game loads but all i get is a black screen

trebor666

Recently wiped my computer so I'm doing a clean install of Skyrim. i used to use NMM but I'm now using MO2. when i try and launch my game i hear the sound for the Bethesda logo and then the main menu music kicks in but my screen stays black. the game is not frozen, I can use the arrow keys to manipulate the menu, I just have no visual. When i remove ZAZ animation pack i get visuals back. I've tried installing a memory fix but it still doesn't work. Any guidance would be very appreciated.

Here is my current mod list and ENBlocal.ini settings in case that helps.

Spoiler

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Dawnguard.esm
HearthFires.esm
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Legendary Edition Patch.esp
SexLab.esm
SexLabAroused.esm
Devious Devices - Assets.esm
Devious Devices - Integration.esm
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm
Schlongs of Skyrim - Core.esm
Devious Devices - Expansion.esm
hdtHighHeel.esm
PSQ PlayerSuccubusQuest.esm
ZaZAnimationPack.esm
HighResTexturePack01.esp
HighResTexturePack02.esp
HighResTexturePack03.esp
Skyrim Particle Patch for ENB - Flame Atronach Fix.esp
SMIM-DragonbornTernFix.esp
SMIM-DungeonsCliffsIceSkirts.esp
EpisodeParallax.esp
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp
Shadows - Dawnguard.esp
Shadows - Skyrim.esp
SMIM-FarmhouseFlickeringFix.esp
Shadows - Weather Tweaks.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dawnguard-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Dragonborn-Patch.esp
ClimatesOfTamriel-Interiors-Warm.esp
Vivid Landscapes.esp
RaceMenu.esp
RaceMenuPlugin.esp
Brows.esp
SOSRaceMenu.esp
XPMSE.esp
RaceMenuMorphsUUNP.esp
Remodeled Armor - Underwear.esp
Remodeled Armor - Vanilla Replacer - Dawnguard.esp
Remodeled Armor - Vanilla Replacer - Dragonborn.esp
Remodeled Armor - Vanilla Replacer.esp
Tiwa44_Minidresses.esp
Tiwa44_Minidresses_Dragonborn.esp
Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.esp
SkyUI.esp
Schlongs of Skyrim.esp
SOS - Smurf Average Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Muscular Addon.esp
SOS - VectorPlexus Regular Addon.esp
12FemaleBrows.esp
ELFX - Exteriors.esp
KS Hairdos - HDT.esp
Gwelda Red Riding Hood.esp
Cross Racial Features.esp
KS Hairdo's.esp
FNIS.esp
UIExtensions.esp
AddItemMenuLE.esp
Real Flying.esp
Captured Dreams.esp
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp
hothtrooper44_ArmorPatch.esp
Deviously Cursed Loot.esp
Laura's Bondage Shop.esp
SofiaFollower.esp
DeviousFollowers.esp
SexLab_Dialogues.esp
Morning Fogs.esp
The Seven Wonders of Leyenda.esp
RosaFollower.esp
FastTravelBook.esp
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
Deviously Cursed Loot LAL AddOn.esp
ELFXEnhancer.esp

Spoiler

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
UseDefferedRendering=false
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=128
VideoMemorySizeMb=4662
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=0
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=false
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=false

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=10
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
EnableVSync=true
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=10.0

[INPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num /       106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115
//B
KeyBruteForce=66
KeyDepthOfField=118

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=true
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=true
FixParallaxTerrain=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixTintGamma=true
RemoveBlur=false
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=false

[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

EDIT: changed post to remove links to 3rd party sites and included info in spoiler tags

Spoiler
10 hours ago, trebor666 said:

Recently wiped my computer so I'm doing a clean install of Skyrim. i used to use NMM but I'm now using MO2. when i try and launch my game i hear the sound for the Bethesda logo and then the main menu music kicks in but my screen stays black. the game is not frozen, I can use the arrow keys to manipulate the menu, I just have no visual. When i remove ZAZ animation pack i get visuals back. I've tried installing a memory fix but it still doesn't work. Any guidance would be very appreciated.

