I've been having this mod idea for the longest time, and I have been trying to implement it into Skyrim to no avail.

Basically, I want to have a human 'creature' be a mount for the player to ride on, like a bipedal horse. The animations would be the same as a human, just with the player riding on top of her behind like this: https://www.deviantart.com/gashi-gashi/art/Good-Fellas-526885897

My previous attempt used the Succubus race mod as a basis. I added an extra body node to the model for the rider, and managed to make a NPC of that race a mount. But, riding on her in-game would cause animation glitches and a crash-to-desktop.

I really want help with this, since I don't think I can create such a mod by my lonesome.

the current issue with this right now is the human skeleton has no SaddleBone which is what the game uses to make that work. i got groov to add HorseSpine2 to xpmse a long time ago so humans could pull carts but the riding thing wasn't known then.

if it was in the skeleton everyone uses it would be simple. pretty much all i had to do to make my wolf rideable.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I also made one even though it is somewhat problematic.

1. Create a new race (eg: a copy of Nord) and specify the following skeleton.
https://www.loverslab.com/topic/114189-request-human-with-saddle-bone/?tab=comments#comment-2485657
The skeleton works on both male and female.

2. Specify either one of the following for Behaviour Graph of the created race.
Actors\Draugr\DraugrProject.hkx
Actors\Troll\TrollProject.hkx

3. Create an NPC with the above race and add "ActorTypeHorse [KYWD:00026110]" for the NPC Keyword.

--
I tried applying "Project.hkx" of other races such as Atronach, Falmer, Dragon Priest, Werefolf, Giant, but animation could not be played or the figure was totally deformed.
It is maybe because the humanoid skeleton is too far from those races.
Only above two (Draugr and Troll) were the successful and acceptable cases.
When I tried humanoid's "Project.hkx", I could not even mount on the NPC.

Another issue is that the NPC is unable to combat.
I tried changing Combat Style of the NPC to fit to Troll or Draugr, but it didn't work.
So the NPC is for riding only.

MountOnHuman.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey there! I am glad so many people want to see the same things. Riding Styles 2 was a good mod but there seem to be no updates anymore...

I was thinking if it is possible through the mounting system to have linked chains? Like the pc is leashed to an npc but controlls are by you.

@Huanrenfeng maybe you can make the npc witch is shown in your video use crawling animations? Greetings :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not a modder but sometimes the easiest solution can work, what about a "skin for a horse.  Basically, instead of adding the saddle bone to NPC's make a "horse" creature that looks human.  The creature can follow horse rules with over complicating NPC's in the game.  If you make the creature the same size as humans you might be able to use human textures so you can make named "horses."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 7:14 AM, zoloft74 said:
Spoiler

I also made one even though it is somewhat problematic.

1. Create a new race (eg: a copy of Nord) and specify the following skeleton.
https://www.loverslab.com/topic/114189-request-human-with-saddle-bone/?tab=comments#comment-2485657
The skeleton works on both male and female.

2. Specify either one of the following for Behaviour Graph of the created race.
Actors\Draugr\DraugrProject.hkx
Actors\Troll\TrollProject.hkx

3. Create an NPC with the above race and add "ActorTypeHorse [KYWD:00026110]" for the NPC Keyword.

--
I tried applying "Project.hkx" of other races such as Atronach, Falmer, Dragon Priest, Werefolf, Giant, but animation could not be played or the figure was totally deformed.
It is maybe because the humanoid skeleton is too far from those races.
Only above two (Draugr and Troll) were the successful and acceptable cases.
When I tried humanoid's "Project.hkx", I could not even mount on the NPC.

Another issue is that the NPC is unable to combat.
I tried changing Combat Style of the NPC to fit to Troll or Draugr, but it didn't work.
So the NPC is for riding only.

MountOnHuman.png

On 2/12/2021 at 12:04 PM, nightmarezerosg said:

I'm not a modder but sometimes the easiest solution can work, what about a "skin for a horse.  Basically, instead of adding the saddle bone to NPC's make a "horse" creature that looks human.  The creature can follow horse rules with over complicating NPC's in the game.  If you make the creature the same size as humans you might be able to use human textures so you can make named "horses."

lol that "my" skeleton was linked here! It's cool someone got it to work, when I tried the draugr version it was SUPER buggy.

I've asked how to do this a few times over the years, but got no replies. :(

A humanoid horse skin WOULD work, but personally I'm trying to do piggyback-style, not crawling on hands & knees. I'd also like to easily customize the npc... Making a dummy horse skin would mean exporting and rerigging any time I wanted to change their armor or hair, etc. You'd also end up with the problem most "centaur" mods have: they can't move their arms, blink, look around, etc. Like if you rigged them to the horse's head/neck, you'd have to disable most idle animations, like grazing or shaking the head, or it would look DISASTEROUS.

These days I'd expect a sexlab style animation set up, but THAT'S more complicated than I'd like. 

Here was my latest attempt... failing in new and exciting ways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqUB2Ar9j3I

Edited by TentakelnBitte
remembered "centaur" mounts exist
  • 1 year later...

