Arachnophobia by Miss Leeches (OBSOLETE!)

I don't think my Devious Captures script would be very useful to you if you want to teleport player to a specific place. What it does is find the closest generic exit, map or cell edge marker and move player there soooo it's all automated and I don't have any specific control over player's destination ^^

But anyways if you're looking for a specific spot in a specific place you may need to place your own marker (I think it's called like "XMarkerHeading" on the list of statics) instead of using the existing markers. Then you link an ObjectReference property in your script to it in the chosen location and then use MoveTo.

You can read more about XMarkers hereish.

Haven't released the one with the death ending, yet, as I'm working on the NPC effects now. Seems pretty straightforward and when that's done I guess I can upload what I have.

Don't worry about linking caves and such for me. As much as I appreciate the offer, I need to work with just one cave for now which is going to be Crovangr Broodlair. It's the most recent one I've visited in my last legitimate playthrough that's full of the crawlies. I've actually been looking at Ms Leeches Devious Captures scripts to see how they did the blackout and transport thing. I got the blackout to work for the death portion, and that can easily be ported over to the capture component.

I also saw how to summon the followers, so that'll be put in the back of my mind until I get the player moving.

The process I'm going to follow for the caves is as follows:

1. Implement fadeout/in and transport to the cave.

2. Implement some sort of escape challenge.

3. THEN I'll look into implementing followers being captured alongside the player. Shouldn't be TERRIBLY difficult but we'll see.

I can't make any promises about the co-op escape because, well... neither of them can move, and neither of them can really talk or see outside of the cocoon. Hell the player shouldn't even really be able to escape but then that just wouldn't be any fun now would it? I dunno, that's much further down the line.

Man I wish I had a tutor for this.

ah ok, sounds good. effects? good to hear, glad it seems to be going well atm.

no problem, sounds like you picked one of the best spots for that anyway lol, iirc it's pretty big, and already webbed up/full of spiders. been a while since I went there anyway. oh great! that's good you learned how to fit that in then, sounds like you're set up for some great progress now then.

aha, yeah that makes sense, first things first. good order there, do you need suggestions on the escape challenge? or do you already have them in mind?

lol, well it depends on which cocoon it is, the full one, that covers them 100% would restrict most movement yeah, though they'd be able to wiggle and whatnot. but yeah it would be hard to get out of that one for sure, the others not as much as that, but still snug. going to add more sounds to them btw? not saying you have to, but muffled (AKA gagged) female noises would likely make the most sense on that area if so.

sounds like you're doing great as is though! I wish you luck with the rest of it

I don't think my Devious Captures script would be very useful to you if you want to teleport player to a specific place. What it does is find the closest generic exit, map or cell edge marker and move player there soooo it's all automated and I don't have any specific control over player's destination ^^

But anyways if you're looking for a specific spot in a specific place you may need to place your own marker (I think it's called like "XMarkerHeading" on the list of statics) instead of using the existing markers. Then you link an ObjectReference property in your script to it in the chosen location and then use MoveTo.

Ah, thanks for the input! Yeah, I know you're letting the game decide where to take the player and I did go through that tutorial once (gonna have to brush up on it again) but what I'm curious to learn from yours is how it knows where to put the player. Like how does it know to eject the player to the outside of the cell they were in if they were indoors in the first place? How does it know where to put the player if they're captured outdoors? It's not high on my priorities though because I need to get it working with one location first.

Once it is working, I would want it to get what hold the player was in at the time of capture and have it MoveTo the corresponding marker.

Will holding and swinging torches work as a counter?

While I don't have that implemented, I could certainly look into it later, maybe torches granting immunity or something, I don't know. It's one of those gimmicks I'll have to look into once the bigger core-ish portions are working correctly. Details are going to have to come after the finished product (if it can ever be called that).

aha, yeah that makes sense, first things first. good order there, do you need suggestions on the escape challenge? or do you already have them in mind?

lol, well it depends on which cocoon it is, the full one, that covers them 100% would restrict most movement yeah, though they'd be able to wiggle and whatnot. but yeah it would be hard to get out of that one for sure, the others not as much as that, but still snug. going to add more sounds to them btw? not saying you have to, but muffled (AKA gagged) female noises would likely make the most sense on that area if so.

