(v1.4.3) Mod Organizer 2 & Other tools - From zero to "Hey Sexlab is working!"

8 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

What's your current issue? I recall (1) the SKSE not being detected by the game/other mods that do checks and (2) FNIS not creating the behavior files.

1- I thought you already solved by re-registering the SKSE loader executable in MO.

2- I'm not sure if you solved this or as I said in post #369 these files are being created in your already existing FNIS output or "Generated FNIS" because you didn't delete it prior to use FNIS again.

If there is another thing let me know, but I doubt a mod in the wrong place can cause the issues I mention above.

no, those got solved, but there has been a much bigger issue than this, so i just wanted someone i trust to look over my mod list and see if anything i did wrong in how they are ordered. that was all

26 minutes ago, YojimboRatchet said:

there has been a much bigger issue than this

What is it? I try to keep track of the comments here but a little reminder or quotes for a quick view wouldn't hurt.

If the order you want me to check is the modlist/left panel there is a high chance you have mods I don't use so there is no way for me to be aware of the active conflicts in your modlist. This is something you must check using the conflict flags (step 11.2) and the mod info window (the one you get by double clicking a mod in your left panel) and going to the Conflicts tab in there to see individual files that are conflicting.

i posted everything in earlier posts. i also posted in the cursed loot thread as well. not getting anywhere. i passed my frustration limit, so i wiped it all out again for like the 4th time in the last week. not sure i'm going to reinstall anything right now. it isn't worth it when i'm not getting any answers from anywhere even with searching on google or posting on various threads. so for now i'm giving up.

4 hours ago, YojimboRatchet said:

i posted everything in earlier posts. i also posted in the cursed loot thread as well. not getting anywhere.

Yeah but I can't remember everything that has been posted. And sure, I could go back and look for all the recent posts from you, but that's time I could invest elsewhere. If you want me to look at a specific issue you can totally do so, but make it easy for me and tell me what the issue is instead of saying you already posted it before. I already told you which are the issues I remember you had, and you already told me it's something else but don't mention what's the problem.

Do you mean this?

On 10/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, YojimboRatchet said:

ok, serious effin problem here. no idea what the hell is going on but maybe you have heard of this. was having issues with cursed loot and massive amounts of errors earlier, tonight though, after taking a break for an hour, i come back, i run FNIS, and my overwrite has the "tools" folder but empty. then when i start a "new" game, i get spammed with error messages while it loads, about PapyrusUtil being outdated and Spank that Ass won't run, and few others, and then i get Skyui messages about not having the proper SKSE version, it's expecting verion XXXX, but that my current version is 0.0.0.0 (yeah windows shows version 0.0.0.0), then i get an SKSE message that my version 0.0.0.0 needs to be updated, to shut the game down and to check if a new version is ready or wait until it's updated.

1. Cursed Loot: what issues??? you've said you posted this in the support thread for that mod, so that's where you should get your help. I don't cover that mod here and I don't use it at all so I couldn't be of any help here, even if I knew what are your issues with this mod.
  2. Massive amount of errors: which errors? does it has to do with the things mentioned a bit below? (point 3).
  3. Empty Tools from FNIS: I don't know what was this, but according to you it was solved.
  4. Error spam on new game: I guess this is your game not detecting SKSE properly which again according to you it was solved by re-registering the SKSE loader executable in MO.

So even after going back to your previous replies here I don't know what's the issue...

4 hours ago, YojimboRatchet said:

i passed my frustration limit, so i wiped it all out again for like the 4th time in the last week. not sure i'm going to reinstall anything right now. it isn't worth it when i'm not getting any answers from anywhere even with searching on google or posting on various threads. so for now i'm giving up.

I told you a long time ago, I don't see the point in reinstalling things from scratch if you're using MO. Unless you're doing something fundamentally wrong, reinstalling mods and programs is a pure waste of time. If the issue is a mod not installed correctly you can reinstall it, MO will leave no traces of your previous installs (if you remove old installs from the modlist or just by picking replace when MO asks you what to do with the old and new install of the same mod). If your issue is you're configuring a tool improperly to be used with MO you could check the settings you have v/s the instructions and pinpoint the problem, edit the settings and see if it fixes the problem. The same goes for pretty much everything you need to do here, if you installed something wrong you can 2 click remove it, your game is as good as new. The only reason for doing a total reinstall would be if you went on a drunking modding rage and installed things manually into your actual game folder (in which case a simple game removal+reinstall of the game + SKSE would be enough, everything else should be safe in your MO portable instance).

