Anyone familar with the SetBody mod?

Pixie-K

Just now, Pixie-K said:

Swapping the names of the launcher and the actual game seems to have fixed the launcher idiocy

Guess that fix could work, but check if OBSE loads properly; may be some fuckery there if the game exe is named "OblivionLauncher" and OBSE is trying to hook into "Oblivion" instead. And if it doesn't work, see if setting up the force-load DLL option in MO2 for the "launcher" gets it to work.

26 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

BTW, fejeena, while your guide there is great to get the game set up and working, you should really update the "OBSE and Steam" section with the info I linked above about MO2. That new method is way easier than running it all through the Steam interface and it worked just fine the last time I tried it.

Only very few people use MO  and many people how try it have problems to get it to work with Oblivion.  Seems fine with Skyrim.

That's why I do not even mention MO in my link.  Would be confusing if I post a Link for MO and OBSE.

EDIT: OK I add it in the OBSE spoiler.

MO is not shit some people love it, but it seems hard to install.

I only use OBMM. Yes it is old and the TESModmangers seems to be better, but the old thing works fine.

OK with WyreBash you can solve some load order problems . . . but I change the esm and esp if I have such problems.

Bah, this is why I fucking hate Steam and all their cronies that is DRM.

If you're starting from scratch, why not just use Wrye Bash and be done with it instead.

Also remember that Steam has a nasty habit of locking up your ini file. Some people experience a problem with archive invalidation because of that.

17 minutes ago, fejeena said:

Only very few people use MO  and many people how try it have problems to get it to work with Oblivion.  Seems fine with Skyrim.

That's why I do not even mention MO in my link.  Would be confusing if I post a Link for MO and OBSE.

I seriously doubt "only very few people" use MO2, seeing how it's the most recommended mod manager for all the current Beth games. And while I do agree it was (note the use of past tense here) difficult to get it to work with Oblivion and specially with the Steam version of Oblivion, that update and extra functionality was added with the specific purpose of making MO2 fully functional for Oblivion.

I speak from experience when I say Oblivion and MO2 get along just fine if you use that tweak.

14 minutes ago, Pixie-K said:

Great... so MO is a load of shit? What Mod Manager would you all recommend?

MO2 is most certainly not a load of shit, and in fact is the most recommended mod manager, stay away from that load of shit that is Vortex instead. Ignore what fejeena says, that info is outdated.

EDIT: didn't see fejeena's following post, don't ignore all the info, just the part about MO2 being problematic with Oblivion.

6 minutes ago, fejeena said:

Why do we have here someone with a Oblivion -MO2-Steam problem when the info is outdated ? :classic_wink:

Because I'm pretty sure she wasn't using the fix. I don't know if they have updated the description on MO2's download page in the Nexus ever since, but I only found out about it by checking the GitHub wiki, so the info may be easy to miss for anyone that doesn't think to check the GitHub.

(That's why is also important to link the fix in the guide so people actually know about it)

Also the "launcher loop" has nothing to do with MO2, there's several threads reporting the bug in 100% vanilla installs.

Alright... Fuck Steam. I'm getting a "free" copy from the interwebs, and it won't be considered piracy because I already own the game on steam. I never had a problem with a rip of the physical disk version.

3 minutes ago, Pixie-K said:

I'm getting a "free" copy from the interwebs

No you are not, and even if you actually are, you "are not", because LL does not allow or support piracy. But we only know what you tell us, right? :classic_rolleyes:

If people have to use google to find the MO2 fix on GitHub wiki  then MO2 is hard to install. ( or worthless for people who does not find the fix )

And I have Linked the fix in my OBSE spoiler.  But I am sure there are not many MO Oblivion user, it is really not the most used MM for this Beth game.

Just now, fejeena said:

If people have to use google to find the MO2 fix on GitHub wiki  then MO2 is hard to install. ( or worthless for people who does not find the fix )

Good thing it's now on the guide so it's easier for people to find it, right? Everybody wins here.

IT'S WORKING IT'S FINALLY FUCKING WORKING! EVERYTHING IS WORKING NOW (fucking steam DRM, go GOG)

Now Wrye Bash is suiciding on load. I launch it through MO, it loads, then exits. I need to create a bashed patch but am unable to with this current problem.

20 minutes ago, Pixie-K said:

Now Wrye Bash is suiciding on load. I launch it through MO, it loads, then exits. I need to create a bashed patch but am unable to with this current problem.