It would be the full one, because that's what the victim(s) were captured in. Anyway, though as for escape challenge, I'm trying to kick around ideas based on what I know how to do/what I think is possible to do with the CK/Scripts. When the victim finds itself wrapped up hanging somewhere... yeah, I've not the slightest idea as to how it's supposed to escape at that point. Wiggle around until it drops I guess, with some sort of check to see if the spider's aware. If it sees you wiggling, it's going to give you another dose of toxic goodness, or something. That's all I got. Haven't really gotten that far. lol

As for sounds, there actually aren't ANY sounds and I intentionally left those out for a couple of reasons:

1. I have none.

2. A good amount of people (including myself) use voice packs that alter the voice of the character.

Any mods I use that have player sounds in them, unless they sound generic enough, I usually disable the sound so as to make it seem like my character's not running around with five different voice boxes. That's just my opinion, though, maybe some people are okay with having their character being "voiced" by multiple people.

ah ok, I was just referencing how the different cocoon levels would vary in strength there. and yeah, that makes sense, especially the awareness check, and what would the poisoning do? drain stamina etc? sounds like a good tactic though, but here are some other suggestions for escape tactics:

1) swing around

2) try to grab nearby stalagtite (rock spike) and attempt to cut webbing

3) reach for nearby object

4) tug at anchor web (the thing holding you to the ceiling/wall)

5) try to call for help (though it's muffled)

6) try to spin, twisting the anchor webbing

just some suggestions. I avoided "use magic" here, because of how most fantasy settings operate; casting requires the ability to speak somehow, there's a bit of a reference to that in Skyrim itself with Ulfric being gagged because he used that shout power. so it works well I think. I'm fine with "use magic" in the earlier stages of webbing because it's not as strong, and you're not fully wrapped yet, but also it could be like a very weak "not really casted" version of a normal spell, just what I'm thinking there.

ah, that makes a bit of sense too, and no big deal if you don't add sounds, was just curious if you intended to

Here is where things started to get difficult to work with. I had thought about a good amount of these, and I'll go through each for you:

Let me first start by saying, that while Skyrim has a physics engine, I don't know if it'd be possible to anchor something and then let the physics dangle from it. I know for sure that's way over my head. The best I'd be able to do would be something like messages but those get kinda boring in today's gaming, don't they?

So swinging around/moving around is pretty much out.

Reach for a nearby object? Noooooot likely, considering the victim's arms are trapped anyway, which might also rule out tugging.

Calling for help is... possible though I've no idea what good that would do other than get the spider's attention... (might be one of those "select this option and watch what happens, I dare ya" lol).

The best I could come up with that's within my ability I think is going to be something like trying to bounce around to get the cocoon loose, or wiggle it loose, or maybe implement a combination of both being required to get free. It's about all I can work with given the limited amount of animations available and my ineptitude at working with the physics if it were even possible.

Magic... wouldn't quite have a place but if things are being checked against player skills then more things need to be included to tailor to specific types of players. In the spider lair case, though, I don't think I'd check anything against player skills.

I'm leaning more toward how Devious Devices did it, specifically with that of the armbinder. Struggle enough and eventually you'll get free. However, there'll be more than one choice of how you struggle and the combination of choices you make during your struggle will also determine if you get free.

Example: <Insert message describing situation here> Choices: Wiggle, Bounce, Struggle, Wait.

Then depending on what you did would display another message showing the result of your attempt which gives hints as to what you should choose next. It'll be randomized too so you which'll prevent memorizing combinations.

The catch is, is the spider looking when you attempt to struggle? That way you're not just spamming a message box until you break free.

It's not the perfect system, I know, and I personally am fine with that because the original intent of this mod was to simply see if I could do it. I chose this mod in particular because it was short, fun, had only one script with like... 50 lines of code, with few edits in the CK, and had some great expansion potential.

Ah, thanks for the input! Yeah, I know you're letting the game decide where to take the player and I did go through that tutorial once (gonna have to brush up on it again) but what I'm curious to learn from yours is how it knows where to put the player. Like how does it know to eject the player to the outside of the cell they were in if they were indoors in the first place? How does it know where to put the player if they're captured outdoors? It's not high on my priorities though because I need to get it working with one location first.