Skyrim.ini

SkyrimPrefs.ini

they exist together in:

• Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition
  • MO2 - Profiles/Default

SkyrimPrefs.ini also exists in

• Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Skyrim

there is also a Skyrim_Default.ini in

• Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition

this same folder also has the same Low, Medium, High, Ultra INI files that BethINI also uses

the Default Profile in MO2 also has a skyrimcustom.ini which seems to be the same thing as the Skyrim_Default.ini from the Steam folder.

now, if the MO2 profile INI files are disabled when turning off the Profile Specific INI files option in the Manage Profile section of the profile window, that leaves only the INI files in the Documents folder and the Steam folder.

every guide points to the INI files in the documents folder as the ones to watch out for, but then, if that's the case, why are there the same files in the Steam folder which are the original files when the game is installed ? should those matter at all ?

i ask this last question due to the logic that, when installing SKSE, and even ENB files, those go into that same STEAM folder, and not in the My Documents folder. yet MO2 uses both of these from the Steam folder, but the INI files are not ?

how does the game know that the INI files in documents are the ones to use when ENB's ini files are in the steam folder ? i cannot seem to find any information on this using Google that clarifies those differences at all.

-------------------------------------

about LOOT. i am not getting this one thing. when running loot, in the LOOT window after it's run, when scrolling through the results, i see words in green and sometimes in red, which are apparently referred to as "bash words", which i don't quite get even after reading the documentation and a few other guides online. if a word appears in red, what does it mean exactly ? like i see C "location name" C "person name" C "object name" in red sometimes, but not listed anywhere else in the details of the other sorted results. what does it mean ?

1 hour ago, YojimboRatchet said:

every guide points to the INI files in the documents folder as the ones to watch out for, but then, if that's the case, why are there the same files in the Steam folder which are the original files when the game is installed ? should those matter at all ?

The ini files in the game folder are the vanilla presets you get after launching the game for the first time. They're there in case the game needs to restore the default presets, the vanilla launcher will just grab a copy of the proper ini file and put it in the expected location (Documents\My Games\Skyrim... etc.). These files are installed there as part of the usual installation and should not be removed or edited. That's why I don't even mention them.

i ask this last question due to the logic that, when installing SKSE, and even ENB files, those go into that same STEAM folder, and not in the My Documents folder. yet MO2 uses both of these from the Steam folder, but the INI files are not ?

how does the game know that the INI files in documents are the ones to use when ENB's ini files are in the steam folder ? i cannot seem to find any information on this using Google that clarifies those differences at all.

That's not how the game is programmed to work. Simply as that. As I said the ones in the game folder are there as a backup. The game will always use the ones in the expected location (Documents\My games....), unless you handle things through MO and its profile-specific-ini feature.

about LOOT. i am not getting this one thing. when running loot, in the LOOT window after it's run, when scrolling through the results, i see words in green and sometimes in red, which are apparently referred to as "bash words", which i don't quite get even after reading the documentation and a few other guides online. if a word appears in red, what does it mean exactly ? like i see C "location name" C "person name" C "object name" in red sometimes, but not listed anywhere else in the details of the other sorted results. what does it mean ?

Wrye Bash. These words are for making and dealing with bashed patches or something. If you use it check its documentation, otherwise these tags are of no use to you.

30 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

That's not how the game is programmed to work. Simply as that. As I said the ones in the game folder are there as a backup. The game will always use the ones in the expected location (Documents\My games....), unless you handle things through MO and its profile-specific-ini feature.

doesn't really answer my question though. i noticed last week that, i had a specific setting to use Full screen mode. it was set in my INI properly. i wasn't using the MO2 profile ini files. now, when i launched the game through MO2 using SKSE, it worked fine. had no issues. but once i set up the ENB files, i also had that setting in the ENB files as well, but when i launched the game through MO2 using SKSE, it would do a half and half. and then hang on the windowed mode while waiting to go to full screen, but that never happened unless i clicked in the window to make it full screen.

that is when i saw the skyrim ini files in the steam folder and wondered, if using ENB ini files, does it start a conflict between the skyrim ini files since the ENB ini files are stored in the Steam folder and not my documents ?

for this, i can't find an answer.

that is when i saw the skyrim ini files in the steam folder and wondered, if using ENB ini files, does it start a conflict between the skyrim ini files since the ENB ini files are stored in the Steam folder and not my documents ?

for this, i can't find an answer.

