Anyone familar with the SetBody mod?

Pixie-K

I have always been a user of SetBody, and lost track of it for many years after my hiatus from Oblivion. Turns out it was re-released under a different name (Designer Body Spell). I was elated that I finally found the damn thing, but to no avail; it seems to be broken and it looks like the author has long since abandoned it.

The actual issue I am having with it is that the spells for changing body types do not get added to my spell list, making the whole thing unusable.

If you're wondering what the heck I am even talking about, it's this pile of shit.

I used the mod many years without problem.

If the spell is not added it must be a problem in your game. ( Of course you have the esp enabled in the Modmanager. And you have not used Nexus Modmanger to install the Mod )

Have you tried to add the spell with the console ?

Use TES4Edit , search the spell, note down the ID

In game open the console

Player.addspell xxyyyyyy

xx = the load order number ( you see it in the Mod manager )

And yyyyyy the 6 ID numbers.

You can use other SetBody Mods

SetBody 2ch-Edition_TSpec   ( works with Tamago )

Or SetBody reloaded  https://www.loverslab.com/topic/13908-setbody-reloaded/page/18/?tab=comments#comment-491779

But I do recognize the op's avatar. I can still find his post in the setbody thread here in loverslab. He was a bit irritated by something, complained and then got a fix, appologized, lived happily ever after. He should recognize setbody reloaded. Yet he still seeks another setbody.

I know why... he's body-snatched! Everyone hand me a drop of your blood and I shall test them with a flamethrower.

May the original Pixie-K rest in peace. Preferably in one piece. And may the filthy body snatcher's ghost be toast.

10 hours ago, movomo said:

But I do recognize the op's avatar. I can still find his post in the setbody thread here in loverslab. He was a bit irritated by something, complained and then got a fix, appologized, lived happily ever after. He should recognize setbody reloaded. Yet he still seeks another setbody.

I know why... he's body-snatched! Everyone hand me a drop of your blood and I shall test them with a flamethrower.

May the original Pixie-K rest in peace. Preferably in one piece. And may the filthy body snatcher's ghost be toast.

First of all, that "body-snatch" issue got fixed. Mr. BadGrammar has gone back to whatever stank-hole he crawled out of, and anything he uploaded has been removed by yours truly.

Secondly, I was in a car wreck many years ago that has permanently affected my memory, and if I have posted this before, I apologize. I was also pretty stoned when I posted this, lol

I am not without thanks, though

Thank you SO much for (re-?)finding this for me!

PS: It's she, not he...

EDIT: Still the same problem with this version too. Spells not being added; It's as though I don't even have the mod installed. (Yes I remembered to grab the data pack this time haha)

Uh, that's weird. The mod is supposed to add these two spells every time you load a game.

00080B

00080C

One is self and one is touch. You can add them through console, but I fear something else might not be working right.

Do you see any OBSE error messages in the console?

If you were using that Body Designer mod, delete it and perform a clean install.

After that you can check if the main quest is running by

GetQuestRunning BombshellQuest

Good news, bad news.

The console command GetQuestRunning BombshellQuest returned a value of 1, so it was active. The other commands to add the spells also worked. That's just weird that it didn't automatically add them to my spells.

Bad news; the spells do nothing. 

Worse news; I'm not getting any error messages in the console either.

1 hour ago, Pixie-K said:

Bad news; the spells do nothing. 

Worse news; I'm not getting any error messages in the console either.

Did you make sure to install the Blockhead OBSE plugin? Do you have a fully working install of the latest OBSE? Does the "GetOBSEVersion" console command return any results? What mod manager are you using?

Yes I have Blockhead, OBSE is up to date, and "GetOBSEVersion" returns an error of Script Command "GetOBSEVersion" Not Found . 

I'm close to pulling my hair out over this.

Oh, and I'm using Mod Organizer 2 mainly, in conjunction with OBMM and Wrye Bash.

EDIT: The version of OBSE I am using is an odd one designed to allow it to work on a Steam version of the game. I'm starting to hate Steam(ing pile of shit)

You need OBSE21 . And the new OBSE versions  work with steam.

You start the game with Steam or the Oblivion exe  ( Not with the OBSE loader exe !!!!  And never with the Oblivion launcher exe )

Yes without the right OBSE version SetBody will never work.

After a little googling of "OBSE21" I came across some useful info, and am now in the process of moving Oblivion out of the Program Files (x86) location... I'm willing to bet that's more than half of my problem right there. >_<

I'll update this post after I'm done trying that and your info, fejeena.

EDIT: I did everything as explained to a "T". Still no dice.

Oblivion is now installed to C:\Games\Oblivion, MO2 has had all it's program launch targets re-adjusted, OBSE has been re-done, I made a fresh save,                   everything is in it's place. I'm still absolutely dumbfounded as to why setbody refuses to work as it should.

EDIT 2: It's not just Setbody that isn't working, a couple other unrelated mods that rely on OBSE are broken too. Odd though, many other mods that use it ARE working fine, just a certain few are dead. I now know that my OBSE is the culprit, but I have no idea what is actually going wrong with it, or how to fix it.