Once it is working, I would want it to get what hold the player was in at the time of capture and have it MoveTo the corresponding marker.

Oooh... I think it was way easier to do than explain ^^ I saw this method in Death Alternative mod on nexus that someone recommended when I was wondering how to do that. It works this way:

There's a special quest that contains a script and ReferenceAliases for different markers placed in locations. Like I said it's all about the markers: you just have to find the right one. Forexamplish interior cells have an outside marker that links it to the dungeon entrance. I don't know how it works but it does, I guess it's hardcoded in the game. Anyways it happens in 3 steps:

• the script that's about to start the "teleport quest" supplies the teleport quest's location alias with player's current location.
  • the script starts the "teleport quest" and from there everything is done by aliases that are linked with each other in special ways. There are 3 marker aliases that automatically fill based on the supplied location when the quest starts. These are: cell edge marker, map marker and outside marker (I think in this order, the order is important).
  • the last alias to be filled is also set to fill another alias. That final alias is the marker player is then moved to. And once it's done the quest stops itself so the aliases can be emptied and filled again the next time it runs.
I think it just sounds more complicated than it is ^^ Most of it is simply the way all those aliases are linked to each other and the order in which everything happens, there's very little scripting involved. Trying to figure it out taught me lots about aliases and how useful they are n_n

Here is where things started to get difficult to work with. I had thought about a good amount of these, and I'll go through each for you:

Let me first start by saying, that while Skyrim has a physics engine, I don't know if it'd be possible to anchor something and then let the physics dangle from it. I know for sure that's way over my head. The best I'd be able to do would be something like messages but those get kinda boring in today's gaming, don't they?

So swinging around/moving around is pretty much out.

Reach for a nearby object? Noooooot likely, considering the victim's arms are trapped anyway, which might also rule out tugging.

Calling for help is... possible though I've no idea what good that would do other than get the spider's attention... (might be one of those "select this option and watch what happens, I dare ya" lol).

The best I could come up with that's within my ability I think is going to be something like trying to bounce around to get the cocoon loose, or wiggle it loose, or maybe implement a combination of both being required to get free. It's about all I can work with given the limited amount of animations available and my ineptitude at working with the physics if it were even possible.

Magic... wouldn't quite have a place but if things are being checked against player skills then more things need to be included to tailor to specific types of players. In the spider lair case, though, I don't think I'd check anything against player skills.

I'm leaning more toward how Devious Devices did it, specifically with that of the armbinder. Struggle enough and eventually you'll get free. However, there'll be more than one choice of how you struggle and the combination of choices you make during your struggle will also determine if you get free.

Example: <Insert message describing situation here> Choices: Wiggle, Bounce, Struggle, Wait.

Then depending on what you did would display another message showing the result of your attempt which gives hints as to what you should choose next. It'll be randomized too so you which'll prevent memorizing combinations.

The catch is, is the spider looking when you attempt to struggle? That way you're not just spamming a message box until you break free.

It's not the perfect system, I know, and I personally am fine with that because the original intent of this mod was to simply see if I could do it. I chose this mod in particular because it was short, fun, had only one script with like... 50 lines of code, with few edits in the CK, and had some great expansion potential.

ah hmm, I just assumed that the player and follower (if implemented) would be hung in the spider lair after full capture, I jumped "the gun" there so to speak lol. as for calling for help, was thinking it might imply that you could possibly attract the attentions of an outsider that could save you, and even if it didn't, I think it might be a neat option to put there, if possible, as well as a pretty fitting one, given the scenario.

ah ok, the struggling enough works for me then, and it seems like a good way to go, so you're sticking with the more simple choices there, what about something like "thrash", AKA a hard struggle? just putting more ideas out there, sorry if you're not looking for more ideas on that, just figured you might be, and I figured I might as well share them, in case you are.

aha, so there will be awareness checks for the spider, that adds a little more danger to it, sounds interesting.

I for one am not looking for perfection lol, hell, the version you mentioned before with the fading to black, coming out prior to the lair-teleporting one sounds great to me too, so I'm not demanding at all. the ideas you've said here so far, for building onto the rest of it are good too, so it sounds like it's largely falling in place atm, which is a good thing.

