Where can I edit NPC replacer texture paths?

0x8421

I like my NPCs non-default but I definitely don't like pasting the same textures into 20 different locations when I decide I want to change around my skin textures to try a new thing.  So I want to create my own little patch that will do nothing but change the texture paths from Bijin Warmidens 00 or whatever to a common location or three that I can specify (and maybe save some VRAM in the process by not filling it up with what are essentially clones of the same files? not sure how that works in practice).

Anyway, links to a guide or just an idea of where to look and what tool to use to do this would be faboo.

You are coming at it from the wrong direction, I think.

For replacers such as Bijin or Ordinary Women you just paste the texture files which you want to try into the corresponding Bijin or OW folders. In other words you move the texture files to the path rather than change the path to the textures.

First in the Bijin Warmidens meshes folder replace the meshes with that of your character, these are already assigned textures. then erase all textures except those of the heads. In the TES5Edit in texture set, delete all the bodies, hands and feet (the latter only if there is one, I don't remember well). Needless to say, make a backup. But if I remember correctly, it was exactly what I did because of the same thing that you propose

Either TESVEdit or Creation Kit would allow you to change texture paths of NPC's.

But, there would be a lot more work involved in changing the texture paths of all the NPC's that are overhauled by Bijin from the (what I can see) 8 folders that they currently use (3 for NPC's 3 for Warmaidens and 2 for Wives) since you would need to change each record individually than adding the textures files you want to use into these locations.

20 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

Either TESVEdit or Creation Kit would allow you to change texture paths of NPC's.

But, there would be a lot more work involved in changing the texture paths of all the NPC's that are overhauled by Bijin from the (what I can see) 8 folders that they currently use (3 for NPC's 3 for Warmaidens and 2 for Wives) since you would need to change each record individually than adding the textures files you want to use into these locations.

Nah, they all use the same naked armor records. Some may use an unique one, but there isn't much work to be done if we are talking body textures alone.

Just fire xEdit and start replacing the texture path in the ARMA (Armor Addon) records. You can script it out with Delphi if you know what you are doing.

16 minutes ago, Hawk9969 said:

Nah, they all use the same naked armor records. Some may use an unique one, but there isn't much work to be done if we are talking body textures alone.

Just fire xEdit and start replacing the texture path in the ARMA (Armor Addon) records. You can script it out with Delphi if you know what you are doing.

I don't mind be being proved wrong, in  fact, I expect it to happen more often than not.

But..

image.png.20a112a2005df810a7f5d55ea8419627.png

If I'm reading/understanding that incorrectly. There's on 3 locations for their texture files but that looks like all use individual records.

9 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

I don't mind be being proved wrong, in  fact, I expect it to happen more often than not.

But..

image.png.20a112a2005df810a7f5d55ea8419627.png

If I'm reading/understanding that incorrectly. There's on 3 locations for their texture files but that looks like all use individual records.

Look at where "NAM1 - Female Skin Texture" points. Most of them point to the same texture record (MultiTorso or something like that). Only a few of them have unique texture records.

All you need to do is edit the texture records.

5 minutes ago, Hawk9969 said:

Look at where "NAM1 - Female Skin Texture" points. Most of them point to the same texture record (MultiTorso or something like that). Only a few of them have unique texture records.

I think perhaps we have different versions of the Mod, or I don't understand what you're trying to tell me.. either is totally possible :)

image.png.a12eb0ee8bcfbdbf1ed713314a5d135f.png

Why are you all making such hard work of this?

The texture path is here:

Using Camilla as an example.

Data\textures\actors\character\Bijin Wives 00\

Bijin.thumb.jpg.50b6b2eaa93c61cb769b0686e45f87ae.jpg

You don't have to do anything with this. Just copy and paste the 12 files from whatever texture mod you choose into that folder. 4 x body, 4 x head and 4 x hands. Done.

You don't have to go anywhere near TESVEdit or the CK, you can get the file path from the Bijin archive assuming you downloaded it.

Ye gods.

951985145_Bijin1.thumb.jpg.0b12a605e20eb5801d3c6ab1ec30921a.jpg

1 hour ago, Hawk9969 said:

That's odd. I do run the AIO esp but I've edited it in the past.

As for the OP, if you don't want to mess with the esp and your intention is merely to save on disk space, simply use hard links.

And here is my old Delphi code that I'd used back in 2018 to remove all "Worn Armor" entries from The Men of Winter as to force the NPCs to use the main body meshes and textures.

1. Place the file at xEdit\Edit Scripts.
  2. Run xEdit and only load the plugins with NPC records that you want to perform this operation on.
  3. Once loaded, select the plugins, right click and click "Apply Script".
  4. Select "Remove Worn Armor" from the list and click ok.
  5. Once finished, save and exit.

Remove Worn Armor.pas

41 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

All the OP will achieve by doing that will be to make every NPC use the same texture set.

If that is all the OP wants, rather than have the option of different groups of NPCs using different textures and being able to quickly change them about then I have misunderstood what he is trying to achieve.

That is what i understand when i read "to a common location" because making that all NPC's from a lot of mods use the same textures located in "a common location" and to change all NPC's from a lot of mods from mature skin to fair skin, all at the sametime, only need make one copy/paste operation.

The way of copy the textures inside the folders of each mod is the way used by 90% of the people because is the most easy way and, as you say, not need touch the ESP's and allow have a diferent texture in each mod ussing, for example, mature skin for Bijin and leyenda for Ordinary woman.

Seems that the OP make that for years and now the OP want have "a common location" for all the textures of all the npc's from all the mods making all of them use the same textures. And the only way is modify the ESP's.

50 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

This I don't understand. My textures are in the original folders for whichever NPC overhaul I am using. I don't see how, say, textures for 200 NPCs totalling 1GB and being in one folder would use more VRAM than the same coming from different folders. Maybe I am wrong here but I would still prefer the flexibility of my method to a saving of VRAM which I don't need.

Think a bit in how works internally the computers.

The game, the video driver and the video card only make exactly what is ordered.

The game read the ESP's and read the NPC's records and read the ARMO/ARMA records. If in that records put that each NPC/ARMA/ARMO use "diferent" textures, really, are ussing "diferent" textures. And the game read each "diferent" texture and put it in RAM and transfer it to the VRAM and the video card use each "diferent" copy of each texture for each NPC/ARMA/ARMO because the ESP's say that.

If the textures are in "diferent" folders is automatically asumed that the textures are really "diferent". And the game read each file and put it in RAM and transfer it to the VRAM and the video card use each "diferent" copy of each "identical" texture to fill each mesh of each npc.

No matter if really the textures are identical. The game, the video driver and the video card not make a digital comparation of the textures.  You know that are identical because you copy it manually.

But for the machine are "diferent" because are in diferent folders and each one of the ESP's reffer to "diferent" textures and the game and the video card process it as "diferent".

Of course, that waste RAM, Vram, CPU, reduce framerate... and that is not a problem when we have enougth computer power. But when we want play at 4k resolution with 4k textures in a machine that not have enougth power the proposed solution of modify the ESP's for make all the npc's use the same texture from the same folder is the best solution.

Archived