I already told you. No. That's not how the game works. The game or ENB won't conflict with the inis in the game folder because these are not used for anything other than to grab a copy of them if the ones in your Documents\my games\etc- are missing. Can you imagine if things would work like that? EVERYONE would have issues then, because EVERYONE has these ini files in their game folders and in the documents\my games\etc- folder. That's how things have worked since the day this game was released.

You're likely editing the wrong files or mixing them. With the recommended install settings as they are right now, you should only worry about the set of ini files in your Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition. MO shouldn't use profile specific inis and you should not edit, move, delete or deal in the slightest with the ones in your game folder.

9 hours ago, Just Don't said:

You're likely editing the wrong files or mixing them

not likely. chances of that are like Zero. i had been using the ones in my documents only. it's only when the stupid issues started that i started looking at things and asking questions to better understand the "hows" and "whys". i haven't touched any of the ini files in the other folders at all. i look, i see and i ask questions. nothing more than this.

as of right now, i still don't have answers, but i have a few leads. so i rolled back my MO2 and SKSE versions on a fresh install and so i'll know by tomorrow, if and what the issues were.

3 hours ago, YojimboRatchet said:

not likely. chances of that are like Zero. i had been using the ones in my documents only. it's only when the stupid issues started that i started looking at things and asking questions to better understand the "hows" and "whys". i haven't touched any of the ini files in the other folders at all. i look, i see and i ask questions. nothing more than this.

If I go back to your previous replies here you tell a different story for the full screen thing

On 10/19/2020 at 2:38 PM, YojimboRatchet said:

yeahhhhh, case in point, one ini had the full window mode turned off, and the other ini had it turned on. so when i copied the INI from documents into the MO2 profiles, it fixed it up.

Sounds like you mixing the inis because you still were using MO profile specific ones but you were editing the ones in your Documents\... right?

3 hours ago, YojimboRatchet said:

as of right now, i still don't have answers, but i have a few leads. so i rolled back my MO2 and SKSE versions on a fresh install and so i'll know by tomorrow, if and what the issues were.

What would constitute a valid answer for you? Because I'm seriously considering you're just trolling at this point. Looking at things like "oh I have enb in the skyrim folder and there are also some ini files there, wouldn't the game mess things up?" it's not logical or critical thinking. I've already told you twice, the ini files in your game folder are there as a backup if the game needs a new set of vanilla presets.

Going back to previous versions of SKSE or MO won't change a thing, but that's surely not believable for you, right? So keep trying with different versions of everything, keep looking at every weirdly named file in the whole game, keep deleting everything and start from scratch to do the same procedure over and over. But please, don't fill this thread with your nonsense. I really appreciated your genuine interest in learning, but at this point you've exceded my patience.

1 hour ago, Just Don't said:

Sounds like you mixing the inis because you still were using MO profile specific ones but you were editing the ones in your Documents\... right?

no, that's when i copied over the settings "in case" the conflict was happening between both places. i had already set the MO2 profile not to use those INI files. i copied "only" in case something stupid was happening. hence why i said, i discovered stuff once i started looking around at my folders. so my comment stands true. i have only modified the Documents ones and nothing more.

1 hour ago, Just Don't said:

Because I'm seriously considering you're just trolling at this point.

i see... thank you. i will keep to myself then and trouble you no further, as i certainly do not want to be considered a troll for my honest efforts to learn and understand. take care.

On 10/29/2020 at 2:47 PM, YojimboRatchet said:

i see... thank you. i will keep to myself then and trouble you no further, as i certainly do not want to be considered a troll for my honest efforts to learn and understand. take care.

The problem for me is you insist in looking for answers for problems that don't exist. If you're experiencing problems with how you've set things up you should look into what's covered in this guide and what you have done. If I don't mention the ini files in the game folder is because these are not used at all and thus have no relevance.

You're free to post and ask if you have issues with the written instructions or mods covered here. For problems related to mods not covered here I'd prefer that you direct those questions to the support thread for that mod. If you have doubts about other parts and features of the mods/game that are not covered here I'd prefer that you ask those questions elsewhere.