Oooh... I think it was way easier to do than explain ^^ I saw this method in Death Alternative mod on nexus that someone recommended when I was wondering how to do that.

Strangely enough, that was me that recommended you take a look at Death Alternative. XD

Maybe I'm doing this wrong, then.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this:

Once the capture conditions are fulfilled, screen fades out, etc. etc. Understand I have one and only one script so far (the less, the better) and that's the script that applies the web and effects, offers the escape choices, checks the escape rolls, and runs functions based on whether or not escape was successful, all from that OnEffectStart script. It even handles what happens if the victim fails to escape in time which kills them, right now.

So instead of telling the script to kill the player, I will be replacing that line to instead transport the player and begin an "escape quest."

It sounds as though I have to tell the script to start this new quest (that I'll have created) with we'll say "TeleportQuest.SetStage(10)" at which point the papyrus fragment would take over for TeleportQuest and run the script in stage 10's fragment which is responsible for teleporting the player to the reference alias specified, wait a few seconds, fade in, and advance the quest to the next stage that involves actually escaping.

Am I on the right track with this?

EDIT: Hmm, I seem unable to call functions in the Papyrus fragments. (Game.GetPlayer().MoveTo(CaveLocation) Dangit.

Nuh you can do that without aliases or quests ^^ If you just have a specific marker in a specific place all you have to do is make an ObjectReference property linked to it (it will ask you to specify location and then your XMarker's reference ID) and then move player to it. Like I said the method I'm using in DC only gives the game vague directions and it's supposed to *find* eligible markers around the player. If you already *know* exactly what marker you want to use you don't need to make the game search for it ^^

Ohhh and i just read your edit. You can't move actors to a location. You can only move things to other things (and usually that's what XMarkers are for)

Let's see, I got my own XMarkerHeading for where the player should be taken. I added that myself. So in the same sole script, I added and linked it as an ObjectReference property. Then I told the script to move the victim to it. Compiled rather nicely. So thanks for that (no seriously, thanks a lot!). I have yet to test it as I need to go about the escape from the new location now.

I'm thinking I'll have it remove the old webbed effect add a new conditional to the OnEffectEnd that checks whether it ended due to the victim escaping on its own or being moved, and then start a new script for the new effect that handles the new escape process. Doesn't even seem like I need a quest. I'm okay with this. XD

ah hmm, I just assumed that the player and follower (if implemented) would be hung in the spider lair after full capture, I jumped "the gun" there so to speak lol. as for calling for help, was thinking it might imply that you could possibly attract the attentions of an outsider that could save you, and even if it didn't, I think it might be a neat option to put there, if possible, as well as a pretty fitting one, given the scenario.

ah ok, the struggling enough works for me then, and it seems like a good way to go, so you're sticking with the more simple choices there, what about something like "thrash", AKA a hard struggle? just putting more ideas out there, sorry if you're not looking for more ideas on that, just figured you might be, and I figured I might as well share them, in case you are.

aha, so there will be awareness checks for the spider, that adds a little more danger to it, sounds interesting.

I for one am not looking for perfection lol, hell, the version you mentioned before with the fading to black, coming out prior to the lair-teleporting one sounds great to me too, so I'm not demanding at all. the ideas you've said here so far, for building onto the rest of it are good too, so it sounds like it's largely falling in place atm, which is a good thing.

First off, make no mistake, I appreciate the ideas and I want you to know that I'm taking them to heart. : ) When I "shut down" an idea I'm simply explaining why and my logic behind it. It's what brainstorming is all about, right?

With how deep you are in the cave, I don't think an outsider is going to hear you.

The struggling choices I mentioned previously did include a hard struggle, it was just named "Struggle," although "thrash" isn't a bad name either. Might use that instead, lol.

I don't know how I'll do the awareness checks yet. The spider will probably pat around and if it's far enough it won't detect your attempt. (I know, I know, spiders detect even the slightest movements through vibrations in their webs, but have you ever seen a frostbite spider ever walk on its web?) I'd like for its facing to be factored too, but I don't know how to get the game to check for that so that might not make it in.

