Fallout 4 Immediate crash to desktop on save

6 hours ago, Verasmile2 said:

I don't know why, but when I save I get a crash to desktop. The save goes bad and I get a .tmp file instead of the correct save files. 

Weird thing is, the last time it happened I've restarted the game with another character, and didn't had any issue until now.

The latest mod I've downloaded didn't gave any issue either, I've played like 10+ hours with them too along all the "old" mods and all went good.

But today, it crashed on saving. Then I've reloaded the prebious file, which caused another crash. I loaded a previous save again, it loaded it, but as soon as I tried to save... Crashed.

Any idea on how to fix it? I don't want to restart the game again...

image.png

Try disable all mods and check if it fix issue, if yes - enable some part of mods and test, untill you will find what mod broke your game

16 hours ago, Indarello said:

Try disable all mods and check if it fix issue, if yes - enable some part of mods and test, untill you will find what mod broke your game

I guess it won't help... I've updated some of the mods and tried again to test for the saving, but apparently now the game doesn't even start. It crashes itself after few seconds...

Is that becouse I've deleted the old versions of the mods?

And as I'm already half-asking, when I update a mod should I delete the previous, try to merge them, or add it separately?

7 hours ago, Verasmile2 said:

I guess it won't help... I've updated some of the mods and tried again to test for the saving, but apparently now the game doesn't even start. It crashes itself after few seconds...

Is that becouse I've deleted the old versions of the mods?

And as I'm already half-asking, when I update a mod should I delete the previous, try to merge them, or add it separately?

Better delete previous, save, then install new version

But this consider from mod and author should give instractions what is better

10 hours ago, Indarello said:

Better delete previous, save, then install new version

But this consider from mod and author should give instractions what is better

So I should delete the "old" mod, load the game, save, and the install the new one?

And what about mods with similar parts, like the animations?

Not sure I have a fix, but just went through this issue. Played for hours with my present save. Quit the game, reloaded the save the following day. No problem till I ried to save again. Crash, crash, crash time and again trying to save. Did an older save, same again. Mine was in Diamond City. I had to go back 5 previous saves till My crashing stopped. I got lucky to not lose all my progress. Sometimes, FO4 can be a bitch. I do not allow any saves (settings) unless I manually do it. Will stop most problems like this from getting baked into your game. 

9 minutes ago, Verasmile2 said:

But doesn't all the things added by the mods disappear this way? 

About the other question, I meant this

Red symbol says "Overwritten loose file" and the green one says "Overwrytes loose file"

image.png

Yes if you finnished some quest or item from mod, it will dissapear

Animation mods extremely unlikely to break the game you can check them only if all other mods are already checked for problems

46 minutes ago, Indarello said:

Yes if you finnished some quest or item from mod, it will dissapear

Animation mods extremely unlikely to break the game you can check them only if all other mods are already checked for problems

So for the animations I can leave them all together, right?

Anyway I guess I'll have to uninstall the game and reinstall it... I just tried to launch it from Steam as via MO2 it keeps crashing.

But It got stuck on loading, I waited for more than 10 minutes and kept loading...

1 hour ago, Verasmile2 said:

So for the animations I can leave them all together, right?

Anyway I guess I'll have to uninstall the game and reinstall it... I just tried to launch it from Steam as via MO2 it keeps crashing.

But It got stuck on loading, I waited for more than 10 minutes and kept loading...

Yes you can leave them enabled

21 hours ago, Indarello said:

Yes you can leave them enabled

Gotcha, so I'll keep them

But for now, I'll have to uninstall it.. Or there may be other ways? My connnection isn't really fast...

Allright, before uninstalling I tried to remove all the updated mods, and the game loaded correctly.

However, crashed again on saving. So I did 1 step forward and 2 back, as I'm stuck again on the saving isssue...

3 minutes ago, Verasmile2 said:

Gotcha, so I'll keep them

But for now, I'll have to uninstall it.. Or there may be other ways? My connnection isn't really fast...

Allright, before uninstalling I tried to remove all the updated mods, and the game loaded correctly.

However, crashed again on saving. So I did 1 step forward and 2 back, as I'm stuck again on the saving isssue...

We were talking about to remove all mods beside animations, not just updated

Also you can try to fiz save with resaver, but dont forget to backup your saves before using it

On 1/14/2020 at 6:44 PM, Indarello said:

We were talking about to remove all mods beside animations, not just updated

Also you can try to fiz save with resaver, but dont forget to backup your saves before using it

Yeah I know, I've updated some of the mods thinking that it was theyr fault somehow - and didn't worked.

What's this resaver? 

@Indarello I found on Steam that someone with this issue solved it by moving the older files into another folder, saying that after a certain limit (for each profile apparently) the saves will end up corrupted

But I'm not sure if trying it too, as I don't know if moving them may cause some other issues later

I just had this problem today.  I have a 4k monitor (tv) and since Steam is slacking in setting itself up for 4k monitors, I had to input some line in some file, somewhere in Steam.  If I do not start Steam via the desktop icon, such as it starting when I click on the F4se, everything is tiny.  If I use the Steam desktop icon, all the text is the correct size (I'm talking about Steam, not the game).  Now that that is explained, I forgot to start Steam before clicking on the F4se.  I figured, what the heck.  I don't need to read anything in Steam.  That is when I had the crash on save problem.

What I did to fix it was, restarted my computer and loaded Steam properly before entering the game.  I loaded a save from earlier, just in case, and now it works fine.  Something worked.  Perhaps it will screw up any time Steam is loaded through F4se?  Perhaps you simply need to restart you computer. 