Hi...just want to thank you for this guide! I just started playing skyrim and have about 300 hrs in so far. Started to add mods and stuff "checking them out" mostly. In this guide you have us install RaceMenu...turns out it is Version 0.4.16 That's all cool...works fine...been using it for 300 hrs with no issues at all...growing into skyrim and expanding my mods i find they are calling for RaceMenu v3. I search and sure enough...there is a RaceMenu v0.4.16 and a RaceMenu v3.4.5 are these two separate mods or what...are they the same just the v3.4.5 is current and should use that? Can you explain the two please and why use v0.4.16 over v3 I am so freaking confused at this point over the two "RaceMenu" deal it hurts LOL and no one will explain of forums I have tried to find out...any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, neotox said:

Hi...just want to thank you for this guide! I just started playing skyrim and have about 300 hrs in so far. Started to add mods and stuff "checking them out" mostly. In this guide you have us install RaceMenu...turns out it is Version 0.4.16 That's all cool...works fine...been using it for 300 hrs with no issues at all...growing into skyrim and expanding my mods i find they are calling for RaceMenu v3. I search and sure enough...there is a RaceMenu v0.4.16 and a RaceMenu v3.4.5 are these two separate mods or what...are they the same just the v3.4.5 is current and should use that? Can you explain the two please and why use v0.4.16 over v3 I am so freaking confused at this point over the two "RaceMenu" deal it hurts LOL and no one will explain of forums I have tried to find out...any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Racemenu 3.4.5 is the one from regular or "LE" Skyrim (I guess 3.1 too, the SE compatible versions are only below 0.4,X). You can't use that if you're playing Skyrim SE.

Those mods asking for Racemenu version +3.something must be mods from regular Skyrim too. Be careful with these, you shouldn't be using LE mods in SE unless you know these work without porting.

On 10/27/2020 at 1:40 PM, YojimboRatchet said:

Just Don't, can you look at my mod list i posted a few days ago here (it's reversed for some reason when i back it up from MO2), and send me a PM about it ? mostly looking for anything you think i have placed in the wrong order that might be causing the bullshit chaos right now.. thanks

Run it through here which sorts it out for being reversed https://miniwebtool.com/reverse-lines/

No idea why mo changed things to work that way as at one point it put it out the way you had it sorted in the left pane, with the base game esm at the top.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for this detailed and clear guide.

I have 2 questions.

1-Is it safe for my current mod set to change the game localization (for example from English to Spanish)

2-What files should I copy to make a backup of current mods (mods folder in MO and modlist, anything else?)

2 hours ago, Salutaris said:

1-Is it safe for my current mod set to change the game localization (for example from English to Spanish)

Yes. That change shouldn't make any difference (although you might see some modded content in english while the rest of your game is in spanish... por eso empecé a jugar en inglés hace años y nunca he vuelto atrás). I think changing language in Steam for Skyrim SE should be enough (then you can check that lang is set to spanish in the skyrim.ini in your Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition).

2 hours ago, Salutaris said:

2-What files should I copy to make a backup of current mods (mods folder in MO and modlist, anything else?)

• ...\MO2\mods: contains all the installed mods in your left panel.
  • ...\MO2\profiles\<profile name>: contains profile specific information. In particular: the loadorder.txt and modlist.txt saves the order in which the mods are loaded in the right and left panel respectively. If you save these text files (or the entire <profile name> folder) you can restore that information to preserve the order in which you had your mods in both right and left panels.
  • ...\MO2\Overwrite and ...\MO2\downloads if you have any files in there that you want to keep (but for Overwrite you should always move them to their own mod or another place).

That's what I recall. Then you can paste those folders/files in the new MO2 install location (or the same MO2 install to restore your previous files).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, Just Don't said:
  • ...\MO2\mods: contains all the installed mods in your left panel.
  • ...\MO2\profiles\<profile name>: contains profile specific information. In particular: the loadorder.txt and modlist.txt saves the order in which the mods are loaded in the right and left panel respectively. If you save these text files (or the entire <profile name> folder) you can restore that information to preserve the order in which you had your mods in both right and left panels.
  • ...\MO2\Overwrite and ...\MO2\downloads if you have any files in there that you want to keep (but for Overwrite you should always move them to their own mod or another place).

?

I'll 'borrow' that part for the guide... ;)

4 hours ago, Aylis said:

?

I'll 'borrow' that part for the guide... ;)

Stop right there, criminal scum! Nobody breaks the law on my watch!

Step 15 has that and other relevant folders/files. Feel free to include any part of this in your guide. I'm glad it's also useful to you.