I do appreciate your input, and the posts in here keep me motivated to actually work on this, because some people actually care and I don't want to keep them waiting. It also serves as a nice break from actually modding, taking a step back, and putting down what I've done, what needs fixing, and what still needs to be done. And I do all that right here in this thread, which is great, because I can get feedback as well.

just curious, but when you do update the mod files, will you be posting them here within the post you linked the first stage of this mod in? or somewhere else? or will you just make a new post for each version?

I... honestly don't know. I think it would make more sense to put this elsewhere on its own thread, credit everyone and everything that I used and go from there. I sure hope I don't break any rules by doing so, what with never really have done it yet. So far, I think I've only borrowed resources from the ZaZ pack and then wrote a script based on the 1.1 version of Ms Leeches script. We'll have to see when release time comes around.

oh yeah, I wasn't worried about being "shut down" was just realizing that you might not actually need ideas lol, so I thought I'd ask if you actually did, so I'd know whether to keep talking about them, or just to shut up period lol.

true I guess, since we are speaking about the Cronvangr Brood Lair, but I wonder about the vampires in the caves even :P I get what you mean though. oh, I thought that "struggle" was a "medium" level, standard option. yeah, thrash will probably get the implication of a harder struggle across better, IMO. hmm, makes sense, what about multiple spiders in there though? and yeah lol, Frosbite spiders are more like the hunting spider type, that run around after their prey, so that much makes sense, not sensing you struggling.

oh yeah! I love this sort of mod, it's great, very much to my interests :P

yeah like Ms. Leeches said, a new thread might be best, if only because things get buried in topics like this, especially since everyone looks towards the first post, because of how the forum is run. I'm guessing you'll post a link here, once you have more though?

I'll post in a new thread when the next release is ready as well as a link to it from this thread.

I've got to do some more research into it, but I'm not sure how to get a spider to spawn corresponding to the player in the script (assign the spider to a variable to be referenced in the script). I also need it to occur each and every time the player gets captured like this. Then I need to figure out how to get the spider to patrol around. Maybe I'll have to link it to hand-placed patrol markers. If I can do that (spawn and assign it to the appropriate object reference variable) then I can check the distance between it and the player, which in turn translates to awareness checks.

I wish I knew what the best approach for this was. Do I need to make it a quest or can I use the OnEffectStart script that I've been doing? I guess we'll see.

ok, good thanks, so I know I won't miss the new thread you make then.

yeah, patrolling a circuit around the cave probably, but what if there are more than one spider in the area? just curious. the rest makes sense to me.

I think it would actually be best as a quest because then you can use an alias (make sure it's set as optional) that has your patrol packages and you can simply spawn a generic spider and assign it to the alias.

Forexamplish like this:

Actor Property spiderForm Auto
ObjectReference Property SpawnMarker Auto
ReferenceAlias Property spiderAlias Auto

;This thingy spawns a generic spider and puts it into the alias or resurrects it if it already exists to avoid cluttering savegame with redundant copies

Function SpawnPatrolSpider()

If spiderAlias == NONE
		ObjectReference spiderRef = SpawnMarker.PlaceAtMe(spiderForm)
		spiderAlias.ForceRefTo(spiderRef)
	Else
		spiderAlias.GetRef().MoveTo(SpawnMarker)
		if spiderAlias.GetRef().IsDead()
			spiderAlias.GetRef().Resurrect()
		endif
	Endif

spiderAlias.GetRef().EvaluatePackage()

EndFunction
I only compiled it in my head so it may not work like this but I hope it conveys the idea ^^

Buuuuut an easier option that doesn't risk savegame bloat would be handplacing a spider in the cave and then assigning it to that alias permanently. And then the script could be like this:

ObjectReference Property SpawnMarker Auto
ReferenceAlias Property spiderAlias Auto

;This thingy spawns or respawns a spider and makes it initiate its crawlyaround routine  

Function SpawnPatrolSpider()

spiderAlias.GetRef().MoveTo(SpawnMarker)

If spiderAlias.GetRef().IsDead()
		spiderAlias.GetRef().Resurrect()
	Endif

spiderAlias.GetRef().EvaluatePackage()

EndFunction
Anyways I think you will have to use an alias at this point so you can add the patrolling AI package to it. Or you could create a unique spider with those packages built in but Bethesda devs usually used aliases for those things and i think that's the better way because it gives you more control over the reference's behaviour and stuffs. And you can then use a levelled actor so the spider may be different each time!

