Weirdly specific corrupted nif crash

beastinair

Hey all,

I've recently discovered my game has a corrupt nif issue in an oddly specific location. After opening the door to Lund's Hut, crash fixes tells me that corrupt nif files caused the game to crash. I tried using NIF Healer, but it didn't help at all. A Nexus mod for corrupt nif patches also didn't help. And I can't tell what mod(s) they're coming from either, a majority of them have to do with common clothes and immersive armors, but after removing the files causing the issue I began to get some architecture and fx files as well.

This is my crash log so far, along with my load order. Any help would be immensely appreciated! Lund's Hut is the only place that I've encountered this issue, but I'm worried that this might pop up somewhere else.

I would verify the nif file is even a problem by loading ck and opening that armor,object whatever the nif is associated with.

If the nif is in fact problematic or corrupt ck will warn you or just crash.  Without doing that first I think you are waisting time removing those mods because it's highly unlikely you have that many nif files that have issues and can still load the game or ever load into new cells where these objects will be.

• 4 weeks later...

For some reason, I was never sent notifications about replies to this. But I've encountered nif-related crashes twice so far.

The first one happened a few days ago, it was a few seconds after I fast-traveled to Rorikstead for a quest. A majority of the "corrupted nifs" were from Skyrim - Sounds.bsa. And the second one happened a few minutes ago, I was trying to disable and enable a follower so he wouldn't trigger any traps in the ruins we were pillaging. The moment I enabled him, the CF message listed off all the files that were associated with my follower, files I know for certain aren't corrupted.

Based on this pattern, it seems like a sudden influx of sounds/items/objects being loaded into a single cell too fast can stress out the game's engine and cause it to crash. (The quest in Rorikstead involved killing an already-spawned dragon along with at least a dozen hostile NPCs, and literally everything loaded at once as soon as I got there. I was able to avoid crashing the second time I tried this by fast-traveling to a landmark outside of Rorikstead, luring the dragon to the outskirts of the village and killing it there).

So you guys are on the right track. I'm in the process of verifying my game files through Steam, but I haven't been back to Lund's Hut since making this thread. It could be possible that Lund's Hut is exceptionally cluttered with God only knows what, or that there's something that's supposed to be there that isn't. Either way, it's progress to figuring this out.

Spoiler
9 hours ago, beastinair said:

For some reason, I was never sent notifications about replies to this. But I've encountered nif-related crashes twice so far.

The first one happened a few days ago, it was a few seconds after I fast-traveled to Rorikstead for a quest. A majority of the "corrupted nifs" were from Skyrim - Sounds.bsa. And the second one happened a few minutes ago, I was trying to disable and enable a follower so he wouldn't trigger any traps in the ruins we were pillaging. The moment I enabled him, the CF message listed off all the files that were associated with my follower, files I know for certain aren't corrupted.

Based on this pattern, it seems like a sudden influx of sounds/items/objects being loaded into a single cell too fast can stress out the game's engine and cause it to crash. (The quest in Rorikstead involved killing an already-spawned dragon along with at least a dozen hostile NPCs, and literally everything loaded at once as soon as I got there. I was able to avoid crashing the second time I tried this by fast-traveling to a landmark outside of Rorikstead, luring the dragon to the outskirts of the village and killing it there).

So you guys are on the right track. I'm in the process of verifying my game files through Steam, but I haven't been back to Lund's Hut since making this thread. It could be possible that Lund's Hut is exceptionally cluttered with God only knows what, or that there's something that's supposed to be there that isn't. Either way, it's progress to figuring this out.

I have no intention of involving myself in sorting out your main issue, sorry. I do want to point out that the reason you have not received notifications is that you have not marked this thread as one that you follow. Go to the follow button (just above the green Reply to this topic button) and press it. You will then be given options in regard to how you want to be notified about this thread. You can, by the way, choose to follow any thread, including any mod, that you want (the button is in about the same place everywhere. 

You will get a notification from me because I took the time to quote you (note that this is a good practice if you want to speed up communication with someone on these threads.

Finally, you will get a second notification since the other way to see that someone gets a notification is to type in the "@" symbol followed by their name, like this: @beastinair.

4 hours ago, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I have no intention of involving myself in sorting out your main issue, sorry. I do want to point out that the reason you have not received notifications is that you have not marked this thread as one that you follow. Go to the follow button (just above the green Reply to this topic button) and press it. You will then be given options in regard to how you want to be notified about this thread. You can, by the way, choose to follow any thread, including any mod, that you want (the button is in about the same place everywhere. 

You will get a notification from me because I took the time to quote you (note that this is a good practice if you want to speed up communication with someone on these threads.

Finally, you will get a second notification since the other way to see that someone gets a notification is to type in the "@" symbol followed by their name, like this: @beastinair.

Interesting. I'm following several mods on LL but I don't frequent this place nearly as much as I do the Nexus. I must have missed the button when I made this thread. Thanks for the tip though, its much appreciated!

Spoiler
31 minutes ago, beastinair said:

Interesting. I'm following several mods on LL but I don't frequent this place nearly as much as I do the Nexus. I must have missed the button when I made this thread. Thanks for the tip though, its much appreciated!

You are very welcome. As I often say, I'll take my thanks in likes. That's the green thumbs-up button that can be found in the lower right hand corner of any post. It is grayed out until you hover over it and click it. By the way, here on LL, you can also "like" mods (it's kind of our version of endorsing them). The mechanics are the same. Go to the page where you downloaded the mod, find the lower right hand corner of that "post" and "like" it. With most of the mods it's easy to find because they have a lot of likes already.

4 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

No, we are right full stop. 99% of CTDs are caused by lack of memory. (The other 99% are caused by user error). If you are getting CTDs on a regular basis then it would appear your game is incorrectly configured.

I used to get crashes due to unsufficient memory constantly before I had to do an unrelated system wipe. I got a fresh install of everything and have not had any such crashes since. At the time I was still getting the hang of ENBs and how to configure my SKSE patch/enblocal. I like to think now my game is fairly stable, Lund's Hut is the only location where this crash has happened every time, no matter how I try to enter, be it manually or using the coc command.

5 hours ago, beastinair said:

I used to get crashes due to unsufficient memory constantly before I had to do an unrelated system wipe. I got a fresh install of everything and have not had any such crashes since. At the time I was still getting the hang of ENBs and how to configure my SKSE patch/enblocal. I like to think now my game is fairly stable, Lund's Hut is the only location where this crash has happened every time, no matter how I try to enter, be it manually or using the coc command.

If you have CTD always in the same location it is caused by a bad mesh. Disable mods until you locate it.

Of course, make a try in a NEW GAME. Sometimes, the savegame store bad things.

If the CTD persists with ALL modifications disabled in a NEW GAME you may have trash in DATA\mesh but is strange when ussing MO. Revise the game folder and the overwrite folder.

Archived