Fallout 4 Immediate crash to desktop on save

I no longer have to double load.  Happened Possibly from, scrapping all Sanctuary workshop Junk items into component parts.  I did this to try and decrease save file size, but it did nothing for that.  I had a lot of junk, using the manufacturing stuff, it took 4 or 5 game days, with no waiting or sleeping to be done.

Then a lot of double loads later I forgot to double load and the save still went thru

here's my solution....i found this out from fallout 3 but should work for fallout 4 at least for me.....

1. load your game

2. blow yourself up (any explosive), basically kill yourself by any means necessary, i don't know if falling or having others kill you would work but the first way is preferred.

3. let the game reset and load your last saved game (which is the one you just loaded)

4. try saving again after it has load the game (quick save, regular save)

so yeah this helped me get through the crash to desktop on save glitch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 7:21 PM, ijakor said:

Sometimes i have this problem too.

in my case , i can fix it by loading the last save game and then imediately reload that save.

after loading the savefile twice i can save again without problems.

You are a saviour! I loaded my latest save, i killed my character with a grenade, ( Thanks bstylez) went back to main menu (i play on survival) loaded again the same save and i can save again!!!!!!

Thanks, thanks, thanks and thanks again!!!!

I literally spent days trying to fix this problem, i unistalled the game, unistalled all the mods, reinstalled everything again and i was having the same problem.

I live in Italy, we are under quarantine, being able to continue playing a game i love saves me a lot of stress.

My game is heavily modded, around 150/200 mods, AAF, Sim Settlements, weapons, texturers...

• 2 months later...
On 6/11/2020 at 7:59 PM, m79guy said:

Found this topic because I was having the same issues. Removed rse brothels and fixed the problem. A few hours play time and issue hasn't returned yet. I saw somewhere on here that rse brothels is broken now. I should have listened! :lol: 

Thanks... I could finally save!

On 3/23/2019 at 1:06 PM, SCZero said:

Ok so it seems like I fixed this issue for me.

After some investigation, I found the Mod which caused the game to crash. It was RSEE Vol.2. After I removed it, I could save again, well until after some time the crash happened again. Once again I tried disabling mods, until saving worked again. This time it was RSEE Vol.4, after disabling the mod, saving worked. Same procedure as last time: I played a bit (~20min) left the game, restart the game and tried to create a savegame and CTD...

Searched again, this time I had to disable RSEE Vol. 7 and now it looks like my game works again. I played for an hour now, left the game mutiple times, reload the latest save and tried to create a new savegame. Right now everything works, I hope it will stay that way.

Personally I don't really mind loosing RSEE Vol.2 and Vol.4, I didn't even used them. Vol.7 on the other hand, was frequently used, so it is a little of a shame I had to remove it.

I will keep an eye on my game and will save more often to have multiple backups from now on. Maybe the problem will come back sooner, than I would like, in this case I will give an update in this thred. It seems like this kind of problem can have many different root causes but hopefully I could help someone by sharing my solution

I didnt wanted to believe it, i played for 6 days using the kill my character and doble reload, but, in the end i disabled rse brothels, and that was it...

• 1 month later...
On 23/3/2019 at 12:21, ijakor said:

A veces tengo este problema también.

en mi caso, puedo solucionarlo cargando el último juego guardado y luego recargarlo inmediatamente.

después de cargar el archivo guardado dos veces, puedo guardar nuevamente sin problemas.

This was the solution for me, I don't know how, but it worked.

• 4 weeks later...

Happen  to me last night  and now again today after I thought I've fixed it, either way I saved the files but since I see that brothels and some mods may be causing issues I'll start a whole new game and see how it goes. I've been trying to find the solution, because after each time the game crashes upon trying to save, it creates a *.*.fos.tmp file which rly doesn't belong in the save folder or anywhere else. even when I delete the damn tmp file after reloading the game and I try to save it crashes.
  At first I thought it had to do with me trying to change Curies appearance through looks menu, but that's not the case, the why I thought it was the reason is because the game started crashing after I made the alterations I wanted to her looks.