Long time, no read! Any updates? Probably not. orz
I'm stuck in limbo while waiting to move, so I had time to take another swing at these:

"Goblin Horse" 
I'm honestly kind of upset at how well this works:

Spoiler

enb2023_07_1801_47_47_86.png.00f4251ff68d78585c0e47f95d071396.pngenb2023_07_1801_46_36_36.png.e4875453a363b257445ce67a325f631a.png

Piggyback NPC!! (draugr)
This is what I'm specifically after:

Spoiler

enb2023_07_1802_53_57_53.png.375ef42c540e6f5005e7ea606ce0fd63.png

Fun details with the draugr version:
-The mount will attack with you! Pro: Double damage on enemies. Con: You hit each other sometimes.
-When you resurrect a mountable actor, the saddlebone gets messed up. It still WORKS, it's just a bit... off:

Spoiler

fun1.png.8adac714bc849743a9629fcacf3a4894.png

It'd be simple enough to make a set up like OP is/was asking for! If you want that exact pose, the NPC needs to be posed permanently and rigged to the draugr skeleton with the arms (and maybe spine) weighted together so they don't move. That's the easiest way without using modded animations, since no one seems interested enough to make those.

I'm pretty garbage with blender and can't get outfits to import with rigging intact, so the draugr method is the best I can do. :T

Edited by TentakelnBitte

Annnd OPs version:

Spoiler

Abominations2.png.92d99d56684a9641186007a99ae98641.png

I've attached both of these abominations and their skeletons, in case anyone wants them for some reason. (NightmareFuel.zip) They're just test meshes, so the rigging is bad and shaders are messed up. The Centaur mesh is just a Horse skin, so make a copy of the HorseRace so you can change the skeleton. The ChickenButt mesh is the same, but for Draugr. They both have an extra bone called "Sadman" which can be used to easily adjust the saddlebone. (It wouldn't move for me otherwise)

The NPC version is not included, because it used no special assets. You just have to duplicate everything (hair, head, beards, etc) you need for the NPC to use as a Draugr.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2023 at 11:46 AM, wareware said:

If making NPCs rideable just requires adding the saddle bone could this work?

If that was all it took, we'd have had it done YEARS ago. Exactly the same problems as with centaurs. The real problems are with how Skyrim handles animations and actors you can talk to. 

Fully functional NPCs you can Talk with overwrite the Activate/Mount button. Even with a saddlebone, you can't Mount without activating them properly... So you have to disable everything that would make them normally interactable until you just have a dumb, person-shaped "horse". That's Step One before you can even TRY these abominations (or just basic piggybacking).

With the animations, there's no way to assign the mount and rider, or like Actor 1 and 2, etc, so when you link 2 regular humans it freaks tf out because you just have 2 riders trying to ride each other/nothing. Human skeleton=rider... ALWAYS. I've never tried it, but if you linked 2 horses, it would probably have the same issue, just with mount-mount. No link between them and broken controls. You have to use SKSE or a dedicated framework like Sexlab to make a custom link and/or animation, but those still tend to be static or for a set period of time... Not ideal for an actual, normally rideable horse/mount. 

TL;DR
All this dumb nerd shit makes me wanna just go out irl and piggyback someone for reals... which ironically I HATE, it's only cute in-game orz

Edited by TentakelnBitte

Was there not a chocobo mount around on le at one point, that might give you a starting point, for things like skeleton and such.

It also depends on do you want a mount you can ride, or a mount for other things or both, if only a riding mount, then you might be able to get away with taking the xp skeleton, and in effect turning the breasts anchor around 180 degrees and using that as a saddle connection, though it would require in effect a custom race and skeleton, so sexlab and such would be a probable no or yes but does really really weird things.

The main problem with this sort of thing is that the human body is not really big enough to do a mount job, sure you can give people piggy backs, but just how long could/can you keep that up when doing it for an adult, then add in a however much extra weight for armour and weapons and it would probably end up with even less time you can do it, all fours is even worse, for one a humans spine simply does not have the correct support for the weight to be there, and second due to they height the rider, if they are an adult anyway is pretty much dragging their feet on the ground as their mount is simply not big enough to get them high enough up to clear the ground.  Think about when you do both these things with children, and how much of a pain it gets as they get bigger and heavier, now imagine trying to do it with an adult male wearing potentially a hundred pounds of armour and weapons, yeh not really going to happen.

Sure you can use magic to in effect bypass that, but as armour and weapons as well as weight reducing magic seems to be not even around in skyrim, even though it was around in pretty much all the other games as enchantment's you could place on armour and weapons.

Of course you could go ignore the human type and go for some sort of automaton, which somewhat side steps the issues as they could have some serious strength going for them, depending on how and what they are built out of. and depending on what they are powered by do not bother with things like fatigue at all, a human scaled automaton could in effect piggy back a six foot tall man wearing hundreds of pounds of armour no problem, but it would look silly as hell.

Edited by Varithina
Spelling issues