(v1.4.3) Mod Organizer 2 & Other tools - From zero to "Hey Sexlab is working!"

15 hours ago, Just Don't said:

This covers the most basic aspects. The final result is ~25 mods installed (give or take depending on some optional components) and a couple of programs on top of that (BethINI, LOOT, SSE Edit, etc.). It's a bit long because I suck at explaining basic things, but the guide is all about explaining basic things. So I did my best and included screenshots for visual aid.

I hope you give this a chance and can get to a working game. If you have any doubts ask away.

I see you use CBBE. Is UNNP set up the same? I never really understood the difference but I know there is an argument on which is better.

4 hours ago, Untolddead said:

I see you use CBBE. Is UNNP set up the same? I never really understood the difference but I know there is an argument on which is better.

UUNP didn't had a release page at the moment I started playing SE. The option was porting UUNP things from the LE files. Now I think there is an UUNP release for SE (here, I think, I don't use these so can't say for sure if this is all you need and note that there is a new variation called BHUNP, but I also don't use that one.). So I went with CBBE because it was easier for me. I recommend it for starters because, totally IMO, it's easier too. After that it can be expanded to CBBE 3BA or completely replaced by UUNP, BHUNP, TBD and any other letter combination you want.

If you already know of other bodies you can use it instead of CBBE from the beginning, just verify you're installing SE compatible files and fulfilling any additional requirements for that body. Also keep that in mind for the rest of the guide, as the body type is mentioned in later steps (Bodyslide and the optional HDT-SMP/3BA step).

edit: one thing I remember is UUNP only has bodyslide files, so you need separate texture mods, whereas CBBE comes with a set of textures in the installer (and bodyslide support for all vanilla outfit). So you would need to find UUNP skin textures and UUNP bodyslide files for all the outfits you intend to use.

Edited by Just Don't

Well first attempt failed. RIP like 6 hours. I noticed when I got to the loot step that mod organizer wasn't using the folder I told it too for some reason. I remember setting it but must have messed up. I changed it to the correct folder and moved all the mods over and reinstalled them. But now LOOT doesn't see them even when opened in mod organizer. I'll try again from scratch tomorrow.

There wasn't anything wrong with the tutorial though. This was my fault.

11 hours ago, Untolddead said:

Well first attempt failed. RIP like 6 hours. I noticed when I got to the loot step that mod organizer wasn't using the folder I told it too for some reason. I remember setting it but must have messed up. I changed it to the correct folder and moved all the mods over and reinstalled them. But now LOOT doesn't see them even when opened in mod organizer. I'll try again from scratch tomorrow.

There wasn't anything wrong with the tutorial though. This was my fault.

Ah, from what you comment I think you should've let LOOT where it was and not move your mods either. The LOOT location is largely irrelevant (I only recommend to direct the install to the working folder just to keep everything in one place). Before trying again make sure to remove LOOT (as any other program, from the Start menu or with the Control Panel). Same goes for your current MO2 instance if you'll make a new one from scratch (that one can be manually deleted). I think you could re-use your current instance and fix some paths, but if starting from scratch sounds easier go ahead.

8 hours ago, 1001ace said:

Im just trying to figure out how to choose the animations instead of having them randomly played for me. I used SL Tools, however when we exit the scene I cannot use my right or left mouse button

SL tools was going to be my recommendation for that. If you experience that bug consistently you could reach the mod author/port maker to narrow down the bug and fix it. I'm not currently using SL tools so I can't say if this is indeed an issue with that mod in particular or how to fix it. 

Edited by Just Don't

Hello I don't understand the point of 11.1A Make a new empty mod and store your files in there. Even when I looked it up on youtube it seemed pointless to me. 

Doesn't the overwrite section at the bottom of the mod list already basically it's own mod folder at the bottom already? or am I mistaken?

Edited by Untolddead
50 minutes ago, Untolddead said:

Doesn't the overwrite section at the bottom of the mod list already basically it's own mod folder at the bottom already? or am I mistaken?

Yes. By default it will load any files with the highest priority. That's something you may want for a basic setup. Definitely not something you want in the long term or if you use multiple profiles or make regular changes to your installed mods... or any other instance where having lingering files loading in every game instance with no control over its priority may cause problems. That's why I mention a couple of times that the best approach here is to keep things in a logical place so you know where to look for these files if you ever need to (to edit them if needed, or remove it if is no longer needed, etc.).

23 minutes ago, Untolddead said:

I kind a feel like I'm likely to break stuff.

By moving files? Go slow and apply what you already know. While doing the BodySlide or FNIS steps you already moved things from Overwrite into a created mod. If you mean in general same advice applies: go slow and check what you know and what you've done. Worst case scenario you put everything where it was before and try again.

10 hours ago, Untolddead said:

One last question does the bodyslide effect only the main character or does it effect npcs too?

All NPCs and player characters (from the regular playable races) unless you have a mod editing the file paths for certain NPCs. For example Bijin mods that alter the appearance of some females will change the face and body textures/meshes, some followers have unique bodies and so on. So unless you use one of these mods, things built in BodySlide will apply to all NPCs. Good to know you got it working in the end.

9 hours ago, Just Don't said:

All NPCs and player characters (from the regular playable races) unless you have a mod editing the file paths for certain NPCs. For example Bijin mods that alter the appearance of some females will change the face and body textures/meshes, some followers have unique bodies and so on. So unless you use one of these mods, things built in BodySlide will apply to all NPCs. Good to know you got it working in the end.

