Why do you play as a MALE/FEMALE ?

First, tell what is your gender in real life, then tell what gender do you like to play, and describe the reason for it. Be honest!

Let me start.

I'm a male and I play ONLY female characters.

There probably a lot of reasons, I'll try to list them.

-I do play a female character because, I feel like I can explore the feeling of being a girl. Whenever there's a game in which I can decide my gender I go for female. I feel like I fit better on their corpse, while when I play a male character I don't feel as conformable, I just don't connect as much.

- Maybe it's a way to release a rigid patter of behaviors we are supposed to act as male in society. You are supposed to be manly, insensitive, rude, brave, strong, assertive, while being a girl you can be vulnerable, weak, gentle, shy, but at the same time, a Hero... and pretty, and care about clothing and shoes and lingerie....

-The idea of being a girl teases me, I'd totally be Valentina (my ladyboy character on Skyrim) IRL, she is in fact a shemale, no futa excuses, simple a man, with a nice big cock, that looks like a girl. Proud of what she is. I like the idea of gender mixture. Not like some transgenders approach like denying their male aspect, but rather accepting both male and female aspect.

I play both. Most of my main characters have been male chars with a given goal within the playthrough (ex. becoming a powerful wizard, slay all the dragons, collect certain books, become a master alchemist and so on, most of the unusual goals are possible due to mods). Then I play with fem chars to test and discover mods from here, but also because some of the character concepts I have happens to be females (but then again, most of those playthrough revolve around a main LL mod I want to try).

So far I've played as male! Not only do I play as male, I prefer to play as a Nord male.....AND.....I seem to find myself leaving him at his default appearance too! Because:

1) I like the way the fella looks....seriously the guy looks like one of the most hardcore characters I've ever seen....handsome too....somehow he pulls off both! RARE!

2) I like the story in Skyrim! Yeah I know you can roleplay as any race/gender blah blah blah. But IMO Male Nord seems to fit the story best, especially If you tend to play as a good guy most of the time like I do.

3) I always found playing a female character in these games a little distracting on my part, don't know why! I guess personal preference and all. Also I I'm boring as hell.

I guess those are all the reasons I can think of at the moment! And before anyone asks, no I do not have a problem with a bit of skimp in my game, even though it might come across that way. I mean why do you think I have profile here, LOL! But I prefer sexual encounters sparingly in-game, as long as it compliments the game I love it! However It starts taking over the game, then no!

29 minutes ago, TheAwesomeTRex said:

So far I've played as male! Not only do I play as male, I prefer to play as a Nord male.....AND.....I seem to find myself leaving him at his default appearance too! Because:

1) I like the way the fella looks....seriously the guy looks like one of the most hardcore characters I've ever seen....handsome too....somehow he pulls off both! RARE!

2) I like the story in Skyrim! Yeah I know you can roleplay as any race/gender blah blah blah. But IMO Male Nord seems to fit the story best, especially If you tend to play as a good guy most of the time like I do.

3) I always found playing a female character in these games a little distracting on my part, don't know why! I guess personal preference and all. Also I I'm boring as hell.

I guess those are all the reasons I can think of at the moment! And before anyone asks, no I do not have a problem with a bit of skimp in my game, even though it might come across that way. I mean why do you think I have profile here, LOL! But I prefer sexual encounters sparingly in-game, as long as it compliments the game I love it! However It starts taking over the game, then no!

Are you male or female in real life ?, if you're conformable answering it.

I'm a male and i love to play as a girl/woman because i love woman, everything aspect of them is beautiful, and i'm just a simple man i love them so much xD

and i'm asian, most of em who are playing MMO RPG will play as female character's because why? they love em so much

in other hand if i'm playing as male i can be a strong, good, attractive to female, heroic protagonist for example Shepard Mass effect, Geralt the witcher, Aragon from LOTR, Dante DMC, etc

and most of the armor for male are awesome as hell , while female armor you know, a sexy one, skimpy one xD

I'm female, and the *only* game I've ever played where I don't use a female character, is Halo, for reasons which should be obvious.

I've tried playing "male" a few times (once in EverQuest, remember that one? And once in Skyrim) and it just feels so odd.  I can't wrap my head around how men think, so I can't seem to roleplay them in a way that's immersive.

In all honesty, I roleplay pretty much my real self, except of course, the real me can't Shout and doesn't live in a magic and myths world.  But that's what I like about Skyrim (and MassEffect, and Halo... I need to learn more games, don't I?) is that I can be me -- in a fantasy world.  That's how I immerse.