Bash worked through MO2 just fine for me. Does it work if you launch it manually outside of it? Try reinstalling it from scratch and running it as an admin once outside of MO, and see if it works; if it does, run it through MO again and see what happens. IIRC Bash has do some stuff during the first bootup that may not play nice with MO's virtual file system, that could be the problem.

16 minutes ago, fejeena said:

Good that it is easy to get MO2 to work :classic_wink:

:classic_dodgy:

Where did the evil mod manager touch you? 'Cause it sounds like you have a grudge or something. Jeez.

I dunno, it worked fine on my end, what do you want me to say? I just want people to know it's a viable option for Oblivion (or at least it was for me), because I for example can't play without it now, so if it didn't work for Oblivion I don't think I would ever go back to the game at all. I bet I'm not the only one, MO is just too convenient to not use it. Sorry for trying to help, I guess.

31 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

Bash worked through MO2 just fine for me. Does it work if you launch it manually outside of it? Try reinstalling it from scratch and running it as an admin once outside of MO, and see if it works; if it does, run it through MO again and see what happens. IIRC Bash has do some stuff during the first bootup that may not play nice with MO's virtual file system, that could be the problem.

You've saved my life. That was ALL I had to do.

EDIT: I should have known it was too good to be true. Everything is working as it should EXCEPT for Setbody. The spells work, the menus work, but no changes take place.

1 hour ago, Pixie-K said:

EDIT: I should have known it was too good to be true. Everything is working as it should EXCEPT for Setbody. The spells work, the menus work, but no changes take place.

SetBody reloaded ?  Then I am sure you have only installed the esp and not the core file.

Or you do not have Blockhed installed.

If you still use the Designer_Body_Spell I do not know what's wrong.

--------------------------------

Blaze69. I say it again MO2 is not bad and I know the people who use it love it.

Seems a very good tool for Skyrim, and so in most cases it are Skyrim users who want to use MO2  for Oblivion, they loved the tool and also want it in Oblivion,

But I still say it is hart to get it to work.  And I do not talk about posts in the last years , I talk about "problem" post this year, so I know it is still hard to get it to work right.

And I am not the only one who says for Oblivion it is "better" or "easier" to use OBMM or WryeBash withOBMM for the O-Mods.

But if it is so easy why I have read post about MO2 problems this year  but no OBMM or WyreBash problem posts ?

Sorry I do not use the tool so I don't know if the install instruction are so bad that still people have problems to install and use it.

1 hour ago, Pixie-K said:

Everything is working as it should EXCEPT for Setbody. The spells work, the menus work, but no changes take place.

As fejeena said, either the Blockhead OBSE plugin is missing/not properly installed, or the SetBody body meshes themselves are missing. Reinstall both (and in the case of SetBody, make sure to download all main files, as IIRC the meshes are in a separate file from the main plugin/ini).

39 minutes ago, fejeena said:

But I still say it is hart to get it to work.  And I do not talk about posts in the last years , I talk about "problem" post this year, so I know it is still hard to get it to work right.

And I am not the only one who says for Oblivion it is "better" or "easier" to use OBMM or WryeBash withOBMM for the O-Mods.

But if it is so easy why I have read post about MO2 problems this year  but no OBMM or WyreBash problem posts ?

Sorry I do not use the tool so I don't know if the install instruction are so bad that still people have problems to install and use it.

The thing with MO is that its main strength is also its main weakness: the virtual file system.

The good thing about it is that the game folder is actually 100% untouched. The mods are installed into their own separate folder each, and when you run the game it uses some special Windows functions to trick Oblivion (or whichever game you are using it with) into believing all the mods are installed together in the Data folder even though they aren't. That way, it's extremely easy to solve mod conflicts or check which files are "overwritten" by which, to keep mods isolated and independent from each other, to return to a 100% vanilla unaltered install (just need to run the game manually instead of through MO), etc. That's why people like it so much, it's basically distilled convenience, lol.

Downside is that this virtual file system (VFS) thing is a bit wonky sometimes, and depending on what files you try to use it on, it can be buggy. So for example programs like Bash that were never meant to work with the VFS and/or that do stuff outside of the game's "Data" folder can get borked. So yeah, it takes a bit of work to get MO set up, but once you do, it's totally worth it (at least IMO).

Also, check this very thread, we just found out Bash has to be run once manually outside of MO before it can be used with it. May have been a problem before, but now we can add it to the guide so people in the future don't have issues running Bash through MO. I'm sure people also did things wrong in the early days of OBMM, until they learned the right way and it all became easy. This is the same, the only difference is the Oblivion modding community isn't very active by now and MO is a recent thing (even more in the case of the OBSE fix for it), so it's basically us alone having to figure out how things work.

Archived