Here is my current mod list and ENBlocal.ini settings in case that helps.

https://modwat.ch/u/zombiebub/plugins

https://pastebin.com/B3SDnj1D

First thing that comes to mind would be too many animations (if removing an animation pack seems to solve the problem). If you want to post your output from FNIS I'd be happy to confirm or deny it. Run FNIS. Copy everything that FNIS generates (should start with a description of your skeleton and end with how many animations were successfully loaded) and paste it on this thread.

Off topic: when you ask a question here the people who read it have the expectation that all needed information will be posted here on the site. No offense is intended but it is simple computer security. I don't want to open a file of unknown provenance and even less do I want to go to a third party site to open files (no matter how secure you may feel that they are). If you don't know how to do it or to use spoilers here on LoversLab (LL) simply ask.

12 hours ago, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

First thing that comes to mind would be too many animations (if removing an animation pack seems to solve the problem). If you want to post your output from FNIS I'd be happy to confirm or deny it. Run FNIS. Copy everything that FNIS generates (should start with a description of your skeleton and end with how many animations were successfully loaded) and paste it on this thread.

Off topic: when you ask a question here the people who read it have the expectation that all needed information will be posted here on the site. No offense is intended but it is simple computer security. I don't want to open a file of unknown provenance and even less do I want to go to a third party site to open files (no matter how secure you may feel that they are). If you don't know how to do it or to use spoilers here on LoversLab (LL) simply ask.

Here is my FNIS log

Spoiler

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   14/01/2019 6:37:29 PM
Skyrim 32bit: 1.9.32.0 - D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: Unknown (99 bones)   male: Unknown (99 bones)
Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations" 
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix" 

Reading ZaZAnimationPack+ V8.00  ( 14 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...
Reading ZaZAnimationPack V8.00  ( 276 furniture, 45 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...
Reading XPMSE V7.2  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 164 alternate animations) ...
Reading SexLabCreature V1.61 ...
Reading SexLabAroused V?.? ...
Reading SexLab V1.62 ...
Reading RealFlying V1.00 ...
Reading FNISCreatureVersion V6.1 ...
Reading FNISBase V7.4.5 ...
Reading Deviously Cursed Loot V6.3  ( 0 furniture, 1 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...
Reading DeviousFollowers V1.00  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 34 alternate animations) ...
Reading DDSL V4.0.0 ...
Reading DD3 V4.1.0  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 102 alternate animations) ...
Reading DD2 V4.0.0  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 330 alternate animations) ...
Reading DD V4.0.0  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 493 alternate animations) ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files...
No GENDER directory male
No GENDER directory female
Alternate Animation mods: 5 sets: 46 total groups: 185 added file slots: 1428 alternate files: 1123

Create Creature Behaviors ...
Reading SexLabCreature V1.62 ...

4586 animations for 15 mods successfully included (character)
 322 animations for 1 mods and 18 creatures successfully included.

0 possible consistence issues

thanks for taking a look.

As for the outside links sorry about that. In researching trying to fix the problem myself I saw that's how people were posting that info on other sites so i assumed it was the norm. Now i know for next time.

Nothing to do with your problem but you don't need the GENDER Specific Animations box ticked and you need to reinstall XPMSE skeleton and let it overwrite all. It will show as:

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)   male: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)

rather than:

Might be an MO2 issue, some people say it's not good with LE Skyrim. Do you hear the sound of a driver failing (a blip-blip)? You could try updating your video drivers if it's not MO2. 