I'm not sure how I could have the script refer to other spiders in the area. I think what I'm going to do instead is make a completely new actor to act as the spider "mother" as it were. The capturing spider takes the victim to this mother (not necessarily broodmother mind you) as a sort of offering, if that makes sense. (Think that cheesy movie Eight-Legged Freaks) The new mother spider becomes the "owner" of the victim and becomes the one to guard its trapped prey. The other spiders aren't going to want to contest it. This also makes it so that I can ensure a spider spawns whenever the player is captured regardless of whether or not the cave was cleared previously.

Maybe I'm going about it the wrong way, though, and if I find a simpler way to do things, I'll be sure to do it. Since I'm quite new to this, I'm fairly certain there's plenty of "Why didn't you just use THIS function" or whatever. It'll have to come with experience.

EDIT 1: Whoa, didn't see Ms Leeches post. Gonna have a looksie ^^

EDIT 2: So I was on the right track in the first place when I was leaning toward a quest. Well the good news is that I had already created a separate actor for such a thing (yay). Let's see what I can do with this, and thanks again! You're a big help!

EDIT 3: I'm doing a whole lotta digging, but where exactly is that script going? What or where do I attach it to? It feels like it should be attached to the alias of the spider actor but I'm not grasping something. The compiler keeps spitting at me saying all those functions do not exist.

oh wow, great idea with the "mother spider" AKA a queen kind of lol, so I'm betting it'll be one of the bigger types of Frostbite spiders? would make the most sense I think. so you'll spawn in the "queen" spider to guard the captive player and follower (if implemented) while they struggle? also, do you intend to clear the rest of the spiders in the Brood Lair out before the player is taken there? or will they still be inside? either way it sounds like a great idea here. good call!

They'll still be there if the player hasn't cleared the cave beforehand, is what I was saying. If the player has cleared the cave beforehand, then there will at least still be a spider responsible for its victim, that the victim doesn't end up hanging up in a cocoon all by its lonesome. That would just not make sense. lol

EDIT 3: I'm doing a whole lotta digging, but where exactly is that script going? What or where do I attach it to? It feels like it should be attached to the alias of the spider actor.

Nuh not the alias. It's not a full script it's just a function that you can call to spawn or respawn that spider ^^

If you aren't familiar with custom functions all you need to do is put it in your quest's main script and then put "SpawnPatrolSpider()" when you want the spider to spawn (I guess after teleporting player to the lair and before ending the blackout)

I kinda learned to divide my scripts into prepared functions and "active" part. I define custom functions first and then simply call them from the "active" part. It's very helpful if you want to do the same thing in different places in your script and also makes scripts easier to read later, they look more orderly ^^

I am familiar with custom functions, I used two of them in the released version actually. Maybe I'm just getting burned out after having worked on this all day. lol But yeah, maybe making the functions FIRST is a better idea, for sure.

The setup I have so far is:

If the victim fails to escape in time, blackout occurs, and the player is moved. This is all done in the OnEffectFinish portion of the actual MagicEffect responsible for handling the initial escape/entanglement. Basically, it checks to see HOW the effect was dispelled, either by the victim escaping or by failing to escape. It even sends the victim to the cave, starts the quest (SetStage(10)) and fades back in afterward.

That's what I have right now, this second.

It sounds what I need to do NEXT is have the Stage 10 script call the function (that you wrote) to "spawn" the spider alias in the cave at the spider spawn marker alias. Then, once it's spawned, it would start following it's package to patrol (already added). I think I'm starting to get it.... I think...

EDIT: Whup, no wait, I'm confusing myself again. I still gotta figure out on what script that function goes. I'ma figure this out, just you wait. XD

EDIT 2: Alright, had to assign my aliases to actor variables, since you can't resurrect, evaluatePackage, or check for IsDead on an alias. I was also struggling with assigning the aliases to an actor because I had to do "spiderAlias.getActorRef()" and NOT "SpiderAlias.getRef."

I just love how much attention-to-detail scripting demands. -.-