That might be a reason to use mods like that, if you don't want everybody's (or everyone of the same sex) body to be the same as yours.

12 hours ago, axz2 said:

That might be a reason to use mods like that, if you don't want everybody's (or everyone of the same sex) body to be the same as yours.

Of course. There are plenty of mods trying to add variety to body shapes. I tend to go for a simple route so I don't use them.

My point here was clarifying Bodyslide will apply to every NPC unless the user has mods that alter this default behavior. And since no mods like that are covered in the guide, this shouldn't happen unless the user purposely installed other mods.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2021 at 6:33 PM, Just Don't said:

All NPCs and player characters (from the regular playable races) unless you have a mod editing the file paths for certain NPCs.

I always found having more npc diversity sounds great, but quickly uns into conflicts in getting them to integrate with other mods - that's why I always end up having the same body/skeleton for everything.

One exception that does work without problems is the skin texture - mods "Randomly distributed CBBE female body skin" or "Random Female Skin - Bijin Skin".

17 hours ago, maltodaxtrin said:

Just wanted to drop by and thank you for this tutorial.

Although I'm using Aylis' list now, this provided some great information when I was getting started.

:D Cheers !

You're welcome! and thanks for the kind words. Using Aylis' modlist seems like the logical step as it covers plenty of aspects I don't even mention here. I personally don't use any modlist as it is, but I do check it from time to time for inspiration.

1 hour ago, BillyG said:

I always found having more npc diversity sounds great, but quickly uns into conflicts in getting them to integrate with other mods - that's why I always end up having the same body/skeleton for everything.

One exception that does work without problems is the skin texture - mods "Randomly distributed CBBE female body skin" or "Random Female Skin - Bijin Skin".

Yeah, I've always stayed away from these mods. Seems like more trouble to set things up than it's worth for what I want ingame. There is this OBody mod which relies on OStim/OSex to distribute multiple bodyslide presets among NPCs. That's a promising mod if I ever intend to use OStim, or if it's released without it as a requirement.

Hey, I've been using the guide and I'm on step 10 launching the game now and I must have screwed up somewhere but I can't tell where even after trying to fix various things.

skyrim.png.37fa7e0bd9e026d367e15ba2cfb5c77d.png

This is the original error. When I checked it's info it said it was because of Mfg Fix missing a dll so I redownloaded Mfg Fix and overwrote the files. Now the warning pops up no longer in the log however the problem with PapyrusExtender persists regardless of whether or not I have Mfg Fix enabled.

I also noticed some files in my Overwrite after the SSE Edit in step 9 and I'm too scared of messing up somewhere else to randomly move them out from the Overwrite into another folder.

overdrive.png.371de44d0b6ff22d908a9f1fb03b2cfe.png

Could someone help me troubleshoot?

Edited by Raring
28 minutes ago, Raring said:

This is the original error. When I checked it's info it said it was because of Mfg Fix missing a dll so I redownloaded Mfg Fix and overwrote the files. Now the warning pops up no longer in the log however the problem with PapyrusExtender persists regardless of whether or not I have Mfg Fix enabled.

I've seen that error message come up in recent threads, but I can't find specific info about it nor have I experienced myself. I'd start by reinstalling its requirements (Address Library). I would also check if your game/mods are in protected folders (Program Files) or if other programs are preventing regular access (disable antivirus/exclude the relevant folders). That's a very wide and general approach, but as I said I haven't found more specific info for this.

37 minutes ago, Raring said:

I also noticed some files in my Overwrite after the SSE Edit in step 9 and I'm too scared of messing up somewhere else to randomly move them out from the Overwrite into another folder.

The SSE Edit folders can be stored in its own folder. The SKSE folder likely contains log or config files for some mods, you can also store that in a separate folder or drag and drop it in the corresponding mod on your left panel. Step 11 shows you how to deal with these things.

11 hours ago, Just Don't said:

I've seen that error message come up in recent threads, but I can't find specific info about it nor have I experienced myself. I'd start by reinstalling its requirements (Address Library). I would also check if your game/mods are in protected folders (Program Files) or if other programs are preventing regular access (disable antivirus/exclude the relevant folders). That's a very wide and general approach, but as I said I haven't found more specific info for this.

The SSE Edit folders can be stored in its own folder. The SKSE folder likely contains log or config files for some mods, you can also store that in a separate folder or drag and drop it in the corresponding mod on your left panel. Step 11 shows you how to deal with these things.

Cheers, overwriting the Adress Library solved the issue for me. The game/mod folders being in Program Files (x86) seems to not have it affected negatively. 

On 8/8/2021 at 8:01 AM, Raring said:

Cheers, overwriting the Adress Library solved the issue for me. The game/mod folders being in Program Files (x86) seems to not have it affected negatively. 

Good to know. Weird but reinstalling Address Library seems to be the solution here (at least in your case and 2~3 other similar topics I found).

On 8/13/2021 at 8:03 PM, donttouchmethere said:

If I ever use MO and SE it's your fault!

Why would you sin twice? and to make me responsible for it! I won't be held accountable for such crimes. But you're welcome to use the information provided in the guide if you need it, anytime.

19 hours ago, TheRightDoorIsNotTheLeft said:

This is really good work. Thanks for putting this together. I learned a few new things about MO2, like automatically porting BodySlide and FNIS output directly output mods.

Thank you. Happy to see it's still of some use to others.

Your name gave me a micro-headache, good one.

Edited by Just Don't