I've been up all night, so I hope I've made sense.  And I hope this helps somebody. 

There are a couple posts about this on Steam.  I was going to let them know what I found out but Steam wants me to verify through my e-mail.  Screw that.  So, someone may want to post in the Steam forums.

Well, it worked all day today, until just now.  Restarting my computer had no effect and I had started Steam properly.

Well I tried many ways and none of them seemed to work... I guess I'll have to try to uninstall and reinstall the game.

But before doing it, should I do a copy of all the files? I mean saves (both fos and f4se), ini file, mod load order etc..

Or once downloaded again, I'll have all of them already "updated" with the modified settings?

I know for sure that I'll have to move all the mods into another folder to avoid downloading them again, but as I'm already asking: when reinstalling them, should I reinstall also the previous versions of them? Or directly the newest ones? (Like the Vanilla Fudge, the last working was 1.5 but now it's at 1.53 and I don't know if I should install the 1.5 and the upload it at 1.53)

3 hours ago, Verasmile2 said:

Well I tried many ways and none of them seemed to work... I guess I'll have to try to uninstall and reinstall the game.

But before doing it, should I do a copy of all the files? I mean saves (both fos and f4se), ini file, mod load order etc..

Or once downloaded again, I'll have all of them already "updated" with the modified settings?

I know for sure that I'll have to move all the mods into another folder to avoid downloading them again, but as I'm already asking: when reinstalling them, should I reinstall also the previous versions of them? Or directly the newest ones? (Like the Vanilla Fudge, the last working was 1.5 but now it's at 1.53 and I don't know if I should install the 1.5 and the upload it at 1.53)

Late to this, but when I see Vanilla Fudge, I am pretty sure your issues are all about this mod. There are a number of us who used Vanilla Fudge, either had a crash with it installed or tried to uninstall only to have each save effort crash afterward. It is a game crusher for some reason. It corrupts saves. I had to go back to any number of prior saves, but I was able to keep most of my game intact. You need to go into your game files and delete any mention of Vanilla Fudge to clean things out.. 

4 minutes ago, maddadicusrex said:

Late to this, but when I see Vanilla Fudge, I am pretty sure your issues are all about this mod. There are a number of us who used Vanilla Fudge, either had a crash with it installed or tried to uninstall only to have each save effort crash afterward. It is a game crusher for some reason. It corrupts saves. I had to go back to any number of prior saves, but I was able to keep most of my game intact. You need to go into your game files and delete any mention of Vanilla Fudge to clean things out.. 

I still didn't removed anyuthing... So you say that it's Vanilla Fudge? But lot of people uses it, and as far as I know lot of people who didn't installed it had the same issue

46 minutes ago, Verasmile2 said:

I still didn't removed anyuthing... So you say that it's Vanilla Fudge? But lot of people uses it, and as far as I know lot of people who didn't installed it had the same issue

The only time that I ever had this particular issue was the 3 times I tried Vanilla Fudge (deleted it twice and one time, game crashed with it installed) Reason I am sure it is this mod was because after deleting, I found parts of it still stuck in my game files. Have you tried to LOAD an earlier save?  Try loading the earliest save you have and then try saving over that to test. Bottom line is if your save is corrupted for whatever reason, you are screwed and best to start a new game. If your load order is crap, then even a new game could be problematic. How steady was your gameplay till this issue and what were the last mods you might have installed?

1 minute ago, maddadicusrex said:

The only time that I ever had this particular issue was the 3 times I tried Vanilla Fudge (deleted it twice and one time, game crashed with it installed) Reason I am sure it is this mod was because after deleting, I found parts of it still stuck in my game files. Have you tried to LOAD an earlier save?  Try loading the earliest save you have and then try saving over that to test. Bottom line is if your save is corrupted for whatever reason, you are screwed and best to start a new game. If your load order is crap, then even a new game could be problematic. How steady was your gameplay till this issue and what were the last mods you might have installed?

I've already restarted and I have Fudge from the beginning, so I guess I'd have to restart again??

4 hours ago, Verasmile2 said:

I've already restarted and I have Fudge from the beginning, so I guess I'd have to restart again??

You might only have an issue if you would try to delete it. VF worked GREAT when it was for Four Play, but the AAF version has always been unstable. It was one of the first random sex mods that I tried when I switched over to AAF and it never worked right.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the only thread that helped me so far, so i'll post it her

The double load fix helped me a bit, but now that too doesn't work (it worked the first time, then the second after loading 4 times, now it just doesn't)

I tried switching the saves folder to not-read-only too, but it just switches back right after

i use  A LOT of mods and a good half of them are esl files, good chunk installed mid game, but i would like to not have to get rid of any of them, since they always worked fine for quite some time

i used to abuse the quicksave button, so that's probably what broke saves, but i have to say that this started happening while i was building a brothel with the respective mod

is there a miraculous fix that can get me back on the saddle without hassles or do i have to find a way to save all the work i did on settlements and pop a fresh new save?

EDIT: appearently, if i load one more time each time i boot up a save, it seems to work
i really have no idea why or how

I had this problem yesterday.  It is not vanilla fudge, as I do not have that mod installed nor has it ever been installed for this playthrough.  the double load worked for me so far.   

I am curious, what is the size of the save files when the problem happens.  I am at 16,500.  I have 190 plugins activated.

In skyrim, when the save files got to big they would not load, you had to load a save back near the start of the playthrough and then load the current save. Maybe it is a load problem.