Best gpu for modding

Dragoncoc696969

6 minutes ago, Dragoncoc696969 said:

Is gtx 1060 3GB enough for heavily modded skyrim?

Depends on a lot of factors but if you are using a 1080p monitor with no 4k textures it should be fine. If you run on 1440p or higher then you will need more vram. I run my game on a 1440p monitor with lots of texture mods and often see my gpu memory usage at 5gb or more. I recently upgraded from 2x 670 gtx 2gb in sli to a 1070 gtx 8gb and the diference was night and day.

I'd recommend monitoring your gpu usage and if the memory is capped out then it might be worth thinking about a 1070 or better. Also bear in mind that skyrim performance is tied to your cpu/ram as well so if you feel you need an upgrade then work out which component is bottlenecking things and take it from there.

Saving up for a Pc myself and would also like to know the cpu and gpu to aim for. I chose parts on NZXT website and the rig about 2100.

These are some of the specs I chose, however the skyim I end up building is heavily scripted or 2 to 4k textures with around 500 mods. Are these specs enough or will I shit framerate.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 - MSI VENTUS 8G

MSRP
 AMD Ryzen 7 2700 8-Core 3.2GHz

ASRock X470 Taichi

G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB 2666MHz (2)

48 minutes ago, Dragoncoc696969 said:

Is gtx 1060 3GB enough for heavily modded skyrim?

Short answer: NO!!!

Longer answer:

Please dont even think about getting the downgraded 3GB version of the 1060. This thing is an abomination when it comes to gaming. Great performance for 1080p BUT insufficient VRAM (3GB) that bottlenecks so hard it's not fun to play. You will experience microstuttering with this card because it will constantly run out of VRAM and thus needs to flush and reload textures again and again and again and again. DONT BUY IT!

I've got a 1060 6GB and an older i5-7600 and my Skyrim is 600+ mods strong, good ENB without boost and with 2K/4K base textures and 8K models (such as character bodies) and it runs on a range from fine to excellent (mostly excellent) on 1440p.

Also: You don't need an i7 or Ryzen 7 for gaming, especially not for older games like Skyrim which dont give shit about many cores or Hyper-Threading and if you want a recommendation for CPU as well, i would totally go for a Ryzen 5 2600X or 3600X right now because they are a far better choice than Intel atm. (single core performance is great, multi core performance is outstanding and kicks Intels ass and pricing is something Intel can't even compare with).

TLDR:

DO NOT BUY the 3GB 1060, go for 1060 with 6GB or the 1660.

If you need a CPU as well: Ryzen 5 2600X or 3600X. Ryzen 7 or I7 are overkill for gaming - don't waste your money with a CPU that's not gonna help you at all when it comes to gaming. Put that into a bigger GPU.

Final thought: I seriously can't understand why people still recommend i7 or Ryzen 7 for gaming. That's just stupid - put that money into a better GPU or literally anything else. *huge sigh*

i3 / Ryzen 3 - Office and Low-Budget-Gaming

i5 / Ryzen 5 - Mainstream and High-End-Gaming with 1 GPU and 1440p (maybe even 4K)

i7 / Ryzen 7 - Enthusiast Gaming with multiple GPUs, liquid-cooled-PCs, 4K resolutions and professionals (video rendering, streaming, etc)

i9 - For people who dont know what price/performance means

13 minutes ago, Yinkle said:

Depends on a lot of factors but if you are using a 1080p monitor with no 4k textures it should be fine. If you run on 1440p or higher then you will need more vram. I run my game on a 1440p monitor with lots of texture mods and often see my gpu memory usage at 5gb or more. I recently upgraded from 2x 670 gtx 2gb in sli to a 1070 gtx 8gb and the diference was night and day.

I'd recommend monitoring your gpu usage and if the memory is capped out then it might be worth thinking about a 1070 or better. Also bear in mind that skyrim performance is tied to your cpu/ram as well so if you feel you need an upgrade then work out which component is bottlenecking things and take it from there.

ill use it on 1080p monitor. Have 8 gb of ram. i5 4th gen. Currently i can only afford a rx470 or gtx 1060 3gb. i usually use 100-120 mods on gt710 but could never use an enb. Will 3gb vram be enough?

7 minutes ago, Dragoncoc696969 said:

ill use it on 1080p monitor. Have 8 gb of ram. i5 4th gen. Currently i can only afford a rx470 or gtx 1060 3gb. i usually use 100-120 mods on gt710 but could never use an enb. Will 3gb vram be enough?

Your cpu is fine but as Xenon says, don't get the 3gb version, it's well worth paying a little more for the 6gb one. I got my 1070 used for a very reasonable price locally.

30 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

If you need a CPU as well: Ryzen 5 2600X or 3600X. Ryzen 7 or I7 are overkill for gaming - don't waste your money with a CPU that's not gonna help you at all when it comes to gaming. Put that into a bigger GPU.

Final thought: I seriously can't understand why people still recommend i7 or Ryzen 7 for gaming. Thats just stupid if you can put that money into a better GPU or literally anything else. *huge sigh*

- retracted questions-

Xenon MVP

The update to your post answered plenty, thank you and Dragoncoc You definitely have enough info in this thread to help you with smart purchase. Bets wishes on the rig. And much love to the MVPs in this thread. Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Dragoncoc696969 said:

Just tell us how much you can spend + your country/state and we'll find you a reseller where you can get a card that has more than 3GB and enough horsepower...

27 minutes ago, Yueviathan said:

- retracted questions-

Xenon MVP

The update to your post answered plenty, thank you and Dragoncoc You definitely have enough info in this thread to help you with smart purchase. Bets wishes on the rig. And much love to the MVPs in this thread. Thank you.

Over 2000 bucks and no ASUS ROG STRIX GPU and no Intel I9???

If you really want to spend this much and be 100% future-safe, then you might wanna check this out:

https://www.wepc.com/builds/best-gaming-pc-under-2000/

Includes the best NZXT tower!!!

;)

I have a gtx 1060 6GB and it is damn good for modding at 1080p, I can play the game totally fine while using ENB, a 2k texture pack mixed with some 4k textures and DynDOLOD with ultra trees (I'm playing skyrim LE btw). you really shouldn't get the 3GB version as people stated above for the simple fact that you will probably run out of vram if you install textures mods and enb like i did. If you have the money for the 6gb version, get it or take a look at the rx 580 8gb, it performs similarly to a 1060 but it has more vram. I never used amd cards so I don't know if they are worth it. Now it's up to you 

8 minutes ago, XenonS3 said:

Over 2000 bucks and no ASUS ROG STRIX GPU and no Intel I9???

If you really want to spend this much and be 100% future-safe, then you might wanna check this out:

https://www.wepc.com/builds/best-gaming-pc-under-2000/

Includes the best NZXT tower!!!

;)

YO!!! You just saved gave me 3 months worth of money. No joke been saving for a PC for months. Planned to get the rig in December but with this I got this next check. YO MVP. This thread needs to be linked for anyone wanting to plan a rig with skyrim in mind. Saving people money legit. Good people ❤️  

4 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

<- is still using a 1GB GTS 250 and a Athlon64X2 6000+

im still using HD5450 XD

5 hours ago, XenonS3 said:

Just tell us how much you can spend + your country/state and we'll find you a reseller where you can get a card that has more than 3GB and enough horsepower...

I live in Bangladesh. Here 3gb addition (used) will cost me 90$ and 6 gb (used) version will cost me minimum of 160$ . Our country's average annual income is not that much. Right now i can't afford that much cash. Ill probably buy the 3gb version right now & when i can save some cash ill sell that & buy the 6gb addition :')

Archived