Either way, starting a new game and will see how it all fairs.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/19/2019 at 9:42 PM, guest7625 said:

first off - I have a  heavily modded FO4, which in itself is a recipe for disaster

secondly - I have had a heavily modded FO4 for a long time with no issues. I'm definitely not an expert to modding my game, but am in no way a complete incompetent (I can sort my load order, run LOOT, etc.)

Now its time for the details: I recently reloaded and re-modded Fallout; completed a modded game with NMM early last year, recently decided to start over again. Then I find out that NMM no longer exists, so I download Vortex and reinstall the game. I've been playing the game for awhile now (a few weeks), up to 35th level with lots of mods, no issues...

Then just yesterday ( I save a lot)

Load a game

Save 1 no problem

Save 2 no problem

Save 3 no problem

Save 4 no problem

Save 5 - hit save - immediate crash to desktop

Reload save 4, everything's fine.  Hit save, immediate crash to desktop.

Reload save 3, same thing

Reload save 2, game plays normally, make several saves, no issues.

Quit game

Today, reload last good save and have all the same problems - every time I try to save, I get an immediate crash to desktop. Then I load up a different save and can play and save for awhile. Then it crashes when I save and I can't save  again on older saves that seemed to work fine before.

I've run Fallrim tools to see if I have any issues with my saves, but nothing comes up - everything seems clean. I have not loaded any new mods in the last few days. I have updated a few mods that needed updating after the last Fallout update (SKSE, Place Everything, Looksmenu, Rename, probably a few others I can't remember), but this was last week.

I just want to find out if anyone else is experiencing the same issues. I know its entirely possible that I just have a corrupt save and need to start over again; I just want to find out if anyone else has experienced the same thing recently. I've googled the problem, but nothing seems to come up (recent, that is)

I know it's most likely my game set-up, just looking to see if anyone else has experienced something similar.

Thanks -any advice would be appreciated

For me it's always somewhere in the two day mark, my last game at 2 days, 18hrs and 58minutes.  Multiple games, multiple CLEAN installs and multiple mod configurations.  But always with the exact problems you described and always when I am well into the game at about the two day mark.  I have been pulling my hair about this and starting to wonder if this is some sort of troll from Vortex.

I have had this prob on several occasions.I also am a heavy modder. It was bad save data. I had to dump entire save folder. this fix is only a last resort. use this only if crashes on start and you have tried disabling mods. it is a pain to mod hunt but my method is for those like me who are modaphiles  who mods till it brakes. . Did play through and survival mode on XBox 1 but wanted more adult so DL to my MSI. Crashes suck brown steamers but if you love mods you deal.

ps don't mod mid game. This is how you F up your save data. If you are not adding or enabling mods mid game and it crashes at the same time, then you have a mod that brakes the event chain in the game and it will always crash/brake the game.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 2:21 PM, ijakor said:

in my case , i can fix it by loading the last save game and then imediately reload that save.

Thank you so much, this worked for me

On 6/18/2020 at 12:30 AM, Gamaramdi said:

I didnt wanted to believe it, i played for 6 days using the kill my character and doble reload, but, in the end i disabled rse brothels, and that was it...

RSE Brothels causing CTD on save is a well known issue. Sadly @flashy has been silent for quite a while, but while we wait for a fix, Kinkaids AAF prostitution is an excellent alternative.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 2:21 PM, ijakor said:

It actually worked we might have a work around here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 7:26 AM, bstylez said:

here's my solution....i found this out from fallout 3 but should work for fallout 4 at least for me.....

1. load your game

2. blow yourself up (any explosive), basically kill yourself by any means necessary, i don't know if falling or having others kill you would work but the first way is preferred.

3. let the game reset and load your last saved game (which is the one you just loaded)

4. try saving again after it has load the game (quick save, regular save)

so yeah this helped me get through the crash to desktop on save glitch.

What if your stuck at the beginning of the game in the bathroom with no why to kill yourself?

• 2 months later...