EDIT 3: I broke down and decided to move my entire steam install to the games folder. The OblivionLauncher is now picking up on all my mods, but won't run OBSE with it. Attempting to run the game from steam like I'm supposed to be doing results in the dreaded and forsaken OblivionLauncher jumping in to piss on my party. And then crash. Manually running OBSE from MO results in the same problem that started this entire thread. So I fixed one problem and created another.

What you googled ????   Have you never clicked my yellow Link below ?

There you can read that you do not install the game in  program filesx86  and how to move steam and the game out of that folder and how you start OBSE with steam.

And OblivionLauncher ??  The OblivionLauncher  exe ??  YOU NEVER USE THIS SHIT THING. Your stettings you can change in game.

Start your game with the Oblivion.exe or with steam

I know not to use the launcher, my newest issue is that running Oblivion.exe results in that damned launcher running instead.

The yellow link in your signature does have a ton of useful info, but it doesn't fix this problem :(

19 minutes ago, Pixie-K said:

I know not to use the launcher, my newest issue is that running Oblivion.exe results in that damned launcher running instead.

I've had that issue before, but I can't remember how I fixed it. Make sure Steam is running before you use MO2, and maybe try running Oblivion through Steam first, without MO2?

As for the OBSE/Steam shenanigans, the latest version of MO2 includes some extra functionality to force-load DLL files alongside EXEs, and it was made specifically to solve Steam-related issues. May need to check the MO2 GitHub for the beta version that includes that functionality (no idea if the Nexus page has been updated with it already), but once you have the right version you just change some options on the Oblivion exe from the executables list and you should be good to go. The MO2 GitHub wiki should have a more detailed explanation on it, too.

EDIT: info and instructions can be found here: Running Oblivion OBSE with MO2

Great. Now OBSE thinks I am using "an unknown version of Oblivion"

This just keeps getting worse.

Fixed that issue, Still getting the OblivionLauncher in place of the normal .exe when I run the game

Another question, are you sure the game works?

You have read my yellow Link.

So after you have installed Oblivion with Shivering isle and the Patch  have you tested the game? 

If you start it the first time I think then the OblivionLauncher starts and set the "best settings for your game"  you click OK and your game starts. Then you can change the settings in game if you want. And the next starts  you never see the OblivionLauncher  again.

Have you done that ? Have you tested your game without  OBSE, any Mods, Modmanager, MO , ... ?

First the game must work before you install anything else.

----------------

Or have you installed all at once, all Mods and tools you want and then started the game ? 

1 hour ago, Pixie-K said:

Fixed that issue, Still getting the OblivionLauncher in place of the normal .exe when I run the game

Ugh, I swear I fixed that somehow when I had this issue. If only I could remember...

If you try to run Oblivion.exe directly (no MO2 or anything, just double-click), does it happen too? What if you run it as an admin (from the right-click menu)?

Otherwise, did you remember to delete the "obse_steam_loader.dll" or whatever that file is called? It's a DLL that comes with OBSE that's supposed to use Steam to inject it into the game for the Steam version, but you don't need it if you use the MO2 workaround and it *may* be causing the issue with the launcher.

EDIT: what fejeena says is relevant too, make sure to run the 100% vanilla game from the launcher once and let it get to the main menu first before installing anything.

And another tip, after you messed around with the game for some time now a bug can be in the ini. ( so no fixes you do will solve your problems )

You should delete it and let the game create a new ini.   !Not the default ini !  The ini in the my games folder !

3 minutes ago, Pixie-K said:

Oh great. Too late for that. No I did not run the game unmodded after I reinstalled...

Why install more if you do not know if the game works ? :classic_wink:

And now you do not know where the bug is. 

The same so many people do with Mods, they install several Mods at once and then they have a problem. . . and do not know which Mods causes the bug or changed something in game they do not like,...

WHY ?

9 minutes ago, Pixie-K said:

Fuck it. I'm just going to start from scratch.

Remember that if you have already installed any mods in MO2, you don't need to delete them, they are kept in the MO2 install folder so they don't affect the game itself (i.e. you can uninstall Oblivion and clean the game folder to get a clear install without touching the MO2 install itself whatsoever).

18 hours ago, fejeena said:

Have you never clicked my yellow Link below ?

BTW, fejeena, while your guide there is great to get the game set up and working, you should really update the "OBSE and Steam" section with the info I linked above about MO2. That new method is way easier than running it all through the Steam interface and it worked just fine the last time I tried it.

2 minutes ago, Pixie-K said:

Ok... so even a fresh install wants to always run the launcher...

Let's get creative, then. What happens if you delete the launcher and try to run Oblivion.exe? And if you duplicate Oblivion.exe and replace the launcher with the renamed duplicate? Have you tried the "run as admin" thing I suggested above?

Okay, some quick googling would point to the "launcher loop" being fixed by setting Oblivion.exe to run in Compatibility mode for Win XP Service Pack 3 and to always run as admin. Try setting up those options, see if they help.

Archived