I always have male followers, though.  I ditched Lydia about 5 minutes after getting her the first time all those years ago, and I paid Jenassa off and sent her back to the Drunken Huntsman after our first adventure together.

I rarely wear skimpy armor (seriously? fight a dragon in nipple rings and chainmail panties?  Um, no thanks, I want to live through it!) and I rarely have my followers in skimpies, either.  I do love SoS on my followers, and I love watching them get sexxed up, though. (which I guess explains why I like PuppetMaster so much.)

I'm male and I almost always play Skyrim as a female for two reasons. First, many of the well thought out and best developed mods are designed for female PCs, and second, if I'm going to spend time watching my character run around in 3rd person from the rear, I'd much rather watch a female sexy animation.

So, to the OP, are you asking because you're a grad student doing "research" for a psychology/sociology/"studies" project, or are you really just interested for yourself?

Because I can. That goes for whatever gender, race, species or status of life or undeath is available to play in whatever game that I care to play.

Divinity Original Sin 2, The Sims 4 and Amorous have been quite a bit more accommodating than most in providing more categories of character to play without the use of mods, including plenty of overlap with options such as zombie lizard people, intersex vampires/aliens or whatever else one can cook up:

2033028585_BaseProfileScreenshot2018_10.04-00_49_12_21.thumb.png.cbbe10aae256e563c7dd9a3095a15ac1.png

I'm male, and I've played as female since Fallout 3. The simple reason is that I started using 3rd person when not in combat, and the male running animations was so painful to look at that I had to switch to female. Following Ronald Laren from Girdershade to Nuka factory became a very disturbing session, but I had to, to trigger some random events that would finish him off, because I wanted the gun.

I'm male and play females since... Baldurs gate? I only remember that it didn't really make a difference visually, but i tried it and liked it. I think the main point is that i don't like to play "me". I'm me often enough, in games i want something different and for me it's much easier to be "not me" as a female. 

Plus, with newer games it's much more appealing to stare at my characters butt for thousands of hours.

I'm a male but mostly play female characters in games like this. Much of the game-play in Skyrim is stuff I have done in life as a male, so I wanted a different perspective.

I was trained in the use of most weaponry (swords, spears, knives, bows, and of course guns) and several styles of marshal arts (judo, boxing, karate and wrestling). Learned important survival skills (traps, shelter and food gathering). Was a rather decent athlete in years gone by so hiking across the countryside not so bad.

Join the Stormcloaks/Imperials/Companions: that would be military service.

Join the Thieves Guild: well I was quite the delinquent early on so some breaking and entering as well as petty larceny may or may not have happened. ?

Fetch Quests: worked as a laborer and a delivery driver.

Search Ruins: was an avid spelunker and paranormal debunker.

Kill Dangerous Creatures: was a successful hunter.

As for the killing people and saving the world well maybe not so much.

Plus I like to play in third person mode and as NAZZZGUL666 said "it's much more appealing to stare at my characters butt for thousands of hours."

I play both, favoring women probably... 66% to 75% of the time.

I play women more often because I like eye candy, and because they often have more outfits to choose from.

However, I generally take character seriously, and am not in the business of making glorified fuck-dolls.  Sometimes, the character I want to make simply isn't female.  Take my avatar, Maechen, or my more recent male character Caddius.  While there isn't much reason I couldn't have made them women, the characters simply... felt more right as men.  Making men does give me a little bit more wiggle room to self-insert, as well.  Maechen represents a lot of what I wish I had and could be, while staying true to the traits I most closely identify with.  Caddius isn't so much a self-insert, but rather is his own thing, spawned from a thought that was put in my head by a pm some time ago... but I haven't gotten around to the stuff I need to do to fully realize him so I'll have to leave it at that.

I find this topic fascinating since there's such a huge array of reasons why people play what they play.

That's a good question, and I've never really thought about why I always play male characters, as close to representing me IRL as possible.  The only thing I can think of is because I have some part of me that gets really irritated when I have to disconnect my player avatar from my self.  It's like my subconscious keeps saying, "those aren't my boobs.  and that's not my ass."

Going further, it seems I treat my games as an escape from reality, and really get into them.

Y'all need JESUS

Seriously though I can't connect with Male characters, I need to be able to play as a Female, Weird? yeah. Possible a sign of repressed Gender dysphoria? Maybe. But that it's even possible to have an outlet like video games to play as a character who is a different gender is great!

I actually can't play The Witcher because Geralt is just to manly...

Archived