Spoiler
10 hours ago, trebor666 said:

Here is my FNIS log

Hide contents

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   14/01/2019 6:37:29 PM
Skyrim 32bit: 1.9.32.0 - D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Reading ZaZAnimationPack+ V8.00  ( 14 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...
Reading ZaZAnimationPack V8.00  ( 276 furniture, 45 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...
Reading XPMSE V7.2  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 164 alternate animations) ...
Reading SexLab V1.62 ...
Reading Deviously Cursed Loot V6.3  ( 0 furniture, 1 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...
Reading DeviousFollowers V1.00  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 34 alternate animations) ...
Reading DDSL V4.0.0 ...
Reading DD3 V4.1.0  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 102 alternate animations) ...
Reading DD2 V4.0.0  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 330 alternate animations) ...
Reading DD V4.0.0  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 493 alternate animations) ...

No GENDER directory male
Alternate Animation mods: 5 sets: 46 total groups: 185 added file slots: 1428 alternate files: 1123

thanks for taking a look.

As for the outside links sorry about that. In researching trying to fix the problem myself I saw that's how people were posting that info on other sites so i assumed it was the norm. Now i know for next time.

What Grey CLoud said is entirely correct. You do NOT have too many animations (even with 1123 alternate animations). Your skeleton is likely your issue. Whatever mod manager you use try moving XPMSE to the end of your load order (just before alternate start). Make certain that your skeleton is up to date. It should be the current one by Groovtama. The version on LoversLab can be found here:

If you go to download it (sometimes deleting the old and adding the new works) the version you want is on the top (the one on the bottom is for SE).

When you're done run FNIS again. As Grey Cloud said, the description of your skeleton should have 115 bones. If it does, and there are no warnings or errors listed, and you've moved the skeleton down your load order try to start the game again and let us know what happens.

On 1/15/2019 at 4:54 AM, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

What Grey CLoud said is entirely correct. You do NOT have too many animations (even with 1123 alternate animations). Your skeleton is likely your issue. Whatever mod manager you use try moving XPMSE to the end of your load order (just before alternate start). Make certain that your skeleton is up to date. It should be the current one by Groovtama. The version on LoversLab can be found here:

If you go to download it (sometimes deleting the old and adding the new works) the version you want is on the top (the one on the bottom is for SE).

When you're done run FNIS again. As Grey Cloud said, the description of your skeleton should have 115 bones. If it does, and there are no warnings or errors listed, and you've moved the skeleton down your load order try to start the game again and let us know what happens.

Finally had time to bash my head against this for a bit. Still have not solved the problem. when i run FNIS i initially get an error about missing temporary files so i thought i must have missed an install step. found a youtube video about how to set it up and apparently there is a built in FNIS tool for MO2. set that up but it doesn't output a log like the regular FNIS windowed exe so I'm not sure if its giving the same skeleton issue. i think at this point I'm going to have to try a different mod manager. 

Spoiler
5 hours ago, trebor666 said:

Finally had time to bash my head against this for a bit. Still have not solved the problem. when i run FNIS i initially get an error about missing temporary files so i thought i must have missed an install step. found a youtube video about how to set it up and apparently there is a built in FNIS tool for MO2. set that up but it doesn't output a log like the regular FNIS windowed exe so I'm not sure if its giving the same skeleton issue. i think at this point I'm going to have to try a different mod manager. 

Fore has said, for as long as there has been an FNIS, that it doesn't work right with MO. However, whether you change and to what are entirely up to you. If at any point you want further help just let me know and be prepared to post another copy of your FNIS output.

Ok so i found the proper way to make FNIS run in MO2 but I'm still getting a black screen on launch.

Here is the new FNIS log

Spoiler

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   18/01/2019 7:24:51 PM

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)   male: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)

Reading SexLab V1.62 ...
Reading DDSL V4.0.0 ...

No GENDER directory male

looks like it has the proper skeleton now. Does anyone have some suggestions for mod managers for legacy skyrim? i used to use NMM i liked the simplicity of it and i don't use multiple profiles so that's kinda a wasted feature for me.

Spoiler
11 hours ago, trebor666 said:

Ok so i found the proper way to make FNIS run in MO2 but I'm still getting a black screen on launch.

