your problem, sounds like missing master file is your problem 

2 minutes ago, Heroine of the Night said:

While we are at it, Mod manager? Enboost? LO? SKSE? Loot? CrashFixes or alternative memory allocation fix? 

For modded skyrim we absolutely need:  Enboost

Memory Allocation Fix

SKSE(maybe shouldn't be on list)

Configured Ini

Acceptable LO

Clean master files

That is the basic requirements. I have no reason to think you are not good with these or that's your problem, sounds like missing master file is your problem 

ok i have all of these things and i could play 6 hours or more without issues before and i cant even get to the loading screen now it crashes the second i click new game 

Just now, Heroine of the Night said:

we are mistaken right? You can launch game, get to menu, click new game which gives "yes" and "no" option and you click no and crash? 

If you don't use steam workshop mods, go clear you dl cache in steam 

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

yes exactly that i get to the main menu i can click new game and 2 choices show up yes and no and on both options i get an instant crash and i can try the steam thing will report back after i did it 

2 minutes ago, Heroine of the Night said:

when? and what do we think we have done since? if your not sure thats fine, at least on the what have you done. We need to know when you last in game and it was good/normal

last time i played was 1 week ago i played without issues like usual the only thing i did since then was update a few mods EDIT:ok i cleared the download cache

3 minutes ago, Heroine of the Night said:

still can't get in I take it? 

Hopefully Genio has some good info, I see him lurking. 

It can't be me updating a few mods right? if that was the cause the game would crash in the loading screen correct?

21 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

It can't be me updating a few mods right? if that was the cause the game would crash in the loading screen correct?

I'm not sure, I cant see an update to mod preventing you from being able to get into game,unless it was an update that was... not good. 

What mods do you recall having had updated???

Your good in game, sit a week, update some mods and now you cant even get into game. I can't get over you going to main menu and clicking new game to then tell it no and crash, I don't see any mod tying into anything that would have to do with main menu options. 

34 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

16 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

yes exactly that i get to the main menu i can click new game and 2 choices show up yes and no and on both options i get an instant crash and i can try the steam thing will report back after i did it 

Your problem is similar to "No Main Menu" and is caused by a mod. Remove mods until find it.

14 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

last time i played was 1 week ago i played without issues like usual the only thing i did since then was update a few mods EDIT:ok i cleared the download cache

Disable the mods that you updated recently.

------------

When the game show the image with the logo and the smoke but not show the Main Menu is because a mod have a missing requeriment. A mod need another mod that is not correctly installed.

Is not a missing master. When we miss a master we get CTD before see the main menu.

Is a problem in one of the components of the game that can not be initialiced correctly.

Can be caused by any of the master core mods like SkyUi, hdtPhysicsExtensions, RaceMenu, NiOverride, JContainers, PapyrusUtil, FISS...

But is strange get CTD when you click "New Game->No" 

That can be caused by a bad DLL. Maybe you has been installed an update for the incorrect version of the game, i mean, you installed and update for SE in LE or viceversa.

11 minutes ago, Heroine of the Night said:

Quick Question, what mod manager do you use?, and I didnt give you time to reply but what mods can you recall having had updated? 

i use nexus mod manager (community version) and the mods that i updated are: skyrim utility mod, devious devices equip, prison overhaul patched, bathing in skyrim tweaked, spank that ass, sexlab survival, Growl, cozy taverns, random emotions, expressive facial animations female, legraf tweaks.

i know i updated a lot in the last week xD

Nmm user should give advice on trying to go into game with newly updated mods inactive, as Genio suggested. I use MO and I am ignorant to how NMM handles anything. Genio suggestion is something i have deployed on occasion with great success, but I use MO. I have giving said suggestion before and got reprimanded for not considering how that would affect nmm user.  

I think Genio is right, as usual(except for LOOT)which he's not wrong there neither, personal preference. Hopefully he will chime back in with some good NMM info on how to problem shoot finding culprit mod. 

26 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

i would really like to avoid disabling mods since most of these mods are required by other mods disabling them means disabling the other mods and so on and so on that would take hours to find the cause

No. You start with no mods at all.

• CTD: check file integrity/clean reinstall.
  • No CTD: Start enabling half of your mods, make sure you have all the requirements among the enabled mods (again, LOOT/xEdit/Mod organizer will tell you if you're missing something required).
    • CTD: Disable half your enabled mods and try again.
      • CTD: Disable half your enabled mods and try again. You should reach a point where you don't CTD -> check the last mods you disabled, the culprit is there.
    • No CTD: Enable half your disabled mods and try again.
      • No CTD: Keep enabling mods until you can reproduce the CTD, the culprit is in the last mods you enabled.

That way you should be able to pinpoint if the CTD is caused by one plugin in particular, usually after 5-8 tries. Hours? that can take like 5-15 minutes top, depending on the time your pc requires to start the game.

You could also check your dll files as Genio said, I don't even know if you're using LE or SE, at least in SE you have to be careful about the mods with dll because keeping an outdated dll leads to crashes or general mod malfunction.

57 minutes ago, crosser0987 said:

i would really like to avoid disabling mods since most of these mods are required by other mods disabling them means disabling the other mods and so on and so on that would take hours to find the cause

I know very well how slow is NMM because i I used it for years. More than one year ago I change to Vortex.

Is 1000 times more fast than NMM. Reinstall the FunnyBizzness pack in Vortex take near 30 seconds. But in NMM mean 10 minutes or more.

Not have the horrendous problem of the "strict install order" because have an OverWrite window, that can be a bit confusing, but allow you change the install order on the fly.

You can have multiple profiles and change it in less than one minute. I have now 375 mods and 7 profiles. 

Think about upgrade to Vortex.

Disable mods is the only way to locate your problem because is caused by a mod.

Is not convenient update 11 mods in a bunch whitout make intermediate tests.

Theorically, you only need disable the updates that you have installed.

But if you delete the old versions you have a big problem.

Never delete the OLD versions until you have the new version working.

Disable the new version and enable the old version require a lot of time in NMM, but is the only way.

-------

Reading your list the problem can be caused by:

Cozy Taverns -> Require: Campfire that have an OLD version of PapyrusUtil inside it.

Download and install (or Reinstall) PapyrusUtil 3.3 and overwrite the files inside CampFire and SexLab.

Expressive Facial Animation -> The first link in my Browser link to the Special Edition.

Verify that you have instaled the LE version and not the SE version.

Archived