Arachnophobia by Miss Leeches (OBSOLETE!)

I used version 1.1.7 and it works right away, knockdown after spit just no sounds as expected and webbing looks perfect, but it freezes the camera, even with TFC command.

I removed everything and tried 1.3, the spit fires off but no knockdown and my character stands still, sounds work fine, webbing looks half missing, but giving the character is standing I suspect the webbing is underground.

my guess is there is a conflict with ZaZ pack being installed preventing 1.3 from working.

Both versions were tested on new characters so chance for ghost scripts were at a minimum.

I downloaded the 1.3 version, but i noticed that it seems to add a dialog option to everyone that just says "..."  When you click on it, they just seem to moan forever... is this supposed to be there?  

I got that showing up frequently as well, which is why I had to stop using this mod.  I noticed it in particular in relation to custom quests using the Devious Devices series of mods, like Angrim's Apprentice and the Forbidden Tome (integration mod), where none of the dialogue options for those quests would show, only the "..." and the moaning.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

is there any way to make this mod use the WebHungStraightStruggle animation instead of the LieFaceUpStruggle  animation used in the mod right now?

i want to be able to see my character struggle to get out instead of lying on the ground out of sight

yes you can do that, you have to go into the Creation Kit and change it though, by default the animation is set to ZaZAPC225 I believe, so you need the number for the animation you want. you can find that on the original ZazAnimPack thread, they have lists showing which number goes to which animation. alternatively you can just find the cocoon type you want, add it to your inventory, and wear it, then type in player.playidle ZazAPC(insert anim number here without parenthesis) all with the console, and your character will play the struggling animations, while wearing the cocoon.

UrbanSniper, yes.

This dialogue was my first experiment with sounds.

Current version use other mechanizm.

I am worked on new script for a long time. But failed. And forgot about bugs.

Wait, so it IS fixed?

Version 1.3 contains unused quest whith dialogue "..."

In version 1.5 i am remove this quest and some other unused things.

You can compare esp of this versions.

Script do not chenged.

In trying my hand at this modding business, specifically that of scripting, I decided to use this mod and attempt to expand upon it using the additional unused "arachnophobia" assets in the ZaZ Animation pack.

What it does is add a little more interaction for the entangled player instead of waiting to either die or break free.

When the player is entangled, the DC (D&D player, sorry) to escape follows pretty much the same rules as Miss Leeches' (Spider's level + DifficultySetting) with the added effect of how entangled the victim is. As such, I've added "stages of helplessness" that makes the webbing increasingly difficult to break as the entanglement progresses.

To break out, about every ten seconds, the victim is presented with a dialog of what is currently three choices that follow Devious Devices' escape methods somewhat:

1. Cast Magic (Factors in magic skills to escape roll)

2. Use Brute Strength (Factors in offensive warrior skills to escape roll)

3. Wait (Doesn't try to escape, but instead grants a stacking bonus to future escape rolls)

If the escape attempt is successful, the player escapes and is granted a short immunity to being entangled again (but the spider can still decide to pounce instead! Died a few times to that).

If the escape attempt fails (or the player waits), the player instead becomes more entangled and more webbing is visually applied to indicate how hopeless the situation is becoming. The DC to escape also increases, but caps out at "full" entanglement. The bonus granted from waiting is superior to that of the entanglement modifier.

That's it in a nutshell right now.

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder or upload something that might seem like stolen work (and I especially don't want to discredit Kepper who has also made a spinoff of this as well) , so I would first like to post this here, get people's thoughts, and then go from there. I've never done this before so I'm treading carefully.

In trying my hand at this modding business, specifically that of scripting, I decided to use this mod and attempt to expand upon it using the additional unused "arachnophobia" assets in the ZaZ Animation pack.

What it does is add a little more interaction for the entangled player instead of waiting to either die or break free.

When the player is entangled, the DC (D&D player, sorry) to escape follows pretty much the same rules as Miss Leeches' (Spider's level + DifficultySetting) with the added effect of how entangled the victim is. As such, I've added "stages of helplessness" that makes the webbing increasingly difficult to break as the entanglement progresses.

To break out, about every ten seconds, the victim is presented with a dialog of what is currently three choices that follow Devious Devices' escape methods somewhat:

3. Wait (Doesn't try to escape, but instead grants a stacking bonus to future escape rolls)

If the escape attempt is successful, the player escapes and is granted a short immunity to being entangled again (but the spider can still decide to pounce instead! Died a few times to that).

If the escape attempt fails (or the player waits), the player instead becomes more entangled and more webbing is visually applied to indicate how hopeless the situation is becoming. The DC to escape also increases, but caps out at "full" entanglement. The bonus granted from waiting is superior to that of the entanglement modifier.

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder or upload something that might seem like stolen work (and I especially don't want to discredit Kepper who has also made a spinoff of this as well) , so I would first like to post this here, get people's thoughts, and then go from there. I've never done this before so I'm treading carefully.

From the original post:

I probably won't update it lots unless to fix bugs or things like that but if anyone would like to expand on this idea and make something bigger out of it it would be amazing!

That would pretty much be permission to take this mod and run with it if you feel up to the challenge.

Is there a download somewhere?

Gave the original a try and thought it was pretty good but can be buggy... Gave Kepper's version a try and thought it was pretty good (been using it since release). Now I wanna give yours a try. 

I don't have something that I'm comfortable with releasing, considering I'm still experimenting with exactly how things should be run. What I posted above IS working, but everything looks a bit awkward, mainly because it's more a test to see if I could get it working in the first place.

Now it's a matter of getting things to look right/be somewhat more believable.

To elaborate (for those interested), I'm using the spool animation (where the victim spins around slowly to simulate being webbed up) for when the victim is first hit by the spit. In the original version(s), the spit was responsible for entangling the victim. However this is supposed to be a gradual entanglement where more web is applied the longer the victim is inside the cocoon. Seems a bit off for a spider to be able to wrap up a victim from 50 feet away by just looking at it. So I'll probably instead try and make the entanglement trigger off of the spider's melee attacks, that way when it drops combat with the victim, it's at least standing over the victim.

Which brings me to the next issue, if there are other combatants, the spider's going to take off after them, meanwhile the victim is still somehow getting more entangled. My first solution is to somehow track the distance between the victim and the spider. If the spider is close enough, entanglement continues. If not, the victim gets some free tries without risk of further entanglement. This is where my scripting knowledge begins to run thin. I have to do some more research on how to do that as well as tell the spider to return to the victim should it defeat whatever else it's fighting, otherwise it just sits over its last slain enemy.

The final issue is with NPCs. Right now they're immune to entanglement entirely (intentionally, yet temporarily), but I'll probably have them just follow the old rules of waiting to break free so that's not high on my list of priorities.

I'll certainly have made more progress tomorrow as I really want to get this into a more presentable form for others to try out, and I've got nothing to do tomorrow so I'll be working around the clock on this mod. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might resolve the issues I mentioned above, I'm more than willing to hear them.

TL;DR: No download, yet - wanted to see if there was still interest in this mod (and its derivations) - still have some issues, but I'm going to be active about this so it's definitely coming.

I don't have something that I'm comfortable with releasing, considering I'm still experimenting with exactly how things should be run. What I posted above IS working, but everything looks a bit awkward, mainly because it's more a test to see if I could get it working in the first place.

Now it's a matter of getting things to look right/be somewhat more believable.

To elaborate (for those interested), I'm using the spool animation (where the victim spins around slowly to simulate being webbed up) for when the victim is first hit by the spit. In the original version(s), the spit was responsible for entangling the victim. However this is supposed to be a gradual entanglement where more web is applied the longer the victim is inside the cocoon. Seems a bit off for a spider to be able to wrap up a victim from 50 feet away by just looking at it. So I'll probably instead try and make the entanglement trigger off of the spider's melee attacks, that way when it drops combat with the victim, it's at least standing over the victim.

Which brings me to the next issue, if there are other combatants, the spider's going to take off after them, meanwhile the victim is still somehow getting more entangled. My first solution is to somehow track the distance between the victim and the spider. If the spider is close enough, entanglement continues. If not, the victim gets some free tries without risk of further entanglement. This is where my scripting knowledge begins to run thin. I have to do some more research on how to do that as well as tell the spider to return to the victim should it defeat whatever else it's fighting, otherwise it just sits over its last slain enemy.

The final issue is with NPCs. Right now they're immune to entanglement entirely (intentionally, yet temporarily), but I'll probably have them just follow the old rules of waiting to break free so that's not high on my list of priorities.

I'll certainly have made more progress tomorrow as I really want to get this into a more presentable form for others to try out, and I've got nothing to do tomorrow so I'll be working around the clock on this mod. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I might resolve the issues I mentioned above, I'm more than willing to hear them.

TL;DR: No download, yet - wanted to see if there was still interest in this mod (and its derivations) - still have some issues, but I'm going to be active about this so it's definitely coming.

sounds fantastic! glad to see someone turning this into something more. the spooling animation is a great choice too. so what happens when you get fully wrapped I wonder?

Yah it sounds amazing Kazyn! You don't need to worry about permissions and stuffs, this mod was supposed to be a proof of concept and inspiration for moddders ^^ I haaaaaaaate spiders so I put as little time and staring down ugly mandibles into it as I could! But if it managed to give ideas for something better like what you described it served its purpose! n_n

In real life a spider will inject a venomous poison into a victim to paralyze them and make the cocooning easier (the venom also starts to digest the victim but you don't have to go that far). You could cast a short paralysis spell on the victim while the spider deals with the other combatants giving the spider time to deal with them and also allow the victim a chance to escape if the spider fails to return soon enough.

sounds fantastic! glad to see someone turning this into something more. the spooling animation is a great choice too. so what happens when you get fully wrapped I wonder?

There are three (more like three and a half) different "cocoon armors" that come with the Zaz pack. Each armor has more web applied than the other. Eventually, if you're trapped long enough, the spider won't be adding anymore web and thus the difficulty to escape will essentially cap out. However, rest assured, escaping at this point is VERY difficult.

To answer your question, if you manage to get fully wrapped, it almost means certain death. Difficulty settings are intended to make it in at some point though (when I figure out how MCM works).

This is a learning experience for me so thank you for your patience. : )

Yah it sounds amazing Kazyn! You don't need to worry about permissions and stuffs, this mod was supposed to be a proof of concept and inspiration for moddders ^^ I haaaaaaaate spiders so I put as little time and staring down ugly mandibles into it as I could! But if it managed to give ideas for something better like what you described it served its purpose! n_n

Thank you : ) I can feel a little better about this now. XD