Here is the new FNIS log

Hide contents

FNIS Behavior V7.4.5   18/01/2019 7:24:51 PM

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)   male: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)

Reading SexLab V1.62 ...
Reading DDSL V4.0.0 ...

No GENDER directory male

looks like it has the proper skeleton now. Does anyone have some suggestions for mod managers for legacy skyrim? i used to use NMM i liked the simplicity of it and i don't use multiple profiles so that's kinda a wasted feature for me.

FNIS output look okay. So, let's go back a step. Run LOOT and see if it gives you any errors. Or, if you are using NMM still, look for mods that show up in red on your mod list.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:23 AM, trebor666 said:

when i try and launch my game i hear the sound for the Bethesda logo and then the main menu music kicks in but my screen stays black. the game is not frozen, I can use the arrow keys to manipulate the menu, I just have no visual. When i remove ZAZ animation pack i get visuals back. I've tried installing a memory fix but it still doesn't work. Any guidance would be very appreciated.

You say "but my screen stays black" and i need ask because you can have two diferent problems.

Your screen is really black??? Totally black???  Or maybe you see the smoke moving...

If you see the smoke and listen the music but not have main menu is a problem caused by a mod. Remove mod's until locate the problem.

If you have a really black screen totally black can be a problem in the graphics resolution configuration of the game.

You can try change the graphics resolution of the game with Skyrim Launcher. Or can download BethIni for manage the INI files.

Also, you can manually RENAME skyrim.ini and skyrimpref.ini

If you are ussing NMM go to Documents\My Games\Skyrim and RENAME skyrim.ini and skyrimpref.ini

If you are ussing MO you must RENAME the INI files located in the [PROFILE] of MO. In my machine are located in: D:\Games\Mod Organizer\profiles\Default

The game auto generate new files when start it. Launch the game and look if problem is solved.

Finally can be a problem in the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor.

If you have a monitor in 21/9 or a refresh rate over 60 hz that can give some problems with some old games because can not support it.

One option is configure the game for windowed mode with Skyrim Launcher or BethIni 

Other option is change the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor to standard full hd of 1920x1080 at 60 hz.

On 1/19/2019 at 8:07 AM, GenioMaestro said:

You say "but my screen stays black" and i need ask because you can have two diferent problems.

Your screen is really black??? Totally black???  Or maybe you see the smoke moving...

If you see the smoke and listen the music but not have main menu is a problem caused by a mod. Remove mod's until locate the problem.

If you have a really black screen totally black can be a problem in the graphics resolution configuration of the game.

You can try change the graphics resolution of the game with Skyrim Launcher. Or can download BethIni for manage the INI files.

Also, you can manually RENAME skyrim.ini and skyrimpref.ini

If you are ussing NMM go to Documents\My Games\Skyrim and RENAME skyrim.ini and skyrimpref.ini

If you are ussing MO you must RENAME the INI files located in the [PROFILE] of MO. In my machine are located in: D:\Games\Mod Organizer\profiles\Default

The game auto generate new files when start it. Launch the game and look if problem is solved.

Finally can be a problem in the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor.

If you have a monitor in 21/9 or a refresh rate over 60 hz that can give some problems with some old games because can not support it.

One option is configure the game for windowed mode with Skyrim Launcher or BethIni 

Other option is change the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor to standard full hd of 1920x1080 at 60 hz.

Hi, The screen is totally black no smoke loading graphic or anything. I can hear the music for the main menu and i can use the menu options with the arrow keys but i get zero visuals. I've narrowed it down to zaz animation pack i tried the legacy version 7 and the new version 8 but whenever i install one i lose all visuals.

On 1/19/2019 at 6:56 AM, Psalam said:
  Reveal hidden contents

FNIS output look okay. So, let's go back a step. Run LOOT and see if it gives you any errors. Or, if you are using NMM still, look for mods that show up in red on your mod list.

I get no error messages from LOOT just a few warnings for mods that should